Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Damn, hope the thumb heals up nice and quick.

As hushrong says, it's interesting to see a clothed Kroot and a chunkier one at that, but it certainly looks good. He seems like a lone wandering scavenger to me, so I feel he could do with an assortment of extra pouches and containers for all his survival kit and loot he discovers. I can just picture him wandering through deserts, so I think a sandy/tan scheme to his clothing could work well, though if he's destined to join an inquisitorial warband, this might not fit so well.

Hey man, this robed Kroot looks cool. I really like your subtle alterations with green stuff that I can tell I would never notice once painted.

Regarding that possessed arm, I've never seen one! I got my possessed pre built off a friend and I guess he must have thrown anything he didnt use? It looks cool, I'm sorry I dont have one! Thanks for the compliment though, I'm glad you like my sculpts... Im still learning a lot but I'm trying my best and really pushing myself.

Looks really cool, you're really upping your game in speedy conversions!!! The clothing does make him more outcast-like, so he should work great as a mercenary working for the Inquisition. My only suggestion would be to drill the barrel, even if I never do it myself :sweat:...

Thanks Traitor! I think I just got lucky with this conversion, the other one day builds were only "ok" in my opinion. Will definitely drill the barrel, thanks for the reminder!

The kroot looks great, really liking the heavily garbed appearance. Would fit as a sanctified xeno into a warband nicely.

Thanks Markus_! Glad you think he'd fit in, wasn't sure if the body of the chaos cultist would work as a base at first.

It's weird seeing one with clothes on but that also makes it awesome.

Nice conversion and great sculpting!

Thanks hushrong! I figured it would make him seem less feral and more subordinated if he was wearing clothes. Glad you approve of the sculpting, cloth is still something I'm trying to figure out properly.

Your Chaos war band is willing to employ Kroot mercenaries?

Thanks Bjorn! It's not for the chaos warband, it was for the warband of another inquisitor I made last year. Also since my chaos warband is being lead by a dark magos, I wouldn't put it past them to hire some xenos to help out as I feel they care less about these relations and value stuff like archaeotech more.

Damn, hope the thumb heals up nice and quick.

As hushrong says, it's interesting to see a clothed Kroot and a chunkier one at that, but it certainly looks good. He seems like a lone wandering scavenger to me, so I feel he could do with an assortment of extra pouches and containers for all his survival kit and loot he discovers. I can just picture him wandering through deserts, so I think a sandy/tan scheme to his clothing could work well, though if he's destined to join an inquisitorial warband, this might not fit so well.

Thanks Pearson73! I let the thumb rest a few more days after building the Kroot and by now it looks like it's healing well. Good call on adding accessories, will add some bits and bobs to make him look more scavenger like.

Hey man, this robed Kroot looks cool. I really like your subtle alterations with green stuff that I can tell I would never notice once painted.

Regarding that possessed arm, I've never seen one! I got my possessed pre built off a friend and I guess he must have thrown anything he didnt use? It looks cool, I'm sorry I dont have one! Thanks for the compliment though, I'm glad you like my sculpts... Im still learning a lot but I'm trying my best and really pushing myself.

Thanks Pandora! Glad you approve of the GS work, still learning to do cloth properly so I'm glad to hear some positive feedback. Great to know you're pushing yourself with the models cause you've been coming out with consistently fantastic work with every update!

I ended up not doing hobby stuff for a few more days to let my thumb heal, and when I went to work on the chaos possessed I changed my mind about some stuff and couldn't figure out something I was happy with so that's on hold for now again. So instead we have another one day build this week with a 30k Ultramarine. I just wanted to do something space marine related and finally decided on using the ultramarines chapter champion legs as a base. Just some rough work for a quick model to satisfy that space marine urge. I'm working on another mercenary for my chaos warband (there's gonna be quite a few hired mercs in the warband) who is going to be from the Blood Pact. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

7EDQWdT.jpg

You've got tons of great characters here. I like the idea of making one of everything and trying to eke out all the characteristics of that particular type.

Super smooth green stuff for your Deadpool. He's wicked.

I really like Moros the immortal! He's got a real techno barbarian look and I like the 40k highlander idea.

I haven't seen too much of your thread so far but I like what I see.

dude, that dark magus looks boss!

keep em coming!

Thanks PeaceCraft! Glad you liked the Dark Magos, he spent the longest time in the planning stage!

Looking good! Where are the legs from?

I must also say I am very excited to see a member of the Blood Pact showing up! Their stahlhelms, grotesques, and all!

