Duz does RG

duz_

Oh and the terminators in general did an awesome job, expect for Game 2 where I used them as a distraction carnifex to try and spread the firepower of the Necrons, which may or may not have been the right idea?

Against the DE I do wish they had some lightening claws to get through the chaff, however they were assaulted as opposed to selecting their target.

May have to get a 2nd box to mix and match some more ;) 

Man, I hate terrain set ups that look someone dumped out a toy box :(

Never seen your Guard paint jobs. Red and white armor, definitely seems like out of the box color scheme :)

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

Yeh the terrain was pretty abysmal, although still better than some other major events that happened over the weekend! ;)

Thanks!
I'm actually about to embark on repainting all my armour, the red and white shall slowly be phased out starting with the Leman Russ' tanks I have vowed for ETL

How did the GT go? The lady and I decided to go out for the weekend, and it was a KC/Denver/Omaha toss up. Omaha won out due to the awful heat, wish I could have been there to drop by and say hi!

Note: Did lists load for you on BCP? I tried to get lists from the event to load up, and no luck.

The tl;dr version is

I came 28/77 players

3-1-2 (WWLDLW)

Was a lot of fun (personally I thought the weather was awesome this weekend ;) )

Batrep, thoughts and pics to come

Fun fact my 5th round opponent who had a similar list to mine but arguably more "competitive" said that during lunch while reading my list they were laughing at it and scratching their heads. Which I'll be honest it wasn't meant to be a super serious list and I was only aiming for 2 wins. I ended up beating him overall in rankings by 1 spot :lol:

List should have loaded BCP can be funny though. I can't even see my own list most the time :ermm:

Fun fact my 5th round opponent who had a similar list to mine but arguably more "competitive" said that during lunch while reading my list they were laughing at it and scratching their heads. Which I'll be honest it wasn't meant to be a super serious list and I was only aiming for 2 wins. I ended up beating him overall in rankings by 1 spot :laugh.:

Yeah, you get those people in the "competitive" field quite often, and they are fun to watch. "I've calculated everything. Your list is bad and you will lose. Wait...you won, without netlist unit X/Y/Z? Impossible!!!" :happy.:

Edited by MajorNese

I managed to make it to the Midwest Conquest again for the 3rd year in a row, Its an accomplishment seeing as that is the same weekend as my wedding anniversary...

As always it was a fun event where I caught up with a bunch regular midwest tournament goers. They use the Renegade Open format, which has changed again this year. I'm not convinced with all the changes they have made to their missions, however thats another topic.

This was my first tournament in several years I decided not to paint up a new list. So my list had to consist of what I already had painted and thought looked good :smile.:

I'd also just sold my Leman Russes to rebuild and paint them, so heavy support was limited.

As such I went with a dual battalion of Mordians and Ravenguard. The list is far from competitive, but was filled with stuff I enjoy playing. My goal was 2 wins (4 losses), spoiler I went W-W-L-D-L-W and my 5th round opponent (who I know) said he and his team mates were laughing at my list during lunch before our match up.

I placed 28 / 77 overall

My list was:

Battalion

Regimental Doctrine: Mordian

+ HQ +

Company Commander, Laspistol, Power sword

Lord Commissar, Bolt pistol, Power fist, Power sword

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad

Grenade Launcher

Heavy bolter

2x Infantry Squad

Grenade Launcher

Autocannon

Militarum Tempestus Scions (5)

2x Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Bullgryns (3)

Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield

Ministorum Priest, Autogun, Chainsword, Laspistol

Platoon Commander, Plasma pistol, Power sword

Veterans

3x Plasma gun

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhound, Heavy Bolter, Track Guards

+ Heavy Support +

2x Basilisks

+ Flyer +

Valkyries, Missile Pods

Battalion

*Chapter Selection*: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Captain, Power sword, Storm bolter

Kayvaan Shrike

Lieutenants, power axe, master crafted bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad (5)

Bolter

Heavy Botler

Scout Squad (5)

Sniper Rilfe

Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad (5)

+ Elites +

Terminator Assault Squad (5)

Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad (5)

4x Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

The match ups:

Round 1

vs Death guard with Mortarian : WIN

Was my opponents first event, I went first and with SftS and my Valk I sent my heavy hitters (punchers?) to slow down Morty.

