TALE - The Second Son (Rough Draft)

simison

Chapter 2: Growing Family

Adalbard took a moment to knock on the prefab facility's main entrance. Surprise awaited him when he heard no answer, even though his summons had proscribed the very minute had had arrived at. It was not like Alexandros to waste his time or to make a fool of others for his amusement. He hesitated before he stepped inside.

Designed to be a temporary housing unit for a Primarch, it was a surreal experience for the morale officer, who towered over mortals, to walk into a building where the furniture towered over him. The walls were filled with dozens of sketches, both of technical plans and artistic ones. Tables lined beneath them, holding an academy's diversity of items and relics dedicated to all areas of learning. Over there, a dataslate on Ork physiology. Over here, a political treatise dated to the 23rd millennium. It was as though his gene-father was trying to absorb all the knowledge the Imperium could offer in the span of days. 

Upon entering the main room, he found Alexandros sitting across from anther one of his sons. Gaius Horatius had been a brilliant battle-psyker who had been struck with an intense form of catatonia. Requiring daily injections to satisfy his nutrient intake, the marine sat at one end of a small table, sized for an Astartes. Alexandros sat in a chair for his size, his hands clasped together in a gesture that Adalbard found uncomfortably close to prayer with his eyes closed. Recognizing his Primarch's preferred pose for his mental excursions, Adalbard waited and watched.

With deep, slow breaths, Alexandros maintained his posture for a few moments before opening his eyes. The giant smiled as Gaius followed. The codicer gasped as his head snapped back and forth, absorbing his new reality. Jerky movements came to a halt as he focused on his gene-father. "You-you saved me."

Alexandros shrugged. "I merely showed you the way back home." He stood and took a step closer to the space marine before laying a hand on his shoulder. "Welcome back, my son."

The sandy-haired marine nodded as he muttered, "I am forever in your debt, my lord. What can I do to repay you?"

"For now, go and rest. You have been separated from us for several years. Take this day to catch up, then report back to me when you are finished. Is that fair?"

With a vigorous nod, Gaius rose from his seat. "More than fair, my lord. I will attend to this task now." The psyker hurried out, forgetting to pay proper respects to the Master of Chaplains.

"That was the eighteenth one, my lord," Adalbard noted as he approached Alexandros. "Are you any closer to discovering the root cause?"

With hesitance, Alexandros nodded, his deep purple duty robes settling over him as he re-seated himself. "I have a...suspicion. If I am right, I will only need a little more time to confirm it. If I am wrong, then I truly will need to ask for my Father's insight." He reached for a large bottle of amasec, which alerted the Storm Rider to the two prepared glasses on the table. "I'm sorry I wasn't finished sooner, Adalbard. Gaius' illness was deeper than I expected."

"You need not apologize to me, lord," Adalbard replied as he took Gaius seat, careful not to sit too hard lest his black armor crush the oaken chair. "Every brother returned to us is a celebration and strengthens your reputation among the legion."

Edited by simison

Am I the only one now envisioning Alexandros drinking from a mug with "No.1 Dad" written on it? Seriously, I don't know if Father's Day still exists in the 31st Millenium but Alex is getting aaallllll the fancy ties, novelty mugs and golf clubs if it does. :)

EDIT: Load spellcheck rounds, typo sighted.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

"I appreciate that, my son, and I long for the day to take my place at the head of the legion. If for nothing else," Alexandros added with a wry smile as his hand swept over his messy abode. "I'm running out of things to learn, and it takes far too long for my sons to come here straight from the war front." He took a sip as he paused. "What about yourself, Adalbard? Have you taken my advice to heart?"

After settling his helmet on the table, Adalbard nodded as he reached for his glass. "I have, though I admit it was... strange. I'm used to monitoring psychological health and wielding my maul in service to the Emperor. Not choosing a hobby."

"I suspect it may be more necessary than you might think," Alexandros said in a half-whisper before continuing at a normal volume, his smile broadening. "What did you choose?"

With a gulp, Adalbard downed the fine liquid. "I decided on something practical. I've been studying our various air support units with an emphasis on learning their controls. I don't expect I'll ever be a combat pilot, but if the need should ever arise, I'll have more than the hypnotic training to rely on." He paused as he looked up to his gene-father. "Does this satisfy you?"

