Today my IG (AM)....

duz_

Played against Tau for the first time post codex. It seemed like a pretty well balanced force, if not too many Kroot (he had 30 of them!)

We both had brigades. He had a Coldstar Commander with 4 fusion, Ethereal, Fireblade, Firesight Marksman, like 30 or 40 firewarriors, 10 Breachers, 2x15 Kroot with a Shaper, 2 railsides, a Skyray, a Hammerhead, Longstrike, 3 battlesuits with 6 fusion and 3 flamers, 3x4 of shield drones.

I had Straken, CC w/Laurels of Command & boltgun, CC w/Mamorph Tuskblade, Tank Commander w/classic loadout, Techpriest, 2xAstropaths (psychic barrier & Nightshroud), Ministorum Priest, 4 punchy Bullgryn w/mixed shields, 6xInfantry Squads w/3 in double heavy Bolter Chimeras, 2xArmored Sentinels w/Lascannon, Hellhound, Punisher fireball Russ, Battle Cannon Russ w/ Lascannon, and a Conqueror.

The idea behind my army build was a Recon in Force. I received a distress call and was sent out to investigate.

We played Scorched Earth and deployed in table quarters. I deployed extremely aggressively as this was a narrative mission and I didn't even know which army he was using. I deployed my entire army before he set up or told me which army he was playing. He infiltrated his Kroot into the center of the board in a line, blocking my advance & most likely hoping for first turn to tie up my Chimeras and Punisher. I had less units (thanks transports) so I got the +1 to my roll and got first turn, then he failed to seize.

I moved my Chimeras, Hellhound, Bullgryn, and foot troops straight at him. My conqueror moved up 5" behind the punisher which did the same. Everything else generally remained stationary. My TC ordered Strike & Shroud and used the Stratagem to issue it to his wingman. I also got off Nightshroud on the TC. The Bullgryn got Psychic Barrier. I then unleashed hell. FRFSRF from 2 Infantry Squads mulched a unit of Kroot. Lasgun Arrays from the Chimeras hit the other squad of Kroot. The punisher fired 40 shots into a unit of Firewarriors while it's 3 heavy flamers finished off a few more Kroot. The Hellhound lashed out at the Breachers and killed 7! Then it was time for the big guns. Between my 3 Battle Tanks and 2 Lascannon Sentinels I managed to take out the Skyray AND the Hammerhead. Then I managed to slingshot Bullgryn and 2 Chimeras into his lines by charging his couple of Kroot remaining and then piling in with my one Chimera to tie up a squad of 10 Firewarriors.

It was a far more devastating turn than I had imagined given the fact I did some mathhammer and shouldn't have been able to blow up 2 of his tanks. My dice were below average for most of my turn except on overcharging guardsman plasma guns and my damage rolls on his vehicles.

His turn saw his Coldstar Commander move to get within half range of my Punisher. His crisis suits couldn't even get within 18" of my battle tanks in my deployment zone and so had to come in on his flank to target my Chimeras. Everything withdrew from close combat. He ended up splitting his crisis fusion guns between 2 Chimeras and did no damage to the one holding the priest and Straken and managed 4 damage on the lead Chimera. Longstrike targeted the Punisher and only rolled a 2 for his damage. Then the Coldstar managed 10 damage to finish it off. He wounded a Bullgryn with his Breachers and used a Stratagem which allowed the rest of his units to wound them at +1. He then fired 60 shots at them with rerolls of 1 to hit and wounding on 3s which ended up killing a Bullgryn. Other units fired at a Chimera doing a few wounds and another unit fired at an Infantry Squad which killed 1 Guardsman. His broadsides completely whiffed their rail guns and the Bullgryn saved against their plasma.

At this point we decided to call it as my first turn was just too brutal and his dice were just too cold.

On this day, the 509th Macharian earned another battle streamer in a victory surely to be discussed by imperial tacticians for years to come!

After Action Review:

The Tau have some handy Stratagems now. I was kind of jealous of their EMP Grenade and a couple others. I ended up only using Inspired Tactics and dice rerolls.

The Taus primary AT continues to be fusion, so be wary of that 18" range.

Railguns are extremely dangerous but lack volume of fire with their BS unless they can manage marker light support or buffs from Longstrike. Hammerheads and especially Longstrike should be high on your priority list if you have any vehicles.

Taus For the Greater Good is death to Catachans charging in, so charge that Chimera in first! Then charge with impunity.

The Battle Cannon, and more so the Conqueror, continue to be consistent damage dealers.

Stacking Strike & Shroud + Nightshroud is an excellent deterrent. Provided you get first turn or your TC survives the alpha.

The Punisher Fireball Russ is the ultimate distraction Carnifex and, as Mordian Glory says: puts the voodoo on them. Everyone seems so scared of the 40 shots and 3 heavy flamers I get to reroll # of shots for. It's an effective psychological tool, but I find the Punisher Cannon to be quite poor damage wise - don't expect much offensive output if you try this out. It's also the same points as a TC, so keep that in mind.

