Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Broken Throne - The Predators

Brotherhood of the Lost Alternate universe Fanfiction

• Please log in to reply
586 replies to this topic

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts
  • Faction: Do bookmarks count?
As for now, Organization, etc. and battles would need some attention.
Overall story is wip. I might need some help in the future.

Currently at phone. Can give you more details later on.

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
Well I've now figured just what happens with the Scions. Antonidas kills Legion Master Kallast in a duel over the XXth's conduct. I also have Pionus' comments when he hears about it:

"Only a fool mistakes a rabid dog for a loyal hound. The proper course is to put the beast down."

Humble scrivener - alternate Episode IX attempt now complete!

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts

Kallast might become of more importance regarding Cassus. While working, I thought about how and what I'd like to do with Cassus without emphasizing too much on him as Andezo is (of course) the iconic character.

I came to the conclusion that I might write some scenes, dealing with Cassus, for example something prior to Kallast duel or the brawl including all of the XXth warband leaders and so on.

Any thoughts?

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
Sounds good to me

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts

Brothers, I got a couple of questions regarding the XXth's conviction by the Emperor.

It occurs right after Blunts recently posted story including the Scions Hospitalier and the XXth Legion. After considering the exact year, I came to the conclusion of letting it happen about 60 years before Andezo was discovered. The only Primarchs to be discovered until then are Icarion, Alexandros, Leman, Daer'dd and Niklaas.

In this gathering does the Emperor have some advisors, for sure. I imagine that Antonidas would participate as Antonidas was forced to kill one of the XXth most important leaders. Who else could be advising the Emperor? Another Primarch? Valdor or Malchador? I would rather keep it small and clear and nothing like the Vizenko Prosecution.

What is the Emperor's flagships name? Is it a forbidden zone for most except those, who are chosen / called unto?

Are 60 years enough to reorganize a Legion and establish it among the others? Or would that be too long and I should rather go with a shortened period of time, i.e. 40 years? Doing so would allow me to make use of Pionus instead of Antonidas, though.

The Emperor presents Cassus with gifts for his victory and claim of the Legion Masters rank: Umbralion, the later Legion artifact. Further, he grants Cassus the right to wear a golden armor, resembling his status as the Emperor's chosen and approved Master of the XXth. Or maybe a symbol instead of the golden armor? Or just Umbralion?

The Emperor decrees that Cassus' warbands name shall become that of the newly unified Legion: Ebon Blades. The Ebon Blades symbol also becomes the first consistent symbol of the XXth Legion: a winged, black blade, with its tip pointing upwards. Imagine the Dark Angels' one with batlike wings instead of feathers.

Last but not least: can a jetpack be released by a simple button during combat or is it a complex process like doffing armor?

Thanks in advance! smile.png

Edited by Kelborn, 07 November 2017 - 09:56 AM.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Demus Ragnok

Demus Ragnok

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,208 posts
  • Faction: Fire Keepers Xth Legion BotL
Early in the crusade the E used the Bucephelas (sp?) later the Imperator Sominum.

Skip the gold armor a weaponed gifted from the E would be sanction enough.

I believe jump packs are held on by a harness that can easily be released.
Of Fire.

Fire gives light removing dark and shadow.

Fire gives purity driving out corruption.

Fire gives strength consuming weakness.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts

Thank you, Demos.

I would like to add a question to the above ones regarding the pre Andezo Legion.

Thinking about a possible symbol, I'm currently torn between these:

pp,550x550.u2.jpg

This would be an obvious choice in terms of using a black blade. At the same time, it is rather uncreative. As it is very close to the Dark Angels' one, I'd upend it, with the tip pointing upwards.

truemando.jpgNeoCrusaders.jpg

Something like could be a little reference to their cultural inspiration, the Mandalorians. On the other hand, a precise connection between name and symbol would be missing. Further, this was my first impression of their pre-Primarch symbol, representing the skull of a xenos race, they had to extinguish right after their reformation.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, though. What would you say?

Edited by Kelborn, 08 November 2017 - 06:51 AM.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts

While considering of considering of what I want to play in SWTOR and what would mirrors my Legion the most: a Bounty Hunter? An Inquisitor?
I've decided to go with an Inquisitor but what spec? Assassin (melee) or Sorcerer?

I started to ask myself: if I want to represent Andezo, what is he? A supportive character / combatant or a superb melee adversary, stalking in the shadows?
As for now, I did work with Griff and created a supportive Primarch. If I would want to revise this and turn Andezo into a capable fighter with supportive psyker treats (due to his biomancy powers), would that be snow flake territory?

