Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IL XX - The Predators

Brotherhood of the Lost Alternate universe Fanfiction

• Please log in to reply
582 replies to this topic

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,786 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.
Ah....*Facepalm*
Now I see, sorry. Yes, he predates Mardum. Either chapters or battalions would be the right choice, then.

Edited by Kelborn, 17 May 2019 - 04:46 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers

The Arcane Pursuit

The hidden vendetta that the Predators pursued against what they called Ifriti is thoroughly occluded, and our efforts to piece together this hidden history are surely nothing but a fragment. Knowing the strictures of the Imperial Truth, the Predators did not advertise their disagreement with it, and shared little with their brothers. Of these, only the Lightning Bearers comprehended the nature of the Warp, and their own lore has proven even harder to uncover. With such caveats, these are the most significant episodes of the Legion’s private war against the daemon.

The presence of the XXth ensured the only official record we have of an engagement fought as part of the Ghost Crusade. Icarion had been assigned to cleanse the world of Tessier with three Maniples of Lightning Bearers, only to find an equal number of Predators in-system when he arrived, commanded by their Primarch no less. Requesting that Andezo depart was out of the question, but the campaign records indicate a certain uneasiness between the two forces. The records declare that the human population on Tessier were enthralled by amorphous and powerful xenoforms; now we understand that they had given themselves over to daemons. At the height of the purge, a cult leader named Alkaraxx achieved a vile transcendence, changing into a powerful daemon. The monster was cast down by the two Primarchs, but this was not the last time that the name of Alkaraxx would mar the Legion’s history.

After this, it seems that Icarion’s explanations were not enough for Andezo. The Predators did not persist, but Andezo was clearly troubled by the notion that his brother did not trust him with such a matter. Moreover, he implicitly recognised the ignorance of the rest of his brethren, and feared the consequences of openly seeking knowledge. The Predators thus began their own, secret research into the creatures that dwelt in the Immaterium, and an unspoken campaign against them.

This hidden agenda would lead them to minor conflicts with other Legions. The Culling of Strathus Secundus saw a brief but tense flare-up with the Fire Keepers, when the discovery of a Warp-cult on the plague-racked world saw the Skyspear and Black Conda Tribes raze several cities. Chief Mykaal of the Fire Keepers protested the acts of his opposite numbers and was answered that the population were carriers of a disease that would have ravaged Imperial worlds had it not been eradicated. This was justification enough to shield the Predators from consequence, but Mykaal made clear his scepticism in a report to his Primarch.

Throughout, the Predators courted suspicion over their acquisition of arcana and lore, notably hoarding for study certain Eldar technologies which warranted destruction for most. This was successfully kept quiet for the most part, though a senior captain of the Scions Hospitalier, a Tribune of the Iron Bears and two Imperial Army generals voiced their concerns at various times. As a consequence, a small undercurrent of distrust began to flow in the Legion’s psyche, a process of erosion which had not reached its conclusion when the Insurrection started. Instead it lay out of sight, a woeful twist yet to play out.

Edited by bluntblade, 19 June 2019 - 10:24 PM.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,647 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels

"though a senior[ ]captain of the Scions"

Also, just be aware, in our continuity, the Emperor reveals some information about Chaos and daemons. But it's more like a vaccination shot with the information given explicitly truncated. We should probably establish just how much was told and explore how this differentiates us from canon.

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

The Second Son: Narrative of the BOTL Vth Legion Primarch

Brotherhood of the Lost has arrived on Patreon

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,647 posts

Last editing note for the Legion Org chapter.

" his will too: each Tribe" [Why a colon?]

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts

It seemed to lead on nicely.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,647 posts

BL Fluff Segment (12k words)

Anthology: 30% - Incomplete

FW Fluff Segment (12k words)

History: 15% - Complete

Organization: 15% - Complete

Exemplary Battles: 15% - N/A

Crunch

Legiones Astartes: 5% - N/A - (I didn't even seen an attempt for this rule)

Unique Wargear: 5% - Incomplete

Unique Units: 5%- Incomplete

Unique Characters: 5% - Incomplete

Primarch: 5% - Incomplete

Total - 30%

Legion Org has been submitted. Updated the tracker, but I'm concerned about the length. Adding all that's done (including the red box that has not yet been edited) only equals 6,800 words. That leaves 5,200 words, 3,000 of which is reserved for the Exemplary. Where's the other 2,200 words going to be?

