Ok my veteran yellow armour painters Im getting ready to let the sun set in Averland if you know what I'm saying ;) Anywho I've never painted yellow armour before and everything I've read, seen, or herd is basically that without an airbrush it's not gonna be a good time. Unfortunately I have no airbrush :( so any tips or tricks to make doing this with a brush less traumatic?

Yellow is super easy if you want it to be, prime white, liberally apply lamenters yellow, layer it with your preferred choice of yellow (I like Flash Gitz), then shade to taste with agrax and nuln in varying quantities on varying parts, and some more lamenters to tie it all together to finish. It's how I did the majority of my army before I got an airbrush (and still how I finish models out even with it)

@Pyroclast91: I've honestly never had any problems with painting yellow using the new Citadel paints, and I don't own an airbrush. I know Dos doesn't use an airbrush either, and his yellow is brilliant too, even over a black undercoat (I work from grey personally, and I think he's started working from white.) His tutorial is here, and it's definitely a good one. In my experience, it's pretty much like painting any other color, you just have to be careful about getting an even coat of color most of the time.

@Aeternas: Cracking! Does this mean you'll be doing a Fists army again?

@mithrilforge: Still coming along gloriously! I can't wait to see it finished!

Keep up the great work everybody!!! Victory to the Seventh!!!

tvih: ... :blink: That's a lot of magnets!

mithril: Damn, very nice. Excellent work. :tu: What's your second vow going to be?

Aeternas: Can't wait to see more of him! Are you going to paint him black or yellow?

Pyroclast: Glad I can help with painting yellow! ^_^

I'll have my vow posted tonight. Got my first ever drop pod made. Its work to points ratio is atrocious, but I'm hoping this event will force me to paint it (especially as it will be delivering my grav devastators, who are still on a sprue).

@Pyroclast91: I've honestly never had any problems with painting yellow using the new Citadel paints, and I don't own an airbrush. I know Dos doesn't use an airbrush either, and his yellow is brilliant too, even over a black undercoat (I work from grey personally, and I think he's started working from white.) His tutorial is here, and it's definitely a good one. In my experience, it's pretty much like painting any other color, you just have to be careful about getting an even coat of color most of the time.

@Aeternas: Cracking! Does this mean you'll be doing a Fists army again?

@mithrilforge: Still coming along gloriously! I can't wait to see it finished!

Keep up the great work everybody!!! Victory to the Seventh!!!

I don't know about a full army, but I certainly am interested in doing a small phalanx + templars force. I've got a cataphractii termi I painted recently, just needs to get his picture taken. I'm actually enjoying painting yellow :D

tvih: ... blink.png That's a lot of magnets!

mithril: Damn, very nice. Excellent work. thumbsup.gif What's your second vow going to be?

Aeternas: Can't wait to see more of him! Are you going to paint him black or yellow?

Pyroclast: Glad I can help with painting yellow! happy.png

I wish I knew :P At the moment I'm looking more into black with yellow pads, but It's all up for change...

For painting my so far only IF figure, Lysander, I went with black undercoat and then Tausept Ochre basecoat, with some yellow or other as highlight - ended up perhaps too subtle though. I thought overall it worked fairly well though, however I like a more subdued tone in general as compared to bright or such. Of course, nowadays Tausept Ochre is supposedly replaced by Balor Brown, which seems... browner? Anyway, the guide I roughly followed is this, although I didn't get around to doing the glaze. Gonna try it on some other model before deciding whether to "retroactively" do it for Lysander.

I, Commander Melmoth, vow on the honour of the Steel Guard to fully paint at least a single apothecary from Codex: Space Marines, and worth 50 points by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Dorn and the Emperor by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

Ave Imperator!

Apothecary

Gaius Atticus: I've heard horrible things about painting drop pods, though I've never painted any myself. You have my sympathies!

Aeternas: You may have a PM coming your way later, brother. Keep an eye out. msn-wink.gif I look forward to what's to come if you do a black/yellow scheme.

nusphigor: Lovely paint work, mate! thumbsup.gif Is that Fist icon freehanded? It's pretty great looking!

lionofjudah: Coming along very nicely, looks very beaten and well worn! One thing though, if I may suggest, would be to darken down the black areas with an extra coat of Nuln Oil, just to tie it together a bit better. As it stands, the black highlights look a bit ashy. smile.png

I, Gaius Atticus, vow on the honour of The Crimson Fists to fully paint at least one 5 man Devastator squad armed with 4 Grav Cannons and amps (and 1 vet sgt upgrade) and drop pod transport from the Space Marines Codex, and worth 255pts by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Dorn and the Emperor by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

Ave Imperator!

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab235/iamcjb/Mobile%20Uploads/20160829_161617.jpg

Archived