"It does," Alexandros assured him. "Any particular reason for your choice other than the practicality?"

Adalbard frowned as he felt old, old memories shift within his mind. "I think it was a desire of mine. Before I became what I am. Flying through the air appeals to...something deep within me, Alex, though I can barely remember the time."

Alex's grin widened as he listened. "Excellent. Don't ever ignore that part of yourself. Though it may never serve you in battle, it is as important to who you are." He opened his mouth to continue when his head snapped toward a wall.

Surprised and subconsciously mirroring his gene-father, Adalbard asked, "What is it, my lord?"

"My father is summoning me," Alex replied, his eyes unfocused. He blinked and turned his attention back to Adalbard. "Correction, He will summon me three hours from now."

The breadth of Alexandros' talents had been a point of discussion between Adalbard and the other chosen members of Alex's retinue. It did not take long before word had spread that in addition to his natural, extensive physical capabilities as a primarch that he was also a psyker. It had been a surprise to them. Most psykers tended to exhibit either a solemn or esoteric personality because of their powers, much like how Icarion was renowned for his grace and quiet dignity. Alex, on the other hand, was rarely without a smile and filled with life. While freely admitting his status as a psyker, Alexandros hadn't explained his capabilities in detail yet, and his sons were too respectful to press the issue.

"You can see the future, my lord?" Adalbard tentatively inquired, reasoning that as Alex had already demonstrated his telepathy and made that known, perhaps it was fair to ask of this new power.

"To a degree," Alex replied with a chuckle. "It's more frustrating than most understand. Because in one sense there is only one future. But, in another sense, there's a nigh-infinite amount of futures. I can see all of the possible futures, and most of the time, I see the future that will come to pass. It's not like what the common man believes that all I have to do is close my eyes, and I'll be able to predict exactly what they'll be doing a year from now." 

"How far into the future can you see, my lord?" Adalbard paused as he remembered. "Did you not foresee yourself taking longer than necessary to aid Brother Gaius and should have informed me to come at a later time? I mean no disrespect, my lord, I'm just unsure."

Alex chuckled. "Just because I can see into the future does not mean I always do. I have gone days without peering forward. Sometimes, weeks. As for how far my sight extends, the technical answer to your question is centuries. Perhaps millennia. It would take a few hours of intense meditation, but I could do it. Of course, I never would chose to do so. The future I'd be seeing would rest on a foundation so weak that all it would take is a single whim to render it pointless. I prefer keeping my focus much more narrow and accurate. Father disagrees with me on this. He thinks I'd benefit more if I cast my nets further out."

It was strange to hear his gene-sire refer to the Emperor so casually for Adalbard. He wondered how formal their relationship was in person and doubted he'd ever get the chance to see it. "How far do you typically look ahead?"

"In peace, it varies. Sometimes days. Sometimes weeks. Rarely do I look full months ahead. In war, I go as far as I can to deduce when it is likely for a campaign to end and then focus on staying at least a fortnight ahead of my enemies. It was by far my most powerful tool against the fallen Eldar that raided my planet."

Adalbard pondered Alexandros' words. "Are you divining the future right now, my lord?"

A shake of the head was his answer. "No, that would be rude of me, though I can see why you think I was. Particularly important or powerful events often reach out to me even when I am not actively scanning the temporal horizon. I realized my Father was coming for me four days before the event during a long-winded debate in the Senate. Thankfully, the Senate's attention was focused elsewhere for it was quite a shock to suddenly know that your missing Father, one of, if not the most powerful being in the galaxy is about to stop by to radically change your life. So far, it has been the most momentous occasion to ever alert me. Usually the passive warnings are far close to the actual event," Alex finished as one finger subconsciously twirled a hair.

"Do you wish to prepare for your meeting?" Adalbard asked as he passed the dataslate that had brought him here.

"If you don't mind," Alex replied as he reached for the dataslate. He glanced over the details, which explained the next son he'd be healing. "Thank you for delivering this to me and for the chat. We'll be working closely together in the days after I assume command of the legion. I'll have some new duties that the for the Corps will be needed for."

Adalbard saluted. "We will be honored to serve you and the legion, my lord."

Alexandros chuckled. "You can call me Alex."

"I'm sorry, but it is too informal for it to be comfortable. Unless you wish to make it an order."