Darkcommander

Darkcommander

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts

As one of the variants of the Martian Ajax prototype, the Predators were approached to have it be part of their armoury, and they jumped at the chance. 

'Conda Inkosi' Predators Tank-Hunter

Design

Taken by the opportunity to embrace the Ajax design ahead of the other legions, the Predator's representative, a techmarine of the Black Conda tribe, saw fit to immediately agree to the Mechanicum offer. With the vehicle proving to pique the interest of the of the Predator's Tech-clave they set to adapting it to the simple lessons learned on Mardum and those of their tribe; To strike from the shadows with wrathful abandon. To this end when working with the Tech-adepts of Sigma-Cant Covenant they developed a fast, deadly weapon that could strike from the darkness as well as any of the legion's infiltrator bikes.

Equipped with composite layers of armour and an outer layer of chameleoline, the vehicle's profile is sleek and vicious-looking, without even mentioning it's main armament. On the back of the vehicle a large, servitor-controlled firing platform is mounted, it's complex housings and cooling systems working to support a Grav-cannon that peaks out of the armoured assembly. Powered by a thermic combustor reactor the speed and range is also greatly increased, allowing it to operate significantly longer than it's sister variants.

With the blessing of numerous Tribes who were happy to integrate the ambush predator into their ranks, the finished product was christened Conda Inkosi, after the tribe who helped design such a weapon. From here the Inkosi distinguished itself in the art of ambush warfare. Whole squadrons cut down tank columns and fortifications with the grav-cannon, before quickly fading out of view as quickly as they appeared.

Armament

The main weaponry fielded by the Inkosi is the Grav-cannon, an esoteric and deadly design befitting the Dark Age of Technology it originated from. The ability to fire a stream of graviton particles that turn an enemies armour against him, disabling or even outright crushing them is invaluable when going up against both heavy armour and fortifications. As the beam itself is unleashed upon an enemy the weapon generates heat which eventually has to be dissipated. To achieve this a cooling system is also integrated into the turret, both these systems use the increased power of the thermic combustor to run, but will overheat if frequently used.

Secondary to the grav-cannon is the mounted meltagun for use by the gunner as a backup weapon. Mounted on a ball-jointed socket the meltagun can be pivoted in almost every direction to allow him to defend against almost any close-range threats. While mainly an anti-tank weapon, the meltgun is popular amongst the Conda Tribe for it's ability to hit a target hard and quickly, before the vehicle withdraws to a safe distance. With a spare canister stored in the navigators foot-well there are 12 shots available, and some extra space for more canisters if necessary.

Defence

The armour used by the Inkosi is a composite, layering armaplas and thin slivers of ceramite to act a barrier to incoming projectiles. The benefits of using composite are that the differing types of armour mean that even if a projectile manages to defeat one of the layers the difference of material in another layer will prove to slow or stop it entirely. The mixture of materials means the vehicle is lighter too, so the loss of speed is not as severe as simply using slabs of ceramite.

While the composite armour allows for the retention of speed and a good amount of protection, the main source of defence used by the Conda Inkosi is to not be seen at all. Covering the whole body of the vehicle, several layers of chameleoline fabric has been placed, allowing the vehicle to blend itself into an environment and render into a semi-visible haze. While the same layering could not be placed on the turret due to heat excess from firing, a workaround was devised. Around the turret are four metal loops used as anchor points attached to a significantly sized sheet of cameleoline that is bundled into a storage box running the circumference of the turret. When fully extended the cameleoline attaches to more anchor points on the rear of the vehicle, allowing full rotation of the turret while leaving only the grav-cannon and it's gunners sight exposed. This allows the crew to position the vehicle so that the weapon system will only be spotted when it's too late while not having to worry about hiding the rest of the vehicle.

As an ambush predator and anti-tank platform, the Conda Inkosi is second to none, able to strike devastating blows before fading into the brush leaving the enemy shaken and paranoid.