A melee combatant + psyker in one character, even if it is a Primarch? Other Primarchs are more focused, i.e. Magnus or Russ. But there is no real mixture of archetypes, right?

What if Andezo is a hunter themed jack of all traits? Capable of doing a lot but not mastering something in particular? He's not comparable to Icarion in terms of psyker abilities, for sure. Neither would he be comparable to Gwal or Raktra in terms of melee combat.

So what niche is their to fill with Andezo / what could be become?

- Dualist + some psyker abilities

- Supportive character, focusing more on his biomancy powers

- A jack of all traits with him not excelling in a certain field

If I have to compare Andezo with canon Legions, someone like the Khan comes into my mind. The Khan is one of the best melee fighters. What about our universe? Do we already have enough of them with Raktra, Hec and Gwal?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,808 posts
  • Faction: XIth Legion Wardens of Light
Difficult question to ask..

I'd say Support or all trades with a focus in his whip sword.

Sweeping attacks against multiple foes.
And the extra defense THX to his Terminator armor.

Raktra, HEC and Gwal are Duelist.

But how about having a primarch whose specialty is to fight not a duel but CC against multiple enemies? So he may not Excel in one in one against the above. But he holds bis stand well Wien Richtung against all three AG the same time. Something like that maybe.

But I tend to support^^
  • Kelborn likes this

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_78117_10471_62812.png

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
I thought that'd be Raktra.

Personally I adhere to the "three tiers, but too many variables to call a top 3" slant here, just as I do in canon.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,785 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels
Remind me, what does Andezo gain for his blindness?

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

The Second Son: Narrative of the BOTL Vth Legion Primarch

Brotherhood of the Lost has arrived on Patreon

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts

He gains a spectral sight. Though technically blind, he can see his surroundings and further, he sees into others. Not like Raktra does but more on a mystic / spiritual way. More like auras, for example would Andezo see that something dark lurks within Hectarion. However, he is unable to name it or describe it directly.

That's why he doesn't feel comfortable with Pariahs like Gwal. They would blend him or they would be like a black whole, unable to screen for him.

References could be the Miraluka of Star Wars or the Demon Hunters from Warcraft.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,492 posts

And when he had opened the third vault, I heard the third cherub say, Come and see. And I beheld, and see a sword the colour of bone; and he that held it wore a blindfold upon his eyes. And I heard a voice from the middle of the four cherubs say, The head of a traitor for a penny, and three heads of beasts for a penny; and see that you hurt not the adept nor the warrior."

• simison and bluntblade like this

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
Kel, did you name the XX's fortress-monastery?

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts

Yep.

It's a space station orbiting Abassi, the shattered world (sister world of Mardum).

It's current name is Grim Reaper, a gift by the Emperor. As Andezo wanted to keep Mardum as it was, the Emperor took care to give his son and his Legion a suitable home. Can either be a Ramilies Star Fort or something more individual, yet comparable. It will be conquered by the remaining loyalists during the Legions shattering.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts

Behold the latest stuff done by the magnificent Slaine69:

A Predator and his hunt

Predator and his hunt

• Doctor Perils, simison and Hesh Kadesh like this

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts
Might have found a fitting Knight Household for the Preds: http://www.bolterand...an-2805/page-22

He's currently working on infantry, etc. But he already created a wonderful African themed Knight in another thread, a while ago.

I'll speak with him if he'd be interested / ok with it.

Can highly recommend his thread. Great Raven Guard, Night Lords, Carcharodons and other stuff going on.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
I'm wary of having an African themed house with the Preds for the same reason Athrawes didn't give a Samurai one to the Lightning Bearers, but I like the idea if that heritage in a House.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,785 posts

BL Fluff Segment (12k words)

Anthology: 30% - Incomplete

FW Fluff Segment (10k? words)

History: 15% - Incomplete - (Though there is a foundation)

Organization: 15% - N/A

Exemplary Battles: 15% - N/A

Crunch

Legiones Astartes: 5% - N/A - (I didn't even seen an attempt for this rule)

Unique Wargear: 5% - Incomplete

Unique Units: 5%- Incomplete

Unique Characters: 5% - Incomplete

Primarch: 5% - Incomplete

Total - 0%

The Crunch segment is by far the healthiest segment. Rules need to be ironed out and banners assembled to get that portion over the line. 

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,124 posts
Thought that I'd have at least one or two percent done but that's good. I'm feeling the pressure/ need to get something done and to stay focused.

