Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

+ Truescale the Horus Heresy + 25/7/17 - AL Headhunters]

Truescale Iron Warriors Legion Night Lords Legion Salamanders Legion Alpha Legion Word Bearers Legion White Scars Legion

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts
gyyrDvA.jpg

A bunch of us have got heavily into 30k ever since Calth came out. We were all hobbyists before, mostly 40k/WFB, but branching out into Flames of War and Bolt Action. Calth has absolutely taken over our entire hobby lives. 30k or death! So we'll be posting about that mainly!

My old 40k marines were all upscaled a bit (using a modified version of Veteran Sergeant's technique that I saw on HeresyOnline way back), so I definitely wanted to carry that on to 30k. I refined my version a bit, made them a bit chunkier, and convinced some (not all) of the lads to go in the same direction....

in no particular order we have...

My Iron Warriors

:cusst5K.jpg
McCFeI5.jpg

I'm not the best painter of the bunch, but given the volume I've put out (I've got around 3.5k painted since Calth) I'm very happy with them.
I've gone for a fluffy, infantry heavy army, though having just read The Ironfire ROW, I'm going to be adding some artillery soon.

T's Imperial Fists

VQePsAZ.jpg

This photo doesn't really do them justice. Ty is a slow, but excellent painter. These guys are currently WIP, and the bases have come on a bit since this was taken. We decided to unify the basing scheme, to tie all the forces together. He's currently working on 10 terminators.

X's Word Bearers

WlNf6qG.jpg

Xander has an eye for detail. These guys are stunning. He's going for a fluffy, deep-into-heresy look for his lads. His Ashen Circle are something to behold!

L's Alpha Legion

BJEBPCN.jpg

Luke hasn't scaled his guys up, and I think it really works with his AL, the sneaky bastards that they are. His blended armour is really lovely. I'll try to get him to upload some close ups.

R's Salamanders

QiXVZMV.jpg
lJf6kBs.jpg

Rob used to be a terrible painter. I don't know what happened. Maybe he drank some radioactive paint? He's the master of the airbrush, and the painter that I'm in business with. He's also our resident power gamer, and his zooming Storm Eagle precipitated the purchase of many fliers and Deredeos...

Q's Night Lords

gZceqvL.jpg
aFDoQ5u.jpg

For what he lacks in volume, he makes up for in quality. Fighting in the kitchen of our war-torn utopian Palace/Cathedral, his Night Lords are, to a man, stunningly painted. His next project is a trio of contemptors and a spartan, all suitably covered in skulls and chains.

Edited by torealis, 25 July 2017 - 06:31 PM.
Tags edited

• Sgt. Blank, Soric, DuskRaider and 5 others like this

buildmylegion.co.uk - a new commission service for truescaling and painting

Truescale, multi-legion Blog

https://www.facebook.../buildmylegion/

Isengrin

Isengrin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 395 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

You have succeeded where I failed. I tried to convince the 30k players in my group to jump on the truescale train and ride it all the way to the Battle of Terra, but it wasn't meant to be. Anyway, your armies are looking good. A few close-up would be appreciated, or, better yet, some battle scene pictures. msn-wink.gif

• torealis likes this

Sgt. Blank

Sgt. Blank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 565 posts
Everyone in your group has a cool looking force. I am sure it makes for fun games to see those models take the field

gallery_29004_12090_2245.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_4603.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01a.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01b.gifqVQuHsg.pngETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_04.gETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_02.gifCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01f.jpggallery_48988_10069_14888.png

Luna707

Luna707

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 904 posts
Wow true scale and heresy! I'm in heaven!

gallery_84811_11476_9558.jpg

Check out my truescale marines!

http://www.bolterand...on-hands-blog/

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,632 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Did you make masters and recast them? Or cut through each set? We've been doing each by hand and every model makes me wanna just cast up a set of masters every time,

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

You have succeeded where I failed. I tried to convince the 30k players in my group to jump on the truescale train and ride it all the way to the Battle of Terra, but it wasn't meant to be. Anyway, your armies are looking good. A few close-up would be appreciated, or, better yet, some battle scene pictures. msn-wink.gif

Those weren't close enough for you?? We'll definitely have some battle scene pics, take a look below!

Everyone in your group has a cool looking force. I am sure it makes for fun games to see those models take the field

Wow true scale and heresy! I'm in heaven!

Thanks guys! It's been great so far. Still a long way to go...

