The Maintenance Bay >The God Machines and Knights Thread<

Great idea and already some inspiring work here!

And the gods do smile upon me, as i am currently shaping my own household in support of my forge project - the Ash'khari Domu

Since this is Knight related threat, could I pinch a small question here while I am rounding out my fluff...or should I keep that to my own WIP thread, so not to derail this one early?

Bud this thread is for anything knight related were here to offer help in any way shape or form, it's not just for showcasing that's just to be a member anyone can ask questions comment etc so feel free

Task Force  44-415 of House Dagarius

More infomation has been gleemed about House Dagarius who has been fighting brutally against Traitor Forces.  House Delgarius has never given anyone a hint of where their home planet is.  They have contacts within the mechanicum who relay orders back home via numerous loyal forge worlds, allowing them to keep fighting

House Dagarius is led by Seneschal Kavan who pilots their only Cerastus Knight Atrapos Invincible Honour

20160608 1

20160608 2

20160608 3

20160608 4

Not much is known about him other than he has a pure hatred for any traitor.  He is also known for putting as much force in front of the traitors as possible.  Stubborn for sure, he doesn't back down from a fight until logic dictated by the Omnissiah tells him to.

Bud this thread is for anything knight related were here to offer help in any way shape or form, it's not just for showcasing that's just to be a member anyone can ask questions comment etc so feel free

Okay i'll shoot!

If I were to get a Styrix, how do people find it's weapon? What rank would you give it?

Even though it has Deflag and will mulch anything short of terminators, having only a 5 shot gun and a grav gun at any sort of range doesn't feel like the most firepower. They can't take the carapace weapons that the 40k Knights can take either can they?

The Flare shield and Simulacra is nice for surviving but it seems like the damage output could potentially be pretty low?

ALSO assuming I were to take it as an Oathsword detachment, what Knight (and rank) would you pair it with?

FINALLY - I am a little muddy on the full rules, but the Mechanicum are the only faction that can simply take a single Knight as a LoW in 30k right?

Much appreciated!

My question is related to becoming a Knight pilot.

Most of the Knight houses so far seem to be pretty much feudal or clanlike in blood relation (which is very "knightly" and encourages the "household" theme). But there is no major genetic requirement here - am I seeing this right? No "Knight gene" like the Navigator houses? There are certain biological and psychoöogical requirements (like selection of Astartes candidates) but the process in itself would on a matching candidate?

My current fluff idea is for a more monasteric set up in a mechanicum cult aligned force with the Knights piloted by sort of like shao lin warrior-monks. So potential candidates could be offered up the temples or aspire to join them.

Any major concerns with this Set up fluffwise from you, my sisters and brothers of the Machine?

Okay i'll shoot!

If I were to get a Styrix, how do people find it's weapon? What rank would you give it?

Even though it has Deflag and will mulch anything short of terminators, having only a 5 shot gun and a grav gun at any sort of range doesn't feel like the most firepower. They can't take the carapace weapons that the 40k Knights can take either can they?

The Flare shield and Simulacra is nice for surviving but it seems like the damage output could potentially be pretty low?

ALSO assuming I were to take it as an Oathsword detachment, what Knight (and rank) would you pair it with?

FINALLY - I am a little muddy on the full rules, but the Mechanicum are the only faction that can simply take a single Knight as a LoW in 30k right?

I run mine as a arbalest usually but senchal works well due to the bs5 and improved shield

@Charlo- honestly if im running one I'd give it Preceptor as its rank; arbalester Is another decent choice granting skyfire and tank hunter but their are better options for that, now I say Preceptor as this guy's more of an Infantry killer and granting yourself Interceptor and over watch with that nasty Volkite and grav can be a beast of a combination if used in conjunction with another knight.

I see the Styrix as a support knight and one that should be used in conjunction with another knight such as the Maegera or Castigator or even to a lesser extent the Warden.

Now iirc correctly we do have access to the new upgrades like the stormspear & ironspear just got to wait till the new red book drops.

@XinCeithen- I like it but if you have a look at house hermatika they have a similar situation with the monks and mech feature, you can loosely base it around that sort of idea but as far as I'm aware compatibility during the period wasn't as rigid and strict as the horror that is 40k

I just flipped through the Taghmata red book, and, yes, mechanicum aligned knights do not have access to carapace weapons (as part of the Taghmata list). The upcoming Household book might change that.

Thanks for the head's up - the whole Knight stuff is still pretty new and I did not pick up the updated/ new Kinght codex and am relying on the FW books. Just want to make sure there were not some things changed during the update or that I had overlooked before shelling out some stuff. Sure it's my fluff but I am enough of a fluff monkey that I do not want to run anything that is obviously contrary/ opposed to the basic outline. "variation of the theme" Is what I am looking for here. Hope to get the bigger fluff thing and some more recent WiP up on my blog by the weekend.

