Duz does RG

duz_

Thanks Nostalgia

Its a bit pain staking and I was concerned it wouldn't work out but it does look fairly good on the table top

I had been contemplating how I would do the HQs

I've decided against them using the camo. I figure if they're present they'll want their presence know and full "ceremonial dress" / colours will be in order.

Also partly because I wanted a break from camo and I wanted to try and show case the classic RG colour scheme too. I hope I didn't disappoint you too much.

I'm about half way through Shrike now, I also have the "limited edition" Solaq captain to paint too.

gallery_87434_12256_250148.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_269165.jpg

Ps

Are those things above his head meant to be frag grenade launchers?

I'm not sure if I should drill them or not. What have you all done with them?

So finished Shrike the other day. He's actually the first named character I've painted since I got back into 40k 2 years ago. I do have a Yarrick and Lord Solar (RIP) on the paint queue though.

Up next will my vanguard squad, I think they will compliment Shrike nicely. (If only he could join them in the SSKT!)

gallery_87434_12256_309241.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_528907.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_348262.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_239304.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_235195.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_396588.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_626567.jpg

Edited by duz_

I miss the optional Personal grenade launcher 5th ed had for Cpt./CM! Extra blast w/in charge distance?why not? You would think Shrike could be used w/VV but alas....keep him w/assault squad to buff VV assault or counter an enemy charge.My question is can he Infiltrate an assault squad and if not Y not?in 5th he cost nearly 200pts and could Infiltrate a squad he was assigned to if I'm not mistaken. Edited by ONDIG

I miss the optional Personal grenade launcher 5th ed had for Cpt./CM! Extra blast w/in charge distance?why not? You would think Shrike could be used w/VV but alas....keep him w/assault squad to buff VV assault or counter an enemy charge.My question is can he Infiltrate an assault squad and if not Y not?in 5th he cost nearly 200pts and could Infiltrate a squad he was assigned to if I'm not mistaken.

As far as I'm aware, Shrike can join any jump pack equipped squad prior to deployment and infiltrate them.

Is there a specific rule that says SSKT Vanguard Vets MUST Deep Strike? Because if they can deploy normally, then Shrike can indeed join a squad of them and infiltrate them.

Just checked it. Shrike can join a Vanguard Vet squad, but he does not get the ability to charge out of deep strike, making him pointless to try and fit in a SSKT force.

He'd work great along with a 1st Company Task Force. And seems like he'd be pretty amazing in a Shadow Force detachment. Sternguard, Vanguard, captain, and something else that get Scout? Along with Shrike's ability to Infiltrate? Yes, please.

Edited by Realityburn

Yes annoyingly infiltrate doesnt confer to other units. So the rule on him is kind of pointless because the other units that have it don't really compliment him.

You could DS him with a regular squad of VV or assault marines but then they would have to wait a turn before assaulting.

I will probably end up using him as a VV SGT or something for the time being.

Yes annoyingly infiltrate doesnt confer to other units. So the rule on him is kind of pointless because the other units that have it don't really compliment him.

You could DS him with a regular squad of VV or assault marines but then they would have to wait a turn before assaulting.

I will probably end up using him as a VV SGT or something for the time being.

Straight from the BRB in regards to Infiltrate:

"Units that contain at least one model with this special rule are deployed last"

And nothing contradicts that anywhere I could find. So, as written, Shrike can give Infiltrate to any unit he joins before deployment. Seems pretty clearly written to allow Independent Characters to join units and give them Infiltrate, since I can't imagine any other scenario where only one model in a unit will have the rule.

So you can stick Shrike in a unit of Vanguard Vets prior to deployment and Infiltrate them.

If you run a Shadow Force as an auxiliary choice and replace the Captain with Shrike, he gains Acute Senses, Move Through Cover, and Scout.

So, you can have a 11-man unit with Infiltrate, Stealth, Acute Senses, Move Through Cover, and Scout. Pretty sweet.

A jump pack unit with Move Through Cover is pretty awesome, since they automatically pass any dangerous terrain tests from ending their move in difficult terrain.

With all that, A Shadow Force definitely seems like the best place for Shrike by far. You could also make him the Captain in a Bladewing Assault Brotherhood, but the Shadow Force feels like a fluffier choice for him.

As a side note, I dig the paint job you gave him. Looks good :)

Edited by Realityburn

Cheers RealityB! It was interesting trying to find completed pictures of him, there isn't a huge number of them floating around. The GW one has his arms black, but claws white? I figured he's a vet given his rank so all white seemed the logical choice. Although I can see why they might have done his arms black because you get a better contrast on his torso. 

The current offical FAQ as per the GW said that it didn't confer. Thats been the case for a while now.

Page 166 - Independent Character, Independent Characters and Infiltrate Change this sentence to read: ‘An Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unit of Infiltrators during deployment, and vice versa.’
(https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Errata/Warhammer_40000/Warhammer_40000_Rules_EN.pdf)

It would be great if you could though!