Thanks hushrong! The legs are from the Ultramarines Chapter Champion model that comes as a part of Calgar's honor guard. Sorry to have taken away from their normal aesthetics but I wanted to do a slightly different concept which I've explained below.

You've got tons of great characters here. I like the idea of making one of everything and trying to eke out all the characteristics of that particular type.

Super smooth green stuff for your Deadpool. He's wicked.

I really like Moros the immortal! He's got a real techno barbarian look and I like the 40k highlander idea.

I haven't seen too much of your thread so far but I like what I see.

Thanks Krakendoomcool! I like Warhammer the most for it's "lego" like aspect of making whatever you want, so I just like doing random stuff instead of focusing on army building (although I do plan on doing a proper army eventually). Happy you're liking my models so far, hope you enjoy the rest!

This semester has been relatively simple compared to last semester but due dates are catching up as we approach the end of the semester, so I'm late again after procrastinating too much for school stuff. Anyways this week I finished this (former?) member of the Blood Pact. When planning out models for this warband one of the concepts I came up with was some sort of "re-purposed" character. So I decided to use that concept on this Blood Pact Trooper. The general idea for the model was that the Dark Magos had made both physical and mental alterations to bend the trooper to his will. I've decided against the standard stahlhelm and grotesque to fit in a bit more with Dark Mechanicus warband aesthetics. I gave him some butcher's nails looking thing on his head and the gas mask looking head from the Goliath kit to represent some mental alterations. I gave him a mechanical arm wielding a plasma pistol and also added some vials for doping his organic arm. The warband is coming along nicely, but still lacking bits for some stuff I want to make but it'll be a while till I'll have the spare cash to make a bits order (too many electronics to replace). Anyways thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

01A1RRd.jpg

More Views:

ln3OTRJ.jpg

zro1NKI.jpg

4y1jsHj.jpg

dsZTMLh.jpg

ytWkJNi.jpg

Okaaayy... this guy is cool. for a start, before I even get to the model, I love the skulls buried in the ground, was that your idea or have you seen it somewhere before? it looks awesome.

As with almost all of your models, Im really enjoying your use of GS, very cool additions to the armour and accesories, and very clean. I really like the pipe/cabling youve curved added to the head too, wicked idea, was it much bother to do with the metal? Whats the plasma arm from? I really like it.

I freaking love these models your coming out with, you know what these would make... an awesome kill team. So much character.

That's an awesome trooper right there. You worked that scion piece onto the blood reaver beautifully and the sculpt work around it is great as well. I like the quasi butcher nails and the head choice too. I'm kind of wondering if there is a way I could use that head bit for a Legion Destroyer as it also has a gasmask-esque look which seems fitting.

Again, the trooper is awesome and I am eagerly awaiting for this warband to get filled out more.

The Pact member has a nice bulk to him, has quite a presence. The masked head works really well and all the extra grenades and mechanicus backpack give him a more professional soldier look. As usual your sculpting has helped blend some very different parts into a cohesive whole, those quasi-nails are a nice touch also.

• 1 month later...

Okaaayy... this guy is cool. for a start, before I even get to the model, I love the skulls buried in the ground, was that your idea or have you seen it somewhere before? it looks awesome.

As with almost all of your models, Im really enjoying your use of GS, very cool additions to the armour and accesories, and very clean. I really like the pipe/cabling youve curved added to the head too, wicked idea, was it much bother to do with the metal? Whats the plasma arm from? I really like it.

I freaking love these models your coming out with, you know what these would make... an awesome kill team. So much character.

Thanks Pandora! I had seen something similar for the skulls on the plastic dreadnought base from GW. Great to hear the sculpting was good, the metal is actual solder instead of wire so it was much more malleable. The plasma arm came from a variety of parts, pistol was from the old khorne berserker kit, fist/hand from the mechanicus sicarian kit, and bionic arm from space marines multi part plastic captain kit. 

That's an awesome trooper right there. You worked that scion piece onto the blood reaver beautifully and the sculpt work around it is great as well. I like the quasi butcher nails and the head choice too. I'm kind of wondering if there is a way I could use that head bit for a Legion Destroyer as it also has a gasmask-esque look which seems fitting.

Again, the trooper is awesome and I am eagerly awaiting for this warband to get filled out more.

Thanks hushrong! Glad you liked the model, I was quite happy with how the scion torso fit onto the legs as well. I'm sure you could graft the face plate onto a helmet as they both have similar sizes. I'm currently working on another member of the warband so hopefully I'll get to finish soon.

