Today my IG (AM)....

duz_

Today I won my first ever game played with IG! And holy crap I absolutely crushed my opponent...

My list:

**Cadian Regiment Battalion

Plasma Tank Commander

Company Commander with Chainsword and Plasma Pistol - Kurov's Aquila Relic and Old Grudges WLT

3 x Troops + Chainsword

2 x Astropath (Psychic, Nightshroud)

3 x Basilisk (Emperor's Artillery)

**Vostroyan Regiment Battalion

Company Commander with Chainsword and boltgun

Company Commander with Chainsword and boltgun

3 x Troops with Plasma Gun

**Cadian Regiment Supreme Command

Tank Commander Battlecanon (Hammer of Sunderance), lascanon

Tank Commander Battlecanon, lascanon

Tank Commander Battlecanon, lascanon

Techpriest enginseer

Shadowsword

His list:

3 x Knight Gallant - 1 WL with Longstrider

2 x Knight Crusader - 2 x relic guns (battle canon, gatling canon)

I tabled him by Battle Round 4, but would have won 7 VP to 4.

Basically Basilisks shooting twice plus Overlapping Fields of Fire for the russes was absolutely devastating. I killed at least one knight a turn, and managed to cripple a Gallant in a single turn of shooting with all six squads of troops with FRFSRF. I used my Old Grudges trait to target the enemy WL and plopped my WL within 6" of all four russes and all three basilisks.

The Shadowsword was utterly utterly useless and miserably pointless. After a single battle round my opponent chose to completely ignore it because it did so little. It only took 2 wounds the entire game and I think it only ever dealt about ten wounds to enemy knights after four battle rounds. Felt like 420 wasted points to be quite honest.

Edited by rcoon

Nice work rcoon! :tu:

Hrmm interesting that your Shadowsword did so little especially with +1 to hit and re-roll wounds against Titanic

Was your opponent making hot saves or you rolling particularly cold with it?

Nice work rcoon! :thumbsup:

Hrmm interesting that your Shadowsword did so little especially with +1 to hit and re-roll wounds against Titanic

Was your opponent making hot saves or you rolling particularly cold with it?

A mixture of hot saves and constantly Rotate Ion Shields every shooting phase until he ran out of CP. Whatever the Shadowsword shot at he'd rotate, so I'd use the basilisk double shoot and OFoF on another target and utterly devastate it with basilisks.

Redundancy is definitely a strength of the guard

Arguably if you didn't force him to do that with the Shadowsword target the artillery would have been less effective

Also even with a 3/4++ if you get 1 or 2 would through it still does 2D6 damage.

However you can see at the price point why others are taking IKs instead

Personally I wont be though ;)

With basilisks and the Vigilus fire twice strategem I believe this can only be used on a single basilisk not a unit of three due to the Vehicle Squadron rule right? I dont have the vigilus book on me at the moment so I dont know if theres anything which stops this being the case in the wording.

I don't think that your shadowsword was useless. Yes, he stopped it with ion shields, but rotate Ion Shields is an expensive stratagem and limits your opponents options. It might have stopped a crucial reroll or the machine spirit resurgent stratagem. The next scariest weapon in your arsenal is the basilisk. Imagine how much it would have frustrated you to target a knight with a basilisk, pop OFoF and then have him stop the remaining shots from the rest of your army with rotate ion shields. The reason I don't take mine all that much is that the shadowsword is often not sporting in a game that is less than, and often at, 2000 points.

It was foolish of him to ignore the shadowsword for 1 crucial reason. Split fire makes it dangerous to not kill. You can target up to 4 separate targets with a shadowsword having 2 sponsons and 6 with 4 sponsons. The main gun can target whatever you don't need to kill, he'll rotate ion shields to protect that knight. You're 2 sponsor lascannons can target a different Knight which can't use rotate ion shields now. The sponson twin heavy bolters can target the same or another target and so can the hull mounted twin heavy bolters. Lascannons are S9 AP-3 D6 damage weapons and are as dangerous as 2 basilisk shots as far as damage output. The shadowswords HB compliment is 18 shots of S5 AP-1 1 damage shots. That has the potential of getting a knight bracketed if they have already taken wounds. Add to all of this the shadowsword was cadian in a detachment. That allows it to use regimental doctrines and those lascannons and heavy bolters get the benefit of rerolling 1s, if you stayed still. Any of your secondary guns can get through a wound, and you now have a target with OFoF for your basilisks and tanks to exploit.

