The Black Reaches (DW) - OOC

Cryptix

Yeah, we're just using standard DW rules (including allowing a DH in the campaign). We just made a few house rules to make sure Inellia made sense.

Yeah, we're just using standard DW rules (including allowing a DH in the campaign). We just made a few house rules to make sure Inellia made sense.

About that, I would like to mention how underpowered my bolter is again. There is  fluff that says the Sisters equipment is the equal of the Astartes. I'm not going to dispute your decision, I just wanted to make sure and bring it to your attention. If you think I'll be OK, then I'll go with your decision.

For the record, I'd rather modify the Godwyn-De'az pattern's stats rather than just have an "Astartes Bolter"

I assume y'all are going to be using the Errata for Deathwatch which rebalances the damage profiles on pretty much every weapon? (can be found on the FFG website)

I assume y'all are going to be using the Errata for Deathwatch which rebalances the damage profiles on pretty much every weapon? (can be found on the FFG website)

I haven't looked at it, but official erratas are more or less mandatory as far as I'm concerned, so I'm assuming yes.

Edit: Says the modified weapon stats are optional. So I don't know.

Obviously, we await Cryptix's judgement.

Errata, yes.  

And I'll have a look at the sister's bolter. God oh god why did I keep everything on the kindle that got stolen.

Godwyn-De'az Pattern Bolter (Blood of Martyrs pg 114) Class:Basic Range:90m RoF:S/2/- Dam:1d10+5 X Pen:4 Rld:Full Special:Reliable, Tearing Wt:6kg Cost:1000 Availability:Very Rare

It's not that it should have all the gizmos that an Astartes Bolter has (which don't really have much rules context anyway), but there is (what I think is) a strong argument for equal power, while having a somewhat smaller size.

And I'm sorry to hear about you kindle.

Errata, yes.

And I'll have a look at the sister's bolter. God-Emperor oh God-Emperor why did I keep everything on the kindle that got stolen.

Godwyn-De'az Pattern Bolter (Blood of Martyrs pg 114) Class:Basic Range:90m RoF:S/2/- Dam:1d10+5 X Pen:4 Rld:Full Special:Reliable, Tearing Wt:6kg Cost:1000 Availability:Very Rare

It's not that it should have all the gizmos that an Astartes Bolter has (which don't really have much rules context anyway), but there is (what I think is) a strong argument for equal power, while having a somewhat smaller size.

And I'm sorry to hear about you kindle.

Fixed your first post for you. I shall submit myself to additional penance for my dereliction of duty in taking so long to catch your mistake. tongue.png But seriously, I am sorry to hear about your kindle.

I say we just swap out your bolter for an astartes storm bolter (or whatever the inquisitorial equivalent is).

Well, Ascension has the Ryza-pattern Storm Bolter, and BoM has the Godywyn-De'az pattern Storm Bolter. Interestingly, these both have a S/2/4 Rof (as opposed to the S/4/- RoF the Astartes Storm Bolter has), which makes getting 4 hits easier. I think I will pass on the Astartes weapon, for both fluff reasons, and because it's so heavy (but I guess it's possible I'll change my mind). The Godwyn-De'az pattern weighs 3kg more than the Ryza, but gains the Reliable quality. For fluff, I would like to take the De'az pattern. I'll review my character sheet and look at my equipment weight (which is the biggest issue here, since my SB is only 4 with my power armour on, since Sororitas Power Armour only gives +10S, for some unfathomable reason, but I won't ask to change that - don't want to be whiny tongue.png) and get you a preliminary decision. I won't rush making it absolutely final until it looks like we are ready to start.

Oh, and I was considering a meltagun as an alternative to a bolter as well.

Edit: but for the moment - to the brushes! Away!

Also sorry to hear about your Kindle.

By the way, would it be possible for my character to take a deed? 'The Price of Victory' looks especially promising for an Iron Hand, and also fits thematically with the background I selected for him (Siege of Gantor Terentes), as it states that the fighting caused my character to acquire new bionics, and so would be fitting.

Hum. The problem with the non-astartes bolt weapons remains with the Storm Bolters I mentioned earlier. Each individual shot does 4 less dammage than an Astartes bolt shot, which will make it difficult for me to do any damage to the tougher enemies. At the same time, Inellia could not carry her Armour and an Astartes Storm Bolter at the same time without taking an Agility penalty.

