m0nolith's WIP

• 4 weeks later...

Just started following this - great looking Blood Angels so far.

It has also convinced me that my Mephiston Red out of the GW spray can is much too dark.  It is much darker than any of your airbrushed Marines of the same color!  Very odd.  I'm going to need to overcoat with something a bit lighter I think because I prefer that look.

I have both and abandoned the can while painting my 40k angels, to me it feels a less vivid, more muted tone. Would work well for word bearers or the like. 

Edited by Mirbeau

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant stuff Monolith, have nicked your scheme for my own. Could you take a picture from the rear of a mark 3 and mark 4 mini, would like to see how you did the packs?

Sure thing :smile.:

Two things, im probably going to repaint the golden style backpack to the metal like the one on the far left, and im probably going to repaint all the MKIV with a black top like they have on the FW webiste pics of the BA upgrade kits. The MK IIIs and IIs im leaving the way they are.

gallery_86352_12089_844857.jpg

Just started following this - great looking Blood Angels so far.

It has also convinced me that my Mephiston Red out of the GW spray can is much too dark. It is much darker than any of your airbrushed Marines of the same color! Very odd. I'm going to need to overcoat with something a bit lighter I think because I prefer that look.

Lighting my friend, thats all it is. This is painted with Mephiston Red Air on a black vallejo primer, not to mention the fact the iphone camera automatically adjusts it.

There is very little difference between Air, Regular, and the can. I believe the Air as actually just a minuscule bit darker, but you really have to focus hard to notice the difference.

Edited by m0nolith

Looking good, m0nolith! Thinking about doing any vehicles any time soon?

3 Leviathans + Drop Pods, but honestly not any time soon. Still have to finish up the Tacticals and Terminators and thats still going to take a while.

I also have a Venator coming up which should be sooner than later.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update since I haven't done that in a while.

Work is progressing but there is still a lot to do.

Iv started repainting and modifying my marines to look more like the way they are represented according to the FW color schemes.

gallery_86352_12089_150743.png

I wont bother even attempting the black marble since I think it will look blotchy when its combined with grey highlighting, and the intricate art designs are way beyond my ability and patience to even consider. As of right now each marine takes about 12-15 hours to finish, so the whole batch will take a good amount of time to finish :tongue.:

When the models are finished minus the guns and bases, I'll put up some photos to show off the way their chest designs look before they're obscured by the guns.

Im also giving my previous support squad bolters to make them a regular tac squad.

Finally I'm modifying the MKIIIs into having Nuncio Voxes since I'm going for an Orbital Assault army. I just placed the order for them yesterday.

gallery_86352_12089_1219550.jpg

Here's the whole 40.

gallery_86352_12089_184749.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

Just a quick update since I haven't done that in a while.

Work is progressing but there is still a lot to do.

Iv started repainting and modifying my marines to look more like the way they are represented according to the FW color schemes.

gallery_86352_12089_150743.png

I wont bother even attempting the black marble since I think it will look blotchy when its combined with grey highlighting, and the intricate art designs are way beyond my ability and patience to even consider. As of right now each marine takes about 12-15 hours to finish, so the whole batch will take a good amount of time to finish :tongue.:

When the models are finished minus the guns and bases, I'll put up some photos to show off the way their chest designs look before they're obscured by the guns.

Im also giving my previous support squad bolters to make them a regular tac squad.

Finally I'm modifying the MKIIIs into having Nuncio Voxes since I'm going for an Orbital Assault army. I just placed the order for them yesterday.

gallery_86352_12089_1219550.jpg

Here's the whole 40.

gallery_86352_12089_184749.jpg

Awesome, and as a brit I don't use the word often. Must have been a pain to get through, (it's taken me 3 months to complete just the evil sunz highlight step for 10, a praetor, a dread and some termies minus bitz) but that's all the line infantry you'll ever need close to completion and they look gorgeous to boot.

Your eye lenses are well done too - are you using the sons of sanguinius scheme for them as well? I've done a couple of tests and wasn't that impressed with it - the colours don't feel right to me.

Looking great with the added gold!

Also:

Another Praetor. Simple but direct.

med_gallery_86352_12089_79829.jpeg

I see that Praetor in your signature, but not in this thread...get to it, we need more pics! :biggrin.:

Edited by Xenith

Looking great with the added gold!

Also:

Another Praetor. Simple but direct.

med_gallery_86352_12089_79829.jpeg

I see that Praetor in your signature, but not in this thread...get to it, we need more pics! :D

:D

It's not finished yet.

Still have to finish the sword and the base, but when that's done I'll definitely put it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Please, what magnets did you use for the arms and weapons? I'd like to nick the idea for my support squad.

I used 2x1mm magnets that you can easily find on ebay. 20pcs cost me around 5 bucks. 

Also see about getting a 5/64" drill bit. That size is perfect for 2mm magnets.

• 3 months later...

40 Legionaries, still need guns, bases, varnish and transfers but they're nearly there. I repainted the original Vokite squad to match more with the aesthetics of the others, they're here scattered among the rest. I also replaced the resin MkIII with the new plastic ones.

gallery_86352_12089_138692.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_56869.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_233652.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_213831.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_15845.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_160015.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_19955.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_189444.jpg

I'm also working on a cheap 65 point Delegatus that's going to be operating out of a Damocles Command Rhino. Still plenty of work to do before I hit him with the brush.

I wanted to make him look a little ruff around the edges but at the same time I didn't want to overdo the Blood Angelness since 30k is a little more subdued until you get to Praetors and the like.

I was also somewhat inspired by the character of Zephon in Master of Mankind, so I gave him plenty of bionics, except, you know, his actually work for him :tongue.:

gallery_86352_12089_36975.jpg

Edited by m0nolith