Lamenters questions

Iduddy

I have been plotting a fluffy Lamenter army.  I have a couple of questions about the heraldry.  Namely which companies remain active following the Badab War, unit identification, company markings.  I would like to a fully fluffy painter army with the correct markings.  Any help would be great.

There's quite a few Lamenters players on this forum and of those, there are a number which have active blogs right now. From one such blog:

I'm away from my stuff, but generally speaking I always try to mimic Babad War images. They can be easily Google'd if you lack the Badab IA books.

IA IX, page 110, 114 and 115 has Lamenter vehicle markings

Another Frater, the esteemed Carlson793, was very kind to create Badab Campaign badges, as seen on the Lamenter vehicles mentioned just above by Jolemai, for transfer sheets. They look great and are perfect size. Please forgive this messy post I am guerilla posting on holiday.

Not sure if that's any help but it might be a start.

If I may, have you got any to paint and would like to start before the 15th June? msn-wink.gif

Another frater is lulled into the mustard-tinged bliss of the Lamenters!

In reply to OPs statement about the chapters organization post-Badab, it has not been directly addressed in official GW-published/affiliated literature.

Most likely? The 2nd, 3rd and 4th companies are filled to capacity as available. The chapter is prohibited from recruiting, so I would imagine all scouts are/were promoted to battle brother status as quickly as possible. The 1st company was possibly not filled up as the chapter probably wouldn't put non-veteran members into those roles.

An issue that many Lamenters fans decide to address, at least for themselves, is: Does the chapter survive its penitence crusade long enough to begin recruiting? If yes, you can do anything plausibly but you're imagining them beyond the current time in the setting. If no, you're modeling them during or before Badab's conclusion. Personally, I think post-Badab is a worse choice because their war material was all but spent (or taken by some jerks I won't honor by naming). The chapter, at that point, would be down to Rhinos and pitchforks.

Well it is shaping up that my gaming group is getting some Badab War fever.  Really when you think about it the Badab War is the direct to DVD sequel to the Horus Heresy.  With that in mind I am thinking of during the war. 

Specifically I am wondering about company markings and squad markings. I know that early on that they were not subjected to the Black Rage and Red Thirst, however it has been noted that recently those flaws began appearing.  Since the Badab War was in the last century of M41, units like the Death Company would be usable. 

As far as I've been able to piece together from googled pics (not as easy as Jolemai suggests -- or maybe my google-fu just isn't nearly as good as his), since the Badab War books are too rich for my blood just for a few pictures, the Lamenters have their company denoted on their right pauldron using "Arabic" numerals. If you look at the numbers in the bottom-right corner of the Space Marine Transfer Sheet, that is what I'm talking about. I have seen some pictures where they have underneath the company number the Troops.gif for tacticals in black then the number in white. I have seen other pics where there is simply a black company number.

Chapter badge with the chequy pattern on the right pauldron.

I have seen some pics where the left knee pad is a different colour, perhaps denoting squad number. I have seen other pics where the right knee pad has a symbol on it (for example, crossed swords) and I am not sure whether this is supposed to be a campaign badge or a squad marking.

In my PLOG (linked in my signature) I have attempted to give my Angels Sorrowful similar heraldry to Lamenters with just a few changes (for example, I give sergeants black pauldrons like BA, which does not appear to be normal for Lamenters ... I have not been able to find canon pics of Lamenters sergeants).

In short, there does not seem to be consistency in the GW drawings of Lamenters so you have some flexibility.

The Badab books are bit iffy when it comes to markings. 
IIRC someone did email FW years ago asking about the swords and they were told it was the Assault squad designation. Crossed swords are a codex approved variant marking (see 3rd edition vanilla codex and Insignium Astartes).

This fella, http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:LamSgt.jpg Veteran Sergeant Imagno, clearly bears the codex squad designation of the 7th Veteran Squad, with the variant Assault designation on his left leg. Common sense dictates that this is a marine from the 1st Company 7th Veteran Squad, with he Assault marking presumably denoting the squad is currently functioning as a Vanguard squad. Instead the guy labelling the pictures in IAvol9 decided to declare him 7th company.. even though the 7th company is a Tactical company that contains neither Veteran nor Assault squads.. (Speeder crews retain their existing squad designation). There are several other chapters in the books where the guy makes the same n00b mistake. 

The example squad all bear the crossed swords and the numeral 5 but all in varying locations, the locations are a bit more far-flung but that was very much the in-thing in 5th edition, even the Ultras did it (GW have toned it down a bit since then).
The guy declares the squad to be the 3rd (assault) squad of the 5th company..
But although Blood Angels typically eschew numerical designations on a marines armour in favour of a heraldic designation, the squad *does* still have a number, and those numbers follow the codex standard with battle company assault squads being 7 & 8.. 
My interpretation of that is that they are 5th squad, 8th company, with both Imagno and squad Volturno lacking any company designation, either because the chapter as a whole eschews them or because in cases of both squads their squad markings make a particular company marking unecessary, I believe the coloured kneepad when used would be to denote company (I'm aware of no canon chapter since Scythes of the Emperor back in 1st edition to use colour to denote squad). 

After looking around a bit I decided to run the Second Company.  Being a fleet based chapter I plan to use a lot of drop pods.  Already converted Chapter Master Pharos, a command squad, and a tac squad.

Cool stuff! I considered committing as a Lamenters player early on, but I think I prefer being generic BA. It has to do with the special characters.

Anyway, I feel like the Lamenters are essentially as epic as blood Angels, but taken to 11, and with less appreciation, which is part of what makes them awesome.

Cool stuff! I considered committing as a Lamenters player early on, but I think I prefer being generic BA. It has to do with the special characters.

Anyway, I feel like the Lamenters are essentially as epic as blood Angels, but taken to 11, and with less appreciation, which is part of what makes them awesome.

Well according to the Forge World rules for Lamenters, they play as generic Blood Angels.  They get no special chapter tactics, only a special character.  Although to be fair Chapter Master Phoros is kind of a beast.  He gives a hatred bubble, a 12 inch range melta pistol, and gets better when wounded. 

Archived