TALE - The Second Son (Rough Draft)

simison

And ruin the surprise?

Pfft, fine fine, I'll let him learn for himself. ;)
Are you aware how much lore you've all made?! I need 2 days just to sift through it all :p
Well then you'd best get started helter! :D

I swear to the big E if Icarion destroys the garden I will come for you all

Just wait 'til you find out what happened when Nostromo was rediscovered... :wink:

You're not nice...

tumblr_mambrlSfZZ1qgciy4o1_500.gif

It's part of my charm. :D ;)

Just wait 'til you see the Siege of Terra....

Hey, you haven't seen the bit I've written already. I advise you all to stockpile hankies.

And Kozja was very selective with his merciless justice.

Edited by bluntblade

"I haven't," Icarion said. "While I know some of the basic principles that guide the art of telepathy, I've never pursued any of the more advanced techniques."

"Ah, you don't know what you're missing. You see..." Alexandros trailed off. "Actually, I could show you, if you're willing." 

Icarion glanced at the Delian sun. While the day was late, the Primarch estimated that sunset was still an hour or two away. "I do not wish to be rude, but I have duties I must return to before long."

"No, no," Alexandros quickly explained as he shook a hand. "I understand that we're nearing the limit of our time together today. No, I meant, I can show you my memory of it. As though you were there yourself."

There was a moment of hesitation before Icarion nodded. "As you wish."

Alex grinned before suggesting, "It might be easier if you closed your eyes. Less of an abrupt transition that way."

Another pause before Icarion complied. The world changed. The soft sounds of a garden were replaced by the distant sounds of the city. The warmth of the afternoon sun was gone as a chill was carried by strong winds. Icarion opened his eyes and saw an evening sky greeting him. Next to him was Alex who was watching him, amused, as the pair stood on the edge of his mansion's roof. Glancing behind him, Icarion was surprised to see a second Alex, who did not notice either himself or his duplicate, dressed in casual sleepwear. The other Alex was walking towards them before stopping a foot away, his eyes fixated on the city with a smile.

"You settled?" The current Alex asked.

"I believe so," Icarion murmured. "When is this?" 

"A few weeks ago before the first of my visions of our father." Current Alex pointed toward the city. "Watch."

Icarion turned his full attention toward the city. As any city in twilight, artificial light had filled the void after the last rays of sunlight disappeared beneath the horizon. Despite being a typical city of mid-level technology, no smog threatened to obscure sight of it. Vehicles traveled along the roads, offering their own small lights to the cityscape. 

For a moment, Icarion thought his eyes failed him. As he watched, the lights grew brighter and morphed into different colors. The roads became veins of red and light blue. The skyscrapers reflected bronze and vermilion. By far, the most colorful were, what Icarion assumed, were the city's dormitories. They were rainbows emanating from these buildings, but when Icarion focused, he saw that there was a subtle domination of light greens. 

Alex answered the unspoken question without prompting. "To me, light green is the color of excitement. Or, at least, that's the color I see when I see someone excited. Salim is a new city. Most of the people here feel like they are a part of something new. Something that is bigger than them. That they're on the edge of something new and powerful. The city was like this even before I began dropping hints that the Emperor was coming."

"Now," Alex began, "here comes the main event."

For a moment, nothing happened. Then, the dormitories exploded with even more color as shades split further into lighter and darker iterations, briefly intertwined to create a stunning sight. These tornadoes of auras engulfed entire neighborhoods as Icarion watched. Almost as quickly as it had come, the cornucopia of colors subsided, yet grew more wild as the spectrum bounced between different hues.

Alex happily sighed. "Normally, a human being uses only one hemisphere of their brain during the day, alternating between the logic and the creative given whatever task they're on. But, for a few moments before a person falls asleep, both hemispheres are active, creating some truly incredible sights to my eyes."

"Were only I an artist capable of capturing such beauty," Icarion murmured.

With a wave and a chuckle, Alex dissolved the scene before them, returning them to the garden. "Perhaps that's why I serve humanity so diligently. To indulge in the wonderful sights they offer to me." 

"If only more men were as 'selfish' as you," Icarion said with a wry smile. 

Alex's grin grew wider. "I appreciate the thought." He glanced at the sky of today, and his grin shortened. "Ah, I suppose we are out of time. My how quickly it can travel when one wishes otherwise."

Icarion nodded. "True words, but only for this day. You'll soon see. The Great Crusade may become your primary mission, but our Father allows quite a bit of leeway when it comes to personal execution of the war. There will be campaigns where we will fight side-by-side, times we can reserve for leisure, and, eventually, the Great Crusade will end. Then we, and our other lost brothers, will have all the time we desire to learn about one another."