"No, that would spoil the purpose of calling me Alex in the first place. Farewell, Adalbard. I look forward to our next conversation."

After Adalbard's departure, Alexandros left as well. Outside of his new home, he walked on a path that cut between nineteen other pre-fab buildings, each one the proper size to house a primarch. Only one other was active as the bitter smell of mjod wafted from it. Alex smiled as he passed it, no doubt that Leman was going to insist on another night of drinking to make up for his latest defeat in the training hall. Although Alex was visiting only for a week, the Great Wolf never let a day pass without another chance to defeat his 'older' brother in the dueling ring. 

Alex blinked before he gingerly returned to the present. It was the fifth time he had accidentally moved his view into the future. This planet is rich in the Warp, especially the Astronomicon. Or is this another one of Father's subtle lessons? How far did I see this time? It felt much longer than last time. He closed his eyes and pictured the vision before comparing it to the current landscape. The size of the trees between then and now provided the greatest clue, hinting at a decade or two. Making sure he was anchored in the present, Alex continued walking.

Besides his temporary home, none of the other buildings had seen use. The Emperor had instructed Icarion without returning to Terra. It had sufficed because there was no guarantee that any of the Primarchs would've been found, and then so much time had passed between their founding. That had changed with Alexandros' discovery, which suggested that the twenty would be recovered in due time. In reaction, the Emperor had decided it necessary to bring his sons to Humanity's birthplace to enhance their learning with the shorter time that would be available to him. I do wonder how long Father can avoid the Great Crusade if more of my brothers are discovered at the same time.

Leaving the area, he wandered through the Imperial palace greeting people as he meandered toward another, more restricted portion of the Imperial Palace. His last conversation was with an remembrancer's aide, who had complained how the Great Crusade was generating barely enough paperwork to make it nigh-impossible for them to continue chronicling it from Terra, especially since they had to rely on short and sometimes old reports that filtered back to the homeworld from the various expeditionary fleets. Alexandros had offered a sympathetic ear before swearing that his legion would be more attentive to the cause of history. His support had earned him a smile and a thank you from the young woman before he departed for his true destination.

Alex's path led him to a small garden. In front of the entrance stood a single golden guard who was speaking into his vox. With a grin, Alex said, "Good afternoon, Valdor. You may cancel that last order since I've already arrived."

The Captain-General glared up at him before giving the counter order. Then, he stepped to the side. "My lord," he replied with forced courtesy. "The Emperor awaits."

"Thank you," Alex said as he entered. The musky scent of the Amazon greeted him as he walked through tropical plants, careful not to disturb anything. For all he knew, these might be the last specimens remaining on Terra. A glass door at the back of the conservatory took him out of the tiny rainforest and onto a small balcony.

The Emperor's gaze watched over the Annapurna Gate, the massive gate made small by distance. Next to him was a table holding a half-finished game of Regicide with all of the pieces hidden beneath hoods. Another chair large enough for a primarch waited for Alex.

"Are you remembering Babylon again, Father? Can you see the Hanging Gardens?"

The Emperor shook his head. "Paris, standing on the Eiffel Tower overlooking the Arc de Triomphe."

"I would've guessed the tower to be against your tastes."

A smile briefly flickered over the Emperor's face. "You would be correct. Such a vulgar building to be declared a national treasure. Napoleon had the right of it." His brown eyes turned on Alex.

Of course, his eyes weren't really brown. One of the few surprises that awaited Alex on Terra was his father's talent for changing his form. When it was just father and son, the Emperor would relieve himself of his bright, golden persona for a plainer one though with an unmistakable hint of great power. And always a head taller than Alex.

The Emperor gestured to the chair across from him. "Have a seat, my son. This will be my last lesson to you on Terra."

"I know," Alex replied as he studied the board in earnest while taking his seat.

Since the pieces were hooded, there was little to tell. The biggest item of note was the arrangement if pieces. Dividing the board in half left a small force on Alex's side and one that doubled it on the other.

"You may remove the hoods from the pieces on your side of the board, however from this point onward, you may only interact with your pieces through telekinesis."

That was a surprise. While Alex had foreseen the game taking place, the Emperor had quickly forbidden him from seeing any further. Alex lifted his hand, and the hoods gently flew off their owners before drifting and landing next to the board in a folded pile.

