- Traitor Halcyon Wardens under Malis
- About 40% of the Dune Serpents turning traitor
- The Morning Stars, most of the Void Eagles' Terran membership
- The Ember Host, exiled psykers of the Fire Keepers
- Traitor Bears? I remember Redd saying something

Blackshields
- Former Eagle Warriors under Takar
- Wardens of Light who get impatient and declare for the Loyalists
- Initially, the remnants of the Shepherds of Eden (time of shattering TBC)

General Renegades
- Turrus and friends, lurking on the verge of the Maelstrom
- Vizhenko, last seen meeting Turrus
- The remaining followers of Hennasohn, assuming there are any left after Morro ascends

Anyone I've missed?

Edited by Lord Thørn

Heres this Blunt.

The fallen Iron Bears

Updated fluff: The Naagolshii Shaman are often looked down upon in the Shaman circles, for they do not command the might of storms to destroy cities or end battles, nor do they see into the future with crystal clarity and change the minds and will of other with ease. No, they change their flesh into something bestial, raw, brutal beasts of war. And in doing so they corrupt the most sacred gift from the Sky Father, the flesh of an Astartes.

The Wendiigo are selected from those that prove to be too violent, their lust for war goes well beyond art and into perversion. It is these low recruits, that the most debased act, the worst gift is used, they eat the flesh of our enemies to know their tactics. After time the Windego either become a great asset or burden to the legion, master tacticians and skilled killers. Those whom become burdens, they fall for the flesh crave, they often sharpen their teeth to match our enhanced canines, or replace them all with brutal monomolecular edged adamantium fangs, having permanent claw augments replace fingers. For them their is only flesh, war, a devouring lust, and blood.

Upon the death of Daer'dd and the reveal of the Chaos Pantheon the Naagolshii and Wendiigo met in secret clamoring together whom they could, always looked down upon by the other Bears they sought kinship in each other, and truth from the Gods. In a small but violent action almost a thousand Naagloshii and three thousand Wendiigo took over a strike cruiser and seven frigates while the legion was scattered. These four thousand traitors found their way to the Eye of Terror where they disappeared for two Terran years, for them it had been much longer. The Naagloshii found truth with Tzeench and it's ways of change and magica. Whilst the Wendiigo found their way into the service of Khorne. Both gods granted them much, many gifts and ascensions given. Yet through all this glory they still shared a kinship with each other. When they reemerged, their ships were crystalline and deep blue, edged with razor sharp copper, they were arcane war machines. The traitors were now clad in armour once the power armour of the Astartes now it was arcane and shaped by dark powers. They wore their armour in deep indigos and cobalts, their gauntlets and grieves still bore Hurionian copper but now drenched in the blood of a thousand wars. At their front were three leaders U'nas the God Eater, a titanic Daemon Prince shaped in the unholy union of Gorilla and Bat, his flesh was grey and brown, he walked on fearsome clawed hands and feet, he wears limited armour only covering what is vital. Then there is Naagloshii Ecko'chi Wildkin his six wings to mock Aandeg, he appears little more than a wraith draped in deep blue robes leaning on his tall pole blade his feet not touching the ground, but this is just one shape, one if thousands for him. And third an outsider, Nosliigae the Unbound, an Astartes thought to have died on His homeworld of Prospero. For now they are united as one warband, The Eaters of the Sacred Flesh.

• 1 month later...

The Cocidii could probably count as something similar to blackshields, the only difference being they are still part of their legion.

Cocidii Warbands

While Crimson Lions normally relish the brotherhood of the clans, there are some sons of Hectarion whose wild spirits are too wild and whose hearts yearn too much for freedom. While the belligerence of their youth may have been mastered, the hankering that these souls feel to be free of the constraints of the legion's structure and to simply fight when and where they please is too strong for them to conquer. So it is that these souls choose the path of the Cocidos, the wandering warrior, never settling, always moving, heading wherever their hearts take them and beholden to the orders of no one save themselves, their primarch and the Emperor.