He proceeded to slice them up into little pieces, but went down to lascannons and basilisks next turn, with the majority of army now out of commission he conceded

gallery_87434_12480_82795.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_766842.jpg

Round 2

vs Tau : WIN

Again I went first and rinse, repeated the same tactic of going to beat stuff up

This list was a lot of firewarrior spam, which went down quickly to lasguns, it was nice being able to wound stuff on 4s!! :laugh.:

My opponent was a good guy, he zoomed his flying melta commander behind my lines to nuke a basilisk. He forgot so I reminded him, he dropped it a profile and I proceeded to FRFSRF him wit 3 infantry squads the follow turn.

gallery_87434_12480_465629.jpg

Round 3

vs more Tau : LOSS

This opponent was a local, I had planned on throwing the game at this point because I didn't want to win any more!

However I decided to give this one a shot, unfortuantely we had equal drops and he placed first so he won the roll off and I failed to sieze

Not having played much Tau this edition I wasn't sure how to handle shiled drone spam

After 1 turn I released best to just shoot the drones first, however at that point he'd farily punished my back line, my terminators wilted to mass fire power as a distraction carinfex in his back line and he managed to nuke all 3 bullgryns in over watch... :ermm:

I conceded so I could head out early and hang with the missus

gallery_87434_12480_458424.jpg

Round 4

vs Eldar : DRAW

This was a fun game, super close as it ended up in a draw. Had I picked my secondaries better I might have edged out by 1 point. It was also my first interaction with heavy pshycics this edition... I can see why people run Culexus still! I made the mistake of charging his farseer (?) With my vet's thinking I could take them out in combat. Turns out you do enough wounds on 2's even without AP guardsmen will fall down :sad.:

gallery_87434_12480_782201.jpg

Round 5

vs IG : LOSS

This was a fun match up! His list was a more competitive variation of mine, with Celestine and some cursaders, a max squad of death company and a bunch of scouts. 2nd time we had equal drops and I deployed second. His first turn was brutal as expected, everything assaulted my lines in the modified hammer and anvil. My Terimanators and Shrike tried to distract him, but his Cadian squads and artillery proved too deadly. Shrike was taken out in overwatch from a Basilisk :sad.:

I tried to counter, however the death company proved too much in their initial strike.

gallery_87434_12480_507005.jpg

Round 6

vs TS: WIN

My opponent was new to the game, lucky sod started in 8th. He had Magnus, Arhiman, some demon princes 3 helldrakes and some other bits and bobs. I went second and figure it would be game over. However perhaps my opponents lack of experience, or desire to leave early meant although he did a lot of damage with his mortal wound output. Shrike bravely took to the air to take out some hellturkies, turnouts out with their bonuses against FLY that was a bad idea... Favourite part of the match was Magnus with 1 wound left sucummed to not just 1, but 3 lasgun shots failing all 3 3++ 's :biggrin.:

I also over killed Arhiman, apparently I had already killed him and continued to roll dice on the next weapon without needing to do so. My opponent conceded with just 1 character left, the hellturkies and a couple of squad of bloodletters yet to arrive.

gallery_87434_12480_517484.jpg

Overall it was a great event! My list went surprsingly well and caught a few people off guard. The Bullgryns were hands down the allstars!

The Terminators with SftS were great! Next time I need to paint up a chaplain for a cheaper way for re-rolls in combat. (I knew this already, but see painting restriction above). And that was with most of my shenanigans never working thanks to dice gods!

The other thing I learnt, was also I like to make well rounded TAC lists, this was definitely an Alpha strike list. I only won 1 game where I didn't go first (my last).

Having placed that well with a sub-optimal list I've got a list in the works I'm aiming for 4-2 :biggrin.:

4 of my games ended in either tabling or conceding, 2 didn't get past turn 3? in 3hrs... food for thought

From a purely RG perspective I really liked my termies and SftS. I dont recall seeing many other SM players let alone RG. It would have been nice to play a full RG list I just dont have enough painted for an 8th ed meta at the moment.

I have a feeling my Assault Terminators will become a regular part of my list. And to think I'd almost forgot about them until RB said something! ;)

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've update my RG

I've been fairly focused on working on a new "competitive" IG list so they've been a bit neglected ...

Today however I got the urge to start working on my Reivers. I've been wanting to do them for awhile inspired by some fan art. Today I heard murmurs that in the SW book they got power swords which got me really excited! Although I haven't been able to confirm since.

