How to run a Medicae

Grizzly Adams

So I have decided to make my Vulkan / praetor / firedrakes in a Spartan just a little tougher by adding a primus medicae to the mix. I know he isn't a combat monster, but I feel with the right load out he could contribute in combat. I have equipped him with cataphractii armour, so he gets a free power weapon. The question is, which power weapon? I have plenty of initiative 1 Ap2 attacks, so I feel like I could take advantage of his higher than average initiative, but I just haven't had a lot of success with power swords in the past. And if I decide on sword, is a lightning claw a worthwhile use of points?

Normally in game play I split the unit up once they disembark, sending praetor and stakes one way and Vulkan another. Let's Vulkan take full advantage of his Draken Scale armour, as well as creates multiple threats.

How would you guys run your medicae in this setup?

Praetor in Terminator armour: Dragonscale storm shield; thunder hammer (master-crafted); digital lasers; Mantle of the Elder Drake 200

Primus Medicae in Terminator armour: Dragonscale storm shield; power weapon (master-crafted) 140

5 Firedrake Terminators: Firedrake Master (Dragonscale storm shield; master-crafted thunder hammer); 4 Firedrake Terminators; 4 × Dragonscale storm shield; 2 × chainfist; 2 × thunder hammer 350

Spartan Assault Tank: auxiliary drive; armoured ceramite; flare shield; dozer blade 385

Vulkan 425

Heres the main question you should ask: What is your Squad and by extension Primus, going to be punching the most?

If the answer is 2+ Saves with an invulnerable, why take Ap3 Weapons? And if its not such a unit, why not just invest in cheaper regular terminators with ap3/4 weapons?

And due to the Primus weapon change in the new Generic Legion Book, its pretty much Thunder Hammer or bust at this point for the Primus.

Well, the thunder hammer is one of the better options now since the primus lost access to Fists (power and chain) as well as dual claws meaning if you want Sx2 Ap2, its your only option.

Power axe is fine and if you don't give him a shield ( Why would you not?) he still gets +1A for having 2CCW since he keeps his Needle Pistol when in TDA.

Yeah he is for certain getting the shield, for the points it's a no brainer. So really I think you are right slipstreams, ap3 is a waste of time, either budget with the axe or spend 20 and let him swing a hammer like his daddy does.

If you're bringing Vulkan, why take a Praetor? You could save a lot of points and add another squad/tank your force.

You could run Primarch's Chosen and skip the HQ entirely. The new Vet costs make them very attractive!

I take the praetor cause I typically run the Covenant of Fire, and he really makes the drakes something special. I typically break Vulkan off and run him on his own once they disembark, and send the praetor and the drakes off on their own.

Archived