Engines

Upgrading the heavily standardized Vulcanor engines to the more powerful thermic combustor brings and overall increase to the speed and reliability of the vehicle, able to cross vast distances at a brisk pace. Providing power to the grav-cannon and cooling systems as well, it helps both operate for extended durations, able to keep power flowing and coolant chilled in the heat of battle. Along with the increased speed comes the increased operational range, with the vehicle managing to clearly out-range the other Martian variants, but still quite short of it's distant Uran progenitor

Technical Specifications

Type: Tank Hunter, Anti-Fortification Platform

Vehicle Name: Conda Inkosi

Forge World of Origin: Mars

Known Patterns: N/A

Crew: Minimum - 1 Driver, 1 Gunner, 1 Weapons-Servitor

Powerplant: Tri MkIV Thermic Combustor Reactor

Weight: 8.2 tonnes

Length: 6.2m

Height: 4.9m

Width: 4m

Range: 530km

Max Speed:

On Road: 101km/h (63mph)

Off Road: 72km/h (45mph)

Main Armament: Grav Cannon

Secondary Armament: Meltagun

Main Ammunition: X amount of time before needing recharge/cooldown

Secondary Ammunition: 12 shots (6 per canister)

Armour:

Hull: 63mm

Superstructure: 85mm

Wiki Entry: https://botl.fandom....ki/Conda_Inkosi

• Kelborn likes this

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
Kel, besides the Ebonspear, which Tribes are the most powerful and favoured by Andezo?

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,786 posts
Phantom Blades out of respect
Besides those two, maybe the Black Condas, as those were allowed to roam freely and/ or Stygian Jackals & Soul Eaters

To keep it short. ;)

Edited by Kelborn, 17 June 2019 - 01:21 PM.

Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
I keep forgetting the Stygian Jackals are a thing.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
Will post the Qarith exemplary when I get WiFi. I'm wondering what we should do for the other one though - maybe a single Tribe carrying out a retribution campaign. Any other ideas, people?

Edited by bluntblade, 17 June 2019 - 05:00 PM.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,786 posts
Black Condas chasing down some outer rim enclaves, call it the Colony Wars

Waaaaaaay back, Thorn and I had such an Idea including the Condas and a Warbringer force, fighting over worlds at the very edge.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
Any further details or wants?

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,786 posts
Too difficult via phone. Gonna provide them tomorrow. :)

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,786 posts
Ehmmm, ad I accidently deleted Thorns post, I'll try to repeat what he said.

The Colony Wars were meant to be a longer war during the later Insurrection and thus, not fitting for an exemplary battle.

Therefore, I'm gonna suggest some other tribes, which could be introduced:

Bloodlords, erradicating their prey
Stygian Jackals - do we already have something for an exemplary battle for them at hand?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
I don't think we do. If you've got a XXth Legion Chief you'd like spotlighted, we can just use his Tribe.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,786 posts

Then I'd go with either the Bloodlords under Odanka or the Stygian Jackals.

Those are the ones besides the Ebonspears, Phantom Blades and Black Condas, who will a somewhat of a role during the Insurrection or in the aftermath of it.

If another, more unknown, tribe should shine, there are plenty to choose from. :)

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
Exemplary Battle: The Battle of Udosth
When the Predators intervened in the Qarith Crusade, it was still the desperate holding action of its early years, rather than the Crusade proper that is celebrated still. In 995 M30. things were precarious indeed. The Steel Legion and Crimson Lions had already taken steep losses in defence of the Emperor’s territory. Entire Chapters, Army regiments and Titan Legios lay dead, while the populations of worlds were taken and made utterly inhuman by the Qarith. Hectarion's intervention had staved off catastrophe in scores of systems, but at a vicious cost to his own Legion.

Even as the IIIrd and XVIIIth Legions fought on with their allies, the Imperial war machine was turning its manifold resources to breaking the threat decisively. Pionus Santor’s great muster at Katorz was already coalescing, Socraes Travier was on the move to the west and Sorrowsworn Morro was building up his own forces for the campaign to come. However, none of these Primarchs were able to reach the lynchpin system of Udosth, in the northeastern corner of the theatre.

Udosth was a fortress system as well as capital of the subsector which bore its name. Conquered by the Lightning Bearers and Halcyon Wardens just forty-six years into the Great Crusade, it had been steadily built up since then. With the Qarith’s attack Grand Marshal Yoana Darcus, the Imperial Lord Commander responsible for the subsector, had made Udosth the centre of her operations. Udosth’s powerful defence fleets, augmented by Darcus' forces, had kept it safe from the depredations of the enemy so far. In the War Council's chambers, it was being discussed as a staging point for the Imperial response.

But the Qarith's strength was still greater than any realised, and ten Terran months after the start of the war, they struck for Udosth. Out of enemy space came an unforeseen fleet, tens of thousands of warships the equal of the Imperium's. Border defences which had held until now were ravaged, flotillas bloodily seized or scattered to the tides of the Warp and worlds subjugated by the malevolent xenos.

