IA - Blackshields, Legion traitors and similar

bluntblade

Purple is associated with the Asklepian Order, which would make the warband heavy on gene-mod. Purple-and-gold, genemod-heavy chaos warband just screams Emperor's Children to me.

More blue, though (and a bluer color, this cyan just looks off) I'd be fine with: keep all the bling of the Bogatyrs.

Also, I'm thinking I made a wrong choice volunteering Asaev for blackshieldhood. He's pretty much the only written Warbringer character who's not an ass. The IX needs heroes. At the same time, he'd make a good Loken/Morturg-analog as a protagonist.

Fair enough. I'm thinking I might take a less noble Warbringer who becomes head of the Shadow Hands by accident.

Plus, Asaev gives us lots to play with as his character progresses; whether he wrestles with Kozja's independence and refusal to return to the Emperor, or goes along with it.

I definitely want to lean away from EC-alikes

Edited by bluntblade

• 3 months later...

"T'was in the fires of Revelation that our fates were broken. Daer'dd was weak. Icarion is mad. The Suzerains are fools. This Imperium is collapsing, there is no use trying to save it. Only one goal shall lead us now, one we have always bore: we shall bring the Storm.

We had been sons once. Sons of Jurvik, of Obsailes, of Panslavija, of Huron, of Anvilus. Sons of Terra and the Stars alike. But we were taken from these mother-lands and sent across the galaxy as the sons of madmen. Now that these fathers have set their empire ablaze, we are sons of none. Though we are still Guardians, we shall ride the Storm once more, preaching War. Though we pursue our prey, our blade hides in darkness. Though we still trample the graves of the dead, we are wraiths ourselves. We are bloodied, we are orphans, we are the Storm."

-Zhalmon Haarst, formerly of the Fire Keepers, marauder of the Storm of Steel

I carry the memories of countless brothers within me. I shall not do those brothers dishonour. I am a warrior of the XVIIIth and proud to serve my Emperor

-The Scarred King, real name unknown

We were stars of the morning once. Now we are stars that fell and the whole world shall burn in the crater we create

-N/A Blackshield formerly of the Morning Stars

We did everything for the Emperor. We lost brothers for him. We razed our home for him, slaughtered our own people. I still remember their screams as we butchered them in the streets. When Leman's sons lost their minds, we executed them for him. Those who didn't we hid, made our own. Not once did we ask why, not once did we turn around and refuse, demand to know what he planned because we believed in him.

In my life, I have only ever loved two people: the Ruirech and the Emperor. Then I found out that the Emperor never truly trusted us. We weren't important enough to know his plans. We weren't his chosen warriors as we thought. We were dumb brutes, to be used and then discarded.

He broke my heart. Now, I fight for myself and for my brothers. The primarchs, the Emperor. They can all go to hell.

Each man must die someday. This I know. Every tale must have its end. When mine ends, it will be as a warrior for that is what I am, not a slave to be used as the Emperor wishes. And when the Valkyries ride to summon me home, I shall welcome them with open arms. I have fought, fought well and forged a fine tale to tell at the table of the gods.

-N/A, formerly of the Crimson Lions

Edited by Sigismund229

"T'was in the fires of Revelation that our fates were broken. Daer'dd was weak. Icarion is mad. The Suzerains are fools. This Imperium is collapsing, there is no use trying to save it. Only one goal shall lead us now, one we have always bore: we shall bring the Storm.

We had been sons once. Sons of Jurvik, of Obsailes, of Panslavija, of Huron, of Anvilus. Sons of Terra and the Stars alike. But we were taken from these mother-lands and sent across the galaxy as the sons of madmen. Now that these fathers have set their empire ablaze, we are sons of none. Though we are still Guardians, we shall ride the Storm once more, preaching War. Though we pursue our prey, our blade hides in darkness. Though we still trample the graves of the dead, we are wraiths ourselves. We are bloodied, we are orphans, we are the Storm."

-Zhalmon Haarst, formerly of the Fire Keepers, marauder of the Storm of Steel

Just wanted to say I find this fascinating. Carry on.

It's the BotL version of a speech I wrote in the Blackshields: Loyalty Unknown thread. The Storm of Steel exists in both verses, founded in the aftermath of the DoR/dropsite massacre. They find in the death of the Bear/Gorgon and the treachery of their lords the final argument to an idea long kept silent: primarchs are flawed. They believe themselves gods and kings when they are but sources of genetic material. Many of the Storm have fought long before their primarchs came and enforced some flawed idea of nobility. Others were born from secessionists of the Home Worlds, others yet censured for misconduct. The Storm Host are spiritual successors to the Thunnder Warriors of old, a rad-grenade to the broadsword of the Legions. They reject all sides and pursue War Unending as an end in itself. Theirs is an army of blackened steel and iron chains, of poison gas and creeping fire. Many fell trying to execute the "War"master, Kozja, or Koschei. Word has it that they planned to assassinate all primarchs. No gods. No master. Only war, for ever and ever.

