++ROUND 2, FIGHT 1++

Epistolary Fayyad: ML2 psyker of the Sanguine Discipline with the Gillian's Staff, a bolt pistol, and a jump pack. 3 re-rolls

Fayyad rolls blood boil, Blood Lance. Weird.

Captain Gallan: Storm Bolter, Thunderhammer, Storm Shield, Artificier Armor 

++BEGIN++

One the burning debris of Darr’knight’s astartes bike had been cleared from the arena, the next competitors entered. Fayyad stepped forth, the engines of his jump pack spinning up to a high pitched whine, ready for action. Gallan hefting the bulk of his hammer, testing the weight, and rolling his shoulders.

Another two of our successors vie for the honour of being crowned champion. We shall see within whose blood Sanguinius’s strength flows greatest. Begin.

Taking flight, Fayyad traced an arcane sigil in the air before him as he rose. Gallan made to advance, and was hit by the actinic tang in the air of sorcery, the taste of copper in his mouth as his gums began to bleed. He could not move, his head spinning, the temperature rising. He had to overcome. Spitting a wad of blood through his vox grille, Gallan changed tactic and aimed his storm bolter at Fayyad, filling the air with bolt rounds – the air intake on Fayyads jump pack was the target, and the inhalation of shrapnel choked turbines. Suddenly affected by gravity, the Blue armoured warrior fell from the air to the ground, landing heavily with a crunch, causing Fayyad to grimace as his femur splintered.

Distracted by this, Fayyad’s concentration slipped before he could fully cripple the Lamenter. Snarling with rage as the easy victory was snatched from him, Fayyad whipped his bolt pistol around, fixing Gallan in his sights, the captain still reeling from the psychic onslaught. Rounds stitched the ground before Gallan, who only just managed to bring his shield up in time – nevertheless, a stray round deflected from the shield and punctured the flex tubing at Gallans waist, tearing into his hip. Blood staining his yellow armour, Gallan advanced behind his shield toward his opponent, determined to prove his worth and at least dent the librarians armour.

Fayyad met the Lamenter head on, slamming the captain back with a vicious cross check with his force staff before switching grip to rain down a series of savage blows, the normally balanced nature of the Sanguine Sword slipping momentarily as the rage of battle took him, Gallan allowed the librarian to rain down blows upon him, his faith in his artificers creation his shield, and began to swing his relic hammer. Too late, did the red mist slip from Fayyad’s vision, he brought his force staff up to block the hammer blow, however it was not enough, the Lamenter’s weapon breaking through his guard and impacting his chest, cracking his cuirass and breaking several ribs. Fayyad was down. Although his armour was rent, torn and broken, Gallan still stood.

Roll off: Fayyad gets 11, Gallan gets 10, Fayyads jump pack seals his initiative.

Jumping 12” forwards,Fayyad Moves towards Gallan, rolls a 5 for warp charge. One dice on force. Fails. Cast a random spell from Quickening, Blood Boil, Blood Lance and blood boil is chosen. Cast on 3 warp charge. Gallan fails to deny. Gallan rolls a 3 and a 5, losing a wound. The lack of rerolls coming into play.

Fayyad looses his bolt pistol towards Gallan, hit, wound, failed save! Preparing to charge, Fayyad rolls an 8, more than enough to get into combat. Gallan’s overwatch is brutal though, 2 hits, 2 wounds, one failed save, reroll still failed.
Both combatants are now on a single wound!
Fayyad strikes first with the staff. 4 attacks, 4 hits using 1 reroll, 4 wounds using the final reroll, 4 saves from Gallan! This is it, surely. Gallan strikes back with 3 attacks, 2 hits on sixes, 2 wounds. Fayyad has no way of saving and loses the fight.

Victory to the Lamenter. 

Edited by Xenith

Lazare rises from the corner where he has been praying on one knee to the Emperor. He walks into the arena in his ancient armor to face the Chaplain in a battle of faith. Resting a hand on the pommel of his great powersword he closes his eyes in concentration, forcing away dangerous thoughts.

"My faith is my shield."

Edited by appiah5

I actually rerolled Fayyads powers, and they came up identical with Blood Boil and Blood Lance. At that point I thought Gallan was a goner. Very close and entertaining fight.

Fayyad was brutal with 4 hits and wounds on the charge. That could have sealed it, but Gallan's armour was proof against.

Way to go to the man in yellow - Zendrenael always did admire the mythical and noble warrior "Big Bird".

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/Brendanguilford/3DB6123F-0925-4F8B-9E97-65AD19134BDE_zpslxeprx6m.jpg

Just how many "penitent crusades" do you want the Lamenters to be sent on?

Good question. The only ones on the BA warlord table would be speed, artisan or soul warden. Soul warden would have no use 1/3 of the time, speed no use on captains unless vs another captain, but then unwieldy weapons...