"Then let us return, so we can bring that happy day closer!" Alexandros declared before leading Icarion back to the mansion.

Chapter 1: Home Away From Home

Alexandros stood on the bridge, studying Delos from orbit, savoring the occasion. 

"My lord?"

Ah, yes, I suppose I have to get used to hearing my new title, he thought to himself as he regarded Captain Thoren Bosowski. Technically, Alexandros' rank as High Lord of the V Legion superseded Thoren's rank, but Alexandros had reassured the man that as a newcomer to the Imperium he valued the Captain's knowledge and experience. "Yes, Captain?" He replied with a warm smile.

Standing at two meters even, Captain Bosowski cut a lean figure, a side effect to have living all of his life on starships. He shifted uneasily as Alexandros regarded him. "Are you prepared, my lord?"

After being in the presence of Icarion, Alexandros had momentarily forgotten that he exuded his own natural aura on people. Both he and Icarion  had radiated command and power, but it was different in subtle ways. It was especially interesting because Alexandros couldn't decipher the unique qualities of Icarion's aura. It was something so far yet always on the tip of his tongue.On the other hand, Alexandros had been told (and read minds) that he exuded an aura of tranquil benevolence. Despite whatever struggles hunted them in their daily lives, people would forget them when around him. Originally, Alexandros thought people naturally trusted him because of the nature of his breed. After meeting his brother, he now knew that his aura was his alone. 

From his physical manners, the Primarch could tell that Theron wasn't wholly at ease with this effect. "I am, thank you for asking."

Before their conversation continued, a familiar face entered the bridge. Alexandros gave a bright smile to Pyrrhicles as the man marched over to where he, Theron, and Irvin stood. "Come to bid your farewell?" the Primarch inquired. 

The native had been Alexandros' third in command of the Delian Army. Matching his rank, Pyrrhicles was an older gentleman, easing into his fifties. Short, grey hair held strong against balding, while experienced blue eyes surveyed the unfamiliar bridge. He was tall for a human and broad-shouldered, wearing simple off-duty robes. Pyrrhicles glanced at him and at the viewport. Currently, it was locked on Delos. "Yes, my lord. It's a harder price than I originally thought it would be." 

"A small price for the honor you are being shown," Irvin countered from the other side of Alexandros. 

Upon his announcement that he would be leaving Delos and joining his Father on the Great Crusade, the people of Delos had reacted with a general mixture of pride and grief. They would be losing the giant who had united and protected them, but any glory won by him would be glory for Delos. All knew he would shine like a bright star in the Great Crusade. Still, others had voiced different opinions and thoughts. Many Delian soldiers wished to fight on with him and the Imperial Army was soon to receive a large influx of personnel.

Yet, Pyrrhicles hadn't been satisfied with becoming a member of the Imperial Army. No, he desired nothing less then to continue serving his Command-in-Chief by his side as a legionnaire. While his past records of military skill and experience was exceptional, simple old age proved it impossible for him to become a true Astartes. With the zealotry that had marked him an asset on the battlefield, Pyrrhicles hadn't given up, personally appealing to Alexandros for some way for him to serve. Won over by his subordinate's passion, Alexandros asked Icarion if there was anything that could be done before his elder brother departed. Icarion offered a solution: a series of bionic implementations and gene-therapy would create a facsimile of legionhood. After thanking Icarion, Alexandros invited Pyrrhicles to join him. Pyrrhicles had accepted. 

"One of the highest honors," Pyrrhicles agreed. "And one that I'll be forever indebted to you, my lord. Yet, I still want one more look at my homeworld."

Alexandros nodded before turning his attention onto Theron. "Are we ready to be on our way, Captain?"

A curt nod was his answer. "On your command, my lord."

The Primarch fixed his gaze on Delos. "Make it so."

The vibrant planet steadily shrank as the Iron Griffin, an Eclipse-class light cruiser, sped away. For once, Alexandros tuned out the scene around him and simply watched. So ends my life's first chapter. In 58 years, I've accomplished more than most men could hope to do in a lifetime. And I am immune to the touch of Time itself. What will the future bring now, I wonder? The temptation hovered next to him. To extend his vision forward and see for himself, but Alexandros had learned early on that the future was not set in stone, and the possibilities outnumbered the stars once he ventured past a few years. No man, Astartes, or Primarch truly knows his fate. 

Before him, Delos was a distant blue-and-green blip that he doubted others could still perceive.

"Beginning warp translation."

With silence, the image ended as the feed was cut off. For where they were going, no good would come from physical navigation.

"My lord?" Alexandros turned his attention toward Pyrrhicles. "I must prepare for the first sessions, and it sounds like I'll be spending most of my time in the medical facilities for the voyage. So, I think I'll have to good-bye for the time being."