Clan Bewulf of the Crimson Lions held the invaders back in the Dlesica system, in a battle which raged for thirty-seven days and consumed almost two entire Qarith fleets. But while tens of billions of the aliens were destroyed, so too did billions of Imperial troops go to their deaths. Among them were the proud warriors of Clan Bewulf, who had fought to the last rather than retreat and ended their service in a series of suicidal attacks on Qarith vessels, exacting a high price for their lives and leaving Dlesica a graveyard of ships.

The loss of such a venerable force - Clan Bewulf represented the oldest traditions of the IIIrd Legion, having once been its Fourth Chapter - was a bitter blow indeed, despite the reprieve it had bought for their comrades. Worse, while the Qarith had lost a great part of their invasion force, they were still able to press the attack a few months later, harvesting conquered planets for fresh soldiers - though at the time the means by which they did this were not understood. The systems around Udosth came under attack, and finally the core world was besieged.

But even as the bastion teetered on the brink, another son of the Emperor was drawing near. Andezo Sambedi, probing the northern edge of the Maelstrom, had also received word from the War Council and acted immediately. His call went out to every Predators fleet within range, with the injunction that they would be an instrument not only of conquest in this war, but punishment. By the time they drew close to the front, Udosth had emerged as their target.

Andezo called upon a truly enormous host for this task: sixty Army regiments and twenty cohorts of Solar Auxilia, several taghma from Iyacrax and elements of three Titan Legios with their attendant Knights. Seven Tribes of Predators had answered their sire’s call, some 108,000 Astartes. All were freshly rearmed for the fight to come, for the machine armies of Iyacrax had come with an enormous haul of materiel.

The armada was divided between eleven initial targets within the subsector, but Andezo took the very finest divisions for his own force, which would move to liberate Udosth. Among these were the famed Holothurn Chasseurs, Emithian Wyverns and Hahmpin Emberguard, a Legio Pugilis war maniple, and the main strength of House Harkon. All were forces that Andezo could depend on to fight with fervour, but also discipline and precision.

Such soldiers were direly needed. When Andezo’s forces reached the warfront, battle had come to the Udosth system itself. A week-long series of void engagements had seen the seven minor worlds invested and mostly taken, and a planetary siege was in operation against Udosth itself. Marshal Darcus set her forces to a dogged defence, but her adepts reported that they could not last for more than four weeks.

The first XXth Legion elements to engage were outrider fleets; subdivisions of the Stygian Jackals and Bloodlords. With them were a few cohorts of Solar Auxilia, typically drawn from feral or death worlds and well-suited to the raiding tactics which Andezo set them to. These they executed with alacrity, striking well to the rear of the Qarith and harrying their supply lines. Any vulnerable ship or fleet was set upon and destroyed, the Predators moving on before any response could be marshalled against them.

Despite their savage reputation, the Predators had studied their enemy well, identifying and prioritising targets as they examined reports from the front. When they made their attacks, therefore, they went for the most valuable prey, targeting above all the ships which carried Titan-analogues. Well-versed in the marauder’s trade, Chiefs Odanka and Invik carried out opportunistic kills as well as planned strikes. In several early attacks, Qarith vessels would be left functioning long enough to send for aid, only for the Predators to board them, finish off the occupants and then lie in wait for the answering ships.

The Qarith acted prudently and augmented their supply flotillas with more warships, for so far they had only been confronted with Chapter-strength forces in any given theatre. What they had not yet encountered was a Legion operating at near-full strength under the hand of its Primarch. Without warning, the outrider fleets broke from their trajectories, making for the Udosth system.

When they emerged however, they were just part of a greater whole. The Predators had secured the services of the brilliant Navigator Cristus Lumbia decades before. Once again he proved his worth and oversaw an astonishing feat of pathfinding, synchronising the passage of these fleets with Andezo’s main force. A true armada of the Great Crusade thundered out of the Warp into Udosthian space, and two hundred and fifty ebon ships were the tip of the spear.

Roughly a hundred vessels remained to the defenders, withdrawn to the margins of the systems in small packs, and squadrons were dispatched to retrieve them. But the bulk of the fleet made straight for the heart of the system and the alien foe that awaited them. This was the kind of crushing blow that the Legions had been wrought to deliver, and here the Qarith experienced it for the first time. The XXth Legion fleet engaged at maximum thrust, outrunning their comrades on a slingshot course from one outer world to the next on an unbroken course for the centre.

