Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Seeing your chaos group shot has me hearing ‘the boys are back in town’ in the back of my head. Love it!

And we’ll see about the chem dogs. I’d like them for cultists, especially my Alpha Legion, but I have too much on the table already to build...let alone paint. And I’m slower than a sloth when it comes to hobbying.

I do look forward to seeing a few more 30k DG but the thought of 30k Dark Angels sounds tantalizing. With all the bits out there to use I’m excited to see what you put together.

Despite their individualities, that's a cohesive little group.

Thanks Pearson73! Glad you think so, the bases definitely add to the cohesiveness I think.

Seeing your chaos group shot has me hearing ‘the boys are back in town’ in the back of my head. Love it!

And we’ll see about the chem dogs. I’d like them for cultists, especially my Alpha Legion, but I have too much on the table already to build...let alone paint. And I’m slower than a sloth when it comes to hobbying.

I do look forward to seeing a few more 30k DG but the thought of 30k Dark Angels sounds tantalizing. With all the bits out there to use I’m excited to see what you put together.

Thanks hushrong! Haha now I can't stop hearing that too! Would be happy to wait however long it takes you to build new stuff as your updates are always fantastic! I've got lots of ideas for the 30K DA army but gotta start coming up with a more concrete plan.

WHAT HUSHRONG SAID!

Hidden Content

hFsJDqE.jpg

*snip*

Oooooh yeah!

:biggrin.: 

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/3/2055/thumb_620x2000/qUnuw0i.gif

Had more hobby time this week, but I used that time to do more sculpting so I'm still late with updating but I finished this 30k Death Guard Consul this week. I had picked up this painted and busted Necrosius with some busted FW Death Guard as well for fairly cheap years ago but I sort of left them sitting in a bag and forgot about them till a while ago when I was cleaning out old stuff. I thought Necrosius would be a nice base for a 30k DG model so I swapped his mutated arm and leg with regular power armor and started sculpting from there. Quite happy with how the model turned out given that I had no real solid plan other than to de-nurgle the model. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

hXN7V5c.jpg

More Views:

XGzBuXe.jpg

MjxFNEh.jpg

xlQxtlj.jpg

9RbhCcC.jpg

Primarchs alive! You've made art again with green stuff! The consul just oozes character!

As for your future 30k DA just know that no plan ever survives contact with the enemy! I suggest you just buy a ton of marines, DA bits from GW and FW, and more greenstuff then just work your magic!

Hotdamn, dude. What can you not do with greenstuff? 

Inspiring work. I'm *joink*-ing the idea with the Primaris scout skull face thingie helmet and the hood. 

Thanks Augustus! I'm actually garbage at sculpting cloth :wink:. Can't do tabards or capes properly at all. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the reiver head and hood combo!

Man that is awesome! Really encapsulates the XIV look.

Thanks Markus_! The reiver head works surprisingly well with DG aesthetics!

Dam vair, what have you done! This thing is awesome!!!

Thanks Sagentus! Glad you liked the model, it was nice to do something with more extensive sculpting again.

Primarchs alive! You've made art again with green stuff! The consul just oozes character!

As for your future 30k DA just know that no plan ever survives contact with the enemy! I suggest you just buy a ton of marines, DA bits from GW and FW, and more greenstuff then just work your magic!

Thanks hushrong! I'm glad you think he's characterful enough, he was great sculpting practice! That sounds like a good idea for my future DA army haha, I think i'll end up going the Captain Jack style of true scaling as well for the army.

Amazing green stuff work, looks fantastic! The only thing I'd say is swap the pistol and mace, he looks a little odd hoisting the gun like that... kind like Ash from Army of Darkness.

Thanks DuskRaider! I fully agree that the pistol looks a bit out of place, but I had used the other mace from the Deathwatch box on another conversion so I had to make do with the current setup instead. Also speaking of Army of Darkness, that comment was a great idea for the model I made this week.

Very nice characters, he has the same demeanor as his father. :thumbsup:

Thanks Chickenleg! Very high praise to be likened to his father!

What Chickenleg said, great work fella!