Well in the solar auxilia/Imperial militia/ knight book about to drop at the open day they will have access to the carapace Weapons, it was in the last fw faq the only thing I don't know is if there only attached to certain chassis

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06-10_06.53.40_zpsqivsdx2p.jpg

So what can we tell you about mr PeterH? Well he is mostly found lurking in the N&R, Forge and Age of Darkness sections of the B&C. So we decided to ask him a few questions to get to know this bloke a little more intimately and see how the creator behind the Bleak Triumph of Reason came to be.

1• So why did you choose your Legio/Household?

House Orhlacc: Dark, brooding and quite sinister background, while utterly loyal - what’s not to like!? They took their fate into their own hands, took a difficult decision to abandon their homeworld and came out fighting. It’s also a testament to the awesome writing in Conquest – in my opinion the best of the FW HH series so far.

On the hobby side, it was one of those moments where you see something and think ‘Yes, I know just how I’d do that…’. It was also a chance to tackle purple, which I’d never done before, and to experiment with metallic effects.

With all that, it was kind of inevitable…

2• So what is your favourite chassis/titan?

The cerastus lancer! Lance and shield is such a typical ‘knightly’ image.

3• How did you come to find yourself a part of the b&c and hobby in general?

I stumbled across the B&C while looking for some painting advice for a long-forgotten project. It was the general aura of friendliness that encouraged me to create an account. I’ve mostly lurked since, although I tend to keep an eye on what’s going on pretty much every day now.

I found myself getting into the hobby in 1993 or ‘94. I saw a White Dwarf at school and never looked back. Took a break for a few years when I was at Uni, but came back to it almost a decade ago.

4• What's the hardest thing you've found in this hobby?

Finding the time to do anything! I have a young family, job etc, and my hobby time is squeezed to almost nothing. I’ve been assembling miniatures in my car, sat in the work carpark at lunchtime, just so I can feel like I’m making some progress.

On the bright side, I can’t wait until my kids are older and I can introduce them to the hobby.

5• Do you have a particular routine or must have/do whilst working on your projects?

No routines as such, but I do have this mug. It’s a terrible 1970s beige thing, acquired from the back of my parent’s cupboard when I first started painting miniatures more than 20 years ago and needed something to wash brushes in. It’s been with me ever since, now grime- and paint-covered and sprouting green stuff spikes. I just wouldn’t feel right painting without it.

6• Favourite music to listen too whilst building/painting/playing?

Depends when I’m building and painting (haven’t played in years – due to time constraints). After the kids are in bed I savour the silence. If I take a day off work to paint I’ll try to make sure there’s some cricket on the radio, or something fairly mellow - BBC 6Music usually does the job!

7• One item you would recommend to other frater (ie; paints/brushes/tools/etc)?

Vallejo glaze medium – makes working with washes, as I did to create the purple on The Bleak Triumph of Reason, so much easier.

8• Your favourite faction out of everything GW&FW have released so far?

Erm, a single favourite? Too hard Can I give you a list?

Knights, obviously – some of my favourite GW and FW models, interesting fluff and inspiring imagery.

HH – Imperial Fists, Salamanders and Sons of Horus, oh and Mechanicum, and I love the Solar Auxillia miniatures.

40K – Carcharodons, AdMech, and (xenos alert!) Tyranids (always loved the fluff and miniatures, but never actually done anything about it – yet).

9• Any hint of upcoming projects or ideas you may have hidden away?

Next on the list for my knights is an Atrapos, then probably a couple of GW knights - errant and warden I think - and a Porphyrion when it is released.

I tend to have two projects on the go at a time, to avoid burn-out, so I’m also working on a small Imperial Fists zone mortalis force. My self-imposed restriction is that as many models as possible must be carrying a shield.

I also have plans for some Blackshields, eventually.

10• Any general or specialized advice you have for the other frater looking at the Maintenance Bay?

Cerastus knight legs are a pain to assemble! Seemed to require three hands, and I think The Bleak Triumph of Reason came together more through luck than judgement. I’d say plenty of research into posing, as well as careful planning and dry-fitting, are essential. It would probably also help to sort your base out before building the legs…

++++++++

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag437/Phatsquirre1/a4c063d9-ef82-4282-a4a4-680cabaee9b5_zpshdttvwtv.jpg

The Lance of Dawn

Cerastus Knight-Lancer

++++++++

The ground lay barren, the windswept plains, once full of grass, turned to an ashy wasteland.