Though the Death’s Baron was more than a match for any ship the Qarith possessed, much of the Predators fleet was made up of lighter cruisers and frigates, and thus ill-suited to confronting such a powerful enemy in open battle. As has often been remarked, the Qarith fleets rivalled the Imperium’s own in power, and the one hanging over Udosth was especially large. To counter this, Andezo pulled his flotilla into a tight, narrow formation behind the great warships, which he used as a battering ram against his foes.

A storm of fire met the oncomers, but arrayed so closely that their void shields overlapped, the Predators advanced with a cohesion which would once have been unthinkable for them. A ragged hole was torn in the Qarith formation by the guns of the battleships, and the frigates, cruisers and destroyers in their wake finished off wounding ships or launched boarding torpedoes. Legionaries raced through the hulls of ships, leaving them ankle-deep in ichor before turning their guns upon other Qarith vessels.

The rest of the Imperial fleet struck shortly afterwards, Andezo directing them to the weak spots which his own ships would open up. By then the Predators had dispersed across low orbit, ensuring that the Qarith were caught between fire from both sides, and within eight hours the xenos ships had been gutted or captured. Their ground forces, however, were entrenched in two captured hives, and the curtain walls of the capital Irdak had been breached in several places. The Qarith had entered through these, and fighting was rife in the lower levels of the city.

Andezo's response drew on the old ways of the XXth and Mardumian warfare. Gunships swept down ahead of the main relief force, not seeking to link up with the defenders but rather depositing their occupants into burned out habitation stacks and manufactoria. Drop-pods deposited more Astartes beyond the shattered walls. From these points, tactical and seeker squads struck out as raiders, appearing in the midst of the foe and causing carnage wherever they went. Librarians moved among them, weaving storms and shadows that shrouded their warriors and confounded the enemy. Squads and companies flowed together and broke apart as circumstances dictated, defying attempts to fix and destroy them, ever killing.

While this dance unfolded, Andezo brought his main units to ground. The Bloodlords descended on the occupied Hive Kheradaf with orders to purge it, and the Bone Shields set to the same task at Hive Erlva. At this late stage, the Emperor’s mercy was all that could be given to any living Imperials. Supported by Titans and Mechanicum taghmata, they cleansed the cities in a storm of untrammelled violence. Auxiliary troops of particularly bloodthirsty mien were deployed to support them, but found only dead and dying aliens as they combed the hundreds of levels.

But by far the greatest concentration of Qarith was in Irdak, and here Andezo brought his main force to the surface. Dozens of Stormbirds and Thunderhawks dived to the lower levels of the city, those which had already descended into anarchy thanks to their brothers of the first wave. Now they struck in force, wiping plazas clean with bolt-shell and las fire before ushering Legionaries into the battle. Companies of the Ebonspear, Storm Claw and Steel Born Tribes advanced under the command of Chief Adewale, both on foot and in their steeds of metal. Land Raiders, Fellblades and Glaives ground along the great causeways, trading fire with Qarith war machines. Heavy landers brought the Knights of House Harkon to the surface as the dropsites grew and mortal troops arrived to support the advance.

The Qarith met them with all the strength they possessed; tracked and walking war machines and elite warrior castes, made hideously powerful with bio-augmentations, a twisted counterpart to the Astartes’ gene-wrought strength. This was the clash of powers that sought to rule the entire Galaxy, and the city trembled when they collided. From the fortified command spires, Darcus and her remaining forces watched as they were abruptly relegated to spectators.

Fire raged anew in the lower levels of Irdak, and the Qarith general called for its deadliest warriors as it broke from the attack to confront the greater threat. While the baseline Qarith soldiers were armed to the standard of Imperial Army troops, their towering elites far exceeded them in the power of their weapons as much as their native might did. These were the monsters which had gutted Ork hordes, slain Space Marines and overrun Forge Worlds, with armaments to match. The stench of glanded combat drugs heralded their coming, and they met the Predators with crackling electro-scourges, actinite chemical fire and searing plasma.

Through it all the Predators advanced, returning fire and giving voice to the warrior screeds of Mardum. Qarith blades and talons rang on combat shields. They parted power armour, and here and there Predators fell, but spear blades punched through armour in response. Mass-reactive bolt-shells smashed into alien warplate and reduced the flesh within to clouds of gore. Power claws and chainblades rended alien flesh. The XXth Legion matched and exceeded the fury of the Qarith, meting out punishment for their dead comrades.

