New DRAFT FAQ

MoonPhoenix

Deathwing nailed in the coffin as expected so not really sure if any of those really change anything.  Except maybe the KDK players trying to play the "we're not Chaos Space Marines" card.

Deathwing nailed in the coffin as expected so not really sure if any of those really change anything.  Except maybe the KDK players trying to play the "we're not Chaos Space Marines" card.

At least we can actually take our dedicated transport Land Raiders in the Deathwing redemption force...

Ummmm what am I missing here? I don't see any answers that take away from DW, seems like they just gained the ability to actually take a Land Raider now which is a positive.

Can someone explain why this draft FAQ makes DW only armies an autolose? I don't get it. Like Ronin said, the clairity on Land Raiders coming in from reserve helps.

It specifically says you auto-lose on page 3 of the FAQ.

To paraphrase the document....  If your army is strictly Deathwing you auto-lose at the end of turn 1.     Deathwing and Ravenwing were intended to support other units.   Either include other non-DW units or have a chat with your opponent about the auto-lose rule.

Yeah for the auto lose thing if its that important to my opponent then I will give them a "win" so they can take it home and place it in their box of other "wins." If they actually want to play the game then we can play. I like having a themed force of all Termi's (kinda our thing as DA right?) so I'm going to play it and if they want the "win" its all theirs.

Well, at least we can once again field DW with Land Raiders and don't have to use Hammer of Caliban to get a Land Raider in a Lion's Blade - although how much will that get us when it can get on the table on the second turn at the earliest (alpha strike dodge ?).

Ok I understand that DW only armies taken with the formation/detachment auto lose, but that isn't a change, that is how the rule has always been since the codex came out. That's my point it's not like this FAQ "nerfed" anything, it only allowed the ability to take a LR with the DW now

edit: and why don't people just take a CAD and fill in the troops slot with a couple scout units?

Ok I understand that DW only armies taken with the formation/detachment auto lose, but that isn't a change, that is how the rule has always been since the codex came out. That's my point it's not like this FAQ "nerfed" anything, it only allowed the ability to take a LR with the DW now

I think the issue is that people were hoping it WOULD change. I, for one, was hoping to be able to play my pure Deathwing again.

edit: and why don't people just take a CAD and fill in the troops slot with a couple scout units?

In short, it misses the point and destroys the theme for those who got into Deathwing for Deathwing - DW and RW are for many veterans armies of their own, mixing them with anything but perhaps eachother is like spending years building a lovingly painted fluffy Chaos army and then getting suggestions to include Centurions painted as Ultramarines to make the army more viable. Then there are more meta reasons and gameplay reasons but the first sentence will sum it up for most Deathwing players - I hope someone not writing from a mobile can elaborate if they wish.

Right the point was that in previous editions, when most pure death wing players started, it was not an auto lose to start your entire army in deep strike reserve, because a mass Teleport assault behind enemy lines to decapitate an enemy comand structure or jump all over a suspected fallen was the entire point of the pure deathwing army.

Essentially they squatted pure deathwing as an army.

Deathwing nailed in the coffin as expected so not really sure if any of those really change anything. Except maybe the KDK players trying to play the "we're not Chaos Space Marines" card.

I play kdk and I don't get how someone could claim they aren't chaos Marines, though it does highlight that only the stuff with crossover with the Csm codex causes the Frocked one's ire to rise, so if you just play daemons in kdk that mitigates that (unless you are fighting Grey Knights.)

A guy I know plays mostly "Greenwing" (He plays consecrators) and I was curious about the da captain not being able to take a bike.

It seems like if you wanted a dw or rw captain, librarian or whatever you could just pay for and upgrade like a chaos mark...

RW only army with flyers is autolose...

Incorrect,

RWSF with a RWSupport Squadron (first turn) <--- pure...

OR

RWSF (first turn) with a RWSilence Squadron, Pure

One word: Unbound

Two more words: Friendly game

Three words: no Deathwing Assault

Well you're both narrow minded...

RWAS (first turn) 4 different (edit: 12" range) DS homers (and Grav)  for the DWRF

Yes fine, the glass is half empty and "Pure" has gone away...   but the glass is half full too and its a nice 18y/o single malt (or beverage of your choice.)

Use the detachments...  You can run any number of formations/detachments in normal games and most TO's will allow two...  None of the above is more than two.....

Well you're both narrow minded...

RWAS (first turn) 4 different (edit: 12" range) DS homers (and Grav)  for the DWRF

Yes fine, the glass is half empty and "Pure" has gone away...   but the glass is half full too and its a nice 18y/o single malt (or beverage of your choice.)

Use the detachments...  You can run any number of formations/detachments in normal games and most TO's will allow two...  None of the above is more than two.....

First, there's no reason to be calling someone narrow-minded because they want to play a pure Deathwing army.

Second, the solution to not being able to play a pure Deathwing army is obviously not to play a pure Deathwing army. Adding anything to it, by definition, makes it not a pure Deathwing army. I don't think that's news to anyone.

Archived