You should not be putting any pressure at all on plastic like this. It's going to mess something up and much more importantly it's dangerous. No one wants a bolter muzzel opening in their hand...

If that would be a thing, my left hand would put Hurricane Bolters to shame. ;) 

You should not be putting any pressure at all on plastic like this. It's going to mess something up and much more importantly it's dangerous. No one wants a bolter muzzel opening in their hand...

The biggest problem I've had happens even with just torque... namely when drilling torso magnets, the silly two-part torsos sometimes split apart. Wouldn't try something as accuracy-needing as a weapon muzzle with electril drill + pressure, though.

Not sure of the material of my 1 mm drill bits, but I guess I could order a pair of those linked cobalt ones to try out.

The biggest problem I've had happens even with just torque... namely when drilling torso magnets, the silly two-part torsos sometimes split apart. Wouldn't try something as accuracy-needing as a weapon muzzle with electril drill + pressure, though.

Not sure of the material of my 1 mm drill bits, but I guess I could order a pair of those linked cobalt ones to try out.

I know that problem. The solution is: only start drilling after 24 hrs of drying time, and drill slooooowly - again, hand drilling is better for this. :tu:

I've only maged a handful of infantry models but after the first one split on me as you described I started using my hobby knife to carve out the spot for the magnet from both halves before I glued them. You will lose the dimple and nub that line both sides up, but they're hardly needed anyway.

Had less (actually none) of that problem with my newest batches of torsos where I used superglue rather than plastic glue. Which is strange, since the latter is supposed to form a stronger bond on model plastics.

---

That aside, I'm declaring my first vow complete. The proof is in the pudding:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ife2016-vow1-full.jpg

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ife2016-vow1-hq.jpg

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ife2016-vow1-bt.jpg

Two of the terminators that were supposed to be in the BT squad ended up defecting over to the CF squad tongue.png

Relatively happy with how the dirty witch turned out, wasn't sure how it'd look as I hadn't done a CF-colored cloth-covered model yet. Also a semi-fun fact: I've now painted 12 CF models, and only two of them don't have power or chain fists. Hah!

Now to ponder which units of the millions I have to choose from to vow next...

It's more my lack of energy in general, not just painting-specific, that's the problem :P Anyway, lots of options to choose from. Could even do a vow of 4 HQs, yet I'd really like to work on some vehicle (CF dread would be nice, but I only have an Ironclad unpainted, yet it'd make sense to have a shooty dread for my CF), the jump vanguard models, and even the last two Space Hulk terminators which happen to be assault ones. Decisions, decisions...

Why not paint the Ironclad for the sake of not having to look at it unpainted? Especially if you want to paint a vehicle. :)

Anyway, as long as you Finnish your vows, I'll be happy to see what ever you choose to paint. :teehee:

Why not paint the Ironclad for the sake of not having to look at it unpainted? Especially if you want to paint a vehicle. smile.png

Anyway, as long as you Finnish your vows, I'll be happy to see what ever you choose to paint. teehee.gif

'Vow' in Finnish would be 'Lupaus', which would be an awesome name for an Ironclad Dreadnought. :D

Why not paint the Ironclad for the sake of not having to look at it unpainted? Especially if you want to paint a vehicle. smile.png

Anyway, as long as you Finnish your vows, I'll be happy to see what ever you choose to paint. teehee.gif

Well, I'm most likely gonna vow it, but whether it ends up a CF or a Templar, that's still up in the air. Might go for Templar after all since I'm a bit unhappy about the current look of my Venerable Dread, so I might repaint that as CF instead. This is the current state:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/etl2013-ven-dread-ready1.jpg

I could just paint directly over the current scheme, plus I'd likely change the front panels on the torso and legs, or possibly repaint them. Problem is I don't want the planet name plates and beyond those not many choices... should have at least kept some leg plates from the Death Company dread I sold recently, as it had a suitable pair... doh msn-wink.gif

Bah, here goes.

I, tvih, vow on the honour of the Black Templars and the Crimson Fists to fully paint at least
- a Librarian Witch in Terminator Armour (ML2)
- a Chaplain with Power Fist
- a Venerable Dreadnought with Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer
- an Ironclad Dreadnought with heavy flamer, assault launchers, 2x HK missile
from Codex: Space Marines worth 540 points by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Dorn and the Emperor by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

Start pic:
http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ife2016-vow2.jpg

Completion:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ife2016-vow2-full.jpg

I'll do some yellow later, event deadline permitting. Likely a tactical squad and perhaps tactical terminator squad, but those are lower priority over BT/CF models tongue.png

Currently working on the CF venerable dreadnought, it's mostly done and should be finished a bit later today, Emperor willing.

So, poor ol' Decus got transferred to bolster the CF ranks. Refused to have his helmet painted, though tongue.png

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ife2016-vow2-decus.jpg

Came out decent, but something's still bothering me about it. Probably the front panels again. Better than it was anyway... I think. I hope. Dunno dry.png

I could use some more of those drop pod insignias though, they make nice icons for other small vehicles too, like the two Land Speeders I'm likely to paint as CF.

Also painting vehicles with their much larger surface areas makes me worry I'll run out of Necron Abyss, as I only have that one single pot, and then I'll be in trouble unsure.png Aside from a drop pod I likely have the Land Speeders, a LS Storm, a Whirlwind, a Predator and a LRC/LRR to paint as CF vehicle-wise (possibly a regular dread if I ever get around to buying one). Infantry-wise 30+ dudes (argh).

Also a slight dilemma - do I paint the Ironclad with my old style of gray highlights like all my other painted BT vehicles are, or use the new subtle style? Decisions, decisions. Really not tempted to redo the highlights on all existing vehicles, and not all that many BT vehicles remain to be painted. Two drop pods, a Whirlwind... not much else that I can think of right now.

Okay I'm calling this one vow completed. :D Note that either I misjudged the height of my tree slightly on the base or this tech brother is a bit of a show off.... maybe both?

14606266_1403485969681379_86601296761694

14519947_1403485966348046_82317159897734

14479550_1403485973014712_51013978543801

Sorry for the poor quality shots here by the way. It's late, but I was excited to finish her. I'll try to get some proper shots tomorrow after work. ;)

tvih: So is he finished or do you still have some work to do on him? Also, I have a pot of Necron Abyss which hasn't dried up so if you want it, you can have it. I have no use for it whatsoever.

Andy: Neat! :tu:

Maybe some tune-ups. I'm painting him a coffin-style front too to try out, maybe add some decorations (already added back his old purity seal that I forgot from the pic). We'll see, gotta think on it while working on the other units of the vow.

Ohhh, and just realized that actually he is missing his heavy flamer, gotta remember to do that too :P

As for the paint, thanks, though I guess sending it is a bit pricey?

Also, I realized I accidentally put the Ironclad's feet on the Venerable... ack! tongue.png But spent too much effort on them to bother repainting both set of feet now. Pff.

EDIT: The exhaust pipe sections seems to have gotten switched too, haha :D Not that it matters that much but sheesh... hopefully the machine spirits won't be too offended.

Archived