duz_

Played a 2,500 point game against Necrons last night

My list:

Cadian Battalion

Company Commander w/PS + Laurels of Command

Company Commander w/ PS + Plasma

Command Squad w/standard, vox, medic and meltagun

Infantry squad w/ Grenade Launcher, HB, Vox

Infantry squad w/ Flamer, HB, Vox in Chimera (no upgrades)

Infantry squads w/ GL, Missile Launcher, Vox

Hellhound w/ HB

Scout Sentinel w/Ml

Basilisk

HWS w/ 2x Mortar, Lascannon

HWS w/ 2x HB, Autocannon

Regular Battalion

Company Commander

Lord Commissar

Vindicare, Eversor Assassin

Infantry squad w/ HB, Melta

Infantry squad w/ Autocannon, Flamer

HWS w/ 2x Lascannon, Mortar

Scion squad w/ GL, Flamer

Cadian Supreme Command

Pask in Exterminator, 3x HB, HK Missile

Tank Commander in LRBT, Lascannon, 2x HB

Tank Commander in Demolisher, Lascannon, 2x Plasma Cannons

Baneblade w/ Heavy Stubber and HB sponsons

Cron army from memory was:

Overlord

2x Crypteks

Destroyer Lord

Deceiver

Triarch Stalker

2x 20 warriors

5 Immortals

2x 3 bases of Scarabs

Annihilation Barge

Wraiths

Monolith

4 Destroyers and 2 Heavy Destroyers.

Managed to get 1St turn, played spoils of war maelstrom mission. Hammer and Anvil deployment (I wanted as much range as possible on the robots)

https://imgur.com/a/ut75E

oojgmeI.jpg

Destroyed the immortals, all but 1 destroyer, a wraith, 7 warriors from the squad not in the Monolith, 3 bases of Scarabs, damaged Assassins took wounds off the overlord and destroyer Lord

Ended the turn with 7 vp (First blood, 3 for priority orders received, and 3 on d3 for the objective for giving multiple orders, couldn't get secure objective 3 as was in Necron lines)

Necron turn 1, no Monolith as there was for it to land near my lines , 3 Destroyers and 4 warriors return, take a bit of damage to the Demolisher and sentinel, lose the Scion squad and eversor to the warriors but managed to pull them out of position. Necrons get 2 points (stole my secure objective 3, drew it themselves) I stole a point (sat on objective 4 with my vindicare) AM lead 8-2 after turn 1

Turn 2

Draw Defend Objective 4, Regimental Pride (kill a character with a AM character) and Overkill.

Move some stuff forward, take the warrior blob down to 3, finish off the Wraiths (took a ridiculous amount of firepower) Stalker left with 1 wound, Baneblade kills off all the Destroyers. Destroyer Lord down to 2 wounds, Deceiver loses a wound.

Overkill gives me 3 points on d3 for the Baneblade straight up murdering the Destroyers.

Necron turn 2, draws secure objective 6, 5 and 1 (I hold 5&1). Blob is brought back to 15 from 3. Monolith finally arrives in front of my gunline and 20 warriors hop out. Demolisher TC gets destroyed, Pask loses a couple of wounds, sentinel gets finished off, one infantry squad gets reduced to the Sgt, GL and HWS and another loses 5 grunts, Chimera takes a couple of wounds too. Scarabs toasted on overwatch by sentinel.

End of turn 2 I pick up defend objective 4, so another 7 points in the turn taking me to 14, Necrons 3.

My turn 3

I draw secure objective 4 and psychological warfare. Vindicare kills the destroyer Lord, Deceiver gets taken out, Monolith loses 19 wounds to the Baneblade from the big gun doing 15 wounds and a Lascannon + Demolisher doing the other 3, then gets taken out by another Lascannon, meaning the Crypteks still inside gets killed. The warrior blobs are reduced to 2 and 5, ensuring I get psychological warfare.

I score 2 points (4 and psychological warfare) taking me to 16.

Necrons get the remaining blob back up to 15 before veil of darkness shenanigans and turning up in my backside behind my Lord Commissar and Baneblade. Lose an infantry squad to the warriors, the Baneblade takes a wound from the overlord and my Commissar blams a warrior on overwatch before punching out 3 and losing 2 wounds. Remaining Cryptek charges the Chimera, takes a wound on overwatch and in combat to it.

Necrons score objective 5 and I steal secure objective 2, but that's it taking it to 17-4

Turn 4 and the Cryptek is toasted by the Hellhound, the Baneblade murders the overlord but had to pump everything into him. Couldn't disengage the warriors with my Lord Commissar, so the Baneblade went Crush them and ran over 6, the Commissar punched out a few more and my company commander took down a couple leaving 3 left. objectives are assassinate, secure objective 6 (no way to get that) and defend objective 6.

Necron turn 4 was 2 reanimating then the remainder getting squished by the Baneblade, completing a fairly simple victory for the Imperium

Yesterday I had some grenadiers nuke a fire raptor with their meltas, kill a bunch of blood angels, then survive to a single man in close combat whereby he fell back and killed an encroaching character before dying. They might have died to a man but they took their pound of flesh.

