Duz does RG

duz_

Not detracting from your great work here (the Camo on the Speeder is :wub.: ) i can see why you only have one panel done on the DP done, it looks like a LOT of effort to do :sweat:

as to the pilot & Gunner...i don't think they will look great if done in camo as well,...in real life?, sure it would work, but transferring that idea to your mini's may end up making it look way too crowded and busy(taking away from what awesomeness is there already)...i would think that a medium grey armour colour with white helms?(my personal idea,don't go for it if you think it stinks :biggrin.:) would work,perhaps it could be a designated flight crew colour, it's still in the colour spectrum your working with but it still makes them be seen and pop on the table (which is what we want without detracting from the models camouflage idea).... basically i'm saying they will disappear into the model if done camo'd up...

hope i didn't sound like a douche bag :ermm:  but thought it needed to be said...

cheers, Mithril   

Cheers guys!

Yeh intense is one word. I did look into stencils the other week. I didn't like their patterns though. Too big for most of my applications. Its great the painting event on + tournament season nothing like some motivation!

Yes that was also my original concern with painting the guys inside.

Now I've painted more the vehicle I thinking yes for two reasons.

1 it looks kinda weird with this big black presence in the middle of the speeder

2 they only parts that would be camo would be their arms from the shoulder pads to wrist and what little of their legs you can see

So it wouldn't be the whole model. Also the pattern scale is smaller. Which is probably what will make it look the busiest.

If I was to do a flight suit Im not sure what I would do? Maybe eshin grey arms shoulders and helmet with a nulin wash and a russ grey highlight?

My only real concern with a flight vs just regular RG colours. Is that it could just end up looking like another Chapter is flying my speeder ...

I just finish the speeder completely then decide which way to go on the crew.

Didn't quite finish the landspeeder this weekend. Just highlighting and some detailing to go.

I decided against the camo on the crew. Mainly because I didn't think I could do it properly given they were already glued into place. Note to self don't glue crew in before painting.

gallery_87434_12256_78884.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_226344.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_228400.jpg

Thanks all, yes patience indeed!

I know going forward there will be very few vehicles in this pattern.

I did look at some sentcils, but didn't really like their patterns. Their patterns / pixels were too big.

Out of town for the next few days with work so no painting progress. I have taken my bike squad with me to assemble though.

Also this week I should get in my Shapeways MK7 shoulder pads. I also put in a FW group order with some of the other gamers here to get free shipping. So expecting some MK6 pads for my vets and helmets for all! Although at $80+USD for 2 sets of shoulder pads and 3 sets of heads they better be amazing. Otherwise I may start sourcing this stuff from the same place as my rhino doors... the quantities I need doesnt make FW viable

I know the feeling on the FW prices and shipping crazy expensive some times.  

Whats the turn around time for shapeways for you? I placed an order on the February 13th,  shipped on the 14th, and had it Friday the 17th. Granted it was only 10 Raptor Shoulder pads and 6 mk4 comm backpacks

Edited by war009

Well I made the mistake of ordering my wife's valentine's day present at the same time.

So although it looked like the shoulder pads were ready to ship within 2-3 days I had to wait another nearly 2 weeks for the other item to be ready.

Having read the shipping details I now know to order different material products individually unless you don't mind the wait!

I guess had I just ordered the pads it would probably have been maybe 5-6 business days door to door. Im excited though. Most of my marines are missing one shoulder pad.

So made some progress

Firstly I finished my vow, next up will be my talons

gallery_87434_12256_360835.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_539450.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_42325.jpg

I also put together my bike squad. This was originally meant to be a command squad, however due to budget restraints and tournament requirements I made it a standard bike squad with 2 grav guns. You might also notice my Shapeways MK7 shoulder pads ;) They are actually really nice. I put a close up below.

gallery_87434_12256_356562.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_168675.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_11137.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_57806.jpg

I also had a tournament practice game the other night, a write may follow later.

Minor quibble: It bugs me that we are forced to put the rider's left hand on the handlebars because there are no left-handed special weapons.

The throttle on a bike is on the right, and I see no reason why that would change in the far future.

Vroom vroom yo!  I presume the bikes will get the camo treatment you used on the Speeder?  WHICH btw, is amazballs.  It's been said elsewhere but your speeder really does make mine look like ... well ... :facepalm:

Every time I see the Shapeways pads I get pulled to buy them.  They HAVE to be easier to paint than decals right?

Yes they'll be getting the full digicam experience. Unlike the speeder I'm actually looking forward to painting them.

Ha don't envy me they're a pain in the butt to paint like that!

Yeh I'm really pleased with them. They're fairly raised so should be easy to paint. Might see if I can base coat them during the week. However priority is vehicles right now. ;)

Are you referring to clear plastic canopy or the cockpit?

Generally speaking I usually leave the canopies clear. However given the paint scheme on these I've been thinking I might paint them. Although I wish I had an airbrush to paint it with. Im not sure I could do it justice with a brush.

So in answer to your question. I had thought about it, but was probably just going to leave it clear. As I didn't really have any clear ideas on what to do with it.

What did you have in mind?

Are you referring to clear plastic canopy or the cockpit?

Generally speaking I usually leave the canopies clear. However given the paint scheme on these I've been thinking I might paint them. Although I wish I had an airbrush to paint it with. Im not sure I could do it justice with a brush.

So in answer to your question. I had thought about it, but was probably just going to leave it clear. As I didn't really have any clear ideas on what to do with it.

What did you have in mind?

I've had a little fiddle, and the GW glazes leave a cloudy colour, but it does tint the canopy fairly.  However, mixed with some thinned down PVA glue, it might work better.

Some Nuln Oil run around the external recesses picks them out nicely, and aids in definition.

The two examples, as you can see are red (internal lighting) and green (Nightvision HUD), done very roughly, without any form of preparation at all, just to see what it looked like.  Failing that, some Tamiya clear will do a better job, if you so decide.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/Damosmy/2017%20Miniatures/IMG_0966.jpg