The Ardat Kehyr - a Word Bearers log [04.07.2016]

Joe

gallery_85228_12197_98634.png

gallery_85228_12197_75159.png
Horus Heresy-era Word Bearer

"Faith is the soul of any army; be it vested in primitive religion or enlightened truth. It makes even the least soldier mighty, the craven is remade worthy and through its balm any hardship may be endured. Faith ennobles all of the worlds the soldier undertakes be they so base or vile, and imports to them the golden spark of transcendent purpose.""

- Lorgar Aurelian, Primarch of the Word Bearers

The Chapter of the Anguished Wail

The Chapter of the Anguished Wail, or the Ardat Kehyr as they are known in Colchisian, are one of many chapters that comprised the XVII Legion at the outbreak of the Horus Heresy. Identifiable to remembrancers by the screaming face enclosed by a spiked ring born upon their right pauldron, the Ardat Kehyr stalk the battlefield in heavily modified suits of power armour; the mournful wail from their modified vox-casters the last sound the Aurelian's many foes would hear.

Since the treachery of the Word Bearers was revealed upon the fields of Istvaan V and Calth, the Ardat Kehyr have been sighted at numerous engagements across the galaxy, bringing glorious death and destruction to the ailing Imperium in the name of Lorgar and his new masters.

Overview

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd throw together a proper project log for my homebrew Word Bearers chapter, the Anguished Wail, whilst I'm working on them. I've tried to produce a mildly organised thread with my experience on other forums (as well as observing other users here) for your view benefit, although I'm still not completely satisfied with it. Regardless, that's not all that important.

When designing my Word Bearers, I had a few basic rules I kept to.
  • Avoid overabundant Chaos imagery; geometric runes, Colchisian sigils, censers and candles are fine. Whilst the Heresy is underway it's still early days, and I don't feel as if they'd be as Chaos-y as they appear to be in 40k. Well, apart from Possessed Marines and Diabolists.
  • Practicality comes first; capes, un-helmeted marines (which mildly inspired the Ardat Kehyr's fluff) and other incredibly unwieldy things are a big no-no. I'll admit, I broke my own rule with my vexilla bearer, however the rule of cool one out in that situation.
  • It's all about having fun; if it isn't fun, it's not going to be worth doing. A project that loses luster because you've been chewing away until 3AM all week to finish painting isn't worth your time. Take it slow. Don't burn yourself out. Don't be an Ultramarine.
With that in mind, here's a link to my first vow; I'd like to avoid adding any more photos into the thread willy-nilly until I've gotten my camera out and set up a decent space to take some pictures. That and I'd like to take the time to edit them. >_> I'll sort that section out once I've finished painting my first vow.

Thanks for checking the thread out! \o

Your after-airbrush pic makes your pledge look very Vlad the Impaler-esque. 

Hilariously appropriate for Word Bearers. Looking forward to seeing you getting some business done!

Especially considering the super cool name you've got picked out for them. 

• 1 year later...

Archived