DarkVen's Octavia Obscura [30.04.2017]

DarkVen

I have to agree with Nemac: I can appreciate the fact that you think you can do better today, but just to provide a little perspective there: Those Obliterators still stand as some of the finest examples of the less-mutated school of design, if you ask me. The best part is how you've managed to differentiate parts of their armour from standard Terminator plate, and if anything, that is something you might want to explore even more on any future Obliterators. But sheesh, if you are so unhappy with them, feel free to send them my way ;)

As for the Dreadnought, I was a huge fan of him before, and the new weapon arms nicely round out the model! I was delighted to discover that you used some of the same general approaches I used on my own VenDread-based model: the BA cannon as a base for a twin-linked autocannon, for instance. I also really love how you wedged some bone trophies into the gothic arches on that one decorative panel: a truly inspired touch, especially for a NL Dreadnought!

Anyway, fantastic stuff, as usual -- we don't even need any new content if the old stuff is that good -- just sayin'... ;)

KrautScientist

Thank you, I might just consider this proposal about sending you some stuff msn-wink.gif well, IF I overcome my lazyness...

Actually, I just peeked this idea about the autocannon a long time ago, and it might be your work which inspired me!

Legio Draconis

Well, there is actually quite a few things a plan to accomplish this year, so just come around every now and then - there might be something new here!

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen!

Small update, just as I promised to go back to my miniatures. I've painted the additional options for my dreadnought, yet they are PIP. It requires quite a bunch of updates on the paintjob to make the miniature look better, but I'm confident to continue painting right after I write this update:

Dreadnought_1_WIP_7.JPG

Dreadnought_1_WIP_8.JPG

And then I also assembled another option with a power axe for my terminator champ, just for the good ol' cheap melta-drop of 3 terminators:

Atramentar_Champ_WIP_4.jpg

Not much, but you know my efficiency...

And speaking about the report I was writing about last time - I will post it a bit later (hopefully), but for now I'll leave you with a small sneak-pic:

%25D0%259C%25D0%25BE%25D0%25BC%25D0%25B5

Cheers,

DV

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen! smile.png

Finally, I've managed to translate the battle report into English (although there might be some mistakes, so please correct me if you note one). So, without further ado, let me report to you about...

THE MASSACRE OF THE CRAWLING HILL

EDITION: 4th, with implementation of LoS and vehicle damage table rules from the 5th edition.

SCENARIO SPECIAL RULES: Standard game, level "Gamma" – Infiltrate, Deep Strike, Dusk & Dawn, Victory Points.

DEPLOYMENT: Secure and control. Each player is deploying within 12" from one of the long edges of the table. Players must deploy their units in the following order: Heavy Support, Troops, Elites, HQ and Fast Attack. After the main force is deployed, each player may placed their units with the Infiltration special rule.

GAME LENGTH: 6 turns.

MISSION: 5 objectives.

Word Bearers 37th host

%25D0%2590%25D1%2580%25D0%25BC%25D0%25B8

1 Chaos Lord (HQ) @ 192 Pts

Chaplain of the army; Mark of Chaos Undivided; Bolt Pistol (x1)

#Accursed Crozius [40]

#Furious Charge [15]

Spiky Bits [10]

Frag Grenades [1]

Daemonic Rune [35]

Daemonic Mutation [15]

Daemonic Strength [10]

1 Lord of Change (HQ) @ 160 Pts

Lord of Change

#Daemonic Flight [0]

#Wind Of Chaos [0]

8 Possessed Marines (Elites) @ 353 Pts

CC Weapon (x8); Bolt Pistol (x8)

#Daemonic Strength [0]

#Daemonic Aura [0]

#Daemonic Mutation [10]

1 Aspiring Champion @ [97] Pts

Lightning Claws (pair)

#Daemonic Mutation [10]

#Daemonic Strength [0]

#Daemonic Aura [0]

Spiky Bits [10]

Master-Crafted Weapon [10]