Chimeras actually aren't bad if you intend to just dump out S4 guardsmen at things they can actually kill. Although I'd probably just rather have an additional 2 squads for the price of each Chimera (I need to paint up my last 4 squads).

Bullgryn are straight up beast mode and I think I want a couple more.

*If I can figure out how to shrink my pics to 2MB I'll upload some pictures

Edited by Colonel Cross

• 1 month later...

Wow, I'm bringing this back from extinction. 6 weeks with no guardsmen conquering the galaxy?

Last night I played a nasty nid list. 3 exocrine, 3 dakka flyrants, 2 big units of hive guard. He seized, killed 2 sentinels and a basilisk, 8 wounds on the other, 7 and 8 wounds on each wyvern. Killed 2 whole infantry squads.

Things were looking bad. Then the "indomitus rex" showed up, our knight crusader Sally forthing from my own board edge guns blazing turn 1. He immediately went to work killing nothing, while my bullgryn charged some termigants.

Up popped 2 mawlocs, my bullgryn and knight made short work of them.

My outflanking platoon commander and his unit of plasma vets brought down a exocrine but were then killed to a man by a flyrant. Except the PC, something that would later haunt my opponent.

Knight moves into position to charge the exocrine however my platoon commander beats him to the punch. Charging in from an unseen position denying the exocrine overwatch!!! Knight makes him go splat.

Then this little man does it again!!! Hopping from cover and charging in unseen against another exocrine.

Game ends with a near tabling of my opponent. I had bottom Of turn and it wasn't needed for me to play my turn. Game ended with a handshake and a trip to mcds for us both.

Edited by mertbl

Nice work Merbl!

Wheres the pics though? ;)

I really enjoy my outflanking plasma vets, especially with the Mordian order to execute characters

Rarely are my opponents amused :lol

I only post on my phone. Not smart enough to figure out pics.

Nice work Merbl!

Wheres the pics though? ;)

I really enjoy my outflanking plasma vets, especially with the Mordian order to execute characters

Rarely are my opponents amused :lol:

• 1 month later...

Nice. What parts are you magnetizing? Weapon loadouts? I just got an Avenger Strike Fighter and need to figure out how to magnetize the weapon options

I just painted up 4 battle tanks and a Hellhound that have been looming for months. Guard tanks look so incredible after washes and highlights.  I just need to add decals and do some weathering. Then it's on to painting up a couple guys for my kill team. 

I have a 3rd Valk to build and I have the FW punisher cannons so if you get any tricks you'll have to let me know. I don't like the look of the Vulture so I intend to use the Valk as either. I also have some LEDs I want to put in there! So many projects ... 

Anyway, here are a few pics of my latest updates. I'll take a group photo of the tanks soon and update. 

Finished Punisher Russ

Latest infantry

Leadership

I've never gone to this much detail before, so if anyone has any constructive criticism, feel free by all means. 

Edited by Colonel Cross

Pic 1 shows pretty good what i am struggling with myself at the moment... camo pattern on tanks. In short: try a bit more of your secondary colors and connect the splotches. Since i have something similar in my mind, what i have found may help you as well... have a look on the swedish M90 pattern. A little simplified, different colors... but that might work for you (as well?)

Pic 2 gives the impression that the highlights on armor and weapons could use a bit ... more. Zooming in shows that you actually made several highlights, but on the distance it still looks pretty plain. Suggestion: 2-3 layers with your diluted (!) highlighting color on the exposed parts (shoulders and the like). And maybe a very carefull wash for recesses.

Pic 3 looks pretty solid to me! Just two things come to my mind (and that is not much considering how much is on thar photo!)

The bases look rather boring with only static grass. I think static grass works better as a detail instead of using en masse (with the exception of representing a soccer or golf lawn...). So maybe much more sand and rubble and a few spots with grass - like you did on the left heavy bolter team on p2.

The other thing is the power sword. That could use some more ... shine. Since you say you did not do much details in the past, you could so some simple things like edge highlights and a few more layers of brighter highlights on the energy.

The sword simply is not the same level of what you have done everywhere else. So: thumbs up!

Nostromo, thank you so much for the suggestions! 

It has been very hot and dry here in Colorado, so I was definitely having difficulty with my highlights. They turned out very ... slight? They are definitely very thin.  Even with a wet palette my paint was drying up in minutes!  And yeah I intend to work on the power sword.  I have been watching tutorials to try and see what method I should try.  I have done a few power swords before and have never been happy with how they turn out. 

Anyways, here is an update on all of my painted armor and just a few guys who were on the table recently.  I think this is about 2/3rds of my vehicles/flyers.    

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/jcross87/Armored%20509th.jpg[/url]

Armored Sentinels

Finished up the Sentinels today.  Nostromo, the bases are for you, my friend! haha

And I stripped my last tank that I probably painted in 1999 or earlier.  So once I finish that up, I'll have 8 battle tanks, 2 Hellhounds, 3xChimeras, 2xTaurox, 1 Manticore, 1 Basilisk, 3x Heavy Mortars, 1 Quad Launcher, 1 Wyvern, 3xScout Sentinels, 4xArmored Sentinels, 1 Baneblade, 1 Shadowsword, and 1 Macharius Vulcan.  Bring on an Apocalypse battle, haha.

