Duz does RG

duz_

I haven't slipped passed the Tactical Doctrine yet, but yeah totally looking forward to getting to a point I want my Aggressors and Centurions in the Assault Doctrine punching out tanks like the Hulk Buster.

How were the Nids? Aggressors are the perfect counter to them with Long Range Marksmen imo.

Have I mentioned I'm a fan of Aggressors?

Aggressors did good until they got locked in combat turn 1 by gaunts that consolidated 6"

I used the feigned flight strat once to rain down some bolts on some warriors and then charged back into the gaunts knowing they'd just tag me in their turn Nd I might as well get the bonus attack for charging. Also realised they got +1A each in general :D

There was just too many bugs for the remaining 3 to get through so they were far pitted rest of the game.

Assault Doctrine was because a lot of my units were in CC and most characters were dead at that point so extra ap on pistols and punching attacks was handy but not pivotal. Had the game gone on a extra turn I probably would have switched back to Tactical.

Overall was a fun game. I manged to go first and infiltrated up my VVs with Shrike and my Aggressors MoA on top of a ruin. Destroyed 2x 20 man Genestealer cults by turn 2 and a 30 man gaunt squad and did hurt to some big bugs.

VVs did great but died with the swings back from remain gsc and warriors. Shrike got stomped before he swung. Forgot to activate Only in Death. We rolled it to see if it would have made a difference and it didn't.

Warsuits make for good speed bumps if nothing else :D

Tried to get another practice game tomorrow night but no takers :(

Reivers did squat :sweat:

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_87434_12480_288226.jpg

The weekend of Valentine’s day I attended my 2nd tournament in the Mile High City. It was part of the GenghisCon convention, which was surprisingly large.
It was a 6 round GT with about 31 attendees, 13 of which were variations of Space Marines.
My list was as posted previously:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Kayvaan Shrike

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Invictor Tactical Warsuit: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Invictor Tactical Warsuit: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Reiver Squad: Bolt Carbine, Grapnel Launcher, Grav Chutes
4x Reiver
Reiver Sergeant
Bolt Carbine/Heavy Bolt Pistol

Vanguard Veteran Squad: Jump Pack
Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw
Space Marine Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield
Space Marine Veteran: Bolt pistol, Power fist
Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw
Space Marine Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield
Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad
Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak
2x Eliminator with Bolt Sniper: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak

Eliminator Squad
Eliminator Sergeant: Camo cloak, Las Fusil
Eliminator with Las Fusil: Camo cloak, Las Fusil
Eliminator with Las Fusil: Camo cloak, Las Fusil

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Captain: Power sword, Storm bolter

Primaris Lieutenants
Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Scout Squad
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
4x Scout w/Boltgun

Scout Squad
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife
4x Scout w/Combat Knife

Scout Squad
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad
Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

Hellblaster Squad: Plasma incinerator
4x Hellblaster
Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Repulsor Executioner: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy Laser Destroyer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, 2x Storm bolter, Twin Heavy Bolter, Twin Icarus Ironhail Heavy Stubber

I ended up going 3-2, I dropped after the 5th round because 6 rounds on a weekend is unforgiving and unnecessary for such a small event. (~12 players dropped on the 2nd day, 6 at beginning and 6 after round 5).
My list was surprisingly effective, especially when combined with our supplement!
I’ve tweaked it since dropping the Reivers and CCW scouts for a squad of Auto Bolter Intercessors and an extra Sniper scout and VV.
My VV’s and Shrike did awesome work :biggrin.:
Opponent rundown was:
W vs Imperial Fists 27-20
L vs Eldar 10-35
W vs Iron Hands 31-14
W vs Death Guard / Nurgle 20-13
L vs Grey Knights 21-37

My opponents were generally fun to play against, although the plethora of marines was a bit dull and the tables could have done with more terrain.

