Pyroclast91's Forge = Salamanders Primaris and Death Guard

Unfortunately I haven't made any real progress the last couple days but I feel like if I get out of the habit of posting I won't end up starting again. The good news is the reason I haven't been able to do much Nerding this week is because my better half and I are getting a duplex which is awesome and will mean I'll be able to spend a lot more time on my hobby work as now I'll finally have my own garage. Which means working at a desk with lamps instead of this

20160615_194958.jpgimgurl

You're looking at a big plastic tote full of mine and my old lady's books with a cardboard box on top of it for a table with everything else somewhat sorted into various shoe boxes which I've been stacking to use as work surfaces. The real problem with this setup besides the fact I spend hours hunched over like a monkey f#$@ing a football and I can barely walk when I stand up, is that I'm basically painting in the dark since my only light comes from 3 strategically placed flash lights. Maybe that explains part of why it takes me so long to paint anything since everything has to be set up and taken down every time I work on anything. So as you can probably imagine I'm pretty excited about the move and I think it's going to have a very positive impact on my hobby work so stay tuned I'll have more pics up once the new "Forge Fane" is finished until then maybe I'll work on some of my fluff and my army list I think they both could use it. Thanks for reading and for all of the advice and input so far it's really nice to have a community of people with a common passion to bounce ideas off of

• 2 weeks later...

SUPER EXCITING DAY!!!!! Well for me anyways me and my better half and my lil space wolf and blood angel in training finally got moved into our new place. Which is why I haven't updated in about a week but with all the lame adulting out of the way I finally got back to some plastic crack. Well sorta.... I got everything set up for what promises to be a much more productive and enjoyable hobby space

20160710_231840.jpgupload pics

That's rite no more painting hunched over a box with flashlights for this guy ;) I got me two of them fancy desk lamps errr... Lume globes? Either way forge complex Pyro Alpha is now operational and even has a shelf where I can store my shameful collection of half finished minis 20160710_231928.jpgimagen

Most of which I've gotten from friends since getting back into the hobby and haven't figured out what to do with. Basically I intend to convert what I can to make it 30k ish and then Emperor knows what I'm gonna do with the rest. So not a ton of actual paint work happening but I was so excited I had to share hopefully more models tomorrow

Got some actual painting done today and I'm happy to say I'm finally in the home stretch I believe. What do you think?

20160712_000640.jpgphotos upload

20160712_000739.jpgupload an image

C&C is greatly appreciated I'd love to hear what everybody thinks

Edited by Pyroclast91

Wow:wub.: ...hit striaght out of the park. The changes you made to the holsters are particulary pleasing to me anyway. They look great. One thing I would be in mind to do is give the bases a light wash with Agrax Earthshade it will bring out a touch more depth, then you can dry brush greys back over the top.

This thread is giving me a serious itch to get back to the XVIIIth....going to have to wait til post ETL though :cry:.

Keep the updates coming

@ Vairocanum- thank you very much the hot wheels aspect is one of my favorite parts of the XVIII legion

@our_baz- thank you for the praise as I'm pretty happy with them so far I'm glad you like them too. The holsters were definitely a learning experience I wanted to break them up and maybe make them look like they all came from different animals. Though I think I accomplished that the red I did came out way too cartooney I think, so Ill I'll probably avoid going for that much of a contrast in colors with such things in the future. As for the basing I'm glad you mentioned that and I'll definitely give it a shot. I've been trying to figure out what else to do to them as they strike me as a bit bland. I was thinking of raiding ye old bits bin and seeing what I can come up with I've also got some tiny barbed wire I might try.ANY suggestions on the matter would be GREATLY appreciated. And I will most certainly keep the updates coming thank you again for all your input.

@ Race Bannon- it's true tho rite? Lol yoink away brother.

Thank you all for the comments it makes it a lot easier top stay motivated . And I'm a firm believer that the best way to get better next to practice is through the sharing of ideas and the type of friendly critique we have in this community.

