Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Now that looks like it crawled straight out of the artwork my friend. The use of lightning claws to make the legs is one heck of an idea and all the the little bits and pieces really build up the character and detail; the flame in the lantern is especially well done, given the size of the space. Can't wait to see him painted.

Thanks Pearson73! Thanks for such a high praise, tried to go for something weird like in John Blanche's drawings. Paint will have to wait though cause I currently don't have any proper paints other than washes cause all of my old ones dried out cause they weren't stored properly when I was on hobby hiatus. I keep buying new kits instead of replacing paints haha.

I love stuff like this. When mechanicum goes so far from being human. You cant tell where that character ends and the equipment starts. Great work :smile.:

Thanks brettfp! I'm thrilled you picked up on the "where character ends and equipment starts" cause I wanted the model to look strange as I could given my other warband members looked fairly regular in comparison.

Very cool concept, but I'm not sure about how you've integrated the legs with the body, maybe add more cabling? Or an upper mechanism? The upper part looks amazing though, such a gritty feel!

Thanks Traitor! I've actually made it look awkward on purpose, leaving only a bit of his robe covering the top of his legs. I wanted to go for a really strange looking model that made you wonder how he looked under the robes.

Very cool concept and execution.

Thanks Mikhal! Glad you liked the model, bits selection was a bit tricky as usual but I'm happy with the end result!

That is very cool Vairo :smile.:, I like the way you have him holding his drill - It looks quite threatening. I am enjoying this INQ28 stuff :thumbsup:

Nemac

Thanks Nemac! It's kinda cool how normal the narthecium looks on a regular marine but looks so big on a "human" sized model. I'm still quite motivated to do "human" conversions instead of just marines so I'm just trying to keep going before I veer off into marines again.

New guy is pretty awesome. Creepy as hell but awesome.

Thanks hushrong! Glad you liked the model, very satisfied the dismembered limbs and skulls came through as creepy enough!

What an evil little critter. :biggrin.:

Thanks Markus! I did try to make the model a little more sinister due to the other two members of the warband being more normal in comparison.

A few hours late this time instead of a few days, school has been taking up so much of my hobby time recently. This week I played around with the Goliath Gang kit and came up with this Goliath Champion. I know they're supposed to be vat grown and exposing most of their muscles but I wanted a more unique looking character so I tried using the easy build reiver kit to combine with Goliath bits. Decided to use a skitarii head instead of the standard Goliath heads cause I wanted him to look like he's survived a lot, just like his hammer. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

vr0Ksoi.jpg

That guy!!!!! Awesome!!! Guess i need some necromunda bits

You user reiver and Chaos warrior beside the goliath bits, right?

Thanks Mikhal! Yea the necromunda kits are fantastic, I'm especially looking forward to the new Orlock stuff. Yep I used the easy build reiver with the chaos warrior cape to form the torso, legs and arms were from Goliath, head is from skitarii with a Goliath mohawk.

Impressive character, great mix of bits.

Thanks Markus_! I had a stock Goliath and noticed how bit it was so I immediately started testing out other marine parts and ended up with this.

Talk about Kitbash WOW !!!!!:biggrin.:

Thanks DSS7! Glad you liked it, was a little tricky figuring out how the legs would work but I'm quite satisfied with the look overall.

That guy is the definition of Grim Dark! Hulking brute, sweet fur cloak, massive hammer, and bionic (on top of being vat-grown to be a giant slab of walking muscle)! Love that kit bash. If I could be so bold I think some rivets on his chest armor would look pretty sweet!

Thanks hushrong! The head was actually the last part completed for the model, I thought the bionics and mohawk would fit together really well with the rest of the model. Great idea for the rivets, I've got some in a box somewhere.

Looks cool, really menacing model!

Thanks Traitor! Glad he comes off as menacing, was hoping the bionics and big hammer would pull through haha.

As usual, I've procrastinated on assignments so I didn't have much hobby time this week. Just a simple conversion of hand swaps this week, but I think the overall feel of the model has changed from its original version. I had found this model again after a while when looking for old sprues, got rid of the plasma pistol cause I thought it was too clunky. I think the model looks kinda like a propaganda pict spread to imperial citizens but I quite like the look of it. Hopefully I'll get some more hobby time this week, although midterms are coming soon as well. Anyways thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

EEUKGmb.jpg

More Views:

8vLakNs.jpg

Reminds me a bit of Letters from Iwo Zima(?)

Cool model. Get some free time and surprise us with something bombastic^^

Thanks Mikhal! Yea it certainly gives a similar feel overall! I ended up making something "bombed" instead of bombastic :wink:.