The Pact member has a nice bulk to him, has quite a presence. The masked head works really well and all the extra grenades and mechanicus backpack give him a more professional soldier look. As usual your sculpting has helped blend some very different parts into a cohesive whole, those quasi-nails are a nice touch also.

Thanks Pearson! I'm happy you like the choice of accessories cause I was having some difficulties choosing at first.

Good job.

Thanks Bjorn, it was a fun model to build!

Over a month later and now I finally have time to do a little hobbying. I'm going to be studying abroad in Japan next semester so I was busy with various preparations and didn't have much free time. Anyways I'm leaving in about a week and with preparations basically complete I've been able to squeeze in some hobby time. I wanted to do something completely random so I kitbashed a truescale marine that just looked cool rather than making something specific. Since I won't have access to all my bits in Japan, I'm going to try and churn out a few models this week. I'm currently working on a gun servitor for my Dark Mechanicus warband, some mercenary/ganger model, and some random space marine stuff so I'll try and update as I finish the models. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

XoAEMst.jpg

More Views:

VgXuKUj.jpg

7HZRlgn.jpg

The marine looks like a modernised version of one of those Rogue Trader era power armours, their designs were wild (and sometimes all over the place :biggrin.: ). This would deffinately pass as artificer armour for example.

Good luck on your travels!

Thanks Markus! The lasgun was definitely inspired by the old Rogue Trader models. Glad the overall looks work as artificer armor as I was worried about the distinctness of the custodes legs. Also thanks for the good wishes!

Sweet conversion! I thought you made a sagittarum guard for a moment. Regardless it is sweet!

Have fun with your semester in Japan! Maybe you can pick up some of those fancy Space Marine Heroes they sell over there!

Thanks hushrong! I thought about making one but I decided to keep things simpler in the end so it stayed kinda random. I'm definitely going to try and get some of the space marine heroes especially now that they have terminator versions as well. Would be good to convert some of those while having no access to my usual bits.

Looking good mate you will love Japan . So many toys !!!!! I have a cousin there and a Nephew will be stationed there .

Thanks DSS7! Yea I'm looking forward to seeing all the "nerd stuff", too bad I'm not just there for vacation or else I'd be buying a lot more haha.

Liking the new fella; the mix of armour marks creates an interesting silhouette, the lasgun is a nice touch too.

Glad to see you back and posting, good luck over in Japan, I imagine it'll be quite the shift!

Thanks Pearson! Glad the whole thing works together! Only managed to finish two models before I flew to Japan, so only one more update before I stop posting for a while again.

I made it to Japan, but man long flights feel so draining. The first model of the two that I had finished before leaving for Japan was this Cultist for the Dark Mechanicus. It was a fairly rough concept so I didn't fully base it up like with the others as I'm not sure if I'll continue to work on him after I get back or if I'll even include him in the warband at all. I'll be getting the other model posted up in a couple of days hopefully. Thanks for looking C&C is appreciated!

pKmw913.jpg

Back View:

Kl18FHK.jpg

I really like your Dark Mech stuff, buddy. They're sinister without being excessively chaos-y.

Thanks sock, glad you like them! I always thought that the Dark Mechanicus worshipped technology over chaos so I didn't go too heavy on the chaos motifs. 

I've been in Japan for a couple days now, this is the last model I built before leaving, a gun servitor for my Dark Mechanicus warband. He's kinda bare right now, but I might add some more small details to him when I get back to Canada. On an unrelated note, Japan has been really fun so far even though I can't walk too far without seeing something I want to buy. Since I'm away from all my warhammer stuff this thread will probably be pretty quiet till some time next year, but I hope to update with some new stuff every once in a while if I can get my hands on some small stuff like the space marine heroes.

es6Z5Nb.jpg

More Views:

K1o4ndE.jpg

oufFbHl.jpg

Glad you made it to Japan! And you are not kidding about the long flights. I think I slept for a day and half after getting there(years ago) plus the jet lag! Be sure to stick around and do post anything new you get your hands on 40k wise (there are tons of cool stuff there I don't think you could post here sadly). I'm going to miss the steady stream of sweet conversions.

I really like that gun-servitor, the more aggressive, running pose isn't one that would normally be associated with a heavy weapons machine/grunt, yet it works well. The slight twist to the torso angle adds heavily to the sense of motion and targetted movement.