"Without using physical gestures," the Emperor amended. "There will be a time and place for theatrics on the battlefield, but the surest sign of a psyker's self-discipline is by how much he can accomplish while remaining still."

A nod was Alex's reply, but his focus was on his 'army'. No pawns as his pieces formed a protective shield around his king. He glanced at his opponent.

"You'll discover it is a rare campaign where you will outnumber your enemy. Nor will you always have access to reliable intelligence." A hooded piece advanced a single space toward Alex's army. "Your move."

Only a single move, but that was no guarantee that the piece was a pawn. For all Alex knew, he was against an army of queens that was merely toying with him. Unlikely, but he couldn't discount the possibility as he moved a knight away from the enemy, moving it to a safer spot on his left flank as he attempted to peer into the future. With a grunt, he hit a wall of psychic might that dwarfed his own. Father is going all-out, he thought to himself as the Emperor advanced a second piece, this time on his right flank.

"There are records of creatures that have no connection to the Warp," the Emperor explained as he waited. "Genetic manipulation was widely available during the Age of Technology. Who is to say that no man has created an army of nulls?"

"I imagine the processes to create such an army would have to forgo physical enhancements and would still be no match for a space marine," Alex countered as he positioned a rook in front of his king, while his mind began to 'scout' the wall before him. Even the Emperor wasn't perfect.

The first piece advanced again, placing itself directly before a bishop. Silent, the hood floated off, revealing a pawn. "Perhaps so, but a wise commander will never make an unnecessary assumption."

Alexandros avoided the temptation to simply kill the pawn as he finished forming his defenses. The Emperor steadily advanced his forces, more hoods falling away as pawns reached Alex's forces. First blood went to one of the primarch's bishops after one pawn strayed too far from the pack. Another pawn fell in a couple of more turns, but at the price of a knight when the Emperor revealed a rook of his own. "Your flagship is ready," the Emperor explained as he moved the dead knight off the board. "Have you chosen a name for it?"

"The Elpis," Alex replied as he countered with his king, which personally slew the rook next to it. Three enemy kills for one meant Alex would lose via attrition.

The Emperor quirked an eyebrow. "You would name a battleship 'Hope'?" Another hooded piece advanced, moving three spaces than one before revealing itself as an enemy knight. "Check."

"I think it fitting. For is that not what the Great Crusade is? We fight for the hope of a better tomorrow." Alex moved his king before quickly chasing away the enemy knight, while the Emperor moved a phalanx of pieces on his right flank. One pawn was getting dangerously close to his side of the board.

"There is truth in what you say," the Emperor agreed as his pawn met death via rook. Another moved through the new hole in Alex's lines and was only a single space away from the edge.

The dangerous pawn died to a knight before being avenged by a rook. Alexandros switched tactics to offensive to overcome the numbers gap. Five dead pieces later, the odds were coming back to his favor, but was still vulnerable. Only five enemy pieces remained hooded, but three of them were in position to wreck his center if they weren't pawns or knights.

"I've noticed you are struggling with my lessons," the Emperor said as he waited.

"A few," Alexandros confessed. "Two in particular. I've noticed the Imperium's arsenal contains weapons fitted to destroy planets." He advanced a pawn toward one of the hooded pieces.

A different pawn of the Emperor moved, a distraction. "A necessity. There are enemies among the stars who will plague us unless we ensure their annihilation."

Alex's pawn continued forward, ready to strike. "I understand the need for powerful ordnance, but planet-killers? As slow as a planet life cycle is, they may as well be a finite resource. What enemy could we face that would require such destruction?"

The Emperor revealed his remaining rook before moving it to safety and catching Alex's queen between it and the earlier pawn. "I am not blind to the laws of the galaxy. These weapons will always be used in last resort. However, make no mistake Alex, you will face enemies who can't be swayed with words and will entrench themselves so deeply into their home world, that oblivion will become an option out of need. You must be ready for this possibility."

Alex's knight sacrificed itself to protect his exposed queen, defeating the rook only to fall prey to another pawn. "Very well, Father. I will be prepared."

"What is your other difficulty?"

Edited by simison

If it isn't already apparent, I do really enjoy your writing style.

The pieces flow really nicely and has just the right amount of interesting detail to keep my attention for the entirety of the little snippets and have me looking forward to the next part.