Thanks NightHunters! I had a lot of fun making the model and it was great practice for sculpting!

Fairly late this week, had some friends back in town so I ended up going out more than I had planned. This week I have finished this chaos equivalent of a jokaero that I've decided to call Gnasher for my chaos warband. I just tried to make something really weird looking when building the model, so I went for a more stark combination of both metal and flesh. Quite happy with the tentacle eyeball thing on the right arm and the probing cable coming from the palm. It was great to just make something really weird for a change. Thanks for looking, C&C is appreciated!

hOADF0g.jpg

More Views:

EKsv7ua.jpg

HjlaZ7a.jpg

3JeRIqP.jpg

It's certainly weird alright, the cabling works very well and the green-stuff banding over the spinal column look really neat. The mechanical legs are a nice touch whilst the skull head really lends to the creepy theme.

Thanks Pearson73! I'm pleased with the green-stuff banding as well, was actually a last minute detail. The skull head was actually what started the whole conversion because I thought it'd look nice on a dark mechanicum model.

Loving it! Makes me feel weird inside but dang do I love it!

I also love the cable coming from his hand. Reminds me of Scorpion and I can just imagine the Gnasher using it to drag away victims, among other things.

Thanks hushrong! Glad you like the weirdness! I envisioned the cable as being both a weapon to catch victims and a techno-probe of some kind to corrupt the machine spirits.

Properly grotesque, this minion will serve well! :thumbsup:

Thanks Chickenleg! It was definitely fun to make something weird and grotesque for a change! 

Man, how did I miss that Death Guard Praetor? He's fantastic! Brilliant work!

The chaotic Jokaero-stand in also seems like good fun :wink:

Thanks Kraut! Glad you liked the DG consul, it was great to try and de-nurgle necrosius to fit into a 30k setting!

Man that break from school went by so fast, classes started today. Anyways for this week I finished this immortal warrior as part of this "Highlander 40k" project from Christof Keil (@k03rnl) over on instagram. He seems to be a bit sidetracked with other stuff at the moment so there hasn't been many new posts on the project recently, but if you look on his wordpress site you'll be able to see a general write up on the project.

I thought the concept of immortal warriors was really cool so I got to dryfitting parts a couple weeks ago but finally decided on the final bits choice last week and managed to finish the model earlier today. I knew that I wanted to use the goliaths in some way but didn't like their original legs. Stormcast Retributor legs helped add to the full plate armor feel of the model and added height as well. I also took some inspiration from medabots/warmachines and added two smoke stacks to his back cause I wanted to hide the exposed skin part more and made the model look a little more 40k like.

Overall very happy with how the model turned out. I've written some short fluff about the immortal with sort of an "easter egg" to warhammer fantasy. Hopefully will still be able to get hobby time during the week. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated

Moros
An obstinate immortal that believes broken armor should be replaced 
instead of repaired so his appearance has changed many times over the 
ages.Hence his main defining factor is his arcane sword which he claims 
was taken from a Vampire Lord of Old Terra. 

zmWa5hX.jpg

More Views:

PQVLV85.jpg

A6lQz0Z.jpg

Great composition, he looks very steampunk. As with many of the poses you give your models, the lack of direct aggression or stereotypical 'angry/violent/attacking warrior' feeling allows a deeper appreciation of the figure and his background and context; as can be seen in the way he holds his sword, it is obviously of great worth to this warrior.

I would say that the plain hilt of the sword could look better with a slight pattern, perhaps a criss-cross as seen on many, or even just winding lines to indicate that it is fabric/leather wrapped around to provide a good grip. At present, I feel the lack of detail there makes it look a little unfinished.

Man, wait till you are done with all of your classes and schooling. Things like breaks and summers off become nonexistent...then even respites like the weekends or holidays just go by in the blink of an eye. *stare off into the distance, dead-eyed.

Anyways, Moros is a great character. I like the pose and I like to think he is staring out from behind the slit of his helm measuring up his opponents. I agree with Pearson that a little bit more detail on the hilt would be a nice touch and I think maybe some rivets or an bit of extra detail on his pauldrons would be good.

