DarkVen's Octavia Obscura [30.04.2017]

DarkVen

Yes I can't remember having seen them painted before either, maybe the centre dude. Really excited to hear your plans, and to see new work from you, you scuting is sublime.

*prepares notepad

Terminators look really nice, and your Warsmith is coming along really nicely. I'm eager to see him completed.

Well then AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents, how about a WIP-shot of a war(p)smith? rolleyes.gif

Tarantula_WIP_3.jpg

What do you guys think about this conversion?

He is not finished yet, I need to sculpt a demon face on his bolt-pistol and also add a shoulder pad and a flamer. Maybe a chainmail cloak. Do you guys think he need one? I would like to hear your opinions on that.

That Warpsmith is shaping up into something incredible! The servo-harness/backpack in particular is quite a work of art!

Which areas will you be working on some more? As it stands, the facemask doesn't seem quite up to scratch yet, especially when compared to your concept artwork. And I think the servo-harness could use a few elements to make it look slightly more baroque and chaotic -- a chainmail cloak might therefore be a pretty cool idea. Or maybe make it a mix of chainmal and cabling?

Anyway, fantastic work so far! :)

This conversion is shaping up to be great. There's not much to fault really, except the two lower mechadendrites could use a bit more polishing in my opinion. I'm not sure if he needs a cloak, as he's already well fitted out.

Really loving the conversion so far! He's looking even better than I imagined from your concept drawing. My favourite element is the forget and enclosed helm. Also the little Servo arm with the lamp, near is axe, is a very characterful touch. What did you use a a base for the body? & what about the backpack?

Looking forward to seeing him painted, one day you will have to give us some insight into how you rebuild the legs; they are a fantastic blend gothic industrial

KrautScientist

Thank you! Well, you'd be laughing, but the helmet is actually one few parts that turned out to be quite close to the original in terms of scale and detailing laugh.png so after a bit arguing with others, I decided to abandon the idea of a chainmail cloak, as it would be overkill.

I'll be working on his shoulder pad, will sculpt one more daemonic ornament (on his bolt pistol) and then just polish the armor. Will finally post my "before"-ETL vow this night I think.

Isengrin

Yeah, you are definitely right. I will polish the lower pair a bit. But nevertheless, despite deriving from the original concept the most (comparing to other details), they turned out to be quite close. There is also a trim that is not visible on the photo...

BrotherJim

One day surely I will smile.png I will describe everything in detail as I'll post finished conversion. As for now I can't even remember what were the base parts for the body, probably some loyalist's bits plus a standard backpack exhaust thrown in on his chest. The base for his legs was one of the legs choices from plastic 'zerker kit. And the backpack was scavenged from 4-5 kits, including DA bikes, GR terminators, 6ed starter, IG Cadian command squad and some ork bits.

EDIT: urgh, should've checked spelling before posting...

The oblitorators and havoc squad were my faves. No no, the sorcerer. He was supreme.

@ DarkVen - that just makes it so much more awesome; that you cannot remember which parts. I really love that you used a drill bit also, that's a nice touch. Looking forward to more, as usual.

Sweet blood and skulls, you've got yourself an amazing project log. I love it!

Terminator weapons are super cool. I'm also really digging your dreadnought. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of the evil refrigerator, but the way you used the same colors for the highlights and lightning bolts is extremely effective and totally kickass! Of course, my bias would suggest you need blood everywhere, but maybe your dudes are only just about to start spilling it. :P

The Warpsmith is shaping up to be something quite impressive. A lick of paint should finish him off quite nicely. ;)

I don't think he needs a cloak though. The model is plenty busy already, especially from the back, and a cloak would most likely just serve as clutter.

MagicMan

Well thank you! I actually have a few more termies up in my sleeve along with updated champion. I will get busy with them right after I painth the warsmith.

BrotherJim

The sorc was my favourite also, he was some kind of a "landmark" miniature for me, as he was assembled out of thrash, pretty much like the warsmith :) I will post the miniature today evening I think, the glue needs to dry out, but he is ready for painting.

Venomlust

I see your point and you are definitely right. On the other hand, I prefer a bit more "clean", somewhat comic/cartoonish approach. But when I'm going to build my 'zerker squad in the future, they will have lots of blood on them ;)

The Psycho

The main problem for me personally with painting are metal parts. They just don't stand up to the vibrant blue armor. I'm painting a test IW miniature curebtly to try a new recipe, I hope it'll turn out nice, I think I'm getting there. Will post the result along with the smith today evening I hope.

