Praetorian of Dorn

Izlude

Dark chaplain does this book

give any indication to the loyalty of omegon after Al gets it?

I haven't fully read it yet, just jumping through, reading dialogue here and there (good stuff!).

Unclear. He takes over right at the very end, in the epilogue. No clear indication there, really. It is more about his trauma of suddenly being alone. However, I'd say we get an answer as to who might have been on which side of the war..

Dark chaplain does this book

give any indication to the loyalty of omegon after Al gets it?

I haven't fully read it yet, just jumping through, reading dialogue here and there (good stuff!).

That causes me physical pain.

Hey, I'm impatient. My reading plate's full right now and I'm juggling a bunch of releases already. If anything, peeking into the book gets me more motivated to finish what I've started and get on with it, to finish it in a day or two.

Knowing the end doesn't bother me - if anything, it makes me more attentive of how things come together.

But to each their own, of course.

Hey, I'm impatient. My reading plate's full right now and I'm juggling a bunch of releases already. If anything, peeking into the book gets me more motivated to finish what I've started and get on with it, to finish it in a day or two.

Knowing the end doesn't bother me - if anything, it makes me more attentive of how things come together.

No, I know. There'll always be people that read the novels for information on the setting rather than anything else, but imagine you make a movie that takes you X amount of blood, sweat, and tears. And instead of watching it, people watch random snippets of it on YouTube, and discuss that.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying I can feel John's pain from across the Irish Sea, and I know it well myself. 

No, I know. There'll always be people that read the novels for information on the setting rather than anything else, but imagine you make a movie that takes you X amount of blood, sweat, and tears. And instead of watching it, people watch random snippets of it on YouTube, and discuss that.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying I can feel John's pain from across the Irish Sea, and I know it well myself.

If it makes you feel better these wee snippets have made me put the book on the "to buy" list come payday.

Which is entirely not who I am, Aaron. I definitely know the kind of people you're refering to (and they're a pain in the backside; heck, I just wanted to bang my head against a wall over "hurr get to Terra already" comments on BoLS), but I ain't. I'm in it for the long haul, and planning to write a hopefully extensive review of the book.

Knowing the key points ahead of time can help with that, since, as I said, it makes you pay more attention to the build up.

The book'll be read in its entirety, and there's plenty enough in it to wow and woo me (as if it needed more at this point). If it helps, even just knowing the end had me lie awake for an hour longer last night, listening to The Lightning Tower and mulling the development of Dorn over the course of the series, being giddy enough to get reading from start to finish that my girlfriend told me to "go to bed, nerd".

I don't think the bits I've shared have done the book harm. If anything, like helterskelter, I expect people to be stunned to the point of needing to read it for themselves asap.

That being said, I understand where you're coming from.

Which is entirely not who I am, Aaron. I definitely know the kind of people you're refering to (and they're a pain in the backside; heck, I just wanted to bang my head against a wall over "hurr get to Terra already" comments on BoLS), but I ain't. I'm in it for the long haul, and planning to write a hopefully extensive review of the book.

Knowing the key points ahead of time can help with that, since, as I said, it makes you pay more attention to the build up.

The book'll be read in its entirety, and there's plenty enough in it to wow and woo me (as if it needed more at this point). If it helps, even just knowing the end had me lie awake for an hour longer last night, listening to The Lightning Tower and mulling the development of Dorn over the course of the series, being giddy enough to get reading from start to finish that my girlfriend told me to "go to bed, nerd".

I don't think the bits I've shared have done the book harm. If anything, like helterskelter, I expect people to be stunned to the point of needing to read it for themselves asap.

That being said, I understand where you're coming from.

For the record, I didn't comment on spoilers (an entirely different deal with its own virtues and vices among creator-kind) and I'd never say the book was having harm done to it by this thread. Besides, I try pretty hard not to disparage anyone's preferences for enjoying the hobby no matter what, either way. Naw, none of that was related to my point - it was purely that "I haven't fully read it yet, just jumping through, reading dialogue here and there" is the kind of thing any director, author, or musician will feel as a stab of disappointment and dread for obvious reasons.

No biggie. All good.

No, you're not alone ADB. I don't understand the constant request for spoilers (one or two along the road, OK, sure). Not to berate anyone, it's just a mindset I don't understand, especially in this kind of a hobby. But as I said earlier, sincerely, thanks for using spoiler tags. I'd hate to have a repeat of my first(only) time watching Titanic when some :cuss spoiled that the boat sinks in the end. laugh.png

Some people hate waiting for information, like myself. BL is, in the majority, a vehicle for details for your own projects. Most of us will never write a novel, but we are more than likely to build and paint hundreds of models, which can be invalidated by little details in the novels.

