Today my IG (AM)....

duz_

I did feel sorry for my last opponent. A guard tank army on the next table was vying with both of us for 1st but didn't win by enough to catch either of us, so came and told us that the winner of our game wins the thing. My opponent had a full on panic attack and started making mistakes, just as it was about to swing his way. I tried to get him to take a break and told the TO what was going on,he agreed we could have a break, but my opponent didn't want to. After that, I just thought it best to finish the game quickly, rather than go for more victory points.

True. I was worried my tournament list wouldn't be strong enough, but today showed me just how strong it is. 2 squads of Ratlings and 2 scout sentinels basically means no deep striking in my half of the board. If you can get in, it's cos I've messed up or that's where I want you.

I only got first turn once, and almost tabled the thousand sons in one hit. If I had, I wouldn't have then got the victory points that I did and would have come 2nd overall.

Ideas for Praetorian Ratlings please. Just snipers with Pith helmets? Are there any posh looking Halfling models out there I can do a headswap on?

The old classic Ratlings are widely available on eBay for reasonable prices, and would work either as-is, or with the addition of pith helmet. Some examples of what they can look like here.

Of course, you can convert some regular Pretorians (or Mordians, which are cheaper and easier to get hold of) into snipers by modifying their lasguns (longer barrel, silencer, scope) and adding some suitable cloaks or backpacks. Add a suitable paint scheme, and you've got some decent proxies. Plus, if you don't like them as Ratlings, you can always break up the unit and make a couple of SWS with sniper rifles out of them instead (or stick 'em in a Vet/command squad).

Ratlings are totally underrated. For their ability to deploy more than 18" from an enemy unit, with a couple of scout sentinels, they're a 45 point sacrificial anti deep strike squad that will more than earn their points back with that ability. If they do happen to kill a character, then big bonus!

I'll have a think about what to use as them, shame they don't fill out a useful slot in a Brigade like scout sentinals, but I'm thinking I need at least 1 Hellhound anyway.

Love the Camo ratlings Inso, not quite the look I'm after but a great job none the less!

2 squads of Ratlings and a Platoon Commander in Elites, 2 scout sentinels and a Hellhound in FA is how I do it.

The problem is: what of tomorrow? :wink:

A couple of Commissars and a Tech Priest. 

My Guard only needs a few more additions, like a couple of basilisks and a second wyvern. After that it boils down to, do I keep adding to my guard, or add to my Raven Guard to cover what my IG lacks?

My Guard only needs a few more additions, like a couple of basilisks and a second wyvern. After that it boils down to, do I keep adding to my guard, or add to my Raven Guard to cover what my IG lacks?

...what your IG...lacks?

WHAT IG LACKS?!??

Clearly, you’re men lack discipline! Leadership! Necessary amounts of steel in their spines!

*heavy breathing*

I recommend three super heavies.

...what your IG...lacks?

WHAT IG LACKS?!??

Clearly, you’re men lack discipline! Leadership! Necessary amounts of steel in their spines!

*heavy breathing*

I recommend a trip to the nearest Commissar for re-education

Sounds good, I forgot you get 6 elite slots so I can still fit my Ogryns and a second Platoon Commander in.

I know Company Commanders are better in almost every way but damn it, If I'm running a company I'm only taking one commander!

My regular brigade list for 2000 is usually:

2x CC

Pask, classic LRBT configuration

4x infantry squads, GL and either ML or hb

2x Scions. HSVG in both, GL in 1, Plasma the other

2x Ratlings

Platoon Commander

Hellhound

2x Scout Sentinel

Basilisk

Russ Exterminator

HWS 2x HB, Autocannon

With a Supreme Command detachment of

3x Primaris Psykers

Hellhammer with HB sponsons

...what your IG...lacks?

WHAT IG LACKS?!??

*heavy breathing*

Perhaps I should rephrase. I am considering a request from the Astartes of the Raven Guard for reinforcements. That is to say, I require reinforcements to cover for deficiencies created by attrition due to combat losses. There is no lack of discipline, no lack in Leadership, nor do my men lack sufficient fortitude! But with Cadia in the clutches of Chaos, reinforcement seems unlikely. 

The men of the 77th have already been reinforced with a trio of Imperial Knights. Though, I suppose three Baneblades would be most welcome. 

I recommend a trip to the nearest Commissar for re-education

No time for that I'm afraid. Campaigns to plan, planets to besiege, worlds to conquer. For the glory of the Imperium!

In all seriousness though, I'm wondering if I should add ogryns or bullgryns, or if I should simply call on my RG as allies to cover my guard in close combat. That is, after adding some higher oomph artillery.

Edited by Ulrik_Ironfist

I've spent a very long time debating with myself on what my second army should be so I have a bit of variety instead of just playing Blood Angels all the time, not that I don't absolutely adore them. I've finally settled on the Guard- What better change of pace from an elite assault army with massive tactical mobility to a horde shooting army that struggles a bit to get around the table?

Truth be told I've always had a soft spot for the Imperial Guard and would have started with them as my first army if they didn't have such a high model count. I ordered the Start Collecting: Astra Millitarum box today along with the paints I'm lacking for the color scheme I want. I'm thinking I'll do the armor in Thunderhawk Blue with the fatigues in different shades of grey. I settled on that shade of blue after finding a really gorgeous Valkyrie painted in it after spending a few weeks browsing for a scheme I like.

The box should be here in a few days and I am incredibly excited to get started.