Today my IG (AM)....

duz_

It was actually a week ago or so, but I received the third sentinel I needed. My Guard can now field a full brigade. A Second wyvern, some bullgryns for CC, and 3 more infantry squads will allow me to remove my Kasrkin from my Brigade and field them in a separate battalion so I can use their Special Doctrine. 

Made plans to reinforce with:

1 Wyven

2 Bullgryn squads

1 Ratling Sniper squad

3 Infantry Squads

That should round out my guard for a while.

I've spent a very long time debating with myself on what my second army should be so I have a bit of variety instead of just playing Blood Angels all the time, not that I don't absolutely adore them. I've finally settled on the Guard- What better change of pace from an elite assault army with massive tactical mobility to a horde shooting army that struggles a bit to get around the table?

Truth be told I've always had a soft spot for the Imperial Guard and would have started with them as my first army if they didn't have such a high model count. I ordered the Start Collecting: Astra Millitarum box today along with the paints I'm lacking for the color scheme I want. I'm thinking I'll do the armor in Thunderhawk Blue with the fatigues in different shades of grey. I settled on that shade of blue after finding a really gorgeous Valkyrie painted in it after spending a few weeks browsing for a scheme I like.

The box should be here in a few days and I am incredibly excited to get started.

Welcome to the Guard :tu:

Okay, it wasn't today, it was Saturday, but my IG tabled 3 opponents in a row to win an RTT. Not bad. :smile.:

How are you running them, if I may ask? 

Impatiently waiting on 2 FW Hellhounds ATM....

Nothing special, really. A packed Brigade and 1 Supreme Command:

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) ++
Regiment: Cadian

+ HQ +
Company Commander: Chainsword, Grand Strategist, Kurov's Aquila, Laspistol, Warlord
Company Commander: Chainsword, Laspistol, Relic of Lost Cadia
Knight Commander Pask: Battle Cannon, Lascannon, Multi-meltas

+ Troops +
Infantry Squad with Lascannon - Infantry Squad
4x Infantry Squad with Mortar - Infantry Squad

Militarum Tempestus Scions
 2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun
 2x Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
 Tempestor: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

+ Elites +
Officer of the Fleet
Command Squad
 Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher
 3x Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
Platoon Commander: Chainsword, Laspistol, The Dagger of Tu'Sakh

+ Fast Attack +
3x Scout Sentinel: Multi-laser

+ Heavy Support +
Basilisk: Heavy Bolter
Cyclops Demolition Vehicle
Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter
Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon
Manticore: Heavy Bolter

+ Flyer +
Vulture Gunship: Heavy bolter, Twin Punisher Gatling Cannons

++ Supreme Command Detachment  ++
(Imperium - Astra Militarum) + HQ +
Primaris Psyker: Force Stave, Nightshroud, Psychic Barrier
Primaris Psyker: Force Stave, Nightshroud, Psychic Barrier

(Imperium - Adeptus Ministorum) + HQ +
Celestine: Celestine, 2x Geminae Superia

• 3 weeks later...

Just played a massive game against Death Guard over the weekend. I used a Macharius Vulcan, Banehammer, and Shadowsword with a conqueror, Hellhound, Bullgryn, and a bunch of basic infantry. It was a blast, I had never used multiple super heavies in one list before.

I used Voystroyan doctrines for the first time because I wanted to try out the Stratagem for +1 to hit. I must say, 42" heavy Bolters, 22" inferno cannons, 30" storm Bolters on a conqueror are actually really good, and 30" lasguns were pretty enticing! I normally play Catachans for fun but I might switch it up from time to time.

The Banehammer holding my company commanders, Commissar Yarrick, a tech priest, and Bullgryn allowed me to get +1 to the roll off and I got first turn.

Turn 1 my Macharius Vulcan used vengeance for Cadia and did 26 damage to Magnus with slightly above average rolling. And the 15 heavy stubber shots wrecked some poxwalkers. My Shadowsword did 36 damage to a knight crusader, lol. My Banehammer did 7 wounds to Mortarion and killed all but 1 of his deathshroud bodyguards. You can probably figure out how the rest of the game went.

Ah ok I did double check that Hellhound thing and must have missed that. Oops! What a shame, that would be quite nice.

It was 4000 points. So he still had a knight, 3 of those crawler mortar tanks, 2 blight drones, a mass of poxwalkers, terminators, and tons of characters left. But mortarion only moving half his characteristic and not able to advance and no warp time meant I had another full turn of shooting before he could do anything. Without Vengeance For Cadia, the Macharius Vulcan isn't going to nuke any Primarchs, though. But it will mulch heavy infantry like terminators.

Very nice!

Today I started piecing together my collection. My first pass is thus:

gallery_33656_14339_19812.png

And this is my progress from memory

gallery_33656_14339_37756.png

Green is painted and based, yellow is painted, red is built/WiP, White is (mostly) still in storage, although some white is not bought yet.

Hoping to do a snap shot on a monthly basis to track my progress

Edited by spafe

They're all from the Model Air line

• Light Grey Paint 71.050
  • Insignia White 71.279
  • RLM23 Red 71.102
  • Blue 71.004

I had just started using Army Painter brushes as I find they stand up better to resin and metal models and are half the price of GW ones if they do die ;)

Unfortunately it seem around here most shops have stop stocking them, so I'll need to find the Michael's equivalents :ermm:

I do like GW brushes, they're just too expensive and even with me trying to maintain them better I think the metal gets to them too much. 