Thanks for the summary, Sim. :)
  • simison likes this

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts

The Predators

Numeration: XXth Legion
Primogenitor: Andezo Sambedi
Cognomen: (Prior) The Ebon Blades (Official) - Various other informal and idiomatic cognomen used for individual Chapters, such as Monsters in the Dark, the Black Death, the Devouring Maw
Noteworthy Domains: Mardum & the shattered world of Abassi. (Four other systems held in tributary fiefdom at the closure of the Great Crusade)
Observed Strategic Tendencies: Search & Destroy, Pursuit Operations, Purgation, Extended Unsupported Operation within Hostile Domains, High-Mobility Warfare, Asymmetric Warfare

A striking blade from the shadows, a persistent hunter – the Predators were the sudden and merciless instrument of the Emperor’s justice. Little of their origin seemed to prefigure this, their early record besmirched by ill discipline and bloodlust which would bring them to profound disgrace and the threat of extinction. Still, the first generations of XXth Legionaries had a fearsome reputation as a shock-assault force as well as tireless pursuers and a peerless hunter-killer force, and when their gene-sire took hold of them, this was honed into a weapon to stand proudly alongside their cousins.

Swift action and a joy for the rush of combat and clash of blades became the hallmarks of their battles, tempered by a strong code of honour, both primal and sophisticated, which Andezo Sambedi wrought into his sons. Under his rulership, they became the Great Crusade's pathfinders, those who stalked the stars before all others, weakening the strong so that they might fall more easily to those who followed.

Yet, while the Predators rose at last to glory, seeds taken from their new home world of Mardum bore fruit in a streak of mysticism that permeated their culture. While others saw only a devotion to the Imperium and the Master of Mankind, the Predators took it upon themselves to pursue hidden objectives. In time, their noble intent would lead them to terrible deeds, in a quixotic betrayal of their own ideals, and ruin would become their enduring legacy.

Edited by bluntblade, 02 May 2019 - 09:58 PM.

• Kelborn likes this

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
Blood of the Vessorid
From their beginning, most of the young Legions of the Legiones Astartes fought in lockstep, brother beside brother, to bring the galaxy into compliance. For some, these were tales to be proud of and the beginning of long lasting honours and tithe rights. Others, on the other hand, experienced certain difficulties like flawed gene-seed, which needed to be cured or great losses sustained on campaign, necessitating great efforts at replenishing their numbers. However, for the last of the twenty Legions, the difficulties came from a quite different direction: within their own ranks.

The first members of the XXth Legion were recruited from tribes of the rugged climes of Zealandia, fractious satraps of the Pan-Pacific Empire until it grew too weak to constrain them. They were forced to subsist in a volatile climate, but the strongest survived and founded a civilisation of raiders, plundering those who had so recently subjugated them. In doing so, these tribes, who named themselves the Vessorid, became potent combatants. Comparable to the northern Xeric tribes of the Asiatic Dustfields, they were masters of rapid assaults, combined with relentless fury, battling ceaselessly for possession of scant natural resources.

Once they were brought to heel by the Emperor, His Thunder Warriors and the Lightning Bearers, the tribes were forced to render up their firstborn sons to the Emperor's gene-forges, and upon their ascension to the nascent Legiones Astartes, these same sons were then used to ensure and enforce the continued Imperial Compliance of their fractious kin. The Vessorid warriors proved well-suited to the Emperor's vision, though some observed their propensity for cruelty when ordered to attack, as well as a disdainful attitude to those they considered weak.

An observed lack of cohesion in their ranks led Korvost Sahaal of the Lightning Bearers to question their suitability as recruits, but at the time most figures in the emerging Imperial high command focused on their aggression and swiftness. With the rise of the VIth, VIIth and XIVth Legions fulfilling most demands for disciplined Astartes, other purposes may have been on their minds. That of retribution, perhaps; for that was the first use that the Emperor put His final Legion.

Several of those polities who had bent their knee to the Emperor had done so out of necessity, and feigned submission whilst seeking to subvert the newborn order to regain their autonomy. A few, who had a greater understanding of the self-proclaimed Master of Mankind but did not know enough to obey, coveted the overlordship of Terra and made designs upon His throne.

The result of such ambition and resentment was a wave of rebellions and plots in the waning centuries of the Unification Wars. The Jurfik Rising is infamous among these, along with the psychic rituals and bloodletting of the Rapnui Outrage and the Olawite Youth-Drinkers. But for each massive uprising, there were a score of smaller insurgencies and revolts, and while several Legions took a hand in enforcing the rule of Unity, two Legions were entrusted with most of this work. One was the XVth, that dark-souled band of patient killers and subtle tormentors. The other was the newly raised XXth, and they soon demonstrated an altogether more straightforward style of punishment.