Anyhow between that and wanting a break from painting guard I got this far:

gallery_87434_12256_47936.jpg

Working on the highlighting now and will need to get some Ravens on his shoulder pad shortly too. ;)

Looking good!

Have I asked for your skin recipe before? I like the fact that its pale but not ashy/colorless

I think I've gone through a few different iterations which are in this thread.

This is a new one though, which I will put here for my reference too!

It is... umm.... :facepalm:

• Celestial Grey Base
  • Kislev Flesh Layer
  • Fleshshade wash
  • ~50/50 Drakenhof/Medium wash
  • Ulthuan Grey dry brush

I think? Fairly certain... definintely not as pale as some others I've tried

However my excuse is that the new process has removed some of the defects previously associated 

Although going through the paint app I do like the Namarti Skin... might use that in future too

Speaking of which I'm on the final chapter of Deliverance Lost

Wow! That is an awesome book, even though we already know the outcome there's still a few twists in there I wasn't aware of 

Definitely worth a read! :D :tu:

Thx Adi

It was tricky to figure out which way it should go. That seemed to make most sense (lenses part of the helm) and gave a nice contrast

Model complete!

gallery_87434_12256_349590.jpg

Id try and finish 4 of the 9 I have remaining but I should focus on painting my tournament army for end of next month ...

Edit:

I do have to paint the service studs metal I guess? This is probably the first model I have with them.

Curious does any know how many years the studs signify for RG? 10/50/100 seem to be the standard amounts? Given current time line it couldnt be more than 2x 50s for a Primaris?

Edited by duz_

Itvyper they're some glue on pads from Popgoesthemonkey.

I had to shave off the not RG spade they had on them. I also painted them first was actually a lot easier than painting when glued on as you can imagine.

Scale wise they're a bit bigger and bulkier than his previous designs. This is the first time I've noticed it though.

As for my trick ...

I just put a very thin layer of loctite super glue gel across the back of the icon. I try and get as much coverage to the extremities as I can without too much excess.

The tricky part is placing it in the right spot. Fortunately the curvature is slightly off so requires a small push to actually place the whole icon against the shoulder pad which allows for some alignment time.

I've tried with Zap glue before and its been more of a pain. Im a real convert to the loctite gel and its about the same price.

Hope that helps?

I need a new super glue, the stuff my I was using was amazing but I got it from a military contractor friend... I can't buy it on the shelves. It finally became unusable after a couple years. I'll have to look into the gel glue you've had success with.

Itvyper they're some glue on pads from Popgoesthemonkey.

I had to shave off the not RG spade they had on them. I also painted them first was actually a lot easier than painting when glued on as you can imagine.

Scale wise they're a bit bigger and bulkier than his previous designs. This is the first time I've noticed it though.

As for my trick ...

I just put a very thin layer of loctite super glue gel across the back of the icon. I try and get as much coverage to the extremities as I can without too much excess.

The tricky part is placing it in the right spot. Fortunately the curvature is slightly off so requires a small push to actually place the whole icon against the shoulder pad which allows for some alignment time.

I've tried with Zap glue before and its been more of a pain. Im a real convert to the loctite gel and its about the same price.

Hope that helps?

My emblems came from a different supplier, so I am wondering if mine just were not shaped as well as yours. I basically did the same method you described, but when I applied pressure I had issues with glue coming up between the feathers (pinions?) and obscuring detail.

I felt like I was really baring down on mine to attempt to get them to stick.

Edit: This is what ive been using: https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-super-glue/

I think ill give your Loctite Gel a shot.

Edited by ltvyper

Although the gel can provide a decent layer of thickness to clear gaps, it wasn't necessary in this case

The difference in curvature wasn't too severe and the icon was flexible enough it hit flush fairly easy

Who are you using for your icons? Polkoone? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a super lot happening with my RG of late

Probably less now with the new FAQ changes :(

I have split the Tooth & Claw and Wake the Dead box sets so I have plenty of Primaris marines to assmeble
(And even more marines to paint...)
I've been trying to sort out my hobby spaces and put some structure into what I'm painting next

Unfortunately that put my RG towards the back of the list....

I did however build this guy :)

gallery_87434_12256_316137.jpg

The store birthday model, added a FW MkVI Shoulder pad and changed his head for a regular Primaris marine helmet :D

Hobby chore proof:

gallery_87434_11578_297528.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_309658.jpg

I also cleaned up my hobby desk ;)