Painting Hazard Stripes Qs

Lo, B&C

Been looking across the web ways, and the like for ways to paint hazard stripes. I've seen the easiest way is to use painters tape, but all I've been able to find lately is 3M tape which is about twice the size I actually want/need for my hazard stripes.

I have the gist on colors, my question is for smaller hazard stripes what sizes of hobby painters tape do I need that will also keep the paint from bleeding through without bonding to the plastic? I'd rather just buy the sizes I need instead of cutting the strips because I'm fearful they will not come out equal.

Tamiya makes masking tape that comes in a variety of sizes.  I bought some off amazon in the 2mm wide and 6mm wide varieties for making hazard stripes on weapons and drop pods.  I haven't tried it out yet so I can't speak to how good it is, but it may be a option for you.

Tamiya makes masking tape that comes in a variety of sizes. I bought some off amazon in the 2mm wide and 6mm wide varieties for making hazard stripes on weapons and drop pods. I haven't tried it out yet so I can't speak to how good it is, but it may be a option for you.

Thanks! I've looked at Tayima, I was more keen on learning the sizes I might need for each. Such as drop pods, I've seen some super small for Bolters that look nice. Thanks for the reply!

I use Tamiya 6mm masking tape when I need to. It's excelent stuff as far as adherance without leaving residue goes. Size wise for vehicles 6mm is probably about right. You can always trim it with a knife and a ruler down to 3mm if you need thinner, or different shapes. I've not seen it but 2mm would probably be a good fit for chainswords etc. If I need wider than 6, I use standard painters tape, but I'll use the 6mm to create the sharp edge, then cover the remainder with the other stuff (wider and cheaper).

I use Tamiya 6mm masking tape when I need to. It's excelent stuff as far as adherance without leaving residue goes. Size wise for vehicles 6mm is probably about right. You can always trim it with a knife and a rular down to 3mm if you need thinner, or different shapes. I've not seen it but 2mm would probably be a good fit for chainswords etc. If I need wider than 6, I use standard painters tape, but I'll use the 6mm to create the sharp edge, then cover the remainder with the other stuff (wider and cheaper).

The Tamiya 2mm I have isn't really a masking tape, but more of a plastic material.  The packaging material says that it is masking tape for curves, so the plastic lets it be stretched into a curve if you want.  For size comparison I've included a photo below of 6mm tape on the drop pod and 2mm tape on the chain sword.  Hope this helps.

Masking tape comparison

I swear by the Tamiya tape, but i do trim it to the size i want,just use a metal ruler and stick a piece down the size you want onto your cutting mat/board and trim it...it takes a wee bit of the stickyness off of it so that kinda helps too on removal... see below

med_gallery_9146_2675_2248317.jpg med_gallery_9146_2675_165477.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_378471.jpg

cheers Mithril

Actually, I picked up some 1/8" and 1/4" pin striping tape from a motor shop, the adhesive is meant to be adjustable on cars, but leaves behind no residue. It is reasonably strong and yet easily removable while retaining a smooth surface. That looks brilliant btw!

Some of us aren't as talented as you mate

Less talent, more practice - I have a decent sized iron warriors army.  won't tell you how much cleaning up I had to do on that speeder...

Ultimately, painting hazard stripes is just painting straight lines, it's not particularly complex.

They key is long, smooth brush strokes, with thinned paint. Using a longer bristled brush helps keep the lines straighter.

• 9 months later...

Using many different tapes (painters, of course), the best successes I've had is AFTER you apply the tape in the pattern you want, make sure that you paint a thin layer of the starting color (whatever the color is under the tape) OVER the edges of the tape. This will actually prevent the hazard color from bleeding under your tape, and saves a boatload of time in clean up after the tape is pulled.

Using many different tapes (painters, of course), the best successes I've had is AFTER you apply the tape in the pattern you want, make sure that you paint a thin layer of the starting color (whatever the color is under the tape) OVER the edges of the tape. This will actually prevent the hazard color from bleeding under your tape, and saves a boatload of time in clean up after the tape is pulled.

yeah, that right there... GOLD JERRY! GOLD!.

Mithril

I heartily recommend Masking Tape.  It doesn't matter if its a little wide - just trim it with a hobby knife and apply.  Its also excellent for chequer patterns as well.

Screenshot_17.jpg

And above all - make sure you press it on firmly. And follow Ryan's above advice. :)

Archived