m0nolith's WIP

Glorious. Just a bit of a shame that the left one's base has some oozing issues between the base and the decoration.

Fair criticism, but honestly that stuff never bothered me. 

I usually lay down a layer of cork paper to create that cement look, but one down side is that after playing a few games it tends to flake a little, even after several layers of varnish.

So to avoid that I usually coat the edges with some super glue to seal it in.

Works fantastically well when it comes to the flaking, but it can ooze a little if I use too much glue.

• 2 weeks later...

Love it! A question about the black panels, is the “bottom up” grey areas for lighting or dust/weathering? It looks really good, particularly on the front panel but the sides I have a disconnect. For sure not a criticism, it’s masterful, just trying to understand and improve my own methods.

At any rate, what’s next?

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning Sicaran Arcus. I would rather see in in Blood Angel colours though What colours did you use for the transitions on the black areas? I'm about to start painting a DC dreadnought and want to do a few tests with my airbrush to get an effect like you've managed to achieve before starting.

Thank you! Hey, what can I say, its a commission :tongue.:

The base was 50/50 Vallejo Dark Grey and Vallejo Black Primer, and Vallejo Light Grey was airbrushed on the lower areas to give it some depth. 

Magic Missile!!

Magic is Heresy!

Wait...this is Heresy.

:biggrin.:

Another perfect paint job

Thank you as always good sir!

Love it! A question about the black panels, is the “bottom up” grey areas for lighting or dust/weathering? It looks really good, particularly on the front panel but the sides I have a disconnect. For sure not a criticism, it’s masterful, just trying to understand and improve my own methods.

At any rate, what’s next?

I rarely just leave something purely black on a vehicle, instead I usually hit the edges, lower ends, or the sides with grey to give it some depth. The bottom up approach I used here was mainly to match the red gradient being bottom up as well. Its kind of hard to see with the basic Iphone camera I used here.

Honestly, I'd say just try it out yourself, and figure out if you like a bottom up or top down approach. 

Edited by m0nolith

I think his disconnect might be due to light source. It works on the front, since the angles mean the bottom is closer to the light, but the sides "should" be the top.

Now I quoted should, since you are following your gradient, but that's what jumps to mind imo; your gradient works in terms of light source everywhere else. It's just those particular panels on the side that don't work. Regardless, the tank looks sick.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

• 3 weeks later...

Soooooooooooooo goooooooooooooood. I never realised that those rectangles on the circular opening are viewing lenses, that makes a lot of sense.

How much of that work on the rhinos is freehand?  It looks brilliant!

Also, what sort of airbrush do you use? Your gradients are so smooth.

Still playing around with BA colors and modulation. I used a matt varnish at the end this time (after using the gloss) instead of the Army Painter Anti Shine, and it gave me a much toned down red. I think I may start doing my Heresy era BA with this scheme.

Captain Slam aka Slamguinius :wink:

gallery_86352_14298_1280539.jpg

gallery_86352_14298_785793.jpg

gallery_86352_14298_666866.jpg

Soooooooooooooo goooooooooooooood. I never realised that those rectangles on the circular opening are viewing lenses, that makes a lot of sense.

How much of that work on the rhinos is freehand? It looks brilliant!

Also, what sort of airbrush do you use? Your gradients are so smooth.

TY :smile.:

My standard airbrush is a Iwata Eclipse - CS, but for precision airbrushing I use the Badger Sotar 20/20. I use both for most projects now.

Wow!

Where did you get your decals from for the script and the symbols? They're amazing!

Word Bearers Legion transfers from Forgeworld.

Two Word Bearers rhinos done!

Well done! Love your work.

Thank you good sir :smile.:

Your Rhinos are well done.

Thank you very much as always :biggrin.:

Edited by m0nolith

Reminds me of the showcase minis they used to include in the codexes. Stunning.

Haha! 

Thats one of the best compliments I'v ever gotten on my minis!

Wow amazing! I must know what colour you use for that outstanding red! :tongue.:

Basic Tutorial:

Black Primer, Vallejo Black Red base, modulated (like wet blending, but done with an airbrush instead) first with Mephiston Red Air, then with Evil Sunz Scarlet. The highlight is Vallejo Beige Red, and then 50/50 Vallejo Baige Red and Vallejo Cold White. Gloss varnish (varnish is really important because it chances the nature of your red), then Agrax Earthshade GLOSS, and finally seal it up with Vallejo Matt Varnish to bring down the shine.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update.

I have two projects going on right now. I have a 10 man Intercessor commission, and for my personal Heresy BA I'm working on a Praetor, a Cataphractii Primus Medicae, two Apothecaries and a single Legionary with a Vexilla.

On the left are two Primaris with a base of Khorne Red, and then modulated with Mepthiston Red air and finally Evil Sunz Scarlet.

On the right are my Heresy BA, painted in the same way with the exception of the base color being Vallejo Black Red, exactly how I did Captain Slam.

I was so happy with how it turned out that I think i'm going to move away from the solid red color of my Tactical BA Legionaries to this new scheme.

gallery_86352_14298_647919.jpg