I would love to play the Bladewing AB formation, but I suspect it would be a dismal failure in all but friendly fluffy games and its also a big commitement to jump pack troops!
Although I do want a 2nd box of VV's. Another thing to add to my ever growing wishlist :wink:

Edited by duz_

The C:SM FAQ draft clarifies that specific issue ( I'm on mobile, so can't properly quote) :

"Q: Can I infiltrate with a Jump Infantry unit (e.g. an Assault Squad) that is joined by Shadow Captain Shrike?

A: Yes"

So it seems to me that the RAI has always been allowing Shrike to infiltrate, regardless of the lack of infiltrate in the unit he joins.

Cheers RealityB! It was interesting trying to find completed pictures of him, there isn't a huge number of them floating around. The GW one has his arms black, but claws white? I figured he's a vet given his rank so all white seemed the logical choice. Although I can see why they might have done his arms black because you get a better contrast on his torso. 

The current offical FAQ as per the GW said that it didn't confer. Thats been the case for a while now.

Page 166 - Independent Character, Independent Characters and Infiltrate Change this sentence to read: ‘An Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unit of Infiltrators during deployment, and vice versa.’

(https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Errata/Warhammer_40000/Warhammer_40000_Rules_EN.pdf)

It would be great if you could though!

I would love to play the Bladewing AB formation, but I suspect it would be a dismal failure in all but friendly fluffy games and its also a big commitement to jump pack troops!

Although I do want a 2nd box of VV's. Another thing to add to my ever growing wishlist :wink:

They need to either change that or write an exception into Shrike's special rules. Since he can only join jump pack units and no jump pack units have Infiltrate, it makes him the only SM special character I know of that can't join a squad before deployment under any circumstances.

That flies in the face of every bit of fluff I've ever read about him. He is always accompanied by at least his Command Squad, and frequently by several assault squads as well.

Edit: Response while I was typing. It seems they addressed that already.

Infiltrate away!

Edit2: I suspect they will write that into Shrike's special rules to clear up the confusion on that. Whenever they get around to it.

Edited by Realityburn

• 4 weeks later...

So I attended a tournament over the weekend and despite my dismal placing (playing IG) I did manage to walk away with a box of scouts!

Which was great because I had been wanting to add a 3rd squad to my SSKT, better yet they were bolter scouts.

Having had a chat with one of our Frater who was also attending he said that using the Scion heads makes a nice modest conversion.

So after deciding that out of all the 4 possible scout combinations the ones I wanted to build (CC scouts) were the goofiest looking.

So I did some kit bashing with some of the VV and Scion kits and came up with these:

gallery_87434_12256_177896.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_213380.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_135821.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_93788.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_204829.jpg

I think they look alright, obviously once I get some paint on them they will look better.

In the meanwhile I have 1 VV that needs some edge highlighting another that need to be finished. So depending on how the rest of the week goes I should have some photos of completed 5 man VV squad to show off.

So I finally finished my VV's!
Actually tbh the didn't take too long, I just kept getting distracted by other projects.

I am happy with how they turned out, they just need a couple of FW shoulder pads to finish 2 of them off completely.

My experience with them on the table top hasn't been great though. I think part of it is that I can't make 3+ saves and the other is I am getting used to this army having been used to play Guard and GK's.

I am thinking though I want to add to their squad:

2x Shield + Pistol

2x CCW + Pistol

1x TH + Shield

This will give me a bit more flexability how I want to field a 5 man squad in future, as well as a bit more durability if I want to include all 10.

gallery_87434_12256_199600.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_42600.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_180963.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_154084.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_2114.jpg

Up next I think with be my Sternguard Vets w/ Meltas, then possibly my Solaq model (which I may attempt some freehand on!).

Cheers lib! I'm a reluctant Astartes collector myself. It was only because of the Montka formations that pushed me over to collect RG.

I tell ya what though it hurts so much more when you fail an armour save and have remove them off the board.

Last game failed 5/7 3+ on my sternguard which removed the whole melta unit from play. I don't mind removing guardsmen by the handful but that was definitely a bitter pill for me.

Despite the effort going into painting these guys I'm really happy with how they're turning out.

I played a game yesterday where a single wolf lord killed thirty guys. I didn't even blink. Exactly zero concerns were had.

Then I realized something, it would have taken the exact same dice rolls to do the same to space marines :ohmy.:

I'm glad I have the kind of army where I can just assign the new recruit an ID number and move on.

• 2 weeks later...

So first Sternguard Vet squad done!
Meltas + combi-meltas, hopefully now theyre painted too they might actually be able to nuke something the first turn they drop down and not die the next turn!

After this I think I might go back and quickly finish off the 5 man CC scout squad I won.

Then it will either be "Solaq" or another SG vet squad

gallery_87434_12256_57493.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_160325.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_43353.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_126742.jpg

AR I couldn't comment specifically on SM/RG as this is the first time I've picked them up.

Their new Angels of Death supplement offers some really fluffy ways to play RG which is why I caved and started RG.

SR I left them off because at some point I will do a FW order for RG shoulder pads. I decided this after I had glued them on. 2 of them I couldn't remove their pads. I know they should have their RG insignia or the left shoulder. However the MK6 ravens face the wrong way so I figured I'll have my vets have the raven on the reverse shoulder as a bit more of a distinction.