++ March of the Legions: V Legion ++

gallery_48988_10069_1214690.png

Month 15: The V Legion

If you missed last month's competition, and/or would like to learn the rules for this competition, please read the first post here: http://www.bolterand...gion/?p=3850046

If you dare to accept this challenge, please recite the following oath:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, Brother Chaplain Kage, accept my role in this.

I promise to lead the White Scars into the zone of war, and conduct them to battle.

I will do so no matter the ferocity or ingenuity of the foe.

I pledge my blade to the V Legion.

On this matter, and by the Great Khan, I swear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, Brother Pheidias, accept my role in this.

I promise to lead the White Scars into the zone of war, and conduct them to battle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been waiting for this to roll around.

• 9 months later...

The poor V Legion... forgotten on the fringes of deep space once again. We'll pick up the March here and run this to the end of May; IV Legion will begin May 1 so both IV and V completions will be due at the same time.

For the Khan!

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

I, Semper Fortis, accept my role in this.

Emperor help me, I'm not particularly confident about painting white well. And I'm not all that well informed regarding White Scars fluff (what with them hanging out so far from Terra). But I'm game to give it a shot. Y'all gotta promise not to laugh now....

There have been numerous examples of HH marines with alternate paint schemes from the basic monotone color of the Legion. If you're not great with white, only do part of the figure in it and make up reason... or don't bother with the reason and paint them how you want.

I, Brother Pheidias, accept my role in this.

Let's try again, shall we?

I, Brother Chaplain Kage, accept my role in this.

The lion jother st ordered a javelin for my siege of Terra army and it shall be for the khan!!

Swift as the wind,

Silent as the forest.

Conquer as fire.

As unshakable as the mountain.

Here, I am a son of the steppes of Chogoris.

I, the Psycho, accept my role in this.

I pledge my tulwar to the V Legion.

On this matter, and by the Khagan, I swear. 

There is no end to battle.

We shall conquer and ride eternal.

I, Grotsmasha, accept my role in this.

With a little effort I may also pick-up where I left the march and complete my Lunar Wolf....

Edited by Grotsmasha

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes...

I, StruManChu, accept my role in this.

This came at the perfect time for me. Here's hoping I can finish.

I, Lachdannan, accept my role in this.

I, apologist, accept my role in this.

+++

Not sure if it's kosher, but I'd built a White Scar marine on the 13th of April – is it okay to paint him for this? 

Apologist - Damn, dude... That guy looks brutal. I don't know how you manage to make such dynamic miniatures but still keeping everything to True Scale. It's inspiring. Thanks for your kind words too! Means a lot to get compliments from a master. :happy.:

I, Depthcharge12, accept my role in this.

+++

Was gonna do this in secret but hell, now's a good time as any...surprise! I'm starting White Scars! :D

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/941B2B5D-81E3-4528-BF92-D1FCF0AB744B_zpsj2js9kpp.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/EB1FADDB-F514-44A0-AFB7-18BFA7BB4E71_zpsydjiebou.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/7F64F9C1-F2BA-4756-802F-D39E049FCD7B_zpsbeuqiuek.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6lRb6tR.png

When I was chosen to accompany the Stormseer Yesugei on the trip to Nikea, I would meet many of my brothers from other Legions for the first time. It was given me to know that many of them shunned personal decorations on their armor, so I removed my trophies and badges to honor and respect their customs.

I had many interesting and wonderful conversations at Nikea, but the most baffling was with a trio of sergeants from the III Legion, who are so honored as to carry the personal icon of the Emperor himself. They asked to see my sword, mentioning its unusual shape, and I was delighted to show them. They smirked and made faces, pointing out spots where the marks of the hammer or the grinding wheel could be seen in the blade. When I told them I had not only made it myself, but that it had taken seven tries to get it just right, they laughed only the harder.

"Seven tries to get something this pitiful?" one of them asked. "You should leave the weaponsmithing to your techs and serfs if that is the best you can muster."

I only smiled at how little he truly understood. "It was not the best I could do," I informed him. "The first blade I was quite happy with, and there was nary a blemish to be found on it, but it took seven tries until the blade itself was happy."

He tossed my blade back to me in disgust. "Martial perfection can only be attained if your equipment is of the highest quality. You must know that you can trust in your sword."

"I do trust it, for I know it is imperfect as I am, and we shall both seek perfection together."

They let me be, continuing to laugh at my expense as they walked away, and I smiled wider at their blindness.  As the Great Khan instructs, 'Perfection should be pursued in all things, but it is only the arrogant fool who believes that it can be attained by imperfect beings'.

- Journal of Sergeant Tungkudai Segeranditu, V Legion

Seeing what I can do using only my newly acquired Mk III plastics and a custom sword. Early progress with more work to come. :smile.:

Just some more progress:

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/59EE1916-D8D9-42B1-831A-91C33B2E1A63_zpslcw3ukwf.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/A2E124BB-53FB-4FEF-8B28-3312DFC49DC6_zps44hkx2kt.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/0C50E763-C140-4941-998A-AB0E260114F4_zpsag5qiehp.jpg

+ Legionary Dawasrung +

f.jpg

e.jpg

A member of the Brotherhood of the Nine Winds, Legionary Dawasrung deployed on Dwell under the command of the Iron Hand Bion Henricos – himself a lieutenant of Shadrak Meduson – against the Sons of Horus. Henricos' force was made up mainly of Army regiments, though he could deploy a significant force of Astartes from a number of Legions; notably the Salamanders, White Scars, and Raven Guard, though the bulk were Tenth Legion. Dawasrung was involved in the attack on 'Little' Horus Aximand, part of an ambushing force led by the Sagyar Mazan Hibou Khan.

d.jpg

Not a member of that penitent group himself, Dawasrung held certain reservations about being led by Hibou; but was pragmatic enough to recognise the necessity of subsuming such hesitation. His armour thus remains unmarked by the distinctive calligraphic script of the Sagyar Mazan.

b.jpg

The symbol on his banded left pauldron is a brotherhood mark – roughly equivalent to a Chapter numeral. This example simply means '9'; a reference to the Nine Winds after which the Brotherhood is named. In this, the Brotherhood is unusually prosaic for the Vth Legion: the style is conventionally Terran.

g.jpg
Less conventional is the blade, charged with power. An example of the White Scars' wilful non-conformism, examples of the curved blade he carries are difficult to pinpoint to a single forge world owing to their non-standard nature. They are likely part of a shipment favoured by the Brotherhood of the Nine Winds – who became infamous for 'intercepting' shipments rather than communicating with their supply lines.

c.jpg
Besides the Brotherhood symbol, Dawasrung bears a squad pictograph (on the fore of his right pauldron), but scant few other markings. Of these, the broad vertical stripe on his knee – a symbol of his unwillingness to kneel – marks homage only to his Brotherhood Khan. His right bracer has the distinctive red dagged decoration common to the 5th. This is likely a personal detail, added as much for aesthetics as any specific action or philosophy. His ostentatious belt buckle – a common location for the Vth Legion to mark out heroism – shows a lightning strike in imitation of the Legion symbol; another common mark of honour.

Edited by Apologist