Where the fighting was thickest, so too were the Librarians, turning aside blade and shot with a thought and conjuring black flames to consume their enemies. As with the reaving squads at the battle’s start, shadows were conjured and woven to confound the enemy, the Predators moving untroubled through the murk. Even in the midst of pitched battle, they killed like hunters, exploiting the wreckage-strewn terrain as easily as they would the jungled confines of their home world. The Qarith formations were being steadily cut apart.

But all the slaughter that had come before was as nothing when the Baron of Sambedi entered the fray. A blaze of teleportation energy brought him and his bodyguard cadre of Avikelu Terminators to the battle, and instantly they charged the Qarith. Behind came his favoured veteran companies, among them the elite Umlizo heavy support squads, armed with weapons to fell any xenos beast. Adewale fell into step beside his Primarch, the consummate warlord at once overshadowed by his master.

Also with Andezo were Chief Librarian Mahinka, and his acolytes, and the witch-light of their wards mantled him, augmenting his already breathtaking aspect. He appeared as a figure of myth, though whether he more resembled a hero or monster, it is hard to say. A common tale told afterward maintains that the Qarith warriors, for all their altered emotions and chem-induced frenzy, knew fear when they looked upon the Baron of Mardum. They were face to face at last with a being for whom they were merely prey.

No abomination among the Qarith, however vast and augmented, was a match for the Primarch. His Terminator armour scorned their weapons and claws, and his blows sent streaks of ichor through the air. Sightless but attuned to the flow of the æther around him, he came like the death-shades of his world’s myths, and every cut and stab laid low one of the Qarith. He sought out the Qarith commander, carving a gory path through every foe set against him, and struck the head from his foe.

The Primarch's entrance leant new vigour to the battered defenders, and they joined the counterattack as the Qarith formations convulsed. With the deliverance of Irdak, the Primarch and his commanders set about the remaining hives where the aliens lingered. Two days later the sun rose on a Udosth made safe and already rebuilding, and Andezo's battlegroup moved on to force the invaders fully out of the region. The XXth Legion and its allies would retake eleven Imperial worlds in the course of the Qarith Crusade, and bring twenty more to the Emperor’s light as they wreaked His vengeance upon the enemy.

Edited by bluntblade, 14 September 2019 - 11:01 AM.

• Doctor Perils and Kelborn like this

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,647 posts

The Exemplary Battle is 2,545 words. That's 500 words less than the 3,000 allotted to this section, and I've already established that the Preds are a bit short on words. With 9,345 words, we're 2,655 short of 12,000 words. Or, the bare minimum of 10,000, which needs another 655 words. What are some red box ideas?

Also, edits of the new exemplary battle will follow. 

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts

To be honest, I'm not sure there's anything else to say with their history, or Red Boxes, so how about we just go large on the Exemplary Battles?

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,647 posts

By all means, feel free to buff it up. 

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts

That aside, here are the contents for the Red Book:

Fluffy Fluff

Introduction

Blood of the Vessorid

Barbarians in Ceramite

The Shame of the XXth

The Atoner's Crusade

In the Wilds of Mardum

The Hunting Spears

The Predators Arisen

Legion Organisation + Command Structure + War Disposition

Red Box: The Arcane Pursuit

Exemplary Battle

Crunchy Fluff

Blurb

RoW: Salt the Earth

RoW: Something about rapid attacks?

Andezo

Adewale

Thoruk

Avikelu Terminator Squad

Umlizo Heavy Support Squad

Isivun Assault Bikers

By all means, feel free to buff it up. 

I just meant adding a second battle

Edited by bluntblade, 25 June 2019 - 12:27 PM.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,786 posts

Didn't we spoke about a potential red box about Mardumian belief, etc. besids the Arcane Pursuit?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,892 posts
Not sure, but if we get some example Predators made we could add some references with their wargear, and use that to worldbuild a bit

Edited by bluntblade, 25 June 2019 - 05:32 PM.

• Kelborn likes this

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,647 posts
  • "...of the Warp[,] and worlds..." [No Oxford commas in the FW-style.]
  • "of the III[rd] Legion, having once"
  • " for this task[:] sixty Army regiments"
  • "before turning their guns upon other Qarith vessels." [Is this even possible? I would have thought the controls be organic in nature.]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brotherhood of the Lost, Alternate universe, Fanfiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users