So now that I'm to the clean up bit of the process I suppose these updates will be somewhat boring. But progress is progress rite? Tonight I managed to go back over the shoulder pads with black and cover up my kindergarten lvl paint job. Then I got the scrolls and skull on the vexilla ready to be washed.And finally after a suggestion from our_baz I gave the bases a good liberal wash of agrax which the cork soaked up alarmingly quickly. I think it might take another wash or three before I get the desired effect but it will be done. Anywho on to the pictures

20160712_233230.jpghow to screen capture

20160712_233204.jpgforum image hosting

20160712_233141.jpgfree image host

20160712_233124.jpgimage hosting over 10mb

20160712_233000.jpgimage hosting more than 5mb

Thanks for checking out my work hopefully I'll finish this squad some day and then add a little diversity to this here thread. Any C&C is greatly appreciated

Finally finished vow number one and I have some mixed feelings about it. It's a relief to have my first ever vow and actual first fully painted squad finished (well except free hand on the right shoulders but that will be after I get my fluff hammered out)

20160716_225521.jpgimgur

20160716_221741.jpgimage hosting over 10mb

20160713_225635.jpgfree upload image

Now I just can't decide what to do next maybe my knight ? A Dreadnought? Another squad from my calth box? Ooooh the decisions anywho I'd love to hear what you think thanks for checking out my shenanigans

Alright time for the next vow I'm going with a salamanders contemptor, iron hands praetor, and the Lord Chaplain himself Nomus Rhy'tan I started with the dread which as any of you who have the calth box know is not the best model. It was definitely done in a hurry or at least that's the impression I got I had a lot of mold lines and gaps from the way the model was cut up for casting. And that's not even mentioning the pose I did have a thought that these things would be great if you were trying to model an armoury full of empty dreads for that they'd be perfect you wouldn't have to change a thing.... That's not what I'm doing though, so with clippers in one hand and a utility knife in the other I attacked the contemptor. Now the intelligent thing to do would be to check out any one of the numerous tutorials on reposing the Calth dread. When I get excited I don't do smart things though. And ended up spending the better part of 2 hours cutting and gluing then cutting some more. Then knocking the dread off my desk to have it break back down into it's component parts twice. Oooh yes there was some choice language being used in my garage lol. But I got the old boy standing running in fact. And I'm pretty happy with him still needs a lil gs work but so do the other 2/3 of this vow.

20160719_043749.jpgscreengrab

20160719_043742.jpgimage host

20160719_043626.jpgfree screen capture software

20160719_043712.jpgimgupload

So it's very WIP but that is what category we're in ;) I'm still undecided on Rhy'tans helmet I think it might get redone and obviously he'll get his combi flamer. The praetor I'm pretty excited about I've got some ideas for that grav gauntlet and he may end up getting volkite instead of the combi melta , the only problem with that is I don't have any actual volkite so I'll have to convert one if I go that route. I could really use some ideas for my bases they've got me stumped I feel like they're too plain. I love hearing what you guys and gals think be it good bad or anything. But even if you don't comment thanks for checking out my work.

Turns out I'm super low on combi flamers and being salamanders player that's gonna be an issue... I did find one though

20160719_224817.jpgfree upload

It's not the pattern I wanted to use but I suppose such a high ranking Astartes would have access to the latest and greatest toys so it'll work. Then I got started on my IH praetor with his fancy guantlet which so far is just a chainfist with blade removed, and the barrel from a grav cannon glued in its place. Now I've just gotta do some more green stuff work tonight I'm gonna try to figure out a way to make the little nubs that I would assume are capacitors on all the heresy grav weapons.if anybody has any ideas on this I could really really use some direction otherwise I'll probably just go for the gs option and hope for the best.

20160719_224616.jpgforum image hosting

As you can see still some cleaning to be done along with some more sculpting and I'm considering giving this guy a servo arm and making him an iron farther.(When typing this on my phone it auto corrected to iron farmer which caused the mental image of an iron father with a power pitch fork and mechanicus issue straw hat and I died laughing for about 3 min) But I'm not sure if I should or no maybe I'll do a mock up tonight with blue tack. And for the contemptor.

20160719_224755.jpgscreen capture windows 7

which is my current favorite model on the painting bench. Even despite the horrible time I had reposing it I'm pretty happy with how he stands I just need to give him the details befitting a hero of the XVIII AND finish his base. Speaking of bases that's an area I feel I need a lot of work on and could really use some ideas. Anyone have any? Thanks for checking out my work I'll keep the updates coming.