This began at Canare, whose soldiery had been corrupted by cultists intent on resuming their heretical practices. Imperial functionaries were murdered, along with any civilians who resisted the madness. Canare was sealed off from the rest of the world, guarded by two million troops. The response was no gradual bleeding of the rebels, but a hammerblow. Six thousand Astartes of the XXth Legion arrived in a single armoured column, broke the gates and torched the city. The Imperium reclaimed Canare as a charred husk.

In this way, the XXth Legion soon earned a reputation as merciless heralds of Imperial justice, putting several such more rogue nations and cities to the blade and torch. At this time, the Imperial hold upon Terra was still fragile, and as the Emperor went to add Mars, Jupiter and other spheres to His realm, the excesses of the XXth were either overlooked or simply expected. Their uncompromising approach to suppression would be called upon on dozens more worlds in the years to come.

To this end, the Legion was frequently split into individual companies, and it seems that the fractiousness of the Vessorid culture reared its head at this time, officers competing to establish their authority. Duels, sometimes lethal, were not unheard-of within the ranks. Criticisms emerged from their allies, of a Legion unwilling to compromise or cede authority to any other. Still, the XXth thrived and grew, though partitioned across the expanding border of the Imperium. Their power was still sufficient to destroy many of the Emperor’s foes, and complaints often went unheeded in the vastness and frenzy of the growing interstellar empire.

Edited by bluntblade, 16 May 2019 - 12:09 AM.

• Kelborn likes this

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
Barbarians in Ceramite
For much of the next dozen years, the XXth Legion was kept divided, lacking the coherent character of the Storm Riders and Juggernauts, and often serving a weapon of reprisal against those who shirked the gift of Unity. Divided into several forces of chapter or battalion strength, their numbers and stock of wargear steadily expanded. Given the still-developing Munitorum and Administratum, and as every Expeditionary Fleet of the XXth Legion recruited and grew on its own, it was not easy to capture their overall strength in numbers.

Some splinter forces had recorded levels of nearly 3,000 at the Battle of Shun-Hagal and others about 7,000 active Astartes at the start of the Komaki Landing campaign. Each fleet took recruits from wherever they could get them, often requisitioning entire generations of youths from the worlds they subdued, and the high stability of their gene-seed was soon well established. However, scattered as they were and with the XXth’s bellicose way of war, recruitment only slightly outstripped their losses, and they were not favoured with the Mechanicum’s finest output.

Given this relatively small size - Legions such as the Godslayers and the Morning Stars outnumbered them thrice and four times respectively - they often served alongside other Legions and large Imperialis Auxilia forces in major campaigns or were entrusted with smaller, often bloody missions to destroy particular knots of enemy resistance in shock assaults.

Over time, the Astartes of the XXth Legion also developed a particular expertise in conducting rapid hunter-killer and retribution operations, particularly in urban conditions. During this period, when many other Legions were adopting liveries and slowly forging their own martial traditions, the XXth notably maintained a curiously varied appearance, with each fleet starting to enact their own honor marks and highly varying color schemes and markings of combat role and tactical division.

During the earliest years of the Great Crusade, the tendency of the XXth of construing their mission goals as they wished led to the inclusion of a far larger number of Disciplinary troops than almost any other Legion, barring perhaps only the [REDACTED] in their infancy. Increasingly however, the Opsequiari became irrelevant in the worst way, as arrogance and savagery captured the commanding heights of the XXth Legion. Now, though they continued to conquer, the blots upon their honour grew.

Each Lord Commander sought to assert his primacy by violence, both against enemy forces and his own kind. Honour duels became increasingly common with other Legion forces, and frequently ended in severe injury or death for the losing party. Allied Auxilia met with the threat of violence, and often the act, if they questioned their treatment by the Legion or its grisly conduct. The worlds they brought to the Imperial banner had no fondness for the new order, and required great effort to keep under the yoke. To onlookers, something in the very psyche of these warriors was degenerating. The lack of a Primarch’s steadying hand on them had become, perversely, something they took pride in compared to the “spayed” Vth and XIXth.

Such unrestrained aggression, though it sufficed to carry the day against human and alien alike, was losing its usefulness. Other Legions, akin to them in their capacity for violence but better able to restrain themselves and act with precision, better served the Emperor’s justice. Calls for the XXth to be censured built up steadily, dismissed by the Legion themselves as weakness of spirit, even as their divided nature and reckless methods led to slowly spiralling losses.

Edited by bluntblade, 07 September 2019 - 09:06 PM.

• Kelborn likes this

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,785 posts

"took great effort to keep under the yoke."

Keep under? Not to try to escape the yoke?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,600 posts
"Required" is probably the word I should have used.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brotherhood of the Lost, Alternate universe, Fanfiction

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users