I hope you've submitted stuff for BL when they asked for writers

With two hooded pieces remaining, the Emperor outnumbered Alex's forces, which had been reduced to his king, queen, two bishops, and a lone knight. "One of the aspects of the Imperial Creed. I don't know why you're insisting on the destruction of religion."

The Emperor paused, Alex abruptly found the mental opening he needed. Gathering his strength, he punched through the weakened barrier and threw himself into the remaining number of alternate realities for this game. Defeat had already met him in countless other games and before he could find the one where he won, the Emperor's defenses reconstructed before tossing him back into the present. Alex's body twitched as his mind landed in it, but it had been worth it. The two hooded pieces were a knight and a pawn, which meant that the Emperor had played with three more pawns instead of bishops and queen.

"It is for the best, my son," the Emperor continued after removing the last two hoods. "Religion causes more destruction than it is worth."

"Yet, the Adeptus Mechanicum continues with its theocracy," Alex countered, noting how effectively pinned his army was by the Emperor's remaining pawns. With a small grimace, he began the end-game, his bishop moving through the Emperor's flank. "I agree that some religions should be eradicated, but the Imperial Truth claims all religions deserving such treatment. Not only have you failed to follow through your own creed, but you eliminate any potentially beneficial beliefs along with the corrupted."

The Emperor ignored the bishop as he trapped Alex's queen. "A diplomatic necessity that will not survive the end of the Great Crusade. Religion divides humanity and weakens us. I know you value the power of unity. Is that not why you brought an end to the meaningless factions of Delos?"

Alex frowned as his queen slew the first pawn only to die to the second. His knight rushed through the gap. "Check. I'm well aware that our capabilities as a species is magnified by pooling our efforts and am not denying the truth of it. I am denying you're claim that religion offers nothing to Humanity. Why not mirror the ancient Roman Empire? Allow any religion that does not threaten the peace?"

"The Roman Empire included an imperial cult, and I refused to be deified," the Emperor countered as his last knight moved to protect his king.

"Which is your prerogative," Alex said as he weighed his tactics. Victory stood distant from him. "Though, you must admit, the sheer power you wield puts you above many of the ancient divinities. There will be people who will see you as a god, no matter your desire." He began his final charge.

"Our survival as a species requires we abandon superstition." A pawn made it to the edge of Alex's side and transformed into a queen.

Another retort was on the way when Alex noticed something. The game forgotten as he peered at the Emperor, his mind analyzing the nuances of his last statement, catching something hidden deeper. "...why? Why is that the only way?"

The game momentarily forgotten as the Emperor met his son's stare. "There are enemies out there that threaten us. Enemies of great power who would manipulate the weakest of us to ensure our own destruction."

A bishop idly ended the Emperor's last knight. "Yet, with my brothers and the legions, what enemy could pose a threat to us?" Alex thought he saw something in the Emperor's eyes. An unreadable emotion that seemed to have shades of something no doubt the Emperor was freed of: fear. "You...you're not speaking generally. There is an enemy you're thinking of."

"Your gifts of perception are great, my son, however," the Emperor said as his new queen killed the flanking bishop. His eyes hardened. "Not all knowledge is good."

Alex buckled beneath the weight of the words as they were amplified by psychic power. The message clear. "Very well, Father. Check." King faced king with only a single space between them.

"Mate," the Emperor finished as a second pawn became a queen, finishing the snare Alex had seen in two other games.

Alexandros scanned the field. He decided not to comment on the lack of bishops' on his Father's side and phrased his question differently. "You played with two more pawns?"

"It will be the rare enemy who will match you in strength of force," The Emperor replied. "Though they might wield a few powerful war machines, your common enemy will have no choice but to use large amounts of lesser infantry and attempt to drown you in bodies. A less sophisticated strategy, but even Astartes have their limits." The door opened as Valdor stepped out. Behind him, a servitor pushed a large metal chest onto the balcony. Alexandros quirked an eyebrow at the Emperor. "As I said, this was your last lesson. It is time for you to take your place in the Great Crusade. These are your parting gifts."