Did you make masters and recast them? Or cut through each set? We've been doing each by hand and every model makes me wanna just cast up a set of masters every time,

Each. One. By. Hand.

I know exactly what you mean, but I love the challenge and the variety. I've started doing commission building of them now, so hand-made is definitely the way forward for me.

Right, so, a little more. Some of the above pics are pretty old, and we've played a few games since... So here ya go!

gam4
Album: Battle Scenes
8 images
0 comments

I figured I should also add some WIP shots of the marines themselves, with some comparisons...

pN2jpvo.jpg
oMpR2TT.jpg
gyyrDvA.jpg
CFeF88d.jpg
w82m60J.jpg
ofeOwEJ.jpg
7ElO2Ol.jpg

Edited by torealis, 05 July 2016 - 08:41 AM.

• Soric and Isengrin like this

Isengrin

Isengrin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 395 posts

Looks like you got in a few fun games and, most importantly, there are no grey marines in sight. Nothing better than two painted armies duking it out. msn-wink.gif

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,632 posts
How do you do your mark 3 extensions? For the longest time I was ending up with uneven layers after shaving away the excess plasticard on the backs of the legs, until I started using two sheets of .75 thickness and cutting them down independently before gluing them back together.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Looks like you got in a few fun games and, most importantly, there are no grey marines in sight. Nothing better than two painted armies duking it out. msn-wink.gif

Nothing. Better. Our next gaming weekend is the 30/31 July and we're all aiming for 1250 pts painted each (I'm a bit ahead of the curve on 3.5k).

pUKwdtt.jpg

How do you do your mark 3 extensions? For the longest time I was ending up with uneven layers after shaving away the excess plasticard on the backs of the legs, until I started using two sheets of .75 thickness and cutting them down independently before gluing them back together.

All my extensions are the same, 2mm plasticard in the thigh and 2mm at the waist. So mk3's spacer goes in the middle of the thigh plate.

This seems like as good a time as any to share what I did for Ty for his templars...

rTu38Gw.jpg

FU6RnYY.jpg

2kVT70m.jpg

QgbHUhk.jpg

I built them, Ty painted them.

• Soric, Legio Draconis, CaptainHelion and 2 others like this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,632 posts
Nice, they look good. How thick is that GS layer?

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,617 posts

:cusst5K.jpg

med_gallery_70393_9896_313226.png

Heresy pattern armor...

Words have power, use them well.

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Nice, they look good. How thick is that GS layer?

Thanks!

On the Mk3s its thin, basically cosmetic to cover up the join. Any thicker and you lose the rim at the top and bottom of the armour plate.

Heresy pattern armor...

Tell me about it! 20 of them! That's enough nobbly bits for the rest of my life...

update

Everyone is making excellent progress!

We have Q's plastic contemptor conversion

srrdsHr.jpg

0gmhI5b.jpg

XXOMqfD.jpg

VjZznWS.jpg

And X has been doing great work on Xardu

x1xIUKO.jpg

xZcuRDq.jpg

R4BIj74.jpg

• Marshal Rohr likes this

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Onwards and update-wards!

I finished my test squad for my scars. They're not perfect, but they're quick, gritty and simple.

5wWmTpm.jpg

I also started on the board that will host these mighty armies...

AmIRCRk.jpg

and put together a little tutorial for the waists of my upscaled marines. I'll hopefully get a leg one done next time I put together some marines.

pS7ZBQ2.jpg

CoXsQRg.jpg

We've also managed to convince a seventh person to join our ranks, so look out soon for Rich's Raven Guard!

• jaxom, Marshal Rohr, Soric and 2 others like this

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

A sneak peak at a big update from rob soon...

ZXwvOTB.jpg

"Come on you apes! You want to live forever?!"

Luna707

Luna707

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 904 posts
Awesome stuff! Do you have any plans to convert the auxilia? Where are you guys based out of? I would love to get a truescale game in if you're in the US

gallery_84811_11476_9558.jpg

Check out my truescale marines!

http://www.bolterand...on-hands-blog/

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Awesome stuff! Do you have any plans to convert the auxilia? Where are you guys based out of? I would love to get a truescale game in if you're in the US

Thanks mate! I don't think Rob has too many modelling plans for the SAux, they're pretty perfect as they are.

We're all in the UK sadly, so no truescale gaming for us (except amongst ourselves.)

