zewl's AdMech army: Painting blog

zewl

Hello

I have followed this site for a while, and I thought it was time for me to share my army smile.png

This is not my first army, I started with Grey Knights 3 years ago, and added some Inquisition, army around 2500p.
​I also have a second army, Necrons around 2500p.

​Then AdMech was released and I was totally sold!
I went with the Mars scheme, cause I think the red looks good.
I have painted both Skitarii and Cult mechanicus, its a slow process, so dont hold your breath between updates msn-wink.gif

I will start this blog with the squad Im about to finish, some Ruststalkers.
I might post all the other models I have painted for this army so far, hope you like, and plese comment smile.png

20160801 175521

20160801 175508

20160801 175446

20160801 175426

20160801 175414

Admech army:

Painted
​20 Vanguards
20 Rangers
​6 Kataphron Destroyers
3 Onager Dunecrawlers
​1 Tech-Priest (Forgeworld model)
1 Tech-Priest Dominus

​5 Ruststalkers
5 Infiltrators
2 Datasmiths
​2 Sydonian Dragoons/Ironstriders
4 Kastelan Robots

Assambled:
​3 Sydonian Dragoons/Ironstriders

5 Infiltrators
5 Ruststalkers

1 Cerastus Knight-Atrapos
1 Balisarius Cawl

Not assambled:

20 Vanguard/Rangers I plan to use upgrade kits from forgeworld os these dudes

1 Tech-Priest Enginseer

1 Tech-Priest Dominus

Welcome to the B&C, your red looks good on your models I'll be looking forward to seeing more thumbsup.gif What basing scheme will you be using?

Many thanks! :)

The basing its also Mars'ish, the bases are right behind the models msn-wink.gif

I bought some watchs parts pieces, gear, cog, wheel and such, to make them a bit more forge world'ish biggrin.png

Sounds good, they'll look like they're taken from GW pictures at this rate! msn-wink.gif Post up your other models too don't forget, do you have some plans for future work?

Hehe, thanks! As I said, sometimes it´s a slow process :)

​I will upload pictures of the other units at some point :)

​So far I have:

​20 Vanguards

20 Rangers

​6 Kataphron Destroyers

3 Onager Dunecrawlers

​2 Techpriests (1 forgeworld model)

​5 Ruststalkers (Almost :P)

All painted, besides that I have assambled:

​2 Sydonian Dragoon

4 Kastelan Robots

2 Datasmiths

10 Infiltrators

And not assambled:

3 Ironstriders, I might mix between Ballistarii and Draoon for variation.

30 Vanguard/Rangers, I think I will wait with these, and see what forge world are up to, with the new upgrade kit.

1 Techpriest

​I think that was it, I might have forgot something, but i will leave a teaser for what to come it the future ;)

20160727 172040

So here is my 3 Onager Dunecrawlers.
​All magnetized, the heavy stubber can come off, but I have not painted the phosphor blaster and icarus array yet.
I dont know why, but they look very bright on the pictures smile.png
​Base color is khorne red.
I also decided not to use the bases, because I think they are stupid and ridiculous big.
All I have played against thinks its totally fine.

20160802 174202

20160802 174100

20160802 174227

20160802 173942

You even painted the Vengeance Batteries like GW does it.blink.png

Which is not really a critic, as the GW models looks really nice, and as WarriorFish said, love the blue.

Haha! xD

​Yea, they are in the background, I could take some pictures of them too :)

​I would have painted them red, but i thought that would look boring so I looked at the box, and I mixed some colors and aimed for that scheme.

Good looking stuff - a very clean and nice looking army. I will be looking forward to a few army shots as well. If you get the time, do post a bit about your choice of paint and technique, I think many fellow adepts will be interested in those. 

Increase production rate for the glory of Mars!

Good looking stuff - a very clean and nice looking army. I will be looking forward to a few army shots as well. If you get the time, do post a bit about your choice of paint and technique, I think many fellow adepts will be interested in those.

Increase production rate for the glory of Mars!

Lovely models, your colours are the spitting image of GW's it seems! I like the blue on the weapons in particular, your army must look great on the table top - any chance of an army shot? thumbsup.gif

​Yes, I think I can manage some pictures og the entire army smile.png

​As I paint the next think for the army, I will post some WIP and the techniques I use.

And here are the Kataphron Destroyers.

​All magnetized, both weapons.

The pictures a much better this time, not to bright.

20160802 181039

20160802 181051

20160802 181126

20160802 182824

20160802 181208

20160802 182908

20160802 183126

Excellent job all around! I'm a sucker for a good glow effect and you've nailed it here. The lines on your models are super crisp too. And is that Martian Ironearth I spy on the bases? msn-wink.gif

Excellent job all around! I'm a sucker for a good glow effect and you've nailed it here. The lines on your models are super crisp too. And is that Martian Ironearth I spy on the bases? ;)

Thanks for comment! :)

No its actually Agrellan Earth, washed with Reikland Fleshshade and Fuegan Orange, finished off with a light dry brush Ushabti bone, it's great and makes a good contrast, I think the Martian Iron earth is to red for my taste, with all the red on the models It would be a bit to much red I think.

Don't get me wrong it's still a great paint!

