The Raven Order, a DIY successor (12/30 LSStorm!)

FlamingDeth

Why not black armour with Chapter colours on the left shoulder pad and robe/tabard?

That way he both complies with most representations of Chaplains, and still ties in with your army whilst remaining distinctive.

Similar to how Deathwing Librarians have blue armour, but often have bone-coloured tabards instead to denote their DW status. :)

I started trying to paint up my Seraphicus finally, with that sort of paint scheme in mind. Obviously pretty rough, but as much as I think I'd like that scheme normally, I don't think it works on this particular model. With the way the robes overlap on the torso particularly I can't think of a way to make it not look awkward. On a normal tabard or robes it would probably be easy peasy to make it not look strange.

gallery_47416_12247_49013.jpg

I also did up a sergeant that I had converted up right after DV was released. The theory here is that he can go with half the ETL tac squad and once I have an HQ finished I'll technically have a fieldable painted army.

gallery_47416_12247_21711.jpg

The purple is surprisingly easy to paint so far. It still can use highlights, but prime - base - wash - touch up is way simpler than doing any bone so far. The head is always going to bother me, so I may attack it with a drill and hobby knife and fit a helmet in there instead, because head protection is important. The bone still bugs me, the lines from the wash still seem too dark, so I'll have to go back and try a couple other suggestions from this thread on them. Also have to get this black cloth figured out properly.

EDIT: Also, sorry for the derpy lighting, dark and cloudy day so I was trying to play around with the HDR settings to get it looking less bad.

Edited by CardinalVirtue

I started trying to paint up my Seraphicus finally, with that sort of paint scheme in mind. Obviously pretty rough, but as much as I think I'd like that scheme normally, I don't think it works on this particular model. With the way the robes overlap on the torso particularly I can't think of a way to make it not look awkward. On a normal tabard or robes it would probably be easy peasy to make it not look strange.

The robes look fine imo. Just accentuate your black armour a bit .

The purple is surprisingly easy to paint so far. It still can use highlights, but prime - base - wash - touch up is way simpler than doing any bone so far. The head is always going to bother me, so I may attack it with a drill and hobby knife and fit a helmet in there instead, because head protection is important. The bone still bugs me, the lines from the wash still seem too dark, so I'll have to go back and try a couple other suggestions from this thread on them. Also have to get this black cloth figured out properly.

Bone is a learningcurve. You get better with each mini. The difference between my last and my first attempts are quite noticable.

If you believe your shades are too stark, then thin the wash down a bit more or remove more excess. You don't want it to pool to much in the recesses, a small amount is sufficiënt.

Rakarth flesh is already a darker colour than Ushabti, the wash just gives it a more bone-ish shade.

Working on the chaplain the robes are starting to grow on me as I give them more definition. I'll have to get a decent picture of the back tomorrow since I'm quite pleased with the cape. Mostly the armor is missing highlights and there's a lot of detail work to do still.

gallery_47416_12247_10070.jpg

Also threw together a DV master more or less stock. Looking at his arms I figured he could use a mk IV helm from a BT set I got.for bits yonks ago. He'll also probably get an AoBR Captain backpack. A little hobby ADD, but it'll give me options for now until I have more time for a proper conversion. I still may add something to the helmet since it's a little plain compared to the rest of the model.

gallery_47416_12247_2432.jpg

EDIT: Here we go, got a picture of the cape. Also so as not to get all spammy, updated front picture, mostly some detail work. The brown bits are almost all supposed to be bronze but apparently my only surviving metallic paint is silver, so there's that obstacle.

gallery_47416_12247_15507.jpg

gallery_47416_12247_57603.jpg

Edited by CardinalVirtue

Calling the chaplain done for now, just have to seal him.

gallery_47416_12247_9397.jpg

Moving right along. The batch he came with was badly painted as space wolves, but this guy was just spray primed/basecoated light blue and it was thin enough that I figured I'd just paint over it, and so far its making a good case for light colored primer. Didn't come with any extra arms so for now he's stuck with TLLC and heavy flamer/CCW.

gallery_47416_12247_19431.jpg

I present to you an added bonus, Wolf Lord "Lala Lulu" of the "painted by my three year old" great company.

gallery_47416_12247_19186.jpg

He began life as presumably a wolf guard or something out of a batch of used models, but he got a promotion when my daughter declared that she wanted to paint a guy, and what better than a guy that I care nothing about. Apparently he catches bad guys by jumping really high.

EDIT: I think she needs to thin her paints, losing some sculpted detail!

EDIT EDIT: Maybe I ought to cross post that to the puppy forum...

Edited by CardinalVirtue

Hard to say with out seeing some examples, but I think it would be cool to keep the Chaplains black but give them the quartered robes.  I was going to say you should do one color but then I thought better of it.  The purple just looks so good next to the bone (a color combo I would not have guessed would look so good).

Keep up the good work.  Looking forward to your next post.

Edit: sorry this post seems a little late. I didn't see the second page when I posted.

Edited by Malcifer

It's ok, we all miss the second page sometimes...