3 Obliterator Cult (Elites) @ 210 Pts

Power Fist; Autocannon; Heavy Bolter; Lascannon; Missile Launcher; Flamer;

TL Meltagun; TL Plasma Gun

#Daemon Armour [0]

#Daemonic Aura [0]

10 Plaguebearer (Troops) @ 160 Pts

Plaguebearer

#Nurgle's Rot [0]

#Daemon Venom [0]

5 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 196 Pts

Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolt Pistol (x3); Meltagun (x2)

1 Aspiring Champion @ [48] Pts

Mark of Chaos Undivided

Daemon Chains [20]

1 Chaos Rhino @ [53] Pts

Combi-Bolter

Smoke Launcher [3]

5 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 115 Pts

Mark of Chaos Undivided; CC Weapon (x5); Bolt Pistol (x3); Lascannon (x1);

Plasma Gun (x1)

#Tank Hunters [3]

1 Chaos Land Raider (Heavy Support) @ 263 Pts

TL Heavy Bolter; TL Lascannons

Extra Armour [5]

Dozer Blade [5]

Smoke Launcher [3]

1 Chaos Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 160 Pts

Front Armour: 12/13; Side Armour: 12/13; Rear Armour: 10/11; Dreadnought

CCW; w/Heavy Flamer; Additional CCW

Mutated Hull [30]

Parasitic Possession [20]

Extra Armour [5]

Smoke Launcher [3]

1 Chaos Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 190 Pts

Front Armour: 12/13; Side Armour: 12/13; Rear Armour: 10/11; Missile

Launcher; TL Lascannons

Mutated Hull [30]

Parasitic Possession [20]

Extra Armour [5]

Models in Army: 39

Total Army Cost: 1999

Night Lords 8th company

%25D0%2590%25D1%2580%25D0%25BC%25D0%25B8

HQ

Chaos Sorcerer [128]

Bolt-pisol 1

Power Weapon 15

Frag Grenades 1

Melta Bombs 5

Mark of Chaos Undivided 5

Daemonic Aura 10

Furious Charge 15

Chaos Lord [195]

Terminator Armor 25

Lightning Claw 25

Chainfist 30

Mark of Chaos Undivided 5

Daemonic Strength 10

Daemonic Mutation 15

Daemonic Essense 15

Daemonic Resilience 10

Chaos Chosen Terminators x4 [229]

4 Terminator Armors 19x4

2 Lightning Claws 5x2

Chainfist 8

3 Combi-meltas 10x3

Reaper Autocannon 20

Mark of Chaos Undivided 1x4

Furious Charge 3x4

Chaos Land Raider [265]

Extra Armor 5

Smoke Launcher 3

Searchlight 1

Dozer Blade 5

ELITES

Obliterators x3 [210]

Daemonic Armor

Daemonic Aura

TROOPS

Chaos Space Marines x5 [100]

2 Plasmaguns 10x2

Mark of Chaos Undivided 1x5

Stealth 1x5

Chaos Space Marines x9 [219]

2 Meltaguns 10x2

Frag Grenades 1x9

Mark of Chaos Undivided 1x9

Furious Charge 3x9

Aspiring Champion 13

Power Fist 15

Chaos Rhino [93]

Extra Armor 5

Smoke Launcher 3

Dozer Blade 5

Mutated Hull 30

FAST ATTACK

Chaos Raptors x5 [195]

3 Meltaguns 10x3

Infiltrate 3x5

Chaos Raptors x5 [195]

3 Meltaguns 10x3

Infiltrate 3x5

HEAVY SUPPORT

Chaos Havocs x5 [170]

4 Autocannons 20x4

Tank Hunters 3x5

Models in army: 40.

Total points: 1999.