Your models are great, I still wonder if you didn't just steal them from GW though - the scheme is perfect! :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing the army shot now :tu:

Thanks for comment! :)

Dammit, you got me... Hehe

No as I said it's a slow process, but it's worth it I'm really happy about the result every time :)

And if I don't like it, I start all over, that's how my brain work xD

The cream colour looks really nice. How did you manage that? I decided to make mine lighter by using Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh and it was horrible. I'm considering a white undercoat for those sections from now on.

Nice army coming along! I went with the Mars scheme too.

I hear ya on the Onager bases, they are ginormous. I used them just to stay legal and protect the legs from damage.

Are you working towards War Convocation with these guys?

The cream colour looks really nice. How did you manage that? I decided to make mine lighter by using Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh and it was horrible. I'm considering a white undercoat for those sections from now on.

Thanks for comment :)

Glue bits on the base.

Prime the base black.

Add Agrellan earth.

A thin layer of Reikland fleshshade all over the base, to tone it down.

Add random thick layers of Reikland fleshshade on some parts, let it dry.

Add random layers of Fuegan orange on some parts, let it dry.

These to shades work well together on these bases.

I take the Reikland fleshshade again and add where I want the base a bit darker orange/red, let it dry.

Dry brush with Ushabti bone.

Paint bits.

And you are done :) 

Nice army coming along! I went with the Mars scheme too.

I hear ya on the Onager bases, they are ginormous. I used them just to stay legal and protect the legs from damage.

Are you working towards War Convocation with these guys?

Thanks for comment :)

Yes I am working towards a War Convocation ;)

Im not working at some specific list at this point, I like to have some variation

Shameless plug of my own work:

Magnetized onager base.

Thanks, if I at some point have to use the bases, I will have that in mind.

That's a nice colour scheme with the bases, it's quite similar to how I base my models, but I was more curious how you got the cream colour on your models. The legs of the Dunecrawlers are the best example. The Mars colour scheme has Zandri Dust as the basecoat and I tried it with Rakarth Flesh. I even used XV88 to make the Rakarth Flesh application better. Then I put on a wash and used Pallid Wych Flesh highlights. I don't know if the studio used a white undercoat for the legs or whether Zandri Dust is more forgiving that Rakarth Flesh for a basecoat.

I think I'm going to weather my first Onager a bit more so the difference in technique won't be as obvious. :p

That's a nice colour scheme with the bases, it's quite similar to how I base my models, but I was more curious how you got the cream colour on your models. The legs of the Dunecrawlers are the best example. The Mars colour scheme has Zandri Dust as the basecoat and I tried it with Rakarth Flesh. I even used XV88 to make the Rakarth Flesh application better. Then I put on a wash and used Pallid Wych Flesh highlights. I don't know if the studio used a white undercoat for the legs or whether Zandri Dust is more forgiving that Rakarth Flesh for a basecoat.

I think I'm going to weather my first Onager a bit more so the difference in technique won't be as obvious. tongue.png

Sorry, I thought it was the bases you asked for :)

​I will get back to you with a tutorial when I start painting the Ironstriders, I will use the same colors for them.

​But a mix off these, Rakarth flesh, Ushabti bone, US Brown 71.026 vallejo, Pallid wych flesh, Seraphim sepia, Agrax earthshade, Warplock bronze.

Now to the finished Ruststalkers, I chose the dual sword because they look awesome :D

​And some pictures of the Vengeance Batteries

20160804 115640

20160804 114321

20160804 114515

20160804 114245

20160804 115857

20160804 115910

20160804 115920

20160804 115927

20160804 120006

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update! smile.png

​I bought this bad boy a few months back, and now his assembled, YAY!
​I started with Loctite Power Epoxy, its a bit slower to dry then Super Glue.
I had to surrender to the Super Glue in the end, the Epoxy was way to slow, I had to hold the pieces together for a few minutes at times, and I was going nuts.
I had the idea for a walking pose, not to dramatic, and I think it turned out very well.

20160828 134424 001

20160828 134442

20160828 134448

20160828 134514

I also used a lot of magnets!

20160830 173952

20160830 174032

20160830 174142

20160830 174309

This is a temporary solution, all these magnets keeps the hull together, until I get the pilot and seat painted.

​So the hull, arms and weapons are very flexible! Very happy I did this, and its much easier to transport.

20160830 174821

20160830 174916

​All in all very cool and awesome model, but his is not painted yet and I have some other thinks I want to paint first, so he have to wait smile.png
​But at least I can take him to the battlefield with a painted base!

What a happy Knight!

20160830 175051

• 5 months later...

Hello!

I has been a while since last time I posted something, so to please the machine god here are some pictures of two! finished models!! ;)

20170218 095836

20170218 095642

20170218 095515

20170218 095431

My plan is to be a bit more active on my admech army, so lets see how that goes :)
I have painted some terrain, some Grey Knights, Necrons and other stuff, so thats why there has not been any update in a while. (Since august whistlingW.gif )

Next up is the robots, WIP will be posted as I go on.
After the robots, I may paint the beast Cawl, if not the new awesome Grey Knight model in March! HYPE! :D

Have a nice day!

Wow, those Datasmiths are amazing! That's a really neat paintjob and nice work on magnetizing the Kastellans at the wrist. I should have done the same myself, but I'm still a bit hesitant to hack up my models unless I know the result will work. :)

Archived