Like for instance, if some black library author just decides black Templars don't wear imperial aquilas on their armor and you have to go back and file all of them off because he personally hates you and doesn't want you to ever be happy.

:P

My ebook cop was formatted so the last thing on that page was the burst of light going off, and at that point I struggled between turning the page and just pretending everyone teleported away and are still nice and dandy... damn it all :_(

My one dissapointment is Andromeda not getting any more lines regarding each of the legions, I mean, have we even established the psychological patterns of any legion save for the Apha Legion or the Fist's propensity to "If in doubt, camp."?

Also, and bear with me while I double tap the horse on the ground, but does anyone have the description of Janus on hand? Because we have the statue of Alpharius wearing a crested helm and leaning on a spear...

I'll certainly be reading it. Other than He Who Shall Not Be Named (who thankfully BL wouldn't touch with a punji stick), I don't understand why some just boycotts books.

I'm just eternally grateful Dorn is going back into full-on Billy Idol mode. Look at that punk, just look at him!

Well, I hadn't planned on buying it. The Unremembered Empire saga drained me. But I like Mr. French and DarkChaplain's spoilers convinced me. 

I am someone who doesn't mind spoilers, however. I skip ahead and always wiki a movie before seeing it. Not knowing makes me physically uncomfortable. I also am very forgetful. Heck, I skipped ahead and immediately found out Dumbledore died then forgot it while reading up to that point in the book. But I do understand why people cant stand people like me--especially the authors.

On to the book, I am a quarter of the way through. My feelings are mixed as of now. Ill try to finish it before bed and give some information on it. Cheers!

This is, as always with Mr French, a beautifully written book, with the odd linguistic thing I'd change but otherwise beautiful level of crafting. I'm a wee bit in (maybe a fifth). The story leaves me in the dark so far, as it should. Archamus and Dorn are impressive, although the former sometimes seems like the slow follower waiting for the latter's answers. The XX are curious cyphers as always, and I'm excited to realise the level of French's machinations (in the past I got a bit lost sometimes with the Ahriman later books although rereading helped, and confusion seemed part of the intention there :D ).

It's interesting, details about the world abound and fill it out, suggesting things beyond the scope of the book - I read for this - but also for craftmanship of the world itself. French reminds me sometimes of Una McCormack, another tie-in writer I respect. She's different from JF, but like him (& ADB) playful, thoughtful, deconstructing, constructing, leading to unexpected places, islands in the dark that add more light to the setting than I had thought possible. 

ADB & everyone else have you read McCormack? Check out her The Never-Ending Sacrifice or The Crimson Shadow - both have that style that JF reminds me of so much. 

Oh my God I have found my new fav Heresy book , seriously I just downloaded the ebook today and already read it and damn was it good, so good that after finishing it in ebook format I immediately went and pre ordered a hard back copy so I could add it to my collection of great books I enjoy reading over and over . I truly did not expect what happened in the ending, it shocked me to the core and being an avid reader it is very rare that a book surprises me especially like this. I really liked the portrayal of the Imperial Fists especially Archamus now he is an awesome dude. John French seems like a really good writer (almost as good as my fav ADB) I was quite hooked the whole time I was reading and didn't lose interest like most of the heresy booksI have read, even the flashbacks proved quite good and informative to both the fist's character and their awesome Primarch. Hell this novel even makes me want to start a Imperial Fist force which is completely unheard of for me,

This is an absurdly good year for 30k. After years of having a good bitch every few months about the series I feel like a gushing fanboy right now. Path of Heaven was one of my all-time favourites, and I didn't expect to get another book of similar quality so soon. Praetorian of Dorn is brilliant. Buy it. French has done a similar job for the Alpha Legion and Imperial Fists to what I feel like Wraight did for the Space Wolves, Death Guard and White Scars and ADB the Word Bearers, Night Lords and World Eaters. Legions aside, it's just generally fantastic. I'm not that familiar with a lot of what French has written - the only work of his I can remember really liking was Ironclad - but this was great. Class act.

After wanting it for so long, war really has come to the Sol system. And boy is it awesome.

Damn that spoiler... I always felt the Imperium should have lost more, not just in the Heresy, but the Scouring too.

The setting is so much more interesting when there's so little left for the Imperium to fall back on by the Time of Ending.

I'd honestly prefer a 40k setting where the Imperium only had a small handful of things to provide abit of hope, and for those things to necessarily be the things they'd first look too.

Would anyone be so kind as to write up some detailed spoilers. I'll love you forever.

Archived