Also my heavy mortar gunners are getting a promotion after being the last left standing and taking a deep toll on some Blood Angel elites.

The Baneblade cannon is a thing of beauty. In the 3 turns I fired it, I got 10, 10 and 11 shots off with it. Only got the reroll-1s buff for the 2nd lot of 10s. I was worried it might whiff, being it's first time out. New model syndrome and all that.

Next week, 2.5k battle against Iron warriors with a load of Forge World shenanigans. Hellforged Derideo, Contemptor and Leviathan dreads, Helbrutes and Sicarans.

For this I'm thinking either Shadowsword, parked as far away as possible and pick off 1 nasty thing a turn as Cadian. Or take the Supreme Command detachment as 3 tank commanders and go Tallarn. Hellhammer and 2 Russes (probably Battle Cannon and Demolisher) up the back passage anyone?

Hey all, had a very quick and bloody Planet strike game this evening at my local GW as part of their narrative campaign.

Was a 50 power per army game and ended up being two players a side due to lack of tables with my Cadians paired with Blood Angels vs Death Guard and Thousand Sons. 

We were playing the "Desparate Assault" mission as the attackers which favoured us greatly as we automatically got first turn and were able to kill off 11 pox walkers and a handful of marines with Firestorm before the game started.. Which set the tone for how brutal the first turn would be.

Due to the deployment rules the enemy began right within rapid fire range and felt the full wrath of Cadia, 3 units were wiped off the board and the rest suffered heavy casualties leaving 70 models dead to a single Death Company trooper in close combat. 

With the enemy crushed and under the hammer of the combined forces of the Imperium and surrounded on all sides the heratics conceded the game at the start of their first turn, due to time limit and near no chance of pulling back. 

A swift, bloody and absolute victory.

What you see of their army is what was remaining when they conceded (there were a few units of 20 in the middle there): 

TyILvJS.jpg

The list I took comprised off:

50 power level.

HQ

Company Commander
Pask

Primaris Psyker

Elites

Command Squad(4)

Troops

Infantry(10) x 2

Kasrkin(10)

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tanks x 2

The next session of the campaign is at 75 power level, any suggestions as to what to add would be appreciated :smile.:

Edited by The Taffster

Sounds like your opponents may have been mismatched with their forces. Either way the dice gods decreed that the game should be quick, coming back from a first turn like that would be nigh impossible. A win's a win though, glory to the Guard and their allies!

Sounds like your opponents may have been mismatched with their forces. Either way the dice gods decreed that the game should be quick, coming back from a first turn like that would be nigh impossible. A win's a win though, glory to the Guard and their allies!

Well these guys are power gamers and had been crafting their campaign lists together so going into this game I was expecting the worst!

I think they're deployment really let them down and we did get very lucky with the rolls, so much death.. did feel somewhat bad.. but then they did steamroll a newbie last week so I guess we can call it justice!

Well these guys are power gamers and had been crafting their campaign lists together so going into this game I was expecting the worst!

I think they're deployment really let them down and we did get very lucky with the rolls, so much death.. did feel somewhat bad.. but then they did steamroll a newbie last week so I guess we can call it justice!

The Emperor protects! And he does so through you, soldier!

Ive just won four different auctions on Ebay (I banked on winning one or two) and Ive now just bought 70 plastic shock troops......

I dont know if I should be happy or sad about this :/

When 70 unpainted minis turn up thats going to be one big pile of plastic!

Perhaps best not to look a gift horse in the mouth; I was looking for troopers on eBay a few weeks back and found only "optimistic" prices shall we say!

Im working on a basis of £1 per mini for unpainted is reasonable so in this lot I paid 80p per mini on average  (including all postage)

Edited by UltraRich

Well... recently my army got Sly Marbo. This has led to a WIP Sgt Harker... which in turn has led to a message to the Munitarium for a Corvus Blackstar which will be converted into a Valkyrie. To follow that will be a platoon commander and command squad which will make up a nice little vanguard detachment.

I doubt any will see paint... but they'll get converted and added to the war machine READY to be painted (eventually).

This weekend my Guard were infiltrated by Genestealers! Brother in Law lent me some models so I could play as a cult army, pretty good fun! I wouldn't say adding any of the cult units makes Guard better but certainly not worse.

Infiltrating Genestealers are expensive but brutal. I took them instead of Bullgryns and they did well. All in all good fun and if you want to try something different with your Guard picking up some cult units is a good, cheap(ish) way of doing that.

Next game I'll be taking an Inquisitor to makes sure there are no filthy Xenos left lurking in my army though...

Oh, and a dual heavy flamer Chimera carrying a flamer armed SWS, a flamer armed command squad and a company commander (sadly no flamer) is FUN :D

Just bought some wyrdvane psykers that I intend to use as Primaris. Especially as GW charge the same for a 3 pack of wyrdvane as they do Primaris... Aim to at least get them undercoated by Thurs so I can use them to buff my Shadowsword against some Iron warriors using Forge World filth...