I haven't had much experience with Army Painter paints myself

Game against the Death Guard went really really badly...

Not much to learn because the dice utterly abandoned me to such an extent the game lost some of it's fun for my opponent as well as me!

Just hilariously bad luck for me and great luck for the DG. My word they're tough though. Those disgustingly resilient rolls are a killer. Not sure what I would have done differently really. Missed the flexibility of my Scions although I have to say the Hades Drill is ace! Popped up dumping it's Veterans on an objective then smashed it's way into a Plague Crawler. Chewed most of the way through it before getting held up by zombies but even there was killing 3 or 4 a turn. Well worth it's points, just a shame you can't put anything else but the "almost Veterans" it comes with in there.

Battle cannon Russ was great as well. My Infantry squads were dire but again, 3 of them were wiped out whole by Drones with the plague flamer things. Not much to be done when the dice abandon you to that extent.

Your faith was not strong enough. Pray hard and fight even more harder next time. Hoping for luck is a herecy. Repent. Pray the Emperor to guide you through the chaos of battle and you'll be granted a glorious victory or an honorable death in His name. Either option is good enough to fight for.

• 4 weeks later...

Played a 2.5k game against some filthy mutant Heretic Astartes known as Blood Angels last night. Played a Targets of Opportunity Maelstrom of War Mission.

A1PyRhI.jpg

As you can see it was Hammer and Anvil deployment. I managed to steal first turn. My 3 cards were Big Game Hunter, Secure Objective 5 and Defend Objective 5 (handily in my deployment zone)

JHqHEuf.jpg

Held the line and held objective 5 in my first turn. Popped the Razorback with Mephiston in with the Banesword. The redemptor dread suffered from Freshly Painted Model Syndrome and was taken down to 1 wound. Scored first blood too.

Blood Angels turn 1 was now spent footslogging up the field. Mephiston and the Death Company got into my lines. Mephiston in the Centre and the DC on my right flank. The originally 20 man squad of Death company were down to 11 after my first shooting phase, made it in to my guard squad on the right flank and munched them. Used the fire on my position stratagem to take out 3 more. They piled into my Psyker, who killed one. Meanwhile, Mephiston charged my squad and Commander holding the central installation, killing 4 guardsmen who passed morale.

My turn 2 saw me drop in a squad of scions in the backfield to attempt to finish off the redemptor dread, and a squad of scions in a small gap on my right flank that closed off a pocket left by the death company in the wake of their savagery. The infantry squad around mephiston stepped back amd prepared to fire...

rkgthLg.jpg

One of my Psykers killed 6 of the 7 remaining death company with a full powered Smite, leaving one standing.

The Scions behind enemy lines failed to kill the redemptor dread, so the Basilisk finished it off. The death company dread was totalled by a Lascannon shot, and Pask's autocannons. The remaining Dearh company then proceeded to take a Heavy Bolter from Pask and the Basilisk, rapid firing Lasgun from the Heavy Weapon Squads in a ruin, 4 Lascannons and a twin heavy bolter from the Banesword and was finally slain by my vindicare assassin, which did 6 wounds to him and he still saved 4 of them with the FNP. Mephiston took all the Plasma and a Lascannon from a Plasmacutioner tank Commander, one and a half infantry squads worth of firepower amd a Heavy Weapon Squad armed with heavy bolters amd survived. So I blew him up with a quake cannon. A lot of the remaining Marines were killed by other assorted small arms and heavy bolter fire. My Hellhound charged Lemartes, who was down to 1 wound thanks to some Ratlings firing potshots at him. The Hellhound ran over Lemartes, but then Lemartes fought again, detonating the Promethium and 3 Marines nearby. At the end of my turn 2, I scored 3 points for chain of Command, 3 for supremacy and 1 for secure objective 3, which the Ratlings grabbed after shooting Lemartes. There were currently only 5 models on the table for the blog angels, an Ancient, Lieutenant and 3 devastators.

Blood Angels turn 2, and sanguinary guard, jump pack librarian and another ancient dropped in around objective 1 near my Scions on the right flank. Captain Slam dropped in to deal with my Scions in his backfield and the devastators advanced out of their ruins and onto an objective. The lieutenant and ancient moved onto the objective held by the Ratlings. Captain slam failed his charge, the sanguinary guard killed most of the Scions but failed their charge, the lieutenant and ancient murdered the Ratlings. The score was now 12-6 in my favour.

My turn 3 I drew Domination. I was currently sat on 2 objectives, but needed to haul arse. One guardsman squad made a 12" advance on to the objective held by the lieutenant and ancient, the Scions in the back moved I to the open, ready to charge the devastators and steal the objective, my half squad advanced onto an objective held by the librarian, and the lone Scion moved onto the objective held by the sanguinary guard plus the 2 I already held. The Plasmacutioner decimated the sanguinary guard squad with overcharged Plasma, and suffered a wound in return. Pask killed the ancient, Psychic killed the librarian and I got master the warp too. Vindicare assassin one shotted captain slam for Slay the Warlord, and the Scions made their charge onto the remaining objective to earn me Domination for another 6 points.

The game ended there with only 3 devastators in combat with my Scions left for the blood angels. I ran out a healthy 23-6 winner.