• 2 weeks later...

In the old stories, when the bells tolled for midnight you always knew that the dawn was just over the horizon. It's arrival was inevitable. You just needed to hold on. We have reached midnight and a storm threatens to consume us all. But I see no dawn. No reprieve with the coming of the light. Only an eternity of despair and darkness.

-Unknown legionary of the Midnight Angels Warband

• 7 months later...

Had an idea for a character:

Broklur Tidespiter, the Abyssal Knight, Last Shoalmaster of the Twenty-Sixth

When the Twenty-Sixth tendril fleet’s masters defied their Primarch’s call to war against the Emperor, Broklur Tidespite followed his commanders with a steadfast conviction that would see him through the attrition that followed. This resolve he kept in spite of the murderous violence visited upon the Twenty-Sixth, and as those above and around him fell he ascended quickly. The First Solar War left him as de facto Ayatollah, walking the line between the urge to punish Icarion’s armies and his tendril’s survival.

When Aegar Vyrn began to piece together his coalition of broken armies, Tidespite actively sought him out, recognising a commander who might forge something greater from the orphaned and scattered loyalists who fought in the shadow of Icarion’s counterfeit empire. As before, his resolve and mettle placed him in good stead, and the Twenty-Sixth would repay many times over the hurt inflicted upon them.

Cataphracti Terminator Armour

Power maul

Storm bolter

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sun Wuzhao- Loyalist Warriors of Peace Commander and Leader of the Vermilion Tigers (WIP)

Sun Wuzhao was one of the few loyal Warriors of Peace commanders that stayed with the Imperium. He was known for wearing tiger skin on his power armor and his courage on the battlefield brought him accolades and rose in the ranks from a captain to a chapter master. Born on Terra, he fought in many engagements over the course of the Great Crusade, but rarely fought in huge battles that his legion fought in. Instead, he was used in smaller engagements that involved petty bandits or Imperial rebels that seek their own independence. Being isolated from the main legion for periods of a time, he did not get see his own Primarch as his superior, but the Emperor of Mankind. What indoctrination the Jade General did to the legion were unsuccessful to him and his brothers of his chapter as they sided with the Emperor and not the Primarch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I more story written for this character and the chapter, but not a lot. 

Edited by ShadowSwordmaster

• 1 month later...

Big ol' thought here: what are the Insurrectionists doing with the Loyalist gene-seed they take, when there isn't an Insurgo to use it? 

My answer would be: Chimerae, but on a far greater scale than in the Heresy, and regimented, emerging a few years into the Insurrection.

What should we call the individual forces? I count WoL, Scions Hospitaliers, CL and Iron Bears as the Legions whose gene-seed would get this treatment.

Edited by bluntblade

We should probably establish a few Companies/Chapters(?) and what gene-seed each one is grown from first before we start suggesting names, as that and the inherited characteristics will likely inform the names, that is unless we decide to give them more nondescript designations to represent their lesser, disposable status as compared to the proper Insurrectionist Marines.

So we're going for some chimearic companies given birth by Scions, Bears, Lions and Wardens geneseed?

Give the sign and my name generator brain will start rolling. ;)

I'd recommend against using the geneseed of the Wardens of Light, or any with Pariah genes

But yeah, I still need convincing that Kozja would be spreading these out before getting to the Suzerainty (plus one of my units are Legio Genesis prototypes... which is essentially Chimaeric Geneseed dudesmen)

I would argue that we do the opposite, that these are created by someone other than Kozja and are a stark contrast to the genesis prototypes. Where the Genesis lot are the result of clinical scientific experimentation and are elite forces that try to avoid drawing attention, the other Chimerae are more widespread but also more mistrusted, unstable and expendable. They can also be used specificaly to mock the Loyalists (who undertake campaigns specificaly to eliminate them) and draw attention away from the aforementioned Genesis troops.

The thing is, Genesis prototypes are already unstable to some extent. The project will only come to fruition a millenium later, and is directly involved in the death of Kozja, and the worst civil war within the Suzerainty (War of the False Primarch) - these are all things because we can't flat out say Kozja is better than the Emperor in the field of genetics (*glares at Belisarius*).

If it's essentially the same principle as chimeric gene-seed of the Blackshields in canonverse, I'd be ok, but basically don't go overboard with it.

If you want to go with the "expendable" aspect, I'd suggest looking at the Inductii again ?