m0nolith's WIP

The idea is to create a Mid-Late Heresy era BL force.
There is going to be a good diversity of armor marks as well as levels of artificer modification to reflect attrition rates of armor by this point in the war.

These first 10 Legionaries are a support/tactical squad. They all have magnets in the right hand so I can switch what support weapons they carry, or I could just give them plain bolters making them a regular tactical squad.
I'll post up a shot of them when their Volkites and bases are done.
gallery_86352_12089_91734.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

That's a nice red. Would you mind terribly sharing your recipe?

Thanks.

The entire process is the one found in the Sons of Sanguinius painting guide.

Its simply Mephison Red on vallejo black primer, and highlighted first with Evil Sunz Scarlet and then Fire Dragon Bright.

Aha, of course! I thought it looked familiar. Thanks for that.

Do you tweak white balance towards warmth in your photos? They look positively rouge or warm burgundy (warm pinkish red). Definitely not what I'd expect a pure red like Mephiston to look like.

Do you tweak white balance towards warmth in your photos? They look positively rouge or warm burgundy (warm pinkish red). Definitely not what I'd expect a pure red like Mephiston to look like.

Nope, the photo is unaltered. 

Your brain is playing tricks on you because of the highlighting.

Incredibly nice stuff mate. Very neatly and well executed. What else have you got coming our way?

More tacticals with BA upgrades. 

MkII armor maybe for even more diversity.

All in all, about 30 power armored troops.

Edited by m0nolith

Nope, the photo is unaltered. 

Your brain is playing tricks on you because of the highlighting.

Weird. I thought so as well, but look. They are positively pink. Picked up off the middle (solid color) of the right (our perspective) Sergeant's shoulder pad. Deviation from pure red is about 25% towards white. Either too much light or white balance is off. 

http://i.imgur.com/dBjGqN0.png

They look splendid, make no mistake, but I'd never suspect pure Meph as base, more like one of the pink / dark pink Tzeentchian colours.

Amazing models, m0nolith. 

Interesting, but no, like I said earlier, this is the Sons of Sanguinius paint scheme from GW.

Simply Mephison Red on black primer.

I have had the spray can version look pink. I think the issue was applying it too thick and now use the spray as a single layer undercoat - it still takes a second pass with a brush to get a nice even dark red.

Looking absolutely beautiful there. Really tempting me to dabble with the IX now, but I'll hold firm. Well done though, well done indeed.

As a side note, I think they look perfect in your signature :) Just kind of fit in well

Amazing models, m0nolith. 

I have had the spray can version look pink. I think the issue was applying it too thick and now use the spray as a single layer undercoat - it still takes a second pass with a brush to get a nice even dark red.

I did use the Mephiston Red from GW's new "Air" range, but I would touch it up on spots with Mephiston Red from the regular range.

The only spots where I didnt get the regular range MR blending would be on spots where I didnt airbrush enough, like in the nooks and crannies behind the backpack.

If you're noticing a difference in color than the regular MR, click on my M.D.R.C logo. It will take you a larger picture of the same guys but with Volkites.

I never noticed it before, but they have a darker hue there so it may be the simply the lighting, or whatever warp magic the iPhone does when it takes a picture.

Edited by m0nolith

This color thing has actually sparked my interest, and after a little bit of research and experimentation, here's what I found out;

Here, the headless 40k marines are painted with an airbrush using the Mephiston Red from the regular range combined with Vallejo airbrush thinner.

The 30k marines on the other hand are airbrushed with Citadel Mephiston Red Air that wasn't thinned down with anything.

It seems that the Citadel Air range of paints, or at least red, is more reflective to light and thus gives off a different hue dependent on the amount of light that is on it.

First the picture in low light:

gallery_86352_12089_472605.jpg

And now the same but with the lights turned on in the room:

gallery_86352_12089_272143.jpg

One thing you could also try would be to photograph the models against a background that isn't black or dark grey, as that colour will invariably influence the way your camera picks up the red. Case in point, compare how the red of the models looks against different backdrops here and here.

Ultimately, however, why does it even matter? Your Blood Angels are looking amazing, and even if they may be slightly pink-ish, remember that blood from arteries will also be so bright red as to almost seem pink, due to the amount of oxygen in the blood. So it's a nice fit, really ;)