Alexandros nodded. "You'll be in some of the finest medical hands the Imperium has to offer. We will meet again," he finished as he offered his hand.

Pyrrhicles shook it, though his hand was the size of an infant's compared to the Primarch's. "Is that one of your predictions, my lord?"

A chuckle and a wink was his answer.

After Pyrrhicles had departed, Alexandros addressed Captain Bosowski. "I will be leaving the bridge as well. Please keep me informed of our progress as necessary."

"Yes, my lord."

The Primarch turned his attention on Irvin. "Praetor Ruel, if you would accompany me."

"Of course, my lord," Irvin answered with a nod. 

Although he had only been shown the ship's schematics once, Alexandros recalled every door and hallway with perfect clarity, effortlessly leading his Praetor to his temporary quarters. When initial arrangements were being made, it had been expected for the Primarch to make the visit home in one of the Vth legion's battle barges. Alexandros immediately protested, saying that such a warship would be needed more for his sons to prosecute the Great Crusade and desired a smaller and faster ship. The Iron Griffin not only fit his requirements, but was in need of an overhaul to begin with, which could be accomplished at the Martian shipyards. Captain Bosowski had been most surprised to learn of his valuable passenger and offered his personal cabin for the voyage's duration. That too Alexandros politely declined before he located an empty midshipman's quarters and took them as his cabin. 

As such, Alexandros had to nearly double over before he could step into the small cabin. Three bunks had been brought in and arranged to fit the Primarch's size. The only other room's features were a couple of chairs and a small but organized mountain of dataslates. The moment the door was closed upon them, Alexandros pointed at the larger of the chairs. "Please, have a seat Irvin. My apologies, do you mind if I address you by your first name?" he asked as he sat down on the beds. 

"No, my lord," Ruel replied before he sat down in the chair. The chair was made with the dimensions of an space marine in mind, but even then, he was eye-level with his gene-sire. 

"Good, and, so long as we are in a private atmosphere, I insist that you call me Alex," Alexandros declared with a warm smile. 

Ruel, after decades of war, had been given a few strange orders. Yet, this last one, to call one of the sons of the Emperor himself, by such a casual name may have been the strangest and distinctly left him uncomfortable. "If you truly insist upon it, my lord."

An expectant smile was his answer.

"Er, I mean, Alex."

"Don't worry," Alexandros said as he leaned back against the bulkhead. "You'll get used to it in time. Now, I realize we have much to cover as far as the legion goes, but I want to focus on you for a moment. I'd like to know more about you."

Irvin straightened up in his seat. "Of course...Alex. My name is Irvin Ruel, Chapter Master of the Vth Legion. My military service began in 763 when I was recruited from the Jermani state and accepted into the Legiones Astartes a few months later after entering into a trial program. My first assignment was a tactical squad in VIth company. My first battle was the Battle of Portsmith, which was the beginning of the Albyon campaign. I was promoted to Sergeant three days before the end of the campaign for a combination of exemplary service and heroics during the Siege of Londinvinium." 

With patience and attentiveness, the Primarch listened as his son continued to briefly cover the rest of his military career, including every promotion, every award, and every major campaign participated in. When Irvin finally reached the end, Alexandros smiled. "You've had a long and full service, my son. I am proud to have such an able soldier at my side."

Whether it was his genetics or his father's natural aura, Irvin could feel a wave of pride washing over him, filling him. "Thank you...Alex."

"I should be thanking you, Irvin," Alexandros replied. "You have fought well and kept my sons away from military disasters. Very remarkable. But, I'd like to know more about you, Irvin."

Confusion mixed in with the pride. "Er, excuse me, sir?" 

"You are more than a service record, Irvin," Alex began. "I want to know more about you as a person. What are your dreams? How do you relax? What is your favorite color? Why as a Lord Commander and Praetor, do you prefer to fight on the front lines? These are the things I'd like to know."

"I understand," Irvin replied slowly. "My only dream is to serve the Imperium and win glory for my legion. If I wish to clear my head, I'll enter the sparring arenas. I don't have a favorite color. I lead from the front because that is where I can control the flow of battle, at the edge of my claws. I am both the most senior and warrior on any battlefield I deploy on. It also happens to be the place where I can win the most glory, in close combat. If I did not lead from there, how can I ask any of my brothers to do the same?" After a pause, Irvin hesitantly said, "Alex, I'm not sure you understand what it means to be a legionnaire. We are not like mortal men and their common aspirations and traits. We are transhuman warriors."