Got quite a lot done last night at least by my standards. I sculpted treads on to the bottom of the contemptors foot and gave the old boy a bit of drake hide, you can't have salamanders without scales and flames rite? He's still missing something he needs some kind of decoration on his torso or his arms, maybe more drake hide? While I was waiting for gs to cure I remember that I bought parchment paper on the way home from work. So I set about making my first wet palette which is something I've meant to do for a long time but for some reason can't ever remember the parchment paper. So I'm pretty excited about that since most of the videos I watch everyone always uses a wet palette. So I had to test it out of course and I have to say now I totally get the hype it does completely change the way you paint especially with the citadel line which is primarily what I use. So with all that ramblings out of the way on to the pics.20160722_001429.jpgfree upload imageRhy'tan got to be my guinea pig which came out a little messy but this early in the process everything's gonna get covered by several layers still. And I've been trying to work out my process to make my painting better and more efficient. So figuring out when and where to take my time and where it doesn't matter has been kind of a trick for me but I think I'm getting there.20160722_001406.jpgupload picsIf anyone has any ideas for how I should paint the scales I sculpted on this guys cape as well as the cape itself I would really appreciate it I'm kinda stumped. 20160722_001411.jpgscreenshot windows20160722_001418.jpgphoto hostingHopefully the contemptor will see paint this weekend. My goal is to knock this vow out fast enough to maybe squeeze in another vow. Something small obviously like a dread or a single character or maybe if he's here in time my primarch.20160720_233847.jpggifs uploadThis guy here is rapidly turning into one of my favorites he's going to get a head swap and a servo arm but he's very close to being ready for paint.

20160720_233137.jpgphoto hosting sites[url="

Edited by Pyroclast91

Red scales are always a nice contrast colour, done that myself on my 40k vintage sallies. I also like the light green drake hide that FW use on their pyroclast models, I use that as a design cue on the 55th. Thought sallies chaplains wore black armour? In the 30k era? Edited by our_baz

Those were kinda the two options I was leaning towards was green or red and I wasn't sure if the black armor was during our after the heresy. For some reason I wanna say it was a post heresy thing but I'm honestly not sure. Now I'm gonna have to look into it though

Damn... Well in light of this some changes are gonna have to be made I really don't wanna go full on 40k chaplain black what if I washed the bejesus out of it with gloss nuln until it's almost black but not quite?

So this wasn't a super productive weekend as my mom was visiting so I didn't spend much time in the garage.

20160724_011733.jpghow to screen capture

Aetheon got himself a new head

20160725_001541.jpgimage hosting sites

I also removed the servo skull from his back and attached a servo arm then my first Iron Hand got his primer.

20160725_001614.jpghosting image

The first contemptor got a couple layers of my special green which I'm getting dangerously low on.

20160725_001633.jpg20mb image hosting

Thanks to Our_Baz bringing to my attention that 30k chaplains were in fact outfitted with black power armor Rhy'tan got himself an alcohol bath and a full repaint.

20160725_001522.jpgimgurl

20160725_001506.jpgwindows 7 screen shot

Thank you again for that baz I really appreciate your input.

I do have one issue I'm not sure how I'm going to paint my iron Hands I'm having rough time figuring out a winning recipe.I started building a moritat and used him as a test model and....

20160724_011240.jpgpicture uploader

It's close to what I want but it's too green and I've got do much wash built up it's obscuring details so it's gonna take some fine tuning. If you've got a good recipe using the gw line I'd love to hear it or any other C&C thanks for checking out my models.

YAAAAAAY!!!!!!! REINFORCEMENTS.... So a while back I mentioned I had some resin goodies coming. Today was the day and I'll be damned if they're not some of the best recasts I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of people who got worse models from FW. So since the quality is totally on par and my order cost 1/3 of what it would have from our friends at FW on to the good bit.

20160725_190002.jpgupload a picture

That's rite the BIG MAN HIMSELF

20160725_193026.jpgpost images

And the Dreadnought garage grows :)

20160725_202331.jpgupload pics

NOT ONE BUT TWO LEVIATHANS did I mention I really really like dreadnoughts?

20160725_221726.jpgjpg images

I even managed to get some work done on my ETL vow mainly since I swore to myself I wouldn't start ANY NEW MODELS until they're done (with the exception of cleaning and dry fitting to make pew pew sounds) C&C as always is greatly appreciated

Really nice work on the flames, and the eye lenses, they look great.

Impressed with how much youve changed the BaC Contemptor, too! Looks infinitely better and has given me some great ideas for when i attempt to tackle my own.

Thank you very much for your kind words MagicMan the bac dread was definitely a challenge. I would definitely recommend making sure it's very well glued together before you start the cutting I didn't and ended up kicking myself a lot.