The Children of Europa - A III Legion army blog

Jackalwolf

Great work here Grieux !,

Really Loving the Gold, next time you paint the Gold could i trouble you to make a picture tutorial on your gold technique wub.png i think it's a really great look and would be a welcome addition to be pinned into the - +Tutorials & How To's + , Painting tutorial section....

Cheers, Mithril

• 1 month later...

I know I said I would not redo Saul Tarvitz but the scale of the champion torso always threw me off, and when I saw the magnificent conversion from Eidolon, I knew I had to base mine on his interpretation:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Legio%20III/C5793A60-EBF5-4EF2-B7F1-33DE441299F4_zpssdbavj7p.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Legio%20III/BF3C9844-9D1C-424C-998B-5E15633C853D_zpszvuta3fb.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Legio%20III/693A08BA-D6C3-4A4C-86E2-34F455F23865_zpsakw5q3ss.jpg

I'm only waiting for a sniper rifle to convert the bolter to his long range rifle and that's it. Arms and head are magnetised so I can run him as a Praetor or champion with Phoenix spear.

Nice work!! Infact I think I hate you, as I might prefer yours! Good use of the boarding marine, using him for Tarvitz is a worthy sacrifice!! I also like Eidolon's dagger on his belt, I might have to steal that and see if I can put it on mine!!

I also like the pose slightly more on yours! He looks much more rugged!!

Nice work!! Infact I think I hate you, as I might prefer yours! Good use of the boarding marine, using him for Tarvitz is a worthy sacrifice!! I also like Eidolon's dagger on his belt, I might have to steal that and see if I can put it on mine!!

I also like the pose slightly more on yours! He looks much more rugged!!

Thanks mate, you know without your conversion this one wouldn't have happened.

Very nice. I do like Marines with their bolters slung like that: it's one of my favorite poses.

I thought it was particularly relevant for Tarvitz since a sniper bolter is one of his trademarks.

Oh man!!! Dude, that's amazing! Easily the best Tarvitz that I've seen. The combination of bits and the awesome pose all work perfectly together.

To be honest, I'm pretty jealous. I wish he was mine tongue.png

Thank you kizz! It was a pain since until I set on this base of Loken from Eidolon's conversion i must have chopped 40 pounds worth of bits that just ended on the rubbish bin lol.

To do it again though it's quite straightforward, the hardest part being the torso from the Boarding Marine from 2011 which was a bit of a risk to cut.

That's a beautiful Tarvitz conversion Grieux, will you be adding the half-Aquila on his vambrace?

Man, I always wanted FW to give Saul a model despite his brief part in the Heresy, given how his actions changed the course of the Heresy by allowing Garro & Loken to survive Istvaan III, and become the first Knights Errant.

That's a beautiful Tarvitz conversion Grieux, will you be adding the half-Aquila on his vambrace?

Man, I always wanted FW to give Saul a model despite his brief part in the Heresy, given how his actions changed the course of the Heresy by allowing Garro & Loken to survive Istvaan III, and become the first Knights Errant.

Thanks man!

I will try painting the vambrace aquilas in. And I totally agree on the FW model. It's a pitty it wasn't done during books I to III since now it's really unlikely with all the queue they have for new releases for playable new models.

Another one I'm sad they didn't recreate on it's day is Lucius since I'd have appreciated having a version of him you can use both pre and post heresy like Eidolon rather than a mutated freak like they'll most probably sculpt.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since the last update but back on hobby track with the promised gold tutorial.

Step one is just covering all gold parts carefully with retributor gold, two or three layers to ensure good coverage.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Army%20Sale%20-%20Sons%20of%20Horus/E7F54ED9-C3F6-49F5-A151-C31E00CE28B1_zpsfslmpigv.jpg

I finally managed to finish my first tactical squad!

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Legio%20III/3DE65036-7F64-47F0-9804-87DE11DC0C6B_zpsnkbpnc7z.jpg

Just need to varnish them for some nice protection for which I'll use the usual vallejo gloss spray plus dullcote combination.

I'm still very much wondering about the basing for the army. I did buy the new gw basing kit as I thought it would be nice to represent Istvann III but to be honest I'm wondering if I truly like it. Any ideas are very welcome.

The second squad already has all the airbrush work done on them so they shouldn't take that long to finish off, just need line highlights, chipping damage, blacks, metals and then gold!

P.S. Made some wip pictures on how to paint the gold so will upload these later.

Introducing...

Chaplain Culln.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Legio%20III/D4EB8FE5-68E3-451C-B881-1442AE4218E9_zpsctbi3vl4.jpg

Pending some finishing touches. Left arm and right hand are magnetised so I can swap for a powerfist plus crozius combination.

Wondering on the shield to be honest when he's just with the crozius. His role is to go with the Phoenix Guard so thought breacher shiny was useful for defensive grenades but if I'm getting charged I'm toast anyway. Thoughts in terms of usefulness vs a refractor field? Also, aesthetic wise the shield makes him look more brutal and less noble.

Thank you so much, I was planning on painting him black with the shoulder pads purple as an accent color, both to give him a distinct flavour to the rest of my force and because his fluff is that he recovered the armor of Charmosian from the ruins of Istvann III and donned it, finally becoming a Chaplain after years of dreadful visions that started when Fulgrim stepped on Laeran.

I think it is a cool idea.

A quick question though.

Charmosian was a traitor following Fulgrim. So why use his armour?

Is it like the ghost of Charmosian?

Also do we know what happened to Charmosians jelmet after Lucius beheaded him and used the helmet to contact the traitors?

Archived