While some legions may baulk at the idea of absolving astartes of their place within the chain of command and simply letting them loose, the Crimson Lions know that to try and prevent these warriors from following their heart's desires will do nothing but invite discord into their battle line. So these free souls are let loose to prosecute the Great Crusade by themselves. However, there are some who choose the wanderer's path for other reasons. Sometimes a warriot who is the last survivor of his squad will choose to leave the bonds of his clan and seek out a glorious death in the stars, other times a warrior simply dislikes the company of others. Yet no matter their reasons, all who choose the wanderer's path are free to go where they please and war against whichever foes of the Emperor they please.

Among these wandering warriors it is a common custom among the Cocidii to band together into warbands of like minded souls as they wander the stars. Notoriously disregarding of authority save their own, these warbands are unpredictable and unlike the clans there is no single authority figure. Instead, ever warrior in a warband is equal and thet can come and go as they wish from a warband or a warzone. While this makes them less than popular with many forces, these warriors care not as they are free to roam where they choose. What warrior could wish for more?

I'd count them as just part of the Lions. We already have a lot to keep track of in here.

I'm also going to go ahead and add the Shadow Hands, former Warbringers who desert not just the Insurrectionists but their own Legion, denouncing Kozja's scheme as futile and arrogant.

Would like to add the following:

Traitors:

The Bloodlords

Deriving from the deep swamps of their homeworld of Mardum, these members of the XXth Legion never made the attempt to lay down their old habits and rituals of their ancestors. The tribes of the Mardumian swamps were known and feared for their dark belief. Rumours of them still practising blood rituals and other insidious traditions quickly spread among the rest of the Legion until their gene father Andezo Sambedi was forced to act. Censuring the whole Bloodlord tribe, he sends them on a penitent campaign under the watchful eye of one of his closest brothers, Alexos Travier. It was him, who offered his help in dealing with the rebellious tribe.

Attached to the ranks of the Eagle Warriors, the Bloodlords shall learn discipline and to follow the Imperial Truth. Unknown by Andezo, it was not his beloved brother, who offered his help. It was a more sinister being.

Soon, the Bloodlords learned the ways of the Dark Gods and openly celebrated their ancient beliefs. Blood sacrifices, dark magic, mighty tokens and even cannibalism made their way back to the sons of Mardum. Through their bloody beliefs, they soon heard voices from beyond, ordering them to slay and murder. It did not take long until Chieftain Odanka and his man gave into the whispers, opening their souls to the entities of chaos. The Bloodlords were reborn into the service of Khorne. Odanka, now known as the Devourer, led his men at the side of Travier until they finally met their former brothers of the Predators Legion during the siege of Terra.

The Helriders

When news about the betrayal and deaths of Leman Russ and his brother Magnus reached the wider Imperium, the remaining sons of the Wolf King were shocked. None could believe that their father had done such an atrocity. Nevertheless, they followed orders as they wanted to prove their worth and loyalty, hoping to safe at least something of their honour. Split between the IIIrd and VIth Legion, they had nowhere else to go. With their Primarch and the majority of their Legion dead and their homeworld burned down, the stoic Wolves joined their new comrades. Most of them adapted quickly to the new circumstances and became important parts within their new Legions. But some abhorred the fact that they had to give up everything which made them sons of the Wolf King. Some wanted to find out the truth. Even if that meant to turn their backs on the Imperium. These renegades soon gathered under the single rule of Krom Thunderlord, a former high ranking Rune Priest. Krom and his men travelled across the entire Imperium until the Insurrection began. As they met the Stormborn himself per accident, he offered them to find clarity and a new purpose in exchange of their fealty. Reborn as Helriders, the renamed Krom Warcaller led them against their former comrades. The Imperium had to pay for what they had done to the legacy of Russ. As they believed in the Emperor ordering his most potent and individual sons to be killed, the Helriders would not stop until the Imperium would burn for their crimes.