Highlight of the event was in the game vs Iron Hands (Emperor they’re tough!). I was on the back foot struggling to score Kill points, but a Warsuit charged into the IH castle and swung wildly despite warnings from a nearby Shrike. The Warsuit was struck down by opposing enemies, however in a last valiant stand it blew up! (For those who are unaware it does D6 mortal wounds within 6”) There was about 7 units within that area, and I kept rolling 5+ on each one. Shrike was laid low in the explosion but so was most of the enemies fighting force. After that my opponent conceded despite leading up until that point :laugh.: Edited by duz_

Round 1 vs Imperial Fists

W 27 - 20

IF are tough, they counter our CT really well!
I don't think I benefited from any of it all game between the table layout and his ignoring cover

He had a suprising number of bikes, which my Warsuits and VV's made short work of despite going 2nd

Infiltrating VV's with Shrike is great!

gallery_87434_12480_147975.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_271668.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_307445.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_382053.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_229973.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_11121.jpg
Edited by duz_

Round 2 vs Eldar

L 10 - 35

I probably deployed too aggressively in this one, although again minimal cover meant there wasn't many options
Warsuits are great speed bumps though
With his negatives to hit and going first he was able to wipe out a few units that were too close to him

The RG fought to the last man though!

gallery_87434_12480_64749.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_67901.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_1840.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_35693.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_235770.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_178904.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_39575.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_100593.jpg
Edited by duz_

Round 3 vs Blood Angles Iron Hands

W 31 - 14

Iron hands are tough! Even when I got first turn (can't recall if it was seized or not)

Got my VV's, Aggressors and Warsuits in optimal turn, with the VV's, Warsuits, Shrike and CCW scouts charging T1.

Despite that early pressure I wasn't able to killing anything or score any points.

It wasn't until turn 3 I actually started killing units, after 2 turns of whittling them down.

Then at the bottom of 3 when my opponent swung back against me my Warsuit exploded and took out what was left of his army. (As you can tell in the last few pictures)

Without secondaries included it was 3 - 7 at the beginning of turn 3 in my opponents favour :sweat:

gallery_87434_12480_268588.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_423707.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_107537.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_365074.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_124566.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_51574.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_96570.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_272050.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_389511.jpg

Edited by duz_

Round 4 vs Death Guard / Nurgle

W 20 - 13

Mostly Nurgle daemons with a Spearhead of Oblits

I got first turn, but deployed somewhat defensively as my last experience with Nurgle was that they charge your lines T1

This was not the case and it took ~3 turns for my VV's to get into combat and then quickly get squatted

Fortunately Shrike faired a bit better before dying he took out a couple of Characters for headhunter and an oblit I believe

(In Death is a great strat)

It was a slow grind game, both finding it difficult to score points. I had board control which gave me bonus hold points each round which helped.

We called the game at round 4 due to time

gallery_87434_12480_158378.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_133230.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_22673.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_334526.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_84784.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_269491.jpg

Edited by duz_

Round 5 vs Grey Knights

L 21 - 37

Paladin bombs are tough!

Again I deployed too aggressively and to add to it decided charging my Aggressors T1 into a full squad of paladins was a good idea

In retrospect I should have held back on my deployment and shot the GK's up more, their new rules make them a lot more durable and potent than previously

My Eliminators did well and so did the Lt Ex Tenbris

I was also gunned down to the last marine, as the Lt was killed he took some parting pot shots at Draigo himself and chipped off a couple of wounds :laugh.:

My opponent was great and was nice to see some GK's on the table, he ended up finishing 2nd.

gallery_87434_12480_84662.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_301369.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_224051.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_21494.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_328402.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_211797.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_195062.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_57114.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_3288.jpg

Edited by duz_

Updated!

Phew, lots of pic's and details

Enjoy!

Loving it!

Two list based questions for you:

1. If you had the ability (model wise) to change up your VV and make them more min-maxed (More tank hunter with another T-Hammer and ablative guys), OR more anti-infantry (L-Claws) Would you do that? Did you find having the all-arounder build was a but ineffective? They seemed to perform quite well for you!
  2. How did the flamers on the Warsuits fair? How many games did you get first turn vs 2nd? Do you wish they had been autocannons?

Thanks again for the awesome write up, it was a great read!

I liked my mixed VVs

Allows me to remove the less optimal ones for the scenario first when taking casualties and keeps the cost down

New list I'm playing with has another TH/SS model though.

As for the warsuits since I play them extremely aggressively flamers make the most sense as they're usually being charged or charging. They make for great speed bumps they're very durable in melee. Their flamers were mediocre most of the time rolling low hits I don't think the added cost of auto cannons would have been better though

I think I only went first against the Iron Hands and Nurgle

First turn was particularly punishing on me vs the eldar he put out a lot of damage and I couldn't do the same on my turn

Finally had a chance to look through the pics and they look great. Glad you beat the Blood Angels, er, Iron Hands player.