DEPLOYMENT

%25D0%25A0%25D0%25B0%25D1%2581%25D1%2581

%25D0%25A0%25D0%25B0%25D1%2581%25D1%2581

TURN ONE

%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B4_1.jpg

Right from the beginning the game had it's aggressive tone. The Word Bearers have stolen initiative from the Night Lords and went straight to their da cunnin' movement and right after that – sent a barrage of fire into everything they could reach (which was almost everything the Night Lords had on the table). Simply and unpretentiously the simple las-plas cam squad set the tone and unpretentiously blown away my Land Raider, loaded with the terminator death star.

Well, that escalated quickly… but we came here to kick some ass, aren't we? The Night Lords have passed pinning test and rallied behind the Rhino, which used its smoke launchers for better protection, while auto-havocs and one unit of raptors terrorized the Word Bearers Land Raider in return. Auto-havocs with the tank hunting veteran skill managed to immobilize it and raptors have added a nice "crew stunned" result, so the potential threat from the vehicle was reduced to one lascannon firing BS 2 next turn. On the other flank the second unit of raptors and my obliterators have pretty easily evaporated the lonely dreadnought – all in all, this turn we were even. The beginning was promising…

TURN TWO

%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B4_2.jpg

On the second turn the shooting phase wasn't that significant, but the time came for some brutal hand to hand combat. In their turn the Word Bearers have killed one terminator (equipped with the reaper autocannon), two raptors and get "crew stunned" on the Rhino – but on such distance it makes not much of a differences for the Night Lords. In the close combat phase the possessed marines charge raptors, logically massacre them and then roll back a bit, under protection of the rest of the force.

The Night Lords, in their turn, again tone down the Land Raider with autocannon barrage and then wreak HtH-dread with combi-meltas from the terminators, while the termi-lord and csm squad led by the sorcerer set off to punch some mutated faces. And right here I make two fatal mistakes: first – the termi-lord has switched off the furious charge veteran skill on the csm and the sorcerer by joining them, and second – I've rushed into the centre of the opponent's army (albeit with pretty decent HtH-unit), where almost every Word Bearers unit could attack in return. And because of the rules for the hand to hand combat of the 4th edition the damage dealt turned out to be miserable… well, I need to write better army lists and read the rules more carefully.

TURN THREE

%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B4_3.jpg

The 37th Host accord a hearty welcome and deal fatal damage to the Night Lords in just one turn. All the daemons – Lord of Change and the plague bearers – are summoned. The Lord of Change flies towards the terminators and burns them to ashes and then charges the Rhino and immobilizes it. The Dark Apostle and the obliterators charge into the fierce battle and make it hot for the Night Lords, killing the termi-lord and a good chunk of the squad, so they chicken out and flee into the sunset without any ability to regroup.

The Night Lords on the other flank try to help, but there's not much they can do on such a distance.

TURN FOUR

%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B4_4.jpg

The Word Bearers prevail with style this turn, wiping out the Night Lords from the right flank. The possessed marines, now led by the Dark Apostle, finish off the remnants of the csm squad, while the Lord of Change chops the auto-havocs to bits. In their turn the second raptor pack decides to charge to coming plague bearers to have a chance to control at least one objective at the end of the game, while the remaining plasma-csm and the obliterators avenge the auto-havocs by drilling the greater daemon back into the Warp. But with the coming possessed marines, the obliterators on the horizon and the melta-csm in Rhino the victory is now a mere illusion.

TURN FIVE

%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B4_5.jpg

The Word Bearers now dominate the table, holding 3 objective markers out of 5. The possessed marines logically massare plasma-csm and head on to the obliterators. The Night Lords in their turn get a SUDDEN "gift": by force of habit the obliterators wanted to plasma-drill the Apostle and his possessed and then charge the remaining enemies – but here it turned out that, according to the old wording of the Slow and Purposeful rule from the csm-codex of 3.5, they can shoot after movement, but CANNOT charge if it is not allowed by the weapon rules they've used in the shooting phase.

Well, in the end the obliterators used plasmas and killed a few possessed, preferring it over meltas and flamers and doubtful chances in the hand to hand combat. On the other side of the table the raptor cult continues their struggle with one plague bearer – so, at least they are safe for the next turn.

