30k strength d rules

Theredknight

And that's the biscuit, they are available in lacal, the main argument is that 'well why would it not be in the new book if it's not still in use'

I shall email forgeworlds for what it's worth.

When a game is time constrained, rules questions are short, as 10 minutes book digging may mean that you don't get to finish your game.

In retrospect, I can see that 30k is spread, but much of LACAL has been superseded, dreads, quad launchers etc so it's reasonable to assume that this also has been, and the rule has been removed from the big books for a few editions.

Remember, when written, they were written in 6th ed

Me personally, I'd play the AOD d rules, but many other don't agree.

And that's the biscuit, they are available in lacal, the main argument is that 'well why would it not be in the new book if it's not still in use'

When a game is time constrained, rules questions are short, as 10 minutes book digging may mean that you don't get to finish your game.

In retrospect, I can see that 30k is spread, but much of LACAL has been superseded, dreads, quad launchers etc so it's reasonable to assume that this also has been, and the rule has been removed from the big books for a few editions.

The fact there is room for interpretation is less than ideal. But yeah it's going to be 1 of those where for people who have a plethora of D weapons will want it as crazy and overpowered as possible because pew pew and all that jazz

The fact there is room for interpretation is less than ideal. But yeah it's going to be 1 of those where for people who have a plethora of D weapons will want it as crazy and overpowered as possible because pew pew and all that jazz

I prefer a fun game to the 40k style of games tbh, it's why we all moved over to 30k, gw rules staff aren't capable of writing fun sensible ones anymore IMO (after meeting them in person it once cemented my feeling of this)

But yes, there shouldn't be any room to interpret it. As I say I'd prefer the 30k ones even if I am playing d weapons simply because they are regular, gw just copy and pasted the d rules from the apoc book lazily.

Problem is at a 3k game it has massive knock on effects and lords of war are freely available. It's not playing apoc where you can absorb the damage until you deal with it, it's generally a rounded list that get splatted by eldar d weapon templates or other things.

I feel your pain with those things, I mean I don't mind D weapons existing, it's a fact of life but at the very least they should be costing a bucketload of points for what they do and even more for the delivery platform. Like a Falchion costs a pretty wedge because it's mounted on a super heavy tank. Yeah it's durable but it can be shot the :cuss out of from the length of the board because it's visible. What about little eldar platforms? not as sturdy but god help getting close enough to actually put them down when they comfortably sit at the back of the board lobbing barrage D everywhere

Titans are crazy no matter what rules you use for them. FW has done a good job balancing the game around 2000-3000 points, but beyond that I'm not really sure. A Falchion or a pair of knights with D weapons in a 3000 point army is something most people can deal with. Once you start bringing titans with easy access to D weapons things just kinda fall apart.

You think?

There's a guy that regularly brings Turbo and Tormentor and a different bro with a double laser warhound in my normal play group. Maybe I'm just used to them by now and they don't seem quite so bad. I wouldn't suggest it as standard, but I have dog piled that warhound with Castellax and rending Thallax before. The following D-Blast death throws were a little rough, but still worth it laugh.png

They seem to be like most super heavies, as in they're shooty, but they don't stand up to concentrated firepower so well, especially at 3500+ when both players have pretty nasty stuff available in good numbers. A super heavy is just a huge chunk of your points that narrows your opponent's required target saturation choices considerably. Like that Warhound with double lasers felt nasty when the guy first bought it until Imperial Fist heavy support lascannons happened to it.

We still use the 40 k d rules. Haven't had a real issue with them. One guy likes a few knights with his ba. I've just sent my leviathan or gravewardens in and punched them out. The explosion hurts but it is fun.

Optional Age of Darkness Rule :  Destroyer Weapons 

In Age of Darkness battles , players may opt to reduce the power of Destroyer ( Strength D )  weapons by introducing a random elmeent to moderate their effect on play in smaller games. If doing so , it should be agreed upon by all parties openly before play begins.  If this option is chosen use the following amended rules for Destroyer weapons.

Destroyer Weapons count as being strength 10  and have the Instant Death , Sunder  and Ignores Cover special Rules. 
In addition , successful invulnerable saves taken against hits from destroyer weapons must be re-rolled.

Each unsaved wound from a destroyer weapon inflicts D3+1 wounds. 

Each Penetrating hit from a destroyer weapon causes D3 +1 hullpoints/ rolls once on the appropriate Vehicle Damage Chart. 

Old Redbook. page 9   Middle Right hand side of the page. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amusingly enough These adjusted rules for Destroyer weapons seem to be much kinder to Infantry than Vehicles atleast at my reading of them. 
I dont really care its usually my opponents preference as to if we run these or not.  It has been my experience that folks would rather run the rulebook ones in my circles. The fact that they have always been optional has led to just that sort of conversation happening.  

The reasoning my friends tend to use is that, yea deathblow is insane , but if you roll a 1 your very expensive model is not doing much of anything that turn.   Which  in the cast of things such as the Falchion  or that super heavy fortification with the turbo laser on it , unfortunate. 

The exclusion of it from the new Legion List book   and the fact that they stressed just how optional it was  makes me think its omission is intentional.  I dunno though to each their own.  

Archived