I had a look at your blog btw, and those are some badass models! You've done a great and simple thing there.

Update time:  L has been doing some super secret work on his Alpha Legion, which suits them pretty well I guess!

59nUfuw.jpg

YloZJ2f.jpg

TwXhdBi.jpg

Next up: A finished Night Lord Contemptor and Sevatar!

• Luna707 and Isengrin like this

Isengrin

Isengrin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 395 posts

(...) Next up: A finished Night Lord Contemptor and Sevatar!

A true-scaled Sevatar I presume? It's getting really interesting in here.

MordentHex

MordentHex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,115 posts
  • Faction: The Deliverers
those mk5 iron warriors are the bomb man. good stuff!

Want to look at something of mine that you may think is really cool or maybe sucks completely?

Click on the link! MordentHex's chaos workshop of Heresy

HORUS HERESY: 1st Tyrannic Invasion.
My current army: 6th Ed. Heresy SM army: HUGE! pts. (WIP)
For the squat!

Do not underestimate the Squats. They survived for millennia cut off from the Imperium and assailed from all sides. Their determination and resilience is an example to all.
– Meditations on Imperial Command, Book XVI

ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_01.jpgETL_2013_Forum_Champion_12_Honour.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gifETL_2014_Banner_V2_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg
I broke my Oath: I suck

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

(...) Next up: A finished Night Lord Contemptor and Sevatar!

A true-scaled Sevatar I presume? It's getting really interesting in here.

Sorry to disappoint... but Sevatar (nor any Special Character) has been scaled up. FW already make them bigger, so we've kept them the same. They work really nicely next to our marines.

those mk5 iron warriors are the bomb man. good stuff!

Thanks pal! I'm glad I never have to paint any again though!

So I lied about Sevatar and the dread...

but we have some lovely Solar Auxilia painted by rob

7fqTfUK.jpg

59pDowp.jpg

BQLF6e7.jpg

OcdmrFd.jpg

MagicMan

MagicMan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,229 posts
  • Faction: Marines Errant
Woah thats alot of content for one page!!

Youre really lucky to have such a group of gaming friends! The armies look sick.
  • torealis likes this

gallery_48988_6285_1353.png

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Woah thats alot of content for one page!!

Youre really lucky to have such a group of gaming friends! The armies look sick.

We are very lucky! We're all building up to a fully painted weekend on a custom made (by me) board at the end of July...

As for an update, we have Sevatar!

wc4NJ3K.jpg

VbgEwoM.jpg

QTEmtD2.jpg

pltCZJ4.jpg

PtcZKtG.jpg

djEvNjK.jpg

yf4uSr0.jpg

XlZt2Pt.jpg

oVkm22e.jpg

zHe0MYN.jpg

8yk8a6l.jpg

• Grotsmasha and GreyRavenC like this

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Finished a commission build yesterday, these are now zipping off to R for some paint!

Wo1gHIB.jpg

oNU8Aws.jpg

mrrDkmV.jpg

uDznNN5.jpg

• Soric and Bernard The slayer like this

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Games coming up this weekend... not sure I'll have the board finished...

4diP22n.jpg

41QlwV1.jpg

cQJ4olr.jpg

KKNMhmC.jpg

uSUcNTY.jpg

• BrotherCaptainArkhan, bloodhound23, Thousand Eyes and 1 other like this

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 619 posts
Great stuff so far mate, such a simple change really helps make the BaC marine proportions more realistic and heroic. Bravo!
  • torealis likes this

Alpha legion and Iron hands work in progress:
http://www.bolterand...legion-wip-log/

gallery_87021_11487_17911.png

torealis

torealis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Great stuff so far mate, such a simple change really helps make the BaC marine proportions more realistic and heroic. Bravo!

Thanks mate! I really can't handle an unscaled marine now! Just doesnt seem right!

On to an update. As the weekend approaches, it's time for finishing touches... mostly on tanks!

MclbcIu.jpg

V0OhTxx.jpg

xATBc5W.jpg

qchuGll.jpg

K9QtXtE.jpg

ko45QbZ.jpg

RlEfqaL.jpg

iUlO4im.jpg

Ic1s7pF.jpg

clYIWTQ.jpg

QcjWidJ.jpg

• Soric likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Truescale, Iron Warriors Legion, Night Lords Legion, Salamanders Legion, Alpha Legion, Word Bearers Legion, White Scars Legion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users