Rhoryk slammed the lance into the foe-enemy’s shoulder, blowing a massive wound into the venerable armor of the Leviathan and knocking it on its back.

An angry sky shook, wrathful at the desecration below, lashing out with all its might.

His brothers fought beside him, their weapons covering him as he shattered the enemy line, Battle-Cannons and Gatling-Weapons chewing through the infantry below, Flame-Projecters and Missile Racks bracketing the earth with a barrage of shrapnel.

He stood in the deluge, his tears mixing in with the angry rain, orphaned by the madness that had consumed his kin.

The carcass of the dreadnought was crushed underfoot by Rhoryk’s advance, its screaming occupant silenced forever by the tread of his heel, all the work that had been done on the machine rendered into scrap by his armor.

“Now,” spoke the giant behind him, “You see why you belong with us. Belong with my legionnaires, fighting against those who cast you aside- who betrayed your honor and trust.”

Swathes of Iron Warriors followed his advance, their merciless advance sweeping aside the already broken Word Bearers. But Rhoryk paid them no mind.

He nodded dumbly, accepting of his fate, but still too in shock- too angry- to fully understand what it meant.

Rhoryk’s heart and soul was set on the bastard before him, the Shadow-and-Bone hue of his armor an affront to his very existence.

“I will serve, Lord Khyze. I, and my brothers, will serve you- and will fight to the ends to avenge this unforgivable slight."

His momentum carried him into his target, shield deflecting his foe’s chain-blade, lance crashing through the Knight’s head and chest armor, skewering the foe-pilot on the end of his weapon.

The oath of loyalty spilled from his lips, and Rhoryk didn’t care. This- what he saw before him- was inexcusable. There was no coming back from this.

With a feral snarl, he pulled the foe-pilot violently from his throne, and repeatedly ran the weapon into the concrete below, only stopping when he realized there was nothing left on the end of his weapon, no corpse to vent his anger upon.

"Then I welcome you, Seneschal Ataman, of the House Makabius, to the Wayward Sons.”

++++++++

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag437/Phatsquirre1/121CF23B-8EC3-4014-AA9E-91EEBF8F7899_zpsripqzpzo.jpg

-Presented here is the Lance of Dawn, a Cerastus Knight-Lancer of the Ataman Sub-Clade, House Makabius.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag437/Phatsquirre1/189B808E-0CEE-4C19-9A31-B005C3F1AC75_zps5g7sika1.jpg

-Piloted by House Seneschal Rhoryk Ataman, the Lance of Dawn is a proud and storied Knight-Armor, whose origins trace back to the first shipments of the Cerastus class to the Knight House of Makabius.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag437/Phatsquirre1/CB644D07-2990-4027-B01F-D3462FEBB320_zps2pe7fe1f.jpg

-She is seen here during the Raid on Khadros, supporting loyalist IVth Legion elements against the Word Bearers stationed on the planet. Not pictured is the remainder of the Lance of Dawn's household, a varied mix of Knight Armors that have all pledged allegiance to the Emperor. Of note is the removal of the House's signifiers and heraldry, replaced by hazard stripes common to the IVth Legiones Astartes.

++++++++

This seems like a good time to finally show my knights. I present House Toren, attached to my Dusk Raider expedition fleet.

So for my knight household I decided I wanted to combine my two favorite things, giant battle mechs and my love of the Dark Tower series. As such my goal is 12 Knights each representing one of the guardians from that series. Still working on the fluff but for now this House is really more like a big, permanent freeblade group. My other armies are my space wolves and dusk raiders so these guys let me paint something other then gray. These guys also wear my first attempts at making transfers, mostly being the sign of Eld on the shoulders as well as some small quotes on the banners.

The Dusk Raider 109th fleet arrive in a unknown, lost human system being preyed upon by Dark Eldar. The human forces on the brink of destruction gladly accept the help of the Imperial forces and drive the invaders off. In the aftermath the survivors pledge themselves to the Imperium and each of the 12 knight houses or clans offer one of their knights to join the 109th fleet. They decide that these knights will change their colors as a sign of unity to both the Imperium and each other. The only sign of their former house/clan being the animal totem painted on the carapace.

So first up is the one that started it all, the Styrix Thunder Impulse, formerly of House Maturin.

med_gallery_51465_6984_13834.jpeg

Next is Stormbringer, formerly of Clan Shardik

med_gallery_51465_6984_367897.jpeg

Then came Aria of Finality, once being part of House Garuda

med_gallery_51465_6984_1363051.jpeg

And finally Astraroth Void, of Clan Aslan

med_gallery_51465_6984_682699.jpeg

Work has started on the fifth member, a still unamed gallant hailing from House Leviathan.