Love the commissar. Reminds me of one the 40K comics where a commissar died while keeping the banner from falling in battle.

Thanks hushrong! A flag seemed the only other option rather than another pistol given the way the arm was positioned. I'll have to look up the older 40k comics, I'm trying to keep up to date with all the new ones that are released from Titan Comics recently.

Love the Goliath champion! What a fantastic model! Seriously gives some of those Forgeworld underhive scum models a run for its money! :smile.:

The Commissar is suitably heroic as well :smile.:

Thanks Kraut! Glad you liked the Goliath champion, I wanted a model that looked formidable but not too over the top.

Lovely commissar! Well done on using the flag's folding in conjunction with the metal commissar's pose to convey a lot of movement. Perfect!

Thanks Augustus! I was surprised at how well the flag worked myself haha. A flag was the only other thing I thought would work since the arm was originally meant for a pistol.

Actually looks pretty natural, it’s surprising how well the banner fits that sculpt, looks like the typical thing professional painters do to have space for freehands :tongue.:!

Thanks Traitor! Glad you approve, I was thrilled that the banner fit with the existing model without having to alter anything to make space. One of the simplest conversions I've done but still satisfactory I think.

Been pretty busy with midterms and essays this week. I had finished these objective markers a few days ago but only had the time to quickly update on instagram as my time on the computer the past few days was purely for school work that I had procrastinated on till the last moment. Anyways I made these two objective markers (even though I don't really play anymore) cause for as long as I can remember I've been really into space marine casualties. One of my top 5 favorite models is of course that dead terminator on the throne from space hulk and one of my first conversions ever (might have been the first) was a space marine with a chainsword jammed into his chest (can still find in my gallery). I found some busted up marines that I had used parts for other conversions so I decided to try and make some new space marine casualties. Damaging the armor was fun, so much that I kind of want to make more objective markers haha. Hopefully I'll update on time this Sunday, thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

564tvdJ.jpg

More Views:

nTZZtTW.jpg

v5RYb9N.jpg

54Aa4GW.jpg

Sweet markers! Pretty cool for an SM army trying to recover their fallen as it would make the game even more cinematic.

As for the comic, I think it was BOOM Comics or something like that. They had some Black Templar series and some guardsmen one. I had one about a Steel Legion (I think) guardsmen going undercover amongst the enemy and one about Cadian V. Tau which your commissar reminded me of.

Sweet markers! Pretty cool for an SM army trying to recover their fallen as it would make the game even more cinematic.

As for the comic, I think it was BOOM Comics or something like that. They had some Black Templar series and some guardsmen one. I had one about a Steel Legion (I think) guardsmen going undercover amongst the enemy and one about Cadian V. Tau which your commissar reminded me of.

Thanks hushrong! Most of my friends didn't bother converting up any objective markers back when we were more actively playing so it was a bit of a waste. I just wanted to ding up some armor and objective markers seemed like fun. Thanks for the info on the comic, I'll definitely take a look at it. Not sure how easy it'll be to find the old comics though...

Those markets are sweet. Send them over and i cast them fir you

Thanks Mikhal! I have a feeling I'll be making more of them haha! Damaging the armor is always fun, especially if you don't have to care about keeping the armor functional!

Late again this week, same deal as usual with procrastination. I didn't have much hobby time last week but I did have a free day where I had a one hour conversion challenge with some of my friends. The challenge consisted of drawing three options: 2 descriptive features and 1 weapon option. I ended up with "no eyes", horns and dual pistols. It was interesting to have such a small time frame to try and put together something cohesive, but it was a lot of fun. You might recognize the torso from my previous female inquisitor conversion, I wasn't too happy with the model recently so I scrapped it for parts and I'm currently planning out a remake for her. Anyways I'm not quite sure what this model is supposed to be, but for now I'll be counting it as a Cultist Champion. I'll probably update this week by Monday at the latest since I've had some more hobby time. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

adIu3pz.jpg

Back View:

AZiP0xX.jpg
Edited by Vairocanum

Now that looks like it crawled straight out of the artwork my friend. The use of lightning claws to make the legs is one heck of an idea and all the the little bits and pieces really build up the character and detail; the flame in the lantern is especially well done, given the size of the space. Can't wait to see him painted.

Thanks Pearson73! Thanks for such a high praise, tried to go for something weird like in John Blanche's drawings. Paint will have to wait though cause I currently don't have any proper paints other than washes cause all of my old ones dried out cause they weren't stored properly when I was on hobby hiatus. I keep buying new kits instead of replacing paints haha.

