Thor's Blood Angels

Thoridon

Looking great! Any tips/what colors did you use for the claws? Really like the blue you got going there.

Thanks, I never tried that kind of effect before but having seen similar things on various pictures around I thought I'd see what I could come up with.

All vallejo paints:

1. Black surface primer as the primer (surprisingly).

2. Thin base layer of Stormy Blue over each talon, just smoothly brushed on.

3. Thin drybrush of Magic Blue starting from the tip down. Tip ending up covered, more of the Stormy Blue still showing closer to the base. I'd say about 80%-90% of the talon done with this layer, getting thinner the further away from the tip.

4. Thin drybush of Magic Blue mixed with a dab of Off White, again starting from the tip down. This time probably only going as far as the end third of the talon and again getting thinner the further from the tip, with very faint brushing up to half way.

5. Final drybrush with Magic Blue mixed with even more Off White, just around the tip as the final highlight.

I just made sure not to have much paint on the brush, so each extra layer would pretty much cover the tip and then thin out nice and quickly as I went along the talon to try to create a bit of blending effect.

I'm happy with how it turned out so decided to paint all my models with Power weapons the same style, and use the same effect for Force weapons but with greens instead of blues.

Edited by Thoridon

Yeah I think it looks great! Trying to do basically the same effect, thanks for the help. I've only used gw pAints, but I'm assuming the general idea regardless of the color is: start dark, then dry brush lighter and lighter shades until the tip is almost white and the bottom is still the darker first color.

Looking forward to seeing more of you work using this method!

I've only used gw pAints, but I'm assuming the general idea regardless of the color is: start dark, then dry brush lighter and lighter shades until the tip is almost white and the bottom is still the darker first color.

Aye, that was the idea :smile.: I know some people prefer to do wet blending but I find thin drybrushing after the base layer to be fast and simple.

Looking good. I see you have very effectively used the same technique for power wealons on the jump packs. Look great! Will try that out as well!

I was tempted to use a red/orange combo for jump pack exhausts but the blue looks so nice against the black. I'm just not sure if I should add the effect to the other half of each exhaust - I focused it on the 'circle' side for now but I don't know if that looks out of balance.

Thanks, mostly relieved to have them done comfortably ahead of the ETL end date that's been creeping closer! Now pondering whether or not to paint up a character or two as extra vows... they wouldn't take too long as single models but if I find I have less time at the end of the week it could render that first vow pointless. No more time today anyhow!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure Tycho will be used much though, it just felt like putting him in DC mode was the best use of the old model.

DC Tycho

3 Wounds

4 Attacks (6 on charge)

2+ Armour with 4++ Invul

Master-Crafted Bolter

One use Master-Crafted Melta

Same points in extra Bolter DC (7 DC marines)

7 Wounds

14 Attacks (28 on charge)

The only real reason to use him would be nostalgia and fluff. He's certainly not points efficient! Maybe in a larger points game, put him out in front of the DC unit to tank with his 2+ / 4++ and protect the others as long as possible until he goes down.

That said, I do like playing things for fun so he will get used exactly that way :p Just not in lower points games...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

With 8th on the way it's back to painting. I had Squad Alphaeus half finished from the Deathstorm box so quickly finished them off as it's been well over a year!

http://i.imgur.com/O2Gzn8X.jpg

I notice from this I actually missed a belt buckle and couple of ankle-joint tubes but oh well, I can touch those up later. Bases also to be done properly along with all other models when I decide how to do them! I might have to add a stronger glow to the eyes too, it doesn't really stand out in the picture (though it's only a phone camera).

They're fitting with my army-wide scheme of power weapons having the blue effect and flamers having orange casing, to be easily identifiable.

Of course with Squad Alphaeus no longer having special rules I don't need them in that configuration, so I'd probably give them an Assault Cannon or Cyclone Launcher if building fresh for 8th :p I'll probably just get hold of an extra model to give one of those weapons to, so I can swap them in and out - or cut the arm off that one to magnetise them.

Your figs look great Thoridon. 

Shot of PVA and playsand (or similiar) on those bases would make a big difference.

Although mine are mostly plain painted too tho so I am not giving you crap just saying I need to do it too and it looks sweet.

I went with green purity seals also.

I am gonna have to make a thread like this one of these days and get on a painting challenge or something to maybe force myself to paint more.

For quantity not quality hehheh. Been meaning too forever.

Anyhow, sweet looking models!

Aye, I've got some 'grass' and mini stones to attach, plus some milliput to smoothen the edge (ie. hide) where the older models are now double-based. Just figured I'd get a bunch more painted and then do a big batch of bases in one go when I know exactly how I want them to look.

And thanks :) I figured these green seals wouldn't look too bright, and go well next to the red. Went with purple on the DC.

Well, a miracle has occurred - I managed to get the new rules without buying any more models.

I was sorely tempted to just get the Dark Imperium set but I'd have no use for the Chaos models and honestly I don't think I'd use half of the Primaris either. I have enough still to paint for now anyway! Popped down to the local gaming store this morning to get the rulebook and a few indices, figured I'd get the hard copies from the start. I even managed to not pick up a Stormraven or Razorback while I was there.

Now back to painting :)

He's had to wait well over 15 years but this guy has finally been painted:

http://i.imgur.com/Xv5gNks.jpg

I know he was technically a Captain model but hey, I felt he'd be better suited as a Librarian :tongue.: I might need to tidy up the blade a little, when I have some fresh light to work with.

Temporary base, as with previous models (though I did add some milliput to this one to blend in where his old base was glued on top of a new one!).

Edited by Thoridon

• 1 month later...

I got Dante painted up. Used a jump pack from the SG kit and added an extra thingy on top to help him stand out a little.

http://i.imgur.com/ng2jqnL.jpg

I also started working on some basing with him, figured it was time.

Added bits to the bases of some previously painted models too:

http://i.imgur.com/8iV8qQN.jpg

Edited by Thoridon

And a quick shot of my current "finished" models with basing work added:

http://i.imgur.com/6TPegkU.jpg

I say "finished" as I often go back and tidy a bit up or add a little detail, and I expect I'll adjust these bases a bit too, but I thought I'd put a small group shot together.

There are of course a large amount of unbuilt, half built, unpainted and half painted models not shown here but I'm working my way through them gradually! With many units I'm feeling that I want to wait for our Codex before continuing to see what changes, though that could be another year...

Edited by Thoridon