Blackshields:

The Rout (name not 100% decided; other possible names: Sons of Russ, Wolves of Fenris, Truthseekers, Dark Wolves)

When the Legions of the Space Wolves and the Thousand Sons met their demise for reasons unknown, the remaining forces of the Vlka Fenryka were split to bolster the ranks of the Crimson Lions and the Iron Bears Legions. Attached to the 2nd Grand Wartribe under Ezibiknh, they fought fiercely for the good of the Imperium. But rumours still reached them. Rumours about a great betrayal from one of the other Legions. Rumours which could not be ignored. Shortly after the Insurrection began, the so called Nightwolves under Veljar Nightwolf were tasked to hunt down a renegade band of their own kind, the Helriders. It was a fierce and brutal campaign but the Helriders finally met their end by the blades of the loyal sons of Russ. Nevertheless, doubts lodged themselves within the rout of Veljar. Knowing that they would not be allowed to find out more about their Primarchs end, the Nightwolves abandoned their deeds and oaths, searching across the stars for answers. Months later, reports came in about a black clad force of wild Astartes warriors accompanied by large and ferocious beasts, fighting against the forces of the Stormborn. Furthermore, other forces once belonging to the IInd Legion disappeared from the ranks of the IIIrd and VIth Legion. As it seems, the Nightwolves were gathering their brothers and were still loyal to the Imperium but nothing would stop them until they would found out the truth.

Cancelled. They will stay within the 2nd Gran Wartribe and will be a supporting force against the Helriders in the article about House Harkon.

The Phantom Blades (very rough plot) - Either Dune Serpents or loyal Predators.

While 40% of their parent Legion, the Dune Serpents, joined forces with the Stormborn, the force known as the Phantom Blades choose to follow its own path. Since then, they fought against Loyalists and Traitors alike.

Edited by Kelborn

Black Hand

Brother Anakiev, member of the Fellowship of the Shadow Hand warband. Unlike most Blackshields, the Shadow Hands keep their names openly, turning back on their legion but not on their identity. The Shadow Hand fellowship should not be confused with the Black Hand brotherhood, an offshoot of the former who kept its allegiance to the Stormlord. Both warbands would be destroyed by their original legion, the Warbringers, during the times of the Scouring.

Edited by Skalpynock

The survivors could find refuge in the Nightguard.

Would that be a condition of the alliance that any loyal Blackshields be handed over, or would they be discreetly hunted down by the Secessionists?

Edited by bluntblade

Just some general info on Turrus' warband. There are only 40 "trueborns" in hs warband, the other 2000 or so are all half-breeds. Half-breeds were generally made using a mix of Crimson Lion gene-seed and that of another legion, normally LB given that Turrus is in the Maelstrom, or an experimental Crimsin Lion strain which Turrus has modified.

The principal targets of their raids are ships carrying space marine equipment or ships carrying space marines(whose gene-seed they can take and whose wargear they can recycle).

Edited by Sigismund229

• 3 weeks later...

"I'm here, doing what I do because I used to be one of you, believing in some great cause which I'd die for. Then one day I died and woke up to find no one could be bothered to kick me into a fresh hell. Had to make do with this one.

So I dragged myself up and all I saw was this mountain of rats and hyaenas and vultures and they were gnawing, gouging, packing more corpses into the pile, fighting to stand at the top and every creature that reached the top saw every one before it die, become another corpse in the mountain and still they came on dying to reach the top or dying at the top and you couldn't see what the mountain had been before the vermin started, and then I blinked and they were men in armour. They didn't stop being vermin though.

So we learned that was us, and we did what vermin do if they have wits. We roamed and fed and didn't care where the meat came from. And if you pretend you're any different, you're a rat who's going to die on that mountain."

- Last words of the Gokeur Marauder before his execution by the Knights Errant. Origin unknown, suspected former Void Eagle

Edit: damnit, I'm chasing the rabbit with this now. Why this had to occur to me now, with six hours before I have to get and still with things to pack and not when I was kicking my heels earlier, I'll never know. It's gonna be the intro to a Knights Errant story, I know that at least.

Edited by bluntblade

• 3 weeks later...