Calling the dread done for now. I have to say that kit is impressive, the most actual fun I've had painting in quite some time. It would be interesting to try one that wasn't fully assembled, since that's nit my first choice if armor plates (seriously, I doubt that there were exactly a lot of dread chassis' that were at both Calth AND Badab), but fun and detailed regardless.

gallery_47416_12247_110138.jpg

I still need to get something on the scrollwork, but I'm still deciding on whether to go with the classic "gothic print grimdark faux-Latin" or go with Hebrew print to match typical DA naming conventions. I'd been planning on Hebrew for all the years the chapter has been in planning, but after practicing the small scale script im second guessing myself, I'm afraid it'll look too much like random squiggly lines.

Haha, yes, I suppose so! I admit I was rather happy how it turned out on this guy. I guess that's what happens when you practice and read/listen to tutorials and advice people give you. Still room for improvement, but then isn't there always (except for Gilbear's blending)?

Hobby ADHD moment, I dug these guys out of a box. Start of a reclusium command squad, apparently I stopped on them shortly before the greenstuff stage. Champion needs some bling on his shield and I was thinking, but hadn't decided yet, about putting one of those chaplain parchment loincloths on him, since he's the closest to an actual chaplain promotion. The guy missing a head is going to be getting a head made out of a chaos warrior head with added vents and piping. Flame guy is missing something, haven't decided what yet. I'm actually pretty happy with how the standard bearer looks. Obviously, though, open to suggestions on any of them.

gallery_47416_12247_181774.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Quick question: Stick with black weapon casings or switch to red? I didn't want to make the scheme TOO busy, what with being quartered already, but the weapons kind of boring right now and I'm already using red as a detail color anyways...

I think black is cool. And it's safe. But if you feel is boring, definitely change it. I don't think red is fitting though, it'd be a huge contrast from the purple and bone. Maybe a green? Just a suggestion

Edit: i just saw that you mentioned your using red as a detail color. It could tie it all in together. Why not post some test models ?

Edited by jbaeza94

Oh man, I took a bit of a hiatus for a few weeks and completely missed some of your updates.

Cardinal, your models look fantastic buddy! You've really nailed the bone, and totally own that colour scheme. Keep up the good work!

As for the weapon casing dilemma, I had the same issue with my AoA, debating between black and red. The fellows over there convinced me to try red, and it really "popped" and added so much life to the models. As long as you keep your purple warm, it'll match with the red. As you said, red is already an accent colour, so stick with it. Maybe try using a purple wash on the red to subtly tie the 2 colours together?

I think you already have quite a bit of red (it's quite an eye-drawing colour), and that red bolters would would be too distracting. If the red accents were much more modest, then I might be more tempted to go with red bolters.

An alternative is to add a red stripe to the weapon casings instead perhaps? Maybe diagonally?

TO THE TESTMOBILE!

Tried out the red bolter because everyone is right, can't make a proper judgement without seeing it. Also tried out the Major's idea of a red stripe because it intrigues me. There for, quick and dirty test models!

gallery_47416_12247_55584.jpg

Without the tactical arrows that I just realized I forgot to put on its hard to say for sure, but first though is the red bolter looks a little silly when its actually on a model, but the red stripe is growing on me. Diagonal may be a little finicky to replicate en mass, but maybe vertical? It merits further experimentation at least, worst case scenario I can always default back to black.

Edited by CardinalVirtue

So I had and interesting thought.  This might be a bad idea, but what about a bone (with your shadowing) bolter casing with a diagonal purple stripe?  I think it could look really good, and unique.

I was thinking of the diagonal stripe being top-to-bottom rather than end-to-end, but it looks quite reasonable that way too.

Black with bone in one or more stripes or bands could look good too.

I think purple on black won't have enough contrast, and that bone and purple will be "lost" on the model (like camouflage of sorts!)

What I had in mind was the sort of bands and stripes you see on the District 9 or Mass Effect weapons. They are great at adding colour and detail without looking too garish. They also echo the kill marking rings painted onto tank barrels.

I am really liking this color scheme.  I am not happy with my terminators, so I am going through all of the great tips on painting bone in this thread.  Hopefully my next terminators won't be "Test" models, but will happily rejoin my Dark Angels.  I never would have had the guts to start with a quartered scheme like this, and if I did, it would have looked like one of the finger paintings hanging on the fridge when the girls were little.  You did a great job of tackling a difficult theme.  

I did some bolter casings in a darkened gunmetal color with a slight blue cast, to make them look like old blued metalwork.  They contrasted with the leadbelcher, without adding another color to the model.  If I was to do ti over again, I would reverse the process, painting the rest of the gun in the darkened, blued color and the casing in leadbelcher. ( I just think the mechanical parts of the gun look great in the dark color with the Necron Compound highlights.  

Those vraks weapons are a thing of beauty and I can almost guarantee that I'll be copying that, or something close to it.

GoblinChow: There are definitely some good tips in here, I am quite glad that that the DA forums are apparently populated entirely by people who can paint better than I.