TURN SIX

%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B4_6.jpg%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B4_6_2.jpg

In their sixth turn the Word Bearers control the fourth objective marker. The Apostle and the possessed champion charge one obliterator remaining but badly wounded after the shooting phase – he still manages to punch the Dark Apostle in the guts before a blow from the Accursed Crozius finishes him off. The game for the Night Lords is lost – I understand that clearly and, despite the advices off my friend to help the obliterator in my turn, guide the freed raptors towards one objective marker, just not too lose completely.

GAME RESULT:

Word Bearers 37th Host: holding 4 objective markers out of 5.

Night Lords 8th company: holding 1 objective marker out of 5.

Victor:

Word Bearers 37th Host.

Hopefulle I won't get banned because of posting the battle report here sweat.gif

Anyways, thank you for coming, I'll return with some new stuff soon!

Cheers,

DV

You may have lost the fight, but you certainly knocked that battle report out of the park. msn-wink.gif

Your army looks even better on the table, and the whole presentation reminds me a lot of those old White Dwarf reports. Just two nicely painted armies nuking it out. Also, reading about veteran abilities, demonic strength, and all the great options from back then really make me consider going back to 4th Edition.

Thank you Isengrin! :) 

I'm glad I could give that "old school" vibe we had during the game! Actually it was really much fun, even though I failed the mission, me and my friend have had our share of great moments. You might just try it out - the rules may be old, but they aren't outdated in terms of fun and after really long time this kind of "revision" provides for something fresh and nostalgic.

I´m missing the "love"- button in this thread! Maybe that´s enough praise, otherwise I wouldn´t konw where to stop... pinch.gif

(The knights heads on the back of the obliterators are a very cool idea just to name a single thing.)

~

I realize I got the same "skeleton shield"-bit, you used on the Night Lord Dread laying around. Hopefully I can use it as good as you when the day comes...

Many thanks Jim :) it was really fun not only to play, but also to add a few touches here and there, just to bring life to my force (and my friend's) a bit more.

Although I'm starting to feel the lack for tactical flexibility with the current painted force I've got, so there is just another motivation point for me.

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen! :)

I've finally finished the paintjob on my very first dreadnought!

Dreadnought_1_1.JPG

Dreadnought_1_2.jpg

I think it is a nice way to start the new painting year. As I never felt the old paintjob was up to what I could possibly achieve and was lacking a few things, I took my time to get it better. After I've painted my raptors and pretty much figured out what I want my metallics to look like, I went to the basics, painting them almost anew. Also I gave it a facelift regarding the bones and some minor detailing like the corpse on his top and the wires on his weapons. And there's of course a banner chaos symbol, which I'm pretty stysfied with. So, here is an example of how it looked "before" and "after" the facelift was done:

Dreadnought_1_Comparision_1.JPG

Dreadnought_1_Comparision_2.jpg

I took another step further and completed all the possible options I had for this mostrocity - quite of few of them, actually. Of course, a multi-melta, a twin-linked heavy bolter, a thunder hammer and a power flail are still missing, but I'm pretty happy with what he got so far:

Dreadnought_1_Options.jpg

Dreadnought_1_3.JPG

Dreadnought_1_4.JPG

Dreadnought_1_5.JPG

In the end, I think that the improvement was worth the time and I took another step further with my painting skills. But it's up to you to judge guys, so let me know what you think!

Next thing on my painting list are the Atramentar, so look for them in the future!

Cheers,

DV

I cannot tell you how much I like that finished Dreadnought! As I've said before, it seems like the perfect missing link between the 2nd edition metal Chaos Dread and the more modern design. And it's astounding how you've managed to squeeze an extra bit of pop and contrast out in between the - already excellent - previous paintjob and the updated version!

I just have one small suggestion: That huge, empty armour panel on the right side of the torso looks like it would be the perfect place for a legion badge, a company number or something like that.