Rerolls and quickening would be superior to both in either case, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

++ROUND 2, FIGHT 2++

Chaplain Pontius Contristatus of the Angels Sorrowful: Infernus pistol, jump pack, 2 re-rolls.

Captain Lazare of the 5th Company: Terminator Armor, Iron Halo, Storm Bolter, Power Sword, 2 Re-Rolls.

++BEGIN++

“Gallan moves forward in the trials” Castigon’s vox amped voice echoed through the arena, “Let the next fight begin”. Nearby, Zendrenael nudged a servitor: “I bet he tries that thing with the infernus pistol again”. The servitor looked on with dead eyes, then went back to sweeping up the pile of sunflower seed shells building up around the captains feet.

Contristratus arced through the air before the vox crackle from Castigons words had faded, taking Lazare by surprise as he readied himself in his bulky tactical dreadnought armour. The black clad angel was illuminated by the flash of his hissing infernus pistol, the beam of radiation stretching out to cook Lazare. This would be over swiftly. It was a shame his opponents fell too easily.

“Told ya” said Zendrenael, backhanding the servitor gently, sending it through a stone slab 10 metres behind him.

Captain Lazare had fought many foes in his lifetime, however, and the chaplain, like so many of his kind was a creature of habit, readable, his desire for the swift kill evident in every action.

Lazare turned his left side into the beam, placing his faith in the Emperor and the crux on his shoulder that his armour would be proof. The keen energised edge of Lazare’s power sword met the energy beam head on, the powered edge splitting the beam as it reached for him, half meeting the stone icon of the crux, the other half peeling the armour from his chest plastron and scorching the flesh of his cheek.

Gritting his teeth, the smell of cooked meat in his nostrils, Lazare swung his storm bolter round, the approaching chaplain an easy target. Two shots rang out, Lazare skill honed over a lifetime hitting the chaplain square in the face, leaving his helm a smoking ruin, and thankfully halting his charge. As Contristratus stopped his approach, landing to unlock his helm, Lazare took the initiative, and charged… he was upon the chaplain as his helm came off. Eyes open with surprise, but he was still a space marine, and his pistol was up in a flash, cycled and ready to fire again, but Lazare was too close and batted the weapon to one side, the shot going wide, and the swords power field ruining the servo motors of the Chaplains glove, leaving his left hand a fused mess of bludgeoning ceramite.

Enraged at being denied the win, Contristratus let slip his composure and his blood ran hot, he loosed an awful roar and battered Lazare with his crozius, the divinity coursing through his veins unlocked hidden strength, and he pushed the captain back, blunting his charge. Lazare was on the defensive, doing his utmost to stop the chaplains winged crozius contacting his head, his blade a blur of light.

Contristratus wild backhanded swing and subsequent deflection by Lazare carried his crozius behind him, and he brought the sacred weapon over his head in a skull crushing parabola, determined to end the captains run at the feast. Raising his arm, Lazare opened his palm, allowing his blade to slide around in a reverse grip, and be held in front of him, a cross, like the crucifixes of the ancient catherics, however this was warding off more than ancient dogma, and it’s lethal tip remained pointed at the Chaplain. The crozius crashed into the flat of Lazare’s blade, the clashing power fields giving off a shower of sparks. The blow blocked, and Contristratus’s momentum spent, Lazare drove the balde downward in his reverse grip, through the chaplains thigh, the massive blade nearly pinning him to the ground. Collapsing to one knee, the pain bringing the chaplain back to his senses, Contristratus submitted.

Roll by Roll account:

Initiative roll: Contristratus: 9 Lazare 7.

Contristratus moves forwards 12” into infernus range. Hits, wounds, failed, reroll failed. Lazare takes a single wound.

Attempting to charge, Lazare gets double 6 on overwatch, 6 and a 3, rerolled to a 5 to wound, both saved by Contristratus. Contristraus rolls a 5 for charge distance, charge failed.

Lazare moves to within 1” of the chaplain. Storm bolter rolls a 1 and a 2, getting a single hit. 2 to wound. Charging in, Contristratus missed with the infernus on overwatch, hits with a lucky reroll. Wounds, Lazare passes the Iron halo save on a 4.

Combat: Lazare goes first with 4 attacks. 1,3,3,6. Good job he’s WS6! 3,3,2 to wound, 2 rosarius saves for Contristratus. 1 failed, even with the last reroll. Attacking back, Contristratus get s 2 hits with hatred, causing 2 wounds, both passed by Lazare.

R2: Lazare: 3 hits, 1 wound, passed. Cont: 2 hits, 1 wound, passed.

R3: Lazare 2 hits, no wounds. Cont: 2 hits, 2 wounds, both saved.

R4: Lazare: 3 hits, 1 wound, failed rosarius save. Contristratus is out.

No.

Standings

gallery_58096_12316_251007.jpg
Edited by Xenith

Why did the infernus pistol not cause instant death as it did in the first battle? Is there a house rule that ID=D3 wounds that I forgot about (on a mobile device so too lazy to manually click back to page 1)

Either way well fought! I'll do my fluff piece on the fight later.