Ive just won four different auctions on Ebay (I banked on winning one or two) and Ive now just bought 70 plastic shock troops......

I dont know if I should be happy or sad about this :/

When 70 unpainted minis turn up thats going to be one big pile of plastic!

I'll buy 30 off of you :wink:

As for my guard today, 3 russes are getting basecoats done. Then I'll do the weapons and hats of  ~15 Vostroyans.

After the "give me a tournament theme" page consensus was a mobile list, I made one and tested in in round 1 of the tournament at the local gaming club, took in 1000 points:

Armageddon regiment for all

3X company commanders (boltgun, plasma pistol + blade of conquest + ex-gang leader warlord trait)

2X primaris psykers

3X infantry squads (2 plamsa)

3X chimeras (4 heavy flamers, 2 heavy bolters) 

Priest (power maul)

2X hellhounds (2 heavy flamers)

Devil dog (heavy flamers).

Almost tabled an eldar Iyalden player, he had 1 wraithguard left after turn 6, I had 2 company commanders left, 15 guard, the devil dog on 1 wound, the 2 psykers and the heavy bolter chimera.

All in all, it was a very fun game! Favourite moment was over a turn, dealing 7 wounds to the spirit seer, surviving the charge from the autarch next round and dealing 9 wounds to him! the Ex-ganger company commander with blade of conquest is brutal :smile.:

Will keep posting weekly updates on how well this mobile guard list works. 

Eldar list:

Farseer

spirit seer

autarch

10 guardians

2x 5 dire avengers

5 wraithguard with flamers

Hemlock

wave serpent

Edited by Halfpint100

Received one Knight Paladin as reinforcements. I have 10 Kasrkin waiting for their annual uniform issue, and 2 Leman Russes and a Vulture in the Paint booth. Additionally there is a Knight Warden receiving a new coat of paint. 

Soon they will see redeployment to a Combat Zone.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a game in yesterday against a local heretic DA player where we kept missing our schedule games.

True to form I got there 20mins late and we lost our 6x4 table so played on the 4x4 table with minimal terrain.

I dropped my list from 2000 to 1250.

I didnt think it was that OP running my outflanking Mordian plasma execution vet squad, bullgryns, ogryns and a couple of basilisks.

He ran an infantry heavy primaris list with some devs dakka contemptor and a psyker.

Batrep

I got turn 1 and it was all over turn 2.

By 3 he had 4 models left and maelstrom and secondaries were a blow out.

I felt bad I didn't think the list was OP it was just units I liked or wanted to try. The double basilisk might have been excessive admittedly...

I certainly didn't help with the perception of guards current power level. Nor did another player who fielded 3 LRs at 50PL vs a similar primaris list....

Yeah, running bullgryns or 2 bassies in a casual 1250 point game might have been a bit much.

IG are a bit OP these days so if yout meta prefers friendly and casual games you should arguably go out if your way to gimp yourself. My Eldar and Necron regular opponents did this with me back in 7th and it made games way more enjoyable.

IG are a bit overpowered these days (which is great in competitive environments). Case in point: I'm a mediocre tactician who lost 90% of my IG games in 6th and 75% of my IG games in 7th and now I'm winning 60 % of my IG games in 8th.

Of course if your regular opponents didn't tone their lists down for you in 7th then you are under no obligation to do so in 8th.

Took part in my first ever tournament today. Won all 3 games and the whole thing. Played 3 eternal war games from chapter approved.

Game 1 - Resupply drop, Dawn of War deployment.

Played against Space wolves and tabled them in turn 3. Didn't get first turn but Won 8-1. I controlled both objectives after randomly selecting them, got linebreaker and Warlord. This list had 2 Stormfangs and a couple of units of Wulfen. Man, Wulfen don't die easy with storm Shields. My Hellhammer only killed 1 on overwatch, 1 in combat and 2 in a degraded shooting phase.

Game 2 - Scorched Earth

Played against thousand sons. Hammer and Anvil deployment. Got first turn this time. Won 18-4 They had a Knight, can't remember the name but it's the one with a Lascutter from FW. Degraded it with shooting turn 1 and killed it turn 2. Hellhammer did a bit. It got stuck in combat for most of the game, killing a herald of tzeentch, Daemon Prince, shapeshifter thing, shot a Las predator to death and killed some horrors amd tzangors. 2 squads of Ratling snipers my MVP. Killed Ahriman turn 1 from mortal wounds alone!

Game 3 - Dominate and Destroy

Played against an Imperial soup army. Basically 3 infantry squads, Primaris psyker, cc, moo and 3 Basilisks plus 5 Grey Knight Grand Master Dreadknight. Search and destroy deployment. Deployed in such a way that the only places he could drop in were well away from my lines. Hellhammer killed 2 Dreadknight, 1 to Overwatch alone and finished 1 off after overwatch almost wiped him, 3 Basilisks and most of an infantry squad. All he had left was 1 squad with 2 guys and the guard Commander at the end of turn 2. Ran out of time and I won 15-11.

Overall really chuffed but 3 games in a day is brutal...