Duz does RG

duz_

Finished up my hellblasters complete with what's left of my Shapeways RG shoulder pads. (Seems like GW went and got rid of most vendors chapter pads. Anyone seen others floating around?)

Also had our 2nd annual stores secret santa. I did good! Walked away with another redemptor, inceptors and primaris chaplain! :D

gallery_87434_12256_253235.jpg

So I'm thinking I'll do the assault bolter this time for the inceptors. The dread gets magnetised so NBD there either.

I am a bit disappointed with the Redemptor though. He's a giant fire magnet and the degrading profile really hurts him. Tbh I'd rather he have less wounds and didnt degrade! Multiple times he's walked across the battlefield he has died just outside my deployment zone.

Perhaps I'm fielding him wrong? It would appear he does better has a back field gunline than can counter assault when necessary (if he survives long enough!) Maybe with 2 on the table it will up the pressure! ;)

I need to rejig my core list. My RG have too many toys I want to play with and I'm struggling to find the right cohesion without sacrificing CPs and staying power.

Did they hit plookone’s like they did pop goes the monkey

I assume so because I went to look there earlier in the week and I couldnt see any RG ones. They still had raptor-esque ones though!

that sucks

I have ordered stuff from his shop its good. 

Ive just noticed Pop has some Mk4 shoulder pads where you can trim the Spade off it to make it look like a regulr RG one.

What is the difference between 4 & 7 shoulder pads? 
From looking on line I can't really pick the differences?

Yeh thats all I could really notice
Is it even noticeable from distance?
I guess I'll find out! Ordered some of Pop's Mk4 pads + his "floating" ones which I can glue directly on to most pads.

Will have the in the new year I guess and will post pics :)

Pop goes the Monkey is still active.

Check him out through Facebook.

Don't have access to Facebook at work.

All his Chapter-specific stuff was taken down on Shapeways (along with Plokoone). Does he still fulfill orders of the stuff that was pulled via Facebook?

Pop goes the Monkey is still active.

Check him out through Facebook.

Don't have access to Facebook at work.

All his Chapter-specific stuff was taken down on Shapeways (along with Plokoone). Does he still fulfill orders of the stuff that was pulled via Facebook?

Personally, not sure. I've not ordered from him.

However it can't hurt to ping him a message and find out what the deal is?

I've tried contacting him via FB and Shapeways, about his old bits, never get a response. I ordered some of his "replacment" stuff. Should have it before new years will post impressions once I get them.

Meanwhile Wednesday was officially my last day of work for the year. :D

Got some hobby in yesterday! Built up my Inceptors I got from my stores SS. I built them as plasma again. I had originally planned for the second squad of them to be the assault bolters, but with their price drop I dont see the need. I also have decided to get a 2nd Aggressor unit which should fill the mass dakka role. As well as building a heavy bolter dev squad.

I've been toying with a Brigade list for my RG. I dont know how competitive it is, but fits my play style somewhat.

I also laid down some under coat on the Primaris chaplain, hellblasters, inceptors and HB devs. Plan to base coat them today.

I also did some C&M on my airbrush. Will see how that goes, the more I learn about them, the more I question the "newness" of the one I purchased ... :(

gallery_87434_12256_284985.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_200980.jpg

Forgot the Reiver head swap until it was too late. Looks awesome though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Put together my second squad of boltstorm aggressors. :D

Also tried out the shapeways "floating" Raven Ace icons...

A little fiddly to get on but not too bad. Will need a sharper knife to slice off the spade in future. Here's a a comparison shot of with spade and without.

gallery_87434_12256_492506.jpg

Ps yes I noticed I missed the mould line / sprue its gone now! :D

Edited by duz_

• 1 month later...

My tournament season is slowly approaching again.

My first major will be end of May. Im hoping to attend 3 this year. Previously I have attended 2. With a few smaller local ones inbetween.

I had planned on taking my guard to the first one. However with there being a whole lot of hate on them and how down trodden some SM players seem to be I've decided to take my RG.

Last year my list was built around a TSF. However that wont work this year, which means I need to get painting!

Im hoping to build either a dual battalion or brigade. I think my list from last year will see the inclusion of some Primaris which have the advantage of being easy to paint for me because I wont be doing them in camo.

There is also a possibility of including some Custodes too. ;)

With just over 2 months to go I suspect I will be updating this thread more frequently again.

In the meanwhile I bought another bolter scout squad. :)

• 4 weeks later...

With the up coming tournament and IG in general being frowned upon at my local store for the time being I have been dabbling in my RG.

I had a game yesterday against another IG player who was taking his Necrons for a spin. He wanted to take his Tesseract vault, so I decided I'd make some changes to the usual list I had been running. I managed to squeeze out 10 CP's with a dual battalion + vanguard.

I picked up my assault terminators and some Melta Sternguard as I had just finished finally basing them and putting RG shoulder pads on.

I also dropped the second squad of VV's for a 7 man squad, only took a single Aggressor squad and no Inceptors. My Hellblasters made an appearance.

He won first turn, but I seized. This allowed me to StfS my Melta Sternguard and VV's right next to his vault and ensure its destruction T1. It blew up and killed all the Sternguard and a couple of VV's. The terminators managed to take care of a destroyer squad and the Sgt hung around til turn 3 despite being assailed by the Nightbringer.

The VV's did well ripping apart most that stood in their way, 7 seems to be an optimal number for them :)

My opponent called it T3 with only a handful of models on the table and me still having most of mine.

The list was meant to be casual and fun, but I enjoyed how it played and the options it provided, so I may end up taking it to the tournament :D

Some pics from the battle:

gallery_87434_12256_123345.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_22226.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_348535.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_111459.jpg

Despite only firing T1 at the T.Vault and then running to get back into range the next 2 turns, I decided I'd paint up my Hellblasters. Made some good progress on them this weekend. Edge highlighting is a pain! My Primaris marines won't be using digital camo like my other models. I have also decided to try and off white with them too, plus some dry brushing for the smaller details instead of trying to layer. I'm happy with how they're turning out. Just need to finish highlighting the rest and a few other small details then basing + varnishing.

gallery_87434_12256_13834.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_91118.jpg

I also decided I should finish painting up my other Lt

gallery_87434_12256_140251.jpg

/end rant :)

Yep. I love that satin black finish. Is that Chaos Black Primer?

Thanks! That's what I'm aiming for with my Primaris. I want them sleek compared to my gritty Mk7s. Some satin varnish hopefully keeps the effect all in place.

I applied the primer and base coat with my airbrush using Badger Stynylrez grey primer then Vallejo game air black.

Flow improver + thinner and I've never had a problem and I'm no pro

Only time I've come close to blocking is when I was varnishing my Repulsor and tried to get away with out adding either because I only had a small section left

Nice hellblasters. The clean white on the helmet is awesome, and the edge highlights on the right hellblaster are perfect IMO. Too much and it looks cartoon-y, not enough and it looks just basecoated.

Ah, cool.

Airbrushes, meh. I can't keep the fething things clean for more than about 5 minutes.  I've given up on those damnable archeotechs!

Yeah, me too. Cleaning them is so much work, I only use it for the really big models or for a lot of smaller ones. One reason why wet blending is nice, you only need to clean the brush as usual, no setup, no extra steps.