Squat Paint Schemes

I'm going to (eventually) be doing a Cults and Militia Squat army, but besides LOTS OF STEEL/ BRONZE/ GOLD because Dwarves, what sort of colour schemes do squats use traditionally?

I wasn't around for them back in the day (I am a 3rd edition baby) but I can't source too many (painted) images of them.

I've seen a bit of epic but it's a weird mish mash of black/ blue/ red/ green?

Any help appreciated :D

Initially, squats tended to be painted in fairly realistic drab grey, olive green and khaki schemes similar to those used for the Imperial Army (i.e. Imperial Guard these days). This image, taken from a White Dwarf of the period (or the 40k Compilation/Compendium) shows an example.

(apologies for the link, but it's someone's Photobucket, and I'd feel bad to burn through his or her views).

However, squats were noted as using bright schemes that favoured primary colours, such as the ones on this White Dwarf cover from the Mholnir Brotherhood from the Mjolna League.

Salient points in the text accompanying this in the Compendium includes:

[...]the lightning strokes from the banner are repeated in the unit badges[...] it is a common practice among Brotherhood troops for each squad to take an element of the Brotherhood banner as their unit symbol.

Helmets are issued as standard[...]some prefer to wear soft caps or no headgear at all[...] there are no strictly-enforced uniform rules and personal decoration of equipment is common. Personal motifs can be seen on most of hte helmets in the picture and the squad leader [...] has had his head tattooed – a common practice among veteran Squats.

The red flak jackets and dark green coveralls with yellow piping are the standard uniform of the Mjolinir Brotherhood – note the cuff detail on those figures who are not wearing gauntlets – but again, personal details such as gauntlets and knee and elbow pads very from Squat to Squat.

These bright red, yellow and green schemes dominated squat armies up until they disappeared; but bear in mind this was at the height of the infamous 'red period'.

However, even at the time, the Compedium noted that:

Hearthguard]

The hearthguard are very inidivdual [...] and do not wear any kind of uniform. The Hearthguard vie with each other in the distinctiveness and splendour of their appearance. Archaic and mediaeval styles are very popular, with lavish decoration in traditional patterns. It has often been remarked that a Warlord and his Hearthguard on their motorbikes bear more than a passing resemblance to the armoured knights on horseback who may be found in many mediaeval cultures.

Brotherhood

The bulk of a Brotherhood's troops [...] lack the individuality of the Hearthguard, wearing the colours and insignia of the Brotherhood as a uniform. Squats prefer muted colours reminiscent of the rocks and sands of heir Home Worlds: browns, greys and green are popular in varying shades and mixtures, as are black, white and deep red – it is common for seams and piping to be picked out in a contrasting colour.

Those Brotherhoods who are sent out reaving tend to be more individual [...] Squats who have made a career out of piracy are as flamboyant, in their own way as the most ostentatious Heasrthguard. Often they will adopt distinctive uniforms and colours.

So, strong contrasts – bright red and blue, yellow and green – work well. Personally, I prefer the more military style, so that's the one I used for my squats:

IMG_1107.JPG
(Apologies if this breaks any B&C rules; I'm assuming squats would still be safe because they fall under the Armies of the Imperium purview?)

*Actuall,y 'Astra Militariusartidedooda' or whatever they're called these days.

That white dwarf colour is MAGNIFICENT. Love all the mental old art, a great find... Thanks!

I think Green could certainly be a factor, especially as they are going to be joining my Death Guard until I have enough for a full force.

Green, Broze, Red, Gold & Black could be pretty cool!

You might get some ideas from the Epic vehicle color schemes as well if search. There should still be a few references out on the Internet. I remember a lot of vibrant blues, reds and greens.

Send me a pm if you don't find anything and I'll see what I can dig up in my old White Dwarfs.

My Grenadiers are going to be based on the Iron drake models, so they'll be a bronze or something. But green underalls for sure.

Basic dude squads however I'm really considering a nice mix of primary colours per squad. Mix up how they are implemented across each squad too. One has red under, green over, yellow detail. One yellow under, green over and red detail etc.

Will probably do everything heavily nuln washed and muted though to bring it together. Plus if like to keep some of the classic dwarf stone and steel colours.

Just wish the militia had a cavalry / bike unit!

I went with the good old reds, greens and yellows for my Ratling Squat sniper in my IG army:

Hidden Content

Sergeant Sergei Dragunov of the 1st Stoutfort Rangers: a volunteer regiment of homo sapiens rotundus sharpshooters attached to the Guard regiments of Kierdale's Shrineworld. med_gallery_63428_8145_107846.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_4831.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_105504.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_211008.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_315063.jpg

Archived