Edited by HallofStovokor

With basilisks and the Vigilus fire twice strategem I believe this can only be used on a single basilisk not a unit of three due to the Vehicle Squadron rule right? I dont have the vigilus book on me at the moment so I dont know if theres anything which stops this being the case in the wording.

Yep it can only be used on a single basilisk. I'd shoot once with two and twice with one. I'd usually get the single fire out the way so I know whether to pop OFoF or if Ion Shields is coming.

Today my IG list is being rewritten because I got a Knight Crusader last night so the men on the ground will have a big brother looking over them- base is magnetised and build starts tonight as I hope to have at least the skeleton and weapons built and painted for a game next Thursday against Deathguard.

Played a 2K game vs AdMech last night, same list as before.

His list was full of troops with the aquebus snipers (about 3 or 4 squads), plus some vanguards, 6 kastellans, 6 kataphrons, 3 dunecrawlers (2 with neutron, 1 with icarus), cawl, several dominus techpriests and several techpriest enginseers. Then he ran a squad of 8 electropriests and some kind of drop squad with electric sticks, I don't recall what they were.

Hammer and anvil deployment. He rolled to go first.

During his first turn he killed two tank commanders, 1 executioner and 1 with the relic battle canon. Aside from that he killed 1 or 2 troops and that was about it. His snipers tried taking pot shots at my HQ and failed. I used Old Grudges on the Kastellan robots with phosphor blasters, so my basilisks and two tank commanders near my WL focused them and obliterated about three of them. Three of my cadian squads sat on three objectives, and the other three charged forward on both sides of the table, FRFSRF against some electropriests and vanguard that had advanced up the table. My shadowsword shot the volcano canon at one dunecrawler and 1 shotted it, then used the twin heavy bolter to shoot down some more vanguards and snipers. He scored first blood for 1 VP, I drew some average objectives like manifest a psychic power, which I managed twice by putting Nightshroud and Psychic barrier on the Shadowsword.

Second turn he advanced more up the field, shot at two basilisks doing a couple of wounds to each, shot at the Shadowsword and another tank commander, and dealt a couple of wounds to each. He dropped his weird drop dudes near my basilisks as I had left 2 inches room on the edge of the board, and advanced his electropriests towards them and a unit of vostroyans and a CC. He successfully charged the vostroyans and the basilisk with the electropriests, as well as with his weird drop units. Overwatch killed one or two models of his. He killed the entire vostroyan squad and wiped out a basilisk, then consolidated into a second basilisk. During my turn I retreated with 1 basilisk, and advanced up the board with my remaining two vostroyan squads, shot my lonely CC and killed an electropriest, and then shot at the kataphrons with the two vostroyan squads after ordering FRFSRF, dealt about 3 wounds total. Two remaining tank commanders shot at the kataphrons and left him with only 2 remaining robots, one severely wounded. Shadowsword shot at the second duncrawler and one-shotted it, then heavy boltered some electropriests to death, leaving him with 3, but since they had killed a unit their invuln save was 3up.

Third turn he advanced more, moved electropriests and vanguard squads towards some cadians holding an objective near a basilisk. Shot his icarus array at the second basilisk and got it down to 6 wounds, then shot at my shadowsword with everything else and took it down to 12 wounds. He charged his kataphrons into my vostroyans and didn't achieve a whole lot other than killing 2 or three guard. He charged the cadians and killed them outright, took the objective I needed to defend for 2 turns, then consolidated into another basilisk. By the end of his turn he was up to 7 VP because of tactical objectives swinging his way very very well. During my turn, I forgot to retreat my vostroyans from fighting with the kataphrons, healed the shadowsword with a techpriest and used a CP to heal it within the top bracket. I spent numerous CP over the last few turns trying to draw better objectives because all of mine were appalling. By this point I only had 2 VP. I shot at some sniper squads with tank commanders, shot at some techpriests with my HBs on the remaining basilisks and shadowsword, but didn't kill them all because of that ridiculous 3up invuln save. The Shadowsword one shots the last dunecrawler and wipes out his vanguard squad that took the objective away from me.

