Duz does RG

duz_

Yup just regular off brand masking tape from the local hardware store, was 1 or 2 bucks?

Even after leaving it on for a few days it doesn't leave any gross residue or anything so not complaining.

Thanks Adi, to be honest I kinda skimped on the cockpit details for the very reason I was concerned the tinted canopy might block out all the detail.

Fortunately I have a spare canopy which I can test with first. If the glaze is too opaque then I'll either skip the detailing on the second Talon, or just go with a clear canopy and add more detail to the cockpit. Hopefully its somewhere in between ;)

Which reminds me, I need get the actual address of the nearest stockist.

On the subject of masking tape:

I have an uncle that ruins a house painting business, and my mother has owned a craft/woodworking business for over 20 years, so I have had a lot of experience working with different types of masking tapes in different applications (though never on the scale we would be talking for warhammer). That being said, I can comment to a few things in regards to masking tape and effectiveness:

1) Surprisingly, masking tape appears to have a shelf life, not unlike a handful of our other hobby supplies (namely glue and paint). The older the tape becomes, the more brittle and less pliable it is, this coupled with the non-smooth surface most model projects would entail difficulty with the product.

2) Weather/humidity. Along with the shelf life, in my experience, if a tape roll is older (ie: Not fresh), and/or it is very humid in your workspace (or where you store your tape), you will struggle with that sticky residue (like Mithril mentioned). Keeping the tape stored in a cool/dry/dark place will increase its longevity, but not too dry, lest it become brittle/lose its stickiness.

3) You pay for what you get for. I have used Tamiya masking tape in the past on RC Model Car bodies, with a completely different paint and working material (Lexan, and lexan paint, plastic, totally smooth). I can attest to its quality without a doubt, the paint I used it with had a tendency to pool and be very thin, and that's exactly the sort of paint that will creep (through capillary action) under a masking tape. Also "name brand" tapes like 3M Blue Painters or Frogtape have a much better track record with painters for doing the job, more consistently.

TL;DR: If you buy and use masking tape, and it leaves a residue or does a crappy job, it was probably either old on the shelf or stored improperly. Consider pitching it and getting a new roll, or spending a little more for a higher quality alternative. One thing I will always caution though: A lot of FLGS struggle to move certain products, especially those in low demand. I have seen it many times with Citadel paints in the past, purchase a pot from my FLGS, get home and its very separated or starting to dry out. I can imagine the same thing can easily happen with tape too (especially for a more "exotic" brand like Tamiya). I am also always afraid of ordering online and getting something sourced and shipped from a warehouse where who knows how long its been sitting and in what conditions. :ermm:

Good progress on my wingman this evening

I should be able to get him done by the end of the weekend even if I attend my local GW's kill team tournament tomorrow :)

gallery_87434_12256_415731.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_394922.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_293829.jpg

I think I will also pick up some Dawnstone at some point for my next Rhino (when I purchase one that is). I think it will save me having to wash the entire vehicle.

So finally finished the talons! I have the tamiya orange. Now I just need to find the canopies! I plan on attempting to consolidate all my bits into one giant tub this weekend. Maybe I unearth them then!

gallery_87434_12256_344473.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_562295.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_89189.jpg

Im actually really looking forward to painting up my interceptor with a similar scheme. Although that will have to wait until I've got my tournament list up to scratch.

Yup you can see the little tub of the Tamiya X-26 clear orange behind the tail.

That was just a single coat too. I applied it on the inside of the cockpit. Which hides the brush strokes and inconsistencies.

I didn't get the thinner and attempted to thin it with water...

It kind of worked? Although if you were doing an area any larger you'd definitely want the thinner.

I also bought at cheap 50c brush to apply it with. I think that was a wise decision.

Edited by duz_