Edited by simison

Valdor keyed a few runes before the seals unlocked. Slowly, the chest's hatch opened as Alexandros walked over. Within the container, he found expertly-wrought purple armor waiting for him. At the head of the armor was a helmet, made in the style of the ancient Corinthians, yet this one could seal against the vacuum of space. A crest of red 'hair' divided the helmet into left and right halves. Next to the armor was a short sword and a round shield, large enough to cover most of a primarch. Alexandros carefully lifted the armor, and a bright red cape unfurled from the shoulders. He glanced back at the Emperor with a smile.

"A human general fulfills his duty best at a safe distance from the front lines. We are meant to lead humanity from the fore, and require enough protection of ourselves yet must be always be visible on the field of battle." The Emperor stood. "This armor will do more than shield you from physical attacks. Within both the helmet and pauldrons are focusing crystals from Aklantisiana that will allow you greater finesse in controlling your powers and eases your ability to defend others from warpcraft. You have mastered shielding your honor guard from enemy psykers. With this, you'll be able to shield far more of your soldiers."

"A kingly gift, Father," Alexandros affirmed as his fingers traveled over the pauldrons, sensing the crystals. "I mean no offense, Father, but I'm surprised how bare it is, compared to my brothers."

"It mirrors the legion you will lead. Each legion may have a preference for one area of war, but they were created from the same process that granted them their grey armor. As Icarion has molded his legion to his taste, so will you. Including what symbols your armor bears."

Alexandros studied the armor, imagining the possible symbols and crests he could engrave into it. After a moment, he replaced it in the chest before reaching for the power sword and shield. They were heavier than he expected, weighed down by generators within themselves, but light enough to wield comfortably in battle. He twirled the sword between his fingers before clanging it against the shield. Both vibrated as he tested their balance. 

"The power field within the sword will enable you to cut through any armor. The generator in the shield will protect you from most weapons, be it slugs or a salvo from a lascannon," the Emperor briefly explained. "Remember, these tools will reach their full potential when you wield them in conjunction with your psychic gifts. Channeling your psychic might through the sword will allow you to end most foes in a single blow. The shield may only face direction, but what will that matter if you always know which way the attack will come from?"

"Indeed, when will I have the chance to wield them?"

"Within the week. I mentioned that this was your final lesson. In twenty-four hours, we depart from Terra. Your command ship," the Emperor paused, "the Elpis, has entered into Terran orbit. I suggest you allow yourself at least twelve hours for ceremony and inspection. Finally, I recommend you choose a ranged weapon to carry into battle. While our level technology makes melee possible, there's little reason to hamper yourself by not having some form of ballistic weaponry. That choice, I leave entirely to your discretion."

Edited by simison

Horus exists? Leman was found before Alex? No mention of Icarion?

Wait, what? 

*scans post*

Crap! I thought I cleaned it!

Fixed!

Edited by simison

Hum, to be honest, it doesn't feel like the Emperor do go about giving Alexandros his armour in person - for me, the Emperor is faaar more aloof, and only speaks in bold. :P

The Second Son is turning out well, but I fear you may be making the Emperor too familiar. The Chessgame with his son may be okay, as it is as much a lesson as a test. Taking the time out of his day to give presents and explain how they work?

I'd much rather see a master armourer of the Terrawatt clans, or something of that style - it wouldn't detract from the Emperor's majesty as much, and would make more sense for the guy who actually knows this stuff to demonstrate it to Alex. Even Valdor would make more sense then the Emperor to be perfectly frank.

A few ideas buzzed around Alex's mind as he considered his reserve weapon. "Who will I be warring against?"

"The XXth legion has discovered the Webway entrance that the xeno pirate fleet uses to raid your home system. Your objective will be to eliminate the Webway portal and annihilate the xeno forces."

Old Memories of Delian battles asserted themselves as Alex remembered the foes that had given him the necessary cause to unite the planet. With a bloodthirsty grin, he said, "I'm looking forward to this."

"I will be joining you," the Emperor replied. "Only as an adviser. You will be chief-in-command for this campaign. From overall strategy to battle tactics, it will be your vision, and your execution. Prove yourself to the Imperium and to your legion that you are ready for the Great Crusade."

What should have been a daunting task filled Alexandros with excitement as his mind jumped ahead to logistical issues. He paused as he forced himself back in the present. "I will not fail you, Father."

The Emperor smiled. "I know you won't, Alex." He gestured to the conservatory's door. "You have much work ahead of you, you have my leave to begin."

Alexandros bowed before the Emperor before he walked toward his destiny.