Why did the infernus pistol not cause instant death as it did in the first battle? Is there a house rule that ID=D3 wounds that I forgot about (on a mobile device so too lazy to manually click back to page 1)

Either way well fought! I'll do my fluff piece on the fight later.

D2 Wounds.

Arena of Death rules:

• I will be the GM. Any decision I make is final, and mostly based on gut feeling
  • 160 points limit.
  • No named characters
  • The instant death rule is modified to cause D2 wounds instead.
  • Any character from Codex: Blood Angels is allowed, from a 1W Sgt to a Company Captain, at the cost listed in the appropriate datasheet in the codex.
  • Characters with special rules will always try to use them to their advantage.
  • In case of odd numbers I will have a stand in character ready.
  • First pairings are random, further parings will follow a bracket scheme.
  • Make an awesome Champion to duke it out with your fellow Frater's Champions

++ROUND 2, FIGHT 3++

Veteran Vanguard Sgt Trous representing Scarlet Mantle, successor to the Blood Angels.

- Jump Pack- Storm Shield- Relic Blade- Six re-rolls. 147pts

Slantien 1 mastery level 2 librarian in TDA with a force axe and a storm shield and 2 rerolls. Comes to 155 points.  Please roll powers on biomancy.

++BEGIN++

Trous stepped into the ring, test firing his jump pack thrusters, feeling himself lift slightly from the ground. His opponent was Slantien, who had already dispatched his fellow sergeant, Brutus. The Librarian’s hulking form pounded into the ring, blotting out the torches behind, stones jittering on the ground at his thunderous footfalls. Mobility was key: “strike like the Sword Sanguine, fast, bloody and without mercy”. Trous’s thoughts darkened. He would bring honour to his chapter this day.

“Fight”.

Slantien saw the figure of Trous shoot towards him. Trous had not been idly spectating during the other fights, but keeping his equipment at peak operating conditions. Such was to be expected of one of his chapter’s finest sergeants. No matter. Slantien wore the winged blood tear upon his pauldron, and would not fail his chapter this day. Barely bringhis stormshield up in time, bolt rounds stitched across Slantien’s torso, but thankfully not biting into his armour and detonating, he focussed his mind, and drew upon the power of his spiritual liege…

Trous had the librarian staggered with his fusilade. It was over. He raised his ancient sword, and swung downwards, hewing the librarian like wheat…too much like wheat. There was no resistance there at all, and his blade passed through thin air, merely glancing off ceramite. Before he could process his confusion, a very corporeal axe swung through the air, biting into his side as Slantien emerged from his psychic shadow state. Trous dropped to a knee, hand covering his already clotting wound.

“I might be slow, Trous, but I don’t need to be fast when you cannot see me”. Slantien offered his hand to the wounded sergeant.

“Aye, my hubris got the best of me today, brother” Trous replied, taking the blue armoured gauntlet.

Roll by roll account

Slantien rolls on biomancy and gets iron arm (again) and haemorrhage. Uh oh. Trous’s storm shield has it’s work cut out for it.

Roll for initiative: Trous rolls 11 Slantien rolls 5. Trous goes first.

Trous fires his jump pack and lands 6” from Slantien, bolt pistol hits, wounds with reroll, saved.

Charges, passed on a 7. Trous has a relic blade vs the unwieldy force axe. 3 attacks 1 hit even with 2 rerolls, wounds on a 6, saved. Slantien attacks back, 2 hits, 2 wounds, 3 and a 1, 2 on the reroll, 4 on the rugged roll, 4 on the rugged reroll, Trous is down.

Slantien wins.

Great write up!    It was an honour, Slantien. May Sanguinius guide your blade in your next bout!  

Trous has done the chapter proud in advancing through even one round, however Trous remembers nothing but a haze going into the fight.

The Librarian’s hulking form pounded into the ring, blotting out the torches behind, blackening the silhouette of his massive foe. Debris jittered on the deck at each of the behemoth's thunderous footfalls as their gaze's met. Mobility would be key: “Strike like the Sword Sanguine, fast, bloody and without mercy”. Trous’s thoughts faded to darkness as the last bit of the arena fell away. He charged the black-clad giant, wings carrying him through the air.

Trous nest found himself on one knee, clutching his wounded flank. The crisp smell of sizzling blood snaps him awake.

“I might be slow, Trous, but I don’t need to be fast when you cannot see me”. Slantien offered his hand to the wounded sergeant.

“Aye, my hubris got the best of me today, brother” Trous replied, taking the blue armoured gauntlet.

Hi all, thanks for your patience regarding the feast, it's taken a lot longer than I anticipated, mainly due to me not making the time for it, combined with intrigue at work. I've head home for Christmas now, so am away from rules and dice for a while, we may not see any more updates until late Jan, where I'll be making an effort to find the winner!