Wow congrats on those amazing knights! I'm pumped to see all 12 you've got planned, this is such a great endeavour.

Welcome aboard!

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06-12_09.24.34_zpsfhghmjf4.jpg

Edit: UPDATED TO THIS POINT

We now house 9 households here in the maintenance bay, im very impressed with the overall quality of our members and I hope you all continue to expand your houses and maybe even snap some pics next time they deploy yo a war zone!

Some basically finished bar weathering pics

House Rohan

Knight paladin Ironhelm

Honorary member of the Xth legion. Inducted after storming the breach single handedly at the battle of isen keep distracting the keeps defenders long enough for the xth to teleport in and devastate the command structure.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah274/mortiscorax29/ADMech/IMG_20160613_210806_zpsm6eotqef.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah274/mortiscorax29/ADMech/IMG_20160613_210817_zpsfb1cvlmt.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah274/mortiscorax29/ADMech/IMG_20160613_210758_zpshhuhprrq.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06-10_06.53.40_zpsqivsdx2p.jpg

When he's not bouncing from project to project usually you'll find him in some dark corner of the AoD forum. It's been said that he has too much time on his hands and feet who am I talking about of course it's Kurama the painting speed Deamon.

1• So why did you choose your Legio/Household?

Honestly I just opened Book 4 of the Horus Heresy series (Conquest) and chose at random, I had no idea on lore, allegiance or anything and since then I've tried to tie in all my projects into house Hermetika.

2• So what is your favourite chassis/titan?

It might sound cheesy but I can't really pick but if I really had to i think I'd choose the Reaver Titan. It's just so menacing in stature and the head on it always have me a menacing brooding vibe.

3• How did you come to find yourself apart of the b&c and hobby in general?

Hmmm well I was 8 years old and my uncle had the old 4th ed box set (the one with Dark eldar and black templars) I had no clue what it was but it got my curiosity going and slowly I was introduced to the scale of galactic genocide and bureaucratic hypocrisy and I was hooked. I then hid my hobby for 13ish years and no one knew of my hobby or books or any of that. Then once Angron was released I joined the b&c to get some feedback on my first real attempt at painting and ever since then I found the one place I truly feel comfortable!

4• What's the hardest thing you've found in this hobby?

Other than developing my skillsets it's been finding opponents whom share a true love of the hobby, most of the guys I know are the sort that play multiple gaming systems whereas I'm strictly games workshop, since I also moved for my dream job I literally get no games

5• Do you have a particular routine or must have/do whilst working on your projects? 

I have to put ITunes on shuffle and have a guinness it's how I relax, then I usually zone in and can paint like a legend!

6• Favourite music to listen too whilst building/painting/playing

Classical or Big Band music, if I'm gaming though it's usually Grindcore or Metal

7• One item you would recommend to other frater (ie; paints/brushes/tools/etc)

Vallejo liquid Metals, they are a godsend and look so good!

8• Your favourite faction out of everything GW&FW have released so far?

It's blasphemy but Tyranids are one of my favourite Armies and I might one day collect them, I'm just hooked on power armour too much to start

9• Any hint of upcoming projects or ideas you may have hidden away?

hmm I may be re purposing an old Lucius pattern warhound, im also looking at my next box of renegade to get my household even closer to completion.

10• Any general or specialized advice you have for the other frater looking at the Maintenance Bay?

Go hard and get your armies posted here, only by supporting the community can we hope to improve it! So go pick up a box of Renegade or order a big juicy resin kit from Forge World, if anyone opposes it tell them it's charity related and keeps the guys in HQ employed

So last weekend i finally got around to building a transport for my knights.  Atm i have 1 transport built that holds 9 knights.

20160615 200240

Went to a local Home depot and got some 2' x 8' x 1" foam board.  Cut up 2 of them to make this transport.

20160615 200245

All 9 Knights fit snugly into it.  This one holds 3 Gallants, 3 Wardens with Ironstorm, and 3 Crusaders with Icarus.

My plan is to build the 2nd to hold 4 Paladins and 4 Errants.

The 3rd one should hold 1 each of the following. Magaera, Styrix, Atrapos, Lancer, Acheron, Castigator. 3rd will be on hold for a bit, only own the Magaera, Styrix, Atrapos.

So I've been thinking about getting a knight however I've run into one problem. I have no idea what color scheme I'll use for the damn thing. This is probalby the only time I've had free rein with what I can use to paint up the knight but I've drawn a blank. I'm trying to figure out a color that works alongside blue, red, and black marine respectively. I figured I'll do bone for my secondary with gold as the metal parts. Any ideas?

Archived