Anyway, spectacular work, mate! :)

Thank you Vairo :) I'm glad you like the paintjob. Although I personally think that the claws are one of the weakest parts - they stand to the rest perhaps, but I would've done them different way if I was to repaint them.

I thought that I had commented on here before but it seems that I hadn't so, first up, your NL colour scheme is awesome, one of the bests I've seen! This last dreadnought totally shows it up, the armour plating on it is perfect. Also this "face lift" as you called it has improved the model subtly but with great result, the most noticeable things are the deepest red (though it could benefit from some extra highlights) and the metallics, but the touched up bones are also much better. Fantistic work overall, can't wait to see more!

WOW! eek.gif

Can you refer me to the part of the plog where you describe how you made the dreadnought's proportions look so good? He looks taller than a standard dread. If you wouldn't mind describing it again, I'd love to know!

The Traitor

I always welcome any "new" people here! Thank you for your kind words. I admit there are a few things about the paintjob I could have done better (like the red you've mentioned), so I'll try to improve it when I paint the terminators.

Venomlust

Sadly, I've assembled him waaay back in the day (probably a few years back actually), and there was no "tutorial" of any kind on his legs. I have another dread though, which I also plan to convert such legs for (although with slight modifications and adjustments), so I might focus on documenting the building process for the next one in the near future. For now I have to say that I cut the original mechanical parts and replaced them with plasticard tubes, adding some wires - nothing too special about it really. Hope that helps ;)

The Traitor

I always welcome any "new" people here! Thank you for your kind words. I admit there are a few things about the paintjob I could have done better (like the red you've mentioned), so I'll try to improve it when I paint the terminators.

Venomlust

Sadly, I've assembled him waaay back in the day (probably a few years back actually), and there was no "tutorial" of any kind on his legs. I have another dread though, which I also plan to convert such legs for (although with slight modifications and adjustments), so I might focus on documenting the building process for the next one in the near future. For now I have to say that I cut the original mechanical parts and replaced them with plasticard tubes, adding some wires - nothing too special about it really. Hope that helps msn-wink.gif

For sure man, I get ya. Thanks for the reply!

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents! smile.png

Maybe a bit rushed, but I wanted to strike the iron while its hot, so I wrote a little fluff piece for my dreadnought:

"There are those who kill and those who murder. And a very thin line in between. The first ones deserve to be killed. The second kind must be murdered"
- Xergo "Tank" var Sybar, the Ancient
Stranded in the warped wastelands of Sasharim, gathering his force, the Warsmith found what he sought - a relic from the past. Clouded in ash, covered in dust, the sarcophagus in which once hero was burried layed intact. But the mechanisms urged for service. Many months healed and wakened the Warsmith the ancient one.
The one who came from the same claw as the Warlord himself, the one who fought alongside him even before his ascencion, loyal to the end served he for countless millenia. He, the one known as "Tank", Xergo var Sybar, the one of the very few to remember the times of the Great Treachery. One of the first Atramentar, champion examplar, he was mortally wounded in a battle with an ork Warboss. But his faith was to become the eternal warrior of the 8th... and now the Tome demanded him.
...as he noticed a silent move, the Warsmith stepped back. The raising roar of the power plant filled the room. The visors flared up. The helmet moved.
"Name yourself", - the hollow voice demanded.
"I am Sabar Nackim, brother. The Smith" - Astartes replied.
"I want to see Azanael"
"So do I"
"Why?" - the machine asked after a short beat.
"There is honour among thieves. Shall you rejoin the band?"
The hollow laughter broke out, silencing the roar of the engine. The Warsmith stood, waiting for the answer.
"I cannot rejoin...", - the machine sneered, - "...what I am the part of. Now... the power plant requires maintenance... brother".
Dreadnought_1_7.jpg
and I feel, there is something starting to lurk in the darkness...
DP_2_SP_1.jpg

Archived