Yeh, I agree with you. Besides that the cloak would take another day or two which I don't have. He is already really busy with all the mechanic hands and the backpack.

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents!

Alas, here it is:

Tarantula_WIP_4.jpg

This was heluva conversion to assemble I must admit. Got a few problems with glueing mechatendrils to his body, especially the small ones with melta and flamer. But in the end the result is sooo satisfying - I did hit that 80-90% exactitude and recreate the concept as close as it was possible for me. Besides that, the miniature is both bulky as hell (what I would expect from a heavily-modified warsmith armor) and tall as a pile of... well, gs msn-wink.gif

Tarantula_WIP_Comparision.JPG

I will take a better comparision photos when I'll paint him, but even on this picture he is visibly taller than a regular marine (one head taller to be exact). Speaking of which...

IW_CSM_1_1.jpg

...sooner or later I will add a small IW force to my collection. That and the fact that my metallic-kung fu is much more underdeveloped than my blue armor-kung fu led to me painting a test miniature. It did not turn out as good as I wanted it to be, but I think I got myself a pretty good recipe and clear understanding of how should metal parts be painted.

Now, to painting! Yarrr

Beautiful Iron Warrior! The gold head gives him such a unique look while still distinctly being a member of the IV Legion. I may just have to borrow that particular idea when I get around to eventually building some Iron Warriors for myself. ;)

The finished Warpsmith build turned out really well! I wish that I had the patience and the dedication to take my time for a conversion that elaborate. Kudos to you!

Aha nice one!

I've been looking at my pile of plastic trash and thinking: "with a bit of effort, I could turn that into something awesome."

The tech marine is spot on and a welcome return to form for you.

Holy :cuss boy! Stop the press! That Iron Warrior is Godly! Oh Ma Gawd. I can't breathe, I'm hyperventilating...

Now I love your night lords, but the potential that IW represents is beyond everything. A pre-heresy Iron Warriors force converted and painted by you, that would just break the Internet - you must do it!!!!

I love that warpsmith! There is just so much terrific work put into that fella and he is going to be a real treat when painted up (and he has that sweet lamp being held out by a servo arm). How many hours did it take you to gather the bits and get him all put together?

That Iron Warrior could make an Emperor's Children jealous too. That gold helm...mhmmm.

Thanks guys, I didn't expect such a feedback on the IW marine to be honest. I actually painted the helmet golden to practice a bit on round surfaces. Didn't turn out as good though, but I've got myself an idea how to paint gold on the warpsmith.

BrotherJim

Thank you for your kind words, but I was, am and always be vanilla-rules type o' guy ;) I haven't even used FW rules ever in my gaming career I think. So if there will be something, that'll be just a few squads painted that way for games in 40k.

---BOOT SEQUEИCE---

+

---MAIИ POWEЯ---

+

---FILE cн40s35ed ИOT FOUИD---

---LAUИCHIИG dvos---

+

---AUTHOЯIZATIOИ---

---LEGION: viii_---

---ИAME: tarantula_---

---PASSWOЯD: ********_---

+

---STATUS ЯEPOЯT---

---HEALTH STATUS: stabile_---

---POWEЯ: full_---

---TIME: 283.m38_---

---THЯEAT LEVEL: low/cнaos presence detected_---

+

---IИITIALIZIИG OCTAVIA OBSCUЯA---

---STAИD BУ---

Warsmith_2.jpg

Warsmith_3.jpg

Warsmith_4.jpg

Warsmith_5.jpg

Warsmith_6.jpg

Many thanks :) that is what I always want to achieve!

On the other news guys, I currently can't decide, what should I build next in such a "mega-project" way, from concept to miniature to painted stuff: either a 10-men csm squad or a 3-men obliteartor cult. What would you prefer to see guys?

EDIT: oops

Fantastic craftsmanship Ven!!  I silently followed your previous blog, and was quick to follow this one too.  You're an inspiration!  The WarpSmith is just another finely detailed and thematic character you've produced!  Great work!

As for the next task ... I agree with DragonLover ... 30 Oblits sounds mental, and please tell me you will create your very own too!?

Haha, thank you guys, that would be the most epic project in history :lol: sadly, it was a typing mistake. I am ready to make only three oblits guys :( but on the bright side they would be definitely be as detailed as is this warsmith.

Archived