So, the Viper Fangs. Led by Timur the Pitiless, these warriors were reckoned callous even by the standards of the Dune Serpents, and found themselves as frequent collaborators to the Berserkers of Uran due to their mastery of chemical warfare. When Icarion began to assemble his army, the allegiance of the Viper Fangs was cautiously secured using these ties. As the largest of the cells which turned against their own Primarch, they were perfectly placed to strike at their loyal brothers. Yet so far did they descend into depravity as the rebellion progressed that, in time, "kinslayers" would merely become another of their epithets.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=E4F598&bpj=FFFFFF&bp=e4f598&bpc=e4f598&hdt=e4f598&hdm=e4f598&hdl=788784&ey=FFFFFF&er=FFFFFF&pi=FFFFFF&nk=e4f598&ch=788784&eg=C8F294&sk=C8F294&abs=e4f598&bt=030202&cod=e4f598&ull=e4f598&lk=788784&lll=e4f598&lft=e4f598&url=e4f598&rk=788784&lrl=e4f598&rft=e4f598&slt=788784&sli=C8F294&srt=788784&sri=C8F294&ula=e4f598&lel=e4f598&lla=e4f598&lw=788784&lh=e4f598&ura=e4f598&rel=e4f598&rla=e4f598&rw=788784&rh=e4f598&bg=FFFFFF&rb=403D3D&gr=788784&wg=true&be=788784&dm3=true&jmp=788784&jmph=788784&bpr=000000&cs=93AD10&krk=C8F294&spl1=533B1C&spr1=533B1C&spr2=533B1C&/spacemarine.jpg

Yellow-green= #e4f598

Grey= #788784

Green= #C8F294

Edited by bluntblade

Also, pending AO's approval, some ideas for the warband Takar of the Eagle Warriors ends up leading. Now, going back to his fluff for the Legion that was and extrapolating from what we've done since then, I'm thinking they'll retain the pride of the old Legion, and even some of Mexicatii, as a few of the generations drawn from that world were worthy Astartes and found themselves among Takar's Blackshields. Hence there's gold for the old Terran Legion, and green for Mexicatii. And on that note, I present the hypothetical Vengeful Eagles:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=545151&bpj=545151&bp=545151&bpc=545151&hdt=545151&hdm=545151&hdl=545151&ey=9C280B&er=545151&pi=050505&nk=545151&ch=545151&eg=BD9508&sk=BD9508&abs=545151&bt=0D0C0C&cod=545151&ull=545151&lk=08704f&lll=545151&lft=545151&url=545151&rk=08704f&lrl=545151&rft=545151&slt=bd9508&sli=08704F&srt=bd9508&sri=08704f&ula=545151&lel=545151&lla=bd9508&lw=545151&lh=545151&ura=545151&rel=545151&rla=bd9508&rw=545151&rh=545151&bg=FFFFFF&rb=3A4045&gr=050404&wg=true&mk6=true&hse=08704f&aq=true&lightshade=true&comi=0A0909&mk6kn=true&blt=5E5B5B&/spacemarine.jpg

Grey= #545151

Green= #08704f

Gold= #bd9508

• 3 weeks later...

Potential colour scheme for the Black Hand Brotherhood?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=FFFFFF&bpj=FFFFFF&bp=FFFFFF&bpc=FFFFFF&hdt=000000&hdm=000000&hdl=C9B322&ey=FFFFFF&er=FFFFFF&pi=FFFFFF&nk=FFFFFF&ch=FCFCFC&eg=FFFFFF&sk=FFFFFF&abs=FFFFFF&bt=C9B322&cod=FFFFFF&ull=FFFFFF&lk=000000&lll=FFFFFF&lft=FFFFFF&url=FFFFFF&rk=000000&lrl=FFFFFF&rft=FFFFFF&slt=FFFFFF&sli=000000&srt=FFFFFF&sri=000000&ula=FFFFFF&lel=C9B322&lla=000000&lw=C9B322&lh=000000&ura=FFFFFF&rel=C9B322&rla=000000&rw=C9B322&rh=000000&bg=FFFFFF&rb=474646&gr=FFFFFF&wg=true&hs=FFFFFF&cloak=8F089C&lightshade=true&loin=07E2E6&lkg1=E6B507&bpr=D6C20F&pws=true&/spacemarine.jpg