How was it playing on a clock? I've thought about bringing one to games just because we usually never get past turn 3 when I play at the store.

Only beat him by sheer luck! Next turn if that didn't happen would have been make or break.

The clock is mine I keep it out mainly for reference I don't actually play the clock roles. It's handy to know when my turns go long. This army the first two and the longest and they come turn 3 most of its dead and its quick :lol:

Did have an issue vs the nurgle opponent though. It had been a slow deployment, slow 2-3 turns and at the penultimate round before I handed over we only have 40mins left. Since he had been taking a while for his turn I genuinely suggested that the next turn be our final. He agreed.

Since it was final turn I speed played mine and then he had the shortest turn all game. (likely because I effectively feel back into the shadows and he didn't have much long range shooting options)

He complained after that we should have played another round. I countered that we had already agreed to call this the last round (near the end of my previous turn) and that to play another round would only give him an advantage as anything I would do would open me up to score him points are great risk vs knowing that there was rounds left I could have managed that and tried to kill more of his units.

He wasn't pleased but accepted that we both agreed in good faith the previous turn and we called it.

Part of that counter argument was that he had significantly less time on the clock and I could have played all mine out and the round would have ended and I had been very generous throughout mission selection and deployment not turning the clock on.

:facepalm:

Edited by duz_

• 1 month later...

A few minor updates since the last event, I've built the auto bolter squad and got the base coats down on an Impulsor, which I may build a list for them to ride in.

Because I don't even enough unpainted Chaplains, I also built this dude courtesy of our Shadow Master Race Bannon:

gallery_87434_12256_21007.jpg

He also happens to host the oddest piece I've every encountered on a GW model

gallery_87434_12256_247808.jpg

:sweat:

In bigger news however.... I bought a Storm Eagle off a local beginning of last year, its been sitting awhile waiting for it to be assembled...

Since the world is crazy at the moment and my plans for a long weekend in the mountains were cancelled last weekend I thought a better way to spend my time would be to torture myself further and dug it out!

I can assure you the horror stories are true! I consider myself a fairly competent modeler and have a heat gun to help with wayward shaped resin, but this thing is next level!

Examples of the torture that I endured:

Giant chunks of support resin, in the most award spot my hobby saw wouldn't fit. Fortunately liberal applications of heat made it soft enough to cut through.

gallery_87434_12256_154128.jpg

This door is supposed to sit just behind the cockpit. It was in place until I tried to put the top of the fuselage on and then it promptly fell out. Seeing as it took me literally half a tub of super glue to keep the fuselage together and about 20mins of cussing, I figure it was likely just to sit in my bits box for eternity

gallery_87434_12256_141878.jpg

Evidence to prove the prior comment

gallery_87434_12256_10191.jpg

Post getting the top of the fuselage on and in an effort to minimse the millions of gaps appear I got creative in my rubberbanding!

gallery_87434_12256_104119.jpg

After breaking for a while to grab some sustenance, the hull was glued securely enough I got clever and managed to get the bulkhead back in after trimming its mounting tabs.
gallery_87434_12256_56445.jpg

After that point progress was relatively quick

gallery_87434_12256_139085.jpg

But thats when the gaps started to appear more frequently <_<

gallery_87434_12256_206052.jpg

The following day I spent another couple of hours greenstuffing (the worst is actually underneath)

gallery_87434_12256_88686.jpg

But finally I was done! :D

gallery_87434_12256_12343.jpg

At some point I might paint here :lol: :sweat:

I can assure you the horror stories are true! I consider myself a fairly competent modeler and have a heat gun to help with wayward shaped resin, but this thing is next level!

Congratulations, you have passed the Rite of Passage of 30k. Only the old Thunderhawk should have been worse. :biggrin.:

It's a gorgeous model, everyone wants it, and then everyone suffers through it. And yes, I've been through that too. Twice. :sweat:

Not a lot of consistent hobby going on for me at the moment

The other day the weather was nice enough to prime some terrain with the GW contrast primer for an experiment I've been waiting for a while

Still have to finish the silver and wash it but the contrast + dry brush worked surprisingly well! Might do all my terrain this way

A lot quicker than my airbrush attempts <_<

gallery_87434_11578_628424.jpg