m0nolith's WIP

I really do not want to derail your painting thread but may I ask how do you manage to take such gorgeous photographs? Can you recommend a guide or do you have one somewhere you could link to?

No matter what I try, whenever I take photos of my work the image never shows (at least in my mind!) what the model really looks like - for example I always seem to lose any subtle transitions I may have been able to achieve on the model. Or the colours/hues are not represented accurately.

• 3 weeks later...

I really do not want to derail your painting thread but may I ask how do you manage to take such gorgeous photographs? Can you recommend a guide or do you have one somewhere you could link to?

No matter what I try, whenever I take photos of my work the image never shows (at least in my mind!) what the model really looks like - for example I always seem to lose any subtle transitions I may have been able to achieve on the model. Or the colours/hues are not represented accurately.

Few recommendations:

-Get or make a lightbox. You can get one on amazon for $20, so its really not that pricey. They go a long way to lighting up your miniature and most of them come with a led light on the top. Also see about having a light source come from the front as well, but make sure you're using a neutral coloured "daylight" lightbulb instead of a yellow "white light" lightbulb (yeah I know its confusing and it seems like the names should be reversed, but they're not). Keep in mind you can diffuse whatever light you're using but running a few sheets of paper over the light.

-Find a backround you like. I personally prefer black and I use paper that has an almost velvet like feel because it works well to not have the light from the lamp bounce off it.

-If you're using a cellphone, most of the time it auto corrects it for you, so I use a app called Lightroom to bring the colours back to what they are like in real life. Like all things it takes a bit of trial and error, but overall its pretty easy to learn. 

Like all things, it just takes practice and I still have a lot to learn, but for the time being I'm pretty happy how they're turning out given the lack of time I need to snap a few shots to put up.

Thanks for taking the time to write those photography tips - much appreciated.

And that contemptor is just stunning............:thumbsup:

Happy to help :)

That dreadnought rocks. Is that a jump pack on his back?

Its not exactly a jump pack. Its more of a one use jump booster.

Marvellous! 
The NMMs are stunning! Loving the base too.

I can't help the feeling that it would benefit from some battle damage, but this clean&shiny look certainly has it's merits too. If only as a great study of the NMM technique.

Great job!!

• 3 months later...

I love how excellent your minis look in the close-ups! The texture of the armour, the reflections, the chipping :wub: 
I also like the sergeant's face. Especially how you made them look more sharp and angular.

• 3 months later...

Its been a while since I've updated the thread, but I have been busy painting.

Over the last two years I've been working on some Necromunda stuff on and off, but I usually do things in batches and the project is nearing completion.

I'm also working on some hangers on for my Van Saar gang. The Rogue Doc still needs varnish which will hide some of the detail and contrast, but its a price I'm willing to pay to make them a little more durable. Still, I thought I'd snag a photo before that happens.

I'm also working on a Look-Out. He's not as useful as a Rogue Doc in a game, but I absolutely love the model. He still requires a lot of work, but I'm having fun painting him. I'm basically working on him from the ground up, and so far I've only reached the waist.

When they're all good and done, I'll take some decent photos and put them up.

gallery_86352_15773_904915.jpg

gallery_86352_15773_872224.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The girl is beautifully painted. Is she bearing a scratchbuilt flamer, or a tattoo gun?

It's forgeworld Necromunda doc model (see https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Necromunda-Rogue-Doc-and-Gang-Look-Out-2020) so its probably some sort of drug dispenser.  

• 2 weeks later...