"Transhuman?" Alex repeated slowly, tasting the word. "There is some truth to what you say, Irvin. You and my sons have become more than human. Your size, the equipment you use, and I've noticed that fear does not seem to have a presence within the legions. That much is true. Yet, even the word 'transhuman' still has 'human' in it. If my sons are transhuman, than how much farther away am I from Humanity? Yet, even I still feel many of the same urges that the Delians felt. A desire to belong, a desire to be with my family. Emotions? With the exception of fear, I've felt the rest: happiness, worry, misery, serenity. We may be different variations of Humanity, but we are still human nonetheless. I can honestly say today is my favorite day of my life because I got to meet my Father, I got to meet my brother. I was even accepted by my older brother! I understand if you don't sympathize with that but trust me. Most younger brothers would have loved to have been in my place during that moment." 

With a grin, Alex looked around the room. "If I chose to, I could learn how this ship works in an hour. I could learn all of the intricacies behind the technology that allows us to travel through the warp in a week. And yet," he said as he looked back at Irvin. "My people, the Delians, were still teaching me new things after being their leader for years. My son, if there's one lesson I want you to learn, is that to never underestimate Humanity."

Edited by simison

A moment passed as Alexandros allowed his words time to find root. He watched as Irvin absorbed them and deliberated on them, his son's eyes looking and not-looking at him. Soon, his son nodded, "I will abide by your wisdom on this, Alex and think on this."

Alex smiled even as he privately acknowledged that Irvin would probably need more time and experience before he accepted this one truth. "Of course. I do apologize, Irvin. I did not invite you to a conversation to discomfort you, so I offer the next topic to be of your choosing." Alex spread out his hands with a casual distance of five feet between them and his torso. "Whatever you want to speak of, you need only say."

"Then, I would like to debrief on your legion, Alex," Irvin replied with no hesitation.

Alex nodded for him to begin. 

"Since you will not be taking direct control of the legion immediately, I believe that you don't desire legionnaire numbers and disposition yet. However, I confess, Alex, we have a serious situation that is affecting the legion as a whole."

Alex quirked an eyebrow. "What situation?"

"Madness."

Alexandros chuckled. "Were it not for our conversation, I'd think you might have some talent as a storyteller. You, at least, know some of the basics of timing." He waved his hand onward. "Sorry, please continue. What madness?"

Hiding a frown, Irvin replied, "Since we've embarked on the Great Crusade, thousands of legionnaires have been struck by various mental illnesses to different degrees. The worst ones have turned on our own men, killing them before being contained or eliminated. Some legionnaires are coping and are still able to serve, however many of the cases have had to be retired from active duty. At the other extreme, we've had legionnaires who've become completely catatonic. I've done what I can to minimize the publicity of incidents, but our reputation has still suffered. While no one knows how high the numbers actually are, the Imperium is aware that there are incidents, and we've been under special scrutiny."

The Primarch's smile had shrunk, but not completely gone away. "The cause?"

"It is either the psykers or an error in our gene-seed. I am inclined to believe it is the psykers," Irvin explained. "They can be tied to every single case that has occurred."

"Have there been no issues with the gene-seeds?"

Irvin paused. "Not...officially, Alex. Other legions have shown unusual traits. The most extreme rumoured case has been the XIth legion's flesh-change. Supposedly, because of the flesh-change, the entire legion no longer participates in the Great Crusade, however, it hasn't been conclusively proven that it is their gene-seed behind the flaw. A few of the other legions undergo minor physical or behavioral changes, but nothing as debilitating as the flesh-change, if what I have learned is accurate. Nevertheless, this is why I am inclined to believe it has something to do with the psykers. No other legion is suffering from instabilities in their gene-seed, while the XIth legion, which has a vast psyker contingent, is the only one suffering from effects that are more crippling than our own."

With a slow nod, Alex replied, "Well, it looks like I have a bit more homework to do." He gestured to the stack of dataslates. "Is there a detailed report already compiled?"

"No, Alex. I can have one prepared for you within twenty-three hours," Irvin said.

Alex didn't need any telepathathic abilities to see the eagerness effusing from his son. "The sooner, the better. Would it also be possible to send some of my afflicted sons to me on Terra? I wish to examine them firsthand."

"You need only give the command, my lord, I mean Alex." Irvin stood. "I can have the orders sent to out in less than an hour. If you'll excuse me?"

"Of course." Alex held out his hand. "Irvin, I'm glad we were able to talk. I am pleased with your service."

With nurtured pride, Irvin energetically shook the massive hand. "I live to serve the Imperium, Alex." He strode to the door and hesitated. Glancing back, he asked, "Alex, do you think you'll be able to heal them?"

With a smile, Alex shrugged. "I don't think I have to say I will give it my best attention, but I will say that even if it is a problem beyond my understanding, I don't think it will be beyond Father's power."