Would you be willing to let me have a light weight Astartes Storm Bolter? I don't like to be a pest, but really, this is kinda silly. A bolter shell should be a bolter shell (so, the same standard damage), and I don't want to be left hoping for Righteous Fury during combat.

Trust in the Emperor, and He will provide.

Absolutely! I see I may not have to purge you after all . . .

I do have to confess that I have another person more or less whispering in my ear (ie. giving me advice since I asked them) about this campaign, and they are quite worried about the damage differential. I am inclined to take them at their word, since they have experience in FFG RPGs where I do not.

As I have said before, I will abide with Cryptix's decision, regardless.

"RETORT: YOU COULD TRY TO PURGE ME. THE MACHINE ENDURES."

(with 22 damage soak...)

My faith can overcome any obstacle.

(and my Inferno Pistol has Pen 12, so there goes your armour)

Lets see. If I really wanted you dead (or at least make you burn a Fate Point), I would burn a Fate Point and spend a Fate Point myself after hitting you with my Inferno Pistol to automatically do 26+1d10+1d5 E damage at Pen 12 with the possibility for more (since that Burned Fate point activated Righteous Fury, and +2 for Mighty Shot). If I roll a 4+ for the 1d10+1d5 damage, then you go into crits, and take an additional +2 to the critical damage. Unfortunately, that still doesn't give me a great chance of one shoting you. (I need 10+ critical damage to put you down regardless of hit location, so that 1d10+1d5 has to be 11+ (4 would be one critical damage, but I add 2 to critical damage).

I would have a 30% chance of one shoting you by burning 1 and spending 1 Fate point (if I hit you in the Arm or Leg),  40% if I hit you in the body, and 50% if I hit you in the head. The percentages do not account for the possibility of further Righteous Fury damage. So you are right. Your machine endures. Now I know that I'll just have to call in a Squad of the Order of the Valorous Heart Dominions if the need for a purge arises . . .

I'm sure Inellia will get along with Kharvox just fine, in any case. It was just fun to see what she could do if pressed. Imagine if she got her hands on a Multi-melta . . .

Speaking of multi-meltas, there is a piece in the First Founding book that describes an Iron Hands Devastator Squad augmented to duel-wield them.

Two multi-meltas. Each.

WHERE ARE YOUR SISTERS NOW?!

Dear lord how do they even handle the heat...of....

Oh right Iron Hands. Well :cuss.

Speaking of multi-meltas, there is a piece in the First Founding book that describes an Iron Hands Devastator Squad augmented to duel-wield them.

Two multi-meltas. Each.

WHERE ARE YOUR SISTERS NOW?!

Sigh. That would do it.

Your faith is still inadequate. tongue.png

I'm considering the Mars Pattern Mark III Sunfury Assault Plasma Gun (Inquisitor's Handbook page 174, and in the apendix page 251).

Plasma Basic 30m S/2/- 1d10+10E Pen:7 Clip:10 Rld:2Full Overheats, Recharge 12kg

The short range is definitely a concern, but I'm hoping we won't be charging into combat from 100m away very often anyway.

And am I reading the way range works correctly? Do weapons fire normally (no penalty) up to two times their listed range?

If I do take a Mark III Sunfury, weight becomes (once again) an issue. In that case I would like to trade my Best Craftsmanship Chainsword for a Power Blade (standard craftsmanship) since it weighs 4.5kg less. Yes, I am that strapped for space.

Even then, I will only be able to carry 1 reload for the Sunfury, 2 for my Inferno Pistol, and 1 Frag Grenade (or 2 more Inferno Pistol reloads). If I carry 2 reloads for the Sunfury, I can't carry the grenade or any reloads for the Inferno Pistol. Quite a conundrum.

And, while it is not active, it will make a nice addition to Inellia's interrogation tools (no rules context, of course, just some nice fluff synergy).

Edit: Maybe a meltagun is the way to go . . .

And another quick rules question from a noob: As far as I can tell, armour (even power armour) counts toward the maximum weight you can carry, and does not give you any "unnatural strength" or anything (beyond a flat +20 (+10 in my case) Strength. I'm not missing anything, am I?

Thanks!

Archived