Where to go next...

Last year i started picking through the HH series.  I've gone through a number of them and then start going through them again with my wife (we listen to the audiobooks since we both spend a lot of time in the car).  I've gone back over my favorites with her and am now looking for where to go next.  We've hit...

Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in flames

1k Sons, Prospero Burns

Legion

Betrayer

Previously i had also listened to Flgiht of the Eisensteine, Fulgrim, Aurelian, The First Heretic, Know no Fear, Angel Exterminatus, Scars, Vengeful Spirit, Descent of Angels, Fear to Tread, maybe some others that i don't remember.

So my question is thus...where would you guys go next?  I kind of what to jump into books i haven't read yet but at the same time i don't want to her to miss big parts of the overall story.  Are there any HH books that i've missed that i should go back and listen to?  Are there any in my list of ones that i've listened to but she hasn't that we should back to before starting on new ones?   I was thinking if we moved forward i would grab Path to Heaven and then go from there.  I am also interested in checking out the Beast Arises series.

Any advice is appreciated!  

Awesome! I'm a huge fan of the audios over the print books.

I've been through the five Beast Arisies audios so far. I can definitely recommend them.

Unfortunately, they're just a little bit shorter than the standard HH novel, but they're very enjoyable.

Have you checked out Unremembered Empire amd Mechanicum yet? Those would be the more "core" stories, and both are awesome. Also, while I'm getting a little bit fatigued with the wealth of Shattered Legions material, Seventh Serpent and Damnation of Pythos are both pretty cool.

I quite enjoyed Know No Fear, do you think that would be a requireed prelude for Unremembered Empire?  I'm intrigured my Mechanicum since i've liked all the mechanicum characters in the various other books, so that might be a good next one also before skipping ahead to the more current books.

I'd say if nothing else, go for The First Heretic and Scars. They're the best the series has to offer IMO. Know no Fear and Fulgrim are also both good and are rather important to the story. 

James Swallow is YMMV. I like Flight of the Eisenstein and Fear to Tread just fine, but I know he's not particularly popular with several members.

Well if you're wondering about reading order, I'd suggest:

First Heretic -> Know no Fear -> Betrayer -> Unremembered Empire 

All ADB and Dan Abnett, so it's hard to go wrong. 

Definitely don't skip The First Heretic, expecially if you liked Betrayer.

I'd recommend going through Eisenstein & Fulgrim with her as they perfectly follow on from the opening trilogy. At this point you can then springboard into so many different story arches as they each follow on from Fulgrim quite nicely. There is a multitude of short stories / audiodramas available alongside the novels which help tie events together... ive listed some examples below of listening / reading order:

For some Emperors Children / Iron Warrior / Imperial Fist / Shattered Legion goodness you'd go:

The Phoenician > The Reflection Cracked > The Crimson Fist > Kyrptos > Angel Exterminatus > Black Oculus > Tallarn: Siren, Executioner & Ironclad > The Eagle's Talon > Iron Corpses > Tallarn: Witness

The Seventh Serpent also follows on after Angel Exterminatus but that novella has plot threads now dangling which i think will be partly picked up in the release of The Crimson King.

-

To catch up with Horus and his treacherous dogs:

The Final Compliance of Sixty-Three Fourteen > Warmaster > Little Horus > Luna Mendax > The Last Remembrancer > The Either > The Divine Adoratrice > Vengeful Spirit > Wolf Mother & Twisted

There are some absolutely amazing short stories in there! Luna Mendax can come as a bit of a surprise if you've not followed Garro on his travels so going through his stories would help here, specifically Legion of One.

-

For the White Scars / Deathguard:

The Serpent Beneath > Rebirth > Brotherhood of the Storm > Scars > Brotherhood of the Moon > Allegiance > Grey Talon > Daemonology - timeline wise this takes you up to just before the story Little Horus which i listed above. Follow this on with The Path of Heaven to bring yourself right up to date.

-

Last example because because ive rambled on long enough and this is by far the most complex bugger to list:

Word Bearers / Ultramarines / World Eaters / Iron Warriors / Blood Angels / Salamanders

The First Heretic > Aurelian > The Underworld War > Butcher's Nails > The Shards of Erebus > Know No Fear > Honour to the Dead > Athame > Dark Heart > Unmarked >

From here you can split the story off into two directions that are easy enough to follow and ive listed as A & B:

A: The Honoured > The Unburdened > A Deeper Darkness > The Calth That Was > The Traveller > Censure > Red-Marked

B: Betrayer > Khârn: The Eightfold Path > Heart of the Conquerer > There is no further plot progression for the World Eaters from this point as of yet! sad.png

Now pick up the rest of the story as follows:

Virtues of the Sons > Fear to Tread > Lost Sons > The Iron Within > Ironfire > Rules of Engagement > The Unremembered Empire > Stratagem > Sins of the Father > The Herald of Sanguinius

At this point if you want to keep following the plot you'd have to be up to date with the Dark Angels / Nightlords / Thramas Crusade story which runs parallel on it's own as follows:

Descent of Angels > Call of the Lion > Fallen Angels > Grey Angel > Master of the First > Cypher: Guardian of Order > Savage Weapons > The Lion > By The Lion's Command > Prince of Crows > The Long Night

Then there's also the Salamanders story arch which links into the The Unremembered Empire as follows:

Feat of Iron > Promethean Sun > Artefacts > Scorched Earth > Vulkan Lives > Forgotten Sons > The Gates of Terra > Deathfire

Now after all of that continue with:

The Laurel of Defiance > The Dark Between the Stars > A Safe and Shadowed Place > Pharos aaaaaaand last but not least Angels of Caliban!

Apologies if that was information overload, and i've not covered half the stories out there and missed a few which i'm not sure where to order yet BUT I have found it easier to keep track of characters / plot threads by grouping the stories together like that.

Hope it is of some help & happy listening! smile.png

Archived