I love stuff like this. When mechanicum goes so far from being human. You cant tell where that character ends and the equipment starts. Great work :smile.:

Thanks brettfp! I'm thrilled you picked up on the "where character ends and equipment starts" cause I wanted the model to look strange as I could given my other warband members looked fairly regular in comparison.

Very cool concept, but I'm not sure about how you've integrated the legs with the body, maybe add more cabling? Or an upper mechanism? The upper part looks amazing though, such a gritty feel!

Thanks Traitor! I've actually made it look awkward on purpose, leaving only a bit of his robe covering the top of his legs. I wanted to go for a really strange looking model that made you wonder how he looked under the robes.

Thanks Mikhal! Glad you liked the model, bits selection was a bit tricky as usual but I'm happy with the end result!

That is very cool Vairo :smile.:, I like the way you have him holding his drill - It looks quite threatening. I am enjoying this INQ28 stuff :thumbsup:

Nemac

Thanks Nemac! It's kinda cool how normal the narthecium looks on a regular marine but looks so big on a "human" sized model. I'm still quite motivated to do "human" conversions instead of just marines so I'm just trying to keep going before I veer off into marines again.

Thanks hushrong! Glad you liked the model, very satisfied the dismembered limbs and skulls came through as creepy enough!

Thanks Markus! I did try to make the model a little more sinister due to the other two members of the warband being more normal in comparison.

A few hours late this time instead of a few days, school has been taking up so much of my hobby time recently. This week I played around with the Goliath Gang kit and came up with this Goliath Champion. I know they're supposed to be vat grown and exposing most of their muscles but I wanted a more unique looking character so I tried using the easy build reiver kit to combine with Goliath bits. Decided to use a skitarii head instead of the standard Goliath heads cause I wanted him to look like he's survived a lot, just like his hammer. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

vr0Ksoi.jpg

You damn genius, you just created the perfect wolf scouts for me! How did your assemble the chaos warrior cloak against the body? Also where are the shins and feet from?

That guy is rock'n roll

Thanks Mikhal, maybe I should have given him an axe to finish off the ensemble!

Looks Cool but more angles :biggrin.: please. 

Thanks DSS7! I totally forgot to put the back view image, I've edited the post now. Thanks for the reminder!

These are all such characterful conversions! Awesome work!

Thanks Inquisitor Engel! I'm really flattered! Converting is my favorite part of the hobby so I like to do random stuff!

Great cultist! I like that he really seems to enjoy himself. I mean why join chaos if you never have fun with it? :teehee:

Thanks Kyknos of Athena! Great point haha, better to join the "cool" side and stop worrying about getting into trouble.

The champion is pretty cool. Definitely has that worrisome factor an Inquisitor would be looking for in any possible heretic.

Are the legs from a Krieg guardsmen? Also, where are those weapons from?

Thanks hushrong! I definitely tried to go for an insane but deadly image for the model. Yep the legs are from a Krieg guardsman and the long pistol is from the empire pistoliers (I think), and the short one is an old dark eldar pistol.

Wow! He reminds me of the demons from the old Clive Barker's Jericho game and I'm loving it.

Thanks Chickenleg! Oh man I had totally forgotten about that game, I should make a cultist with knife hands!

Nemac

vr0Ksoi.jpg

You damn genius, you just created the perfect wolf scouts for me! How did your assemble the chaos warrior cloak against the body? Also where are the shins and feet from?

Thanks Grieux! Glad you liked the model, it was a fun kitbash. The most work is in the cloak, I got rid of the two hole parts for the arms, cut down the corners of the square parts (so that it wouldn't stick out beyond the reiver torso), and just glued the easy build reiver torso. The torso should fit between the two shoulder pad looking parts so cut out the inner part of the shoulder pad so that it lays flat against the square part of the cloak. The rest is just gap filling, and the boots were from the Necromunda Goliath box. Feel free to ask questions if you didn't understand my explanation or was wondering about anything else.

So I technically completed this model on Monday so my estimated time for update was not completely off, but I ended up being too busy to take pics and update this thread until now. Anyways this week I completed this Dark Angels Primaris. This is my first interaction with "actual primaris" (instead of reivers), the conversion is based on the art for the new Black Library Book: War of Secrets. I couldn't manage to get a full kneel to look proper (legs looked very awkward), so I settled for a "mid kneel" pose instead. Couldn't get decent pictures that showed the details of the robe part on the chest but it's not a blob in real life and does have folds in them. I've still got 2 primaris left so I'm thinking of doing some other chapters as well. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

CLtvwy9.jpg

More Views:

M3DzpnH.jpg

RRaojOj.jpg