Edited by Colonel Cross

LOL

Yes, that definitely looks much better than a golf-lawn. Or... it looks like what the lawn looks like after the IG crossed it.

I am already jealous on your selection of tanks - that‘s a point i won‘t come to in this decade. My own fault - scratch building each and any single tank takes so bloody long.

2 (Basilisk & Chimera/Leman Russ) done, but still not painted (i am preparing tests for the color/camo scheme atm)

1 (Macharius) 90% done.

„Chimera/Leman Russ„ - „Stupid, that‘s 2 different tanks!“

I am not only scratch building- the design also has little in common with vanilla-IG.

So: same chassis for all tanks - like with space marine tanks

If you have a good quality primer and good coat that's dried I don't see why good need two coats?
Especially if you properly cleaned the resin to begin with
If youre concerned about paint peeling I'd make sure you wait overnight for coats to dry inbetween?

It's happened on normal plastic so I figured resin may be worse? I usually give it a full 24+ hours for the Vallejo airbrush primer to set up.

But I had a bit of an "aha!" Moment and hit them all with a thin layer of varnish before applying the stencils. That should work better than just more paint, right? Idk why I didn't think of that before.  

Edited by Colonel Cross

Today my Mordian 50th Rifles drowned the the barbaric and traitorous sons of Russ in a tide of blood and bayonets.

I decided to go back to my roots and run a pure infantry army. 3 brigades, each one with Company Commander, Lord Commissar, Astropath, Sniper Command Squad, Veterans with 3x GL and Missile Launcher, Platoon commander, 6x Infantry Squads (with a mix of autocannons, Heavy bolters, flamers, plasma and GLs) and a Lascannon HWS.

In total 252 infantry models on the board! Huzzah!

My opponent ran Njal, Wolf Captian, Jump Pack Wolf Captain, Land Raider Cusader, Big blob of wulfen. 3 squads of grey hunters. 2 squads of long fangs (lascannons and plama cannons), Dreadnaught with shield and axe and some hellblasters.

The game was big guns and the deployment was table quarters. there was a lot of LOS blocking terrain. My opponent delpoyed aggressively with his crusader full of wulfen and dreadnought. He then put all the Long Fangs and Hell blasters on one flank and all the other infantry on the other. I deployed a core of 3 veteran squads arround my warlord and then line after line of guardsmen with characters interspersed.

The wolfs got 1st turn and did some impressive damage. The crusader hosed down 3 squads by splitting its fire and killed each squad down to less then half numbers. The fangs went after my heavy weapons and killed a squad of lascannons. Other scattered casualties were caused but in total the death toll was about 30-40 infantry and the first wave was badly mauled.

In response I did something which surprised my opponent, I moved and advanced nearly every unit forward apart from the big blob of vets. I then used Forwards for the Emperor on nearly every unit and started shooting. The Raider was reduced to 7 wounds and the dreadnought to 2. I also killed 2 of the hellblasters and nearly 1 full squad of Grey Hunters. Thanks to my aggressive movement phase I was on 3 of the 4 objectives with the remnants of the first wave and the start second wave. 

The enemy now realized that I was not just going to gunline and began truely going for the objectives. All units in his army moved up with the objective in the centre being their main target. The Wulfen and Jump Wolf Chaplain came out of the Crusader. The shooting phase was similar to the last but with the Crusader being damaged the deaths were not as bad. Then the wolfen hit. They easily wiped out 2 infantry squads and the dread finished another.

At this point I had lost about 80-100 men, but that was mearly the first wave dead and the second wave badly  damaged. Now my opponent was closer and no longer hiding behind LOS blocking terrain, it was time for the guard to respond.

This time I just moved up. The 3rd and 4th waves moved up to support the 2nd and consolidate my hold on the objectives. Engaged squads pulled back slightly and formed a firing line. Nearly every squad was in rapid fire range. FRFSRF was given to every squad that could take it. In a storm of small arms fire the wolfen were killed to a man, roughly 100 lasgun shots supported by autocannons and flamers. The vets fired another 9 krak grenades and 3 krak missiles at the Raider and killed it. The dread was picked of by sniper mortal wounds. A squad of grey hunters were hosed down and then charged by 2 squads and a Lord Commissar, finishing them off.

At the end of my turn 2 the Wolfs only had 20 infantry and 2 chanters left. Facing down over 150 Guardsmen.

They made 1 last bid for victory but it was futile, and turn 3 ended the game. The 3rd and 4th waves swept over the remaining Astartes and the Guard fortified 3 of the 4 objectives. WIth only a few Long Fangs left my opponent conceeded the field of battle the IG.

ihdGKD9.jpg
j0n6itu.jpg
2ktqMfR.jpg

So much infantry I love it! :D

How long did the game take to play was it tedious moving so many models?

My favourite part of 8th is that the humble guardsmen is no longer gunned down the moment he moves from behind cover.

Not that any self respecting Mordian would ever need cover! ;)