m0nolith's WIP

Looking forward to seeing the Legionnaires mounted on their bases. A nicely painted base makes a mini look so much better, and your Blood Angels already look incredible :thumbsup:

Thanks Kizzdougs. When I originally painted the bases I wasn't planing on weathering it further, but I felt something was missing. After adding rust on the metal parts and adding mud here and there I think it works a lot better. I still feel something is missing, but for the time being I'm pretty happy with it.

The one on the left is the first version, the one on the right is with rust and mud.

gallery_86352_12089_24297.jpg

I have a request.

Back in January during the Malevolence seminar, they showed off this BA Leviathan, but they didn't pause on the photo so almost no one got a shot of it.

Does anyone have a better resolution photo of this Levi?
I would really appreciate it :D

gallery_86352_12089_27992.jpg

Thank you all :D

I would love you forever if you posted a run down of that clean gold effect.

Sure thing, it’s pretty straight forward.

Base with Retributor gold, airbrush the raised areas with Auric Armour, and then airbrush the over the most raised parts with with a 50/50 mix of Liberator gold and Stromhost Silver. After all of that hit the recesses and deeper parts again with Retributor Gold to bring the brightness of the model down. After highlighting the golden parts with Stromhost Silver and doing all the details, eyes, gloves ect, airbrush the model with Gloss Varnish. After that dries, use GLOSS (not regular Shade) Agrax Earthshade. The surface tension of the gloss on gloss makes the ink flow to all the recesses fantastically well. After everything is done and dry, I hit it with Army Painter Anti-Shine.

Thank you all :biggrin.:

I would love you forever if you posted a run down of that clean gold effect.

Sure thing, it’s pretty straight forward.

Base with Retributor gold, airbrush the raised areas with Auric Armour, and then airbrush the over the most raised parts with with a 50/50 mix of Liberator gold and Stromhost Silver. After all of that hit the recesses and deeper parts again with Retributor Gold to bring the brightness of the model down. After highlighting the golden parts with Stromhost Silver and doing all the details, eyes, gloves ect, airbrush the model with Gloss Varnish. After that dries, use GLOSS (not regular Shade) Agrax Earthshade. The surface tension of the gloss on gloss makes the ink flow to all the recesses fantastically well. After everything is done and dry, I hit it with Army Painter Anti-Shine.

Brilliance. You're a really gifted painter with a great eye for detail. 

Praetor done.

<snip>

Loving this (other than the head, but that's a personal thing...not a fan of the mop hair style they love to force on BA)!

My favorite little detail is the black leather bits. I've always felt that the Roman-esque leather pieces on SM stuff has been more in line with the UM/IF and not to my taste. Your shade of black on them, however, is perfect: makes them look more practical and functional, like the straps hanging off a Harley Davidson' kit bag, then an ornamentation of rank. Really like how they came out.

Not gonna lie, but this is going to be the basis for my own. Imitation = flattery.

Edited by Indefragable

The Praetor is well done.

Thank you :) 

Love dat sword.

Was surprisingly a pain to get it done, but I think I have a pretty good system down for making them.

Not gonna lie, but this is going to be the basis for my own. Imitation = flattery.

Haha, It is indeed, and I thank you for that :D 

Man what a beautiful paint job! Fantastic shade of red and very nice effects on the blade!

Thank you kindly!

• 2 weeks later...

For your Red, you say you used the Sons of Sanguinius guide. For the shading of the armour did you only use Agrax Earthshade? Some of the armour details look darker than what the Agrax Earthshade produces?

I'm in the process of re-doing my blood angels from scratch after starting during 2nd edition. I've done a few test minis but can't quite get the shading to look dark enough for my taste using this method, but yours look spot on.

Hope to see some more updates soon.