Great composition, he looks very steampunk. As with many of the poses you give your models, the lack of direct aggression or stereotypical 'angry/violent/attacking warrior' feeling allows a deeper appreciation of the figure and his background and context; as can be seen in the way he holds his sword, it is obviously of great worth to this warrior.

I would say that the plain hilt of the sword could look better with a slight pattern, perhaps a criss-cross as seen on many, or even just winding lines to indicate that it is fabric/leather wrapped around to provide a good grip. At present, I feel the lack of detail there makes it look a little unfinished.

Thanks Pearson73! I've realized that the reason why I do more models in more static poses is cause I like having the shoulder pads facing downwards so those kinds of poses end up being more common among the stuff I do. Glad the importance of the sword came through, I'll try and add some detail to the sword handle after experimenting on something first.

Man, wait till you are done with all of your classes and schooling. Things like breaks and summers off become nonexistent...then even respites like the weekends or holidays just go by in the blink of an eye. *stare off into the distance, dead-eyed.

Anyways, Moros is a great character. I like the pose and I like to think he is staring out from behind the slit of his helm measuring up his opponents. I agree with Pearson that a little bit more detail on the hilt would be a nice touch and I think maybe some rivets or an bit of extra detail on his pauldrons would be good.

Thanks hushrong! I totally understand that work is gonna suck in a whole lot of ways after university is over (technically done after this semester but will be delaying graduation cause my parents can't make to Fall graduation). HOWEVER, I can get paid instead of having to spend hundreds of dollars on textbooks as well as having to write essays (I despise meeting word counts) so I'm looking forward to be done with school. Glad you like the pose of Moros, definitely took a long time before I settled on this one. Will try and add some more detail to the sword handle, but the the pauldrons were left relatively sparse because on the model the only real detail is on the helmet and chest/waist. The idea was that he doesn't go for much fancy stuff cause he has to replace them eventually anyways.

Badass.

Thanks Chickenleg! Went for a bulky character to look more imposing!

Fantastic work, he really looks like he means business!  Yet again you have managed to seamlessly blend and tie all his parts together into an excellent coherent whole. 

Thanks Kordhal! My favorite part of warhammer is building something out of totally different parts so I try to make the model look distinct enough from what it used to be.

Lots of textbook and articles reading this summer, hopefully hobby time doesn't get impacted too much. This week I made my second attempt at a Gundam Marine (my first attempt on first page of this thread). I had wanted to do a Gundam Marine ever since the grey knight plastics were released cause I thought the GK interceptor backpack looked like the beam sabers from the RX-78. Wasn't happy with my first attempt, but came back to try again a few months ago and only finalized the bits choice recently. I've based the Gundam Marine off the RX-78 mentioned earlier and equipped the model with the standard "beam rifle" and shield like the original. Didn't want to go for an exact replica, just pulled some more major design aspects from the RX-78. I decided to use the primaris legs cause I liked the chunkier look compared to regular legs. The MKIII torso was enlarged with plasticard spacers both top-bottom and left-right so that it would fit with the primaris legs and the arms are basically done from scratch using the white plasticard rods and greenstuff. I still need to fix up some places as well as finish off the back of the gun but it's basically done so I'm sharing here first. Unfortunately as soon as I finished taking pics I knocked off one of the "beam sabers" on the backpack and I have no idea where it is now, at least I got the pictures though :wallbash:.Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

VEv5zGx.jpg

More Views:

tSKBknf.jpg

sMDBLVK.jpg

56ekCR5.jpg

Fantastic work on the Jokaero for sure! I love the guitar string vertebrae. The eyeball is a really cool idea!

The Primaris conversion makes me think of Optimus Prima for some reason... I'm not even sure whether that's a good thing or a bad? It's very involved for sure, so slap some paint on that thing!

I saw your recent conversion and thought "no way" but sure enough it was the RX-78! Now you need to give him a squad like the 8th MS Team and a enemy to fight. Maybe a double gatling gun shield Gouf and some zakus?

Yeah...this is how I finally get to see a miniatures game for Gundam.