Pyroclast91's Forge = Salamanders Primaris and Death Guard

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long absence my friends I've been posting most of my work on IG because of the ease of uploading photos compared to here. But the good news is I've been a busy pyroclast I have with shiny new toys and distractions.

20171009_110238.jpg

So I may have caved and gotten a redemptor before finishing all my primaris marines like said I wasn't going too.

20171013_150853.jpg

And if anyone reading this is still up in the air about getting a redemptor JUST DO IT this thing is an amazing kit which really shows off what GW is capable of producing now. The detail is top notch you don't even need to drill the barrels on the storm bolters. The poseability is fantastic and the model can be assembled to still have moving and interchangeable parts without needing magnets. I really hope this is the direction all gws bigger kits are going.

20171013_175517.jpg

Not only a joy to assemble but so far this beast has been fantastic to paint.

20171015_214740.jpg

20171015_214817.jpg

20171025_071952.jpg

And anyone who knows me knows I couldn't possibly just be working on one project oh no no not this guy.

20171013_231125.jpg

20171025_071451.jpg

I started to come to the conclusion while test painting some foam rocks that my single tile just wouldn't be sufficient. So I started another tile.

20171022_173821.jpg

This is how I start my expanding foam terrain I use cardboard boxes to make the hollow inside of the mountain.

20171022_174205.jpg

Next I start by applying a layer of foam around the perimeter of the boxes.

20171022_174931.jpg

Continue covering the boxes with a layer of foam the trick I've learned is much like everything else patience will pay off I the long run. Try to make your layers of foam as thin as you can and allow them to dry before applying the next layer. If you get impatient like myself and lay your foam on too thick you'll end up with pockets of wet foam and when you cut into your mountain it will become a volcano. And trust me its not the kind of volcanoe you want.

20171022_174943.jpg

On this mountain I decided to add a silo and some piping as well as a tower that will have some sort of industrial building perched atop it.

20171025_071613.jpg

I got a little carried away and forgot to take pictures of the carving bit but it's petty straight forward just cut rock shapes. Some people like to seal there foam with pva glue instead I used spray on truck bed liner which not only has a rocky texture but once dry its a paintable plastic shell you can hit with a hammer if you want. After that I wanted to try out a way of spray painting rocks and I think it worked out pretty well.

20171025_072958.jpg

I also started working on the tower for mountain A my goal is to give this board the feeling of being a forge world covered in various mines and forge complexes. With plenty of subterranean tunnels and industrial ruins.

20171025_072950.jpg

20171025_071934.jpg

I even started working on some death guard so maybe ill even be able to play some games with the misses on these fancy new boards once they're done.

Awesome. Absolutely awesome.

When I first saw that redemptor I eye-rolled so hard. "Just what we needed in 40k, another dreadnought" has been my whole attitude about it. Now I see that redemptor kit more and more and it is tempting me to get one. I have been seeing them get chaos-ed up too which keeps sweetening the deal.

The terrain is also awesome. I find it positively bad ass when someone makes terrain that good. Defintiely want to see some pictures of battle taking place on it. Maybe those new primaris of your versus your new Death Guard...

20171013_175517.jpg

Just a funny side note I thought that was a picture of a marine flexing in the background at first.

@Lord Commander Eidolon I have indeed my brother and its good to be back ill definitely be interested to see your DG as well I'm still trying to nail down exactly what DG scheme to go with but I think it'll probably end up being my take on the legions heresy era colors +10,000 years of corrosion and worship of the plague lord.

@ Vairocanum thanks man I'm pretty happy with the beast so far. I'm glad you like the direction I've gone with the dread I wanted this one being the first (of many) redemptor in my fleet to be pretty close to stock but that most certainly won't be true of the next two especially the IH one I'm planning. And the Death Guard are proving to be an interesting new challenge which is always welcomed.

@Hushrong honestly I had that thought for a moment at first myself but then my inner dreadnought fanboy kicked in and I was drooling like a teenage girl on a twilight fan page. The idea to turn one to the ruinous powers has been on my mind as well you know that could actually be a pretty awesome conversion/ painting event now that I think about it. Also I'm glad you like the terrain I'm pretty happy with how its turning out and I'll definitely be building more.

@ The Traitor I definitely recommend getting at least one you won't be disappointed. And the terrain was super simple so I'm glad it's turned out as well as it did.

Edited by Pyroclast91