His fourth turn he finally starts drawing crap tactical objectives, and at this stage all he has left is 2 dominus priests, 3 techpriests, cawl, and 2 kataphrons. He starts hiding units and focusing on stealing objectives. His electropriests charge and kill a basilisk and consolidate into the shadowsword and spend 3 CP to fight again and he loses 1 to overwatch. The electropriests do nothing in melee, I retaliate and the last one dies. He retreats the kataphrons. During my turn I move the shadowsword to take the objective I need to defend for two turns (and it also has the tactical objective that gives me 3 more VP if I complete it). I draw another trash objective. The vostroyans advance towards one of his objectives where a techpriest hides and I get linebreaker, the tank commanders kill the last two kataphrons and a couple of his snipers, and the shadowsword gets line of sight on a dominus and kills it outright.

Fifth turn he draws another tactical objective to take an objective that I'm trying to steal, hides as many units as possible, and does nothing during shooting and fighting phase and passes the turn, at which point he is at 11 VP. During my turn I move the vostroyans onto the objective his techpriest is sat on, but I'm not within 3". I shoot his techpriest and kill it, the tank commanders kill the remaining snipers, and the shadowsword remains on the objective I need to get for multiple VP. By the end of the fifth round he's on 11VP and I'm on 10.

We roll and the game continues to the sixth round. He hides more, but moves his units out of his deployment to get the Advance tactical objective VP and scores 1. He ends his turn on 12VP. I charge up the board with the shadowsword and kill cawl, scoring 1 VP for the WL kill. The tank commanders kill the remaining dominus, and the vostroyans kill the last techpriests, and I manage to table him by the end of turn 6. I had a Shadowsword on 14 wounds, two tank commanders on 10 wounds, 10 cadians and 7 vostroyans remaining, as well as a primaris psyker on an objective and a techpriest babysitting a tank commander.

One of the closest games I've ever played, and would have lost if it didn't go to round 6 giving me the opportunity to kill everything.

Edited by rcoon

The stuff from Anvil showed up today!

Basically, I got one ten-man squad, a 5-man Command Squad, and a Heavy Weapons Squad (with autocannons... not sure why I chose them to start with, but I made the decision so I'm going to go forward with it) and a couple small extras.

http://i65.tinypic.com/35m2mph.jpg

I also have some other IG/AM stuff to go with them: a really old Leman Russ, a Sentinel, some Ogryns, some Ratlings, and some Commissars.

This will be, of course, just the start of the new army.

Still wrestling with the name, though.

So far, the one I'm most compelled to go with is the 1st Concordian Rifles.

Again, several hours without visible progress.

I have begun assembly of the first 50 infantrists.

10 men of the liberation force marines corps, 30 Heimatverteidigung troopers and parts of the HV command squad.

Aaaand, with a Long-term goal on building a certain kind of flyer much later, I have found and used three heads as an hommage to... something different. Such a shame that head number 4 doesn’t fit on the models, so maybe I won‘t get the fourth character, or I might need a different approach. Expect photos.

As for the tanks... I have run out of decals and turned back to freehands. Looks not really good, but definitely not orky, so maybe sufficient.

Again... photos in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck, those minis are hardly flexible in terms of positions...

Anyway, the first squad of the (Utgardian) Liberation Forces

med_gallery_20618_14115_336999.jpeg

Now let’s see who guesses (or remembers) which characters the three ones without helmet are supposed to remind of. Alas,character #4 is missing

My army gained a special veteran squad, Colonel Straken and five (out of ten) new veterans. Also, the allied detachment gained three proxy Centurions (converted from Ambots) :smile.: .

VTZTpVA.jpg

I am hoping to finish converting the remaining five veterans to complete a Vanguard detachment (Straken and three Veteran Squads), very soon :smile.: .

Edited by Inso

We (Cadians, Deathwatch and Custodes) took to the field of battle and cleared it of vile chaos scum. Defeating Ahriman, his demon princes and a putrid battalion from Nurgle's gut. The artillery from the Emperor's Wrath Company was on point, the wyvern being an especially nasty death dealer.

I look some 60ish guardsmen, and 4 assassins, to a 50 PL event yesterday and managed, barely, to take first. Honestly, my guard did very well, save for my lascannons in game 3 :censored: but what impressed me about my IG the most were by two squads of ratlings. Across three games, they claimed:

* 6 skitarri

* 4 wounds to Magnus, the Red

* An exalted sorcerer

* Weird Boy

* About 15 gretchin

* 6 Lootas

Considering they're just 10 small fries with rifles, I'm quite pleased.