Dwellers of the Ravenspire - Nostalgia's Raven Guard

Nostalgia

So, for a few months already I've been working on my first army, I first became interested on the RG because of Corax and the whole Edgar Allan Poe influences going on, then I read their fluff and simply became enamoured with them.

I'm in more for the hobby than the actual playing, but looking forward to get a nicely sized army soon.

The whole building and painting has been a slow process, so far, but it's indeed progressing little by little.

I'm following the theme that RG have a lot of older marks of equipment and minor ornamentation compared to chapters like the Ultramarines, so most models will have Mk 4-6 armour and minimal use of Mk 7+, thinking of maybe adding a few MK3 marines to vary the bunch a bit. Since I'm planning to mostly play Kill Team or smallpoints games, I'm trying to give every model a bit of individual uniqueness.

So far I have two tactical squads pretty much complete (still missing sealing and weathering pigments), and a bunch of other units and kitbash characters in different states of progress.

Without any further ado, I give you some pictures of the army. A few more pictures can be found on my gallery right here

Tactical Squad Nox

The first models I ever painted, 10 man squad, equipped with a Missile Launcher and Meltagun, Sergeant Daryth Nox carries a Combi-Melta.

gallery_93102_12288_116055.jpg

gallery_93102_12288_81611.jpg

A few select models:

Sergeant Daryth Nox, walking thear the helmet of a fallen foe.

gallery_93102_12288_47906.jpg

Brother Kaynaq, his helmet, now useless after an intense melee encounter.

gallery_93102_12288_17643.jpg

Brother Kalex, the squad's expert in Krak grenades and their usage.

gallery_93102_12288_43930.jpg

Tactical Squad Mortis

The second finished squad, Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun and a Combi-Plasma on Sergeant Mortis.

gallery_93102_12288_1016.jpg

gallery_93102_12288_142843.jpg

Again, some select shots.

Sergeant Varnas "Morte", nicknamed so due to his squad's formidable kill-count. The faceplate on his helmet is decorated to resemble a skull.

gallery_93102_12288_47245.jpg

Brother Sparyek, fighting with all of the firepower at his disposal.

gallery_93102_12288_4155.jpg

Brother Kura Tyr, wearing a jury rigged set of power armour, with extra plating to reduce the potential effects of plasma overheat.

gallery_93102_12288_43324.jpg

Brother "Ferrus Brachius" Dex, having lost both his arms and later replaced them with bionics, his squad mates have jokingly begun to call him 'Iron Arms'

gallery_93102_12288_15633.jpg

And that's it for the moment. I'll be back soon with yet more of the sons of Corax.

Cheers!

Sweet blood of the Emperor, these are fantastic, dude! I love the simplistic monochrome paint job. It really makes those rare colors (like the eye lens green) pop out beautifully. The hand painted chapter/legion symbol is just exceptional too. It has this sort of ghostly effect to it that really works perfectly with the gritty look of the models.

This hits all the grim-dark points and pushes all the right buttons.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished The first assault squad last week, but had no time to get any pictures until now.

Assault Squad Kylanek

The full squad.

gallery_93102_12288_131699.jpg

Rear shot. I did a basic light effect on the jump pack vents.

gallery_93102_12288_171195.jpg

Captain Vas Kylanek. Surveying the battlefield atop a pile of rubble.

gallery_93102_12288_46050.jpg

Brother Nyvaar.

gallery_93102_12288_43477.jpg

Brother Vorr Datyr.

gallery_93102_12288_59934.jpg

Brother Harvaq. Sporting a heavily modified MkIV helmet, especially crafted by the chapter's artificers to restore his breathing capabilities after having most of his face blown up by a bolter shell.

gallery_93102_12288_52843.jpg

Brother Grahk.

gallery_93102_12288_11595.jpg

And that's it for now, I'd like to do next either a Chaplain or a Librarius conclave. We'll see.

Well, first come, first serve, and since Race asked for a Chappie, I'll deliver a chappie.

WIP Chaplain

gallery_93102_12366_19825.jpg

Good old B@C chaplain, I cut the head, the plasma pistol and backpack off (Even managed to salvage the backpack in case I do a footslogging chaplain.).

The Bolt pistol is made from a bolter I cut up for another project, I'm debating whether or not to add a magazine, as I look the sleek look of the pistol without one.

Still have to greenstuff the cape back into a single piece, and wait for some MkIV jump packs I ordered specially for this fella.

I converted the head from a bit of sprue, a skeleton warrior skull and some greenstuff.

Now, I'm faced with a great dilemma; I like the model so far, bur after recently reading the 'Prey' short story, I absolutely fell in love with Chaplain Cordae and his giant Raven helmet. So now I'm debating whether or not to sculpt him the Raven helmet and make him full Cordae.

The question here would be, human or raven skull? (Really leaning towards the raven but I've never sculpted anything like that before and it makes me a bit nervous)

If you think you can pull it off I say go for it. I've been hunting for something to use as a beaky chaplain head for over 4 years and the best I've found is a legion of the damned mini the I can't bring myself to cut up.

Leinad

Does FW make that anymore?

You know, I could have sworn blind that that part was in the Raven Guard upgrade set but I can't find it in the advertised images anymore. That's a shame. It was a cool helmet. :(

LotD can help out. I've used one of the less skeletal helms for my Mk. VI Chaplain, but there are a couple of other that more closely resemble the above RG one:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/30/810604_sm-.JPG
]http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/30/810605_sm-.JPG

You know, I could have sworn blind that that part was in the Raven Guard upgrade set but I can't find it in the advertised images anymore. That's a shame. It was a cool helmet. sad.png

It's part of this one; https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-Space-Marines-Upgrade-Pack

Look closer.

You know, I could have sworn blind that that part was in the Raven Guard upgrade set but I can't find it in the advertised images anymore. That's a shame. It was a cool helmet. sad.png

It's part of this one; https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-Space-Marines-Upgrade-Pack

As I've said, it's not there anymore if the current images on the website are anything to go by.

Yeah, the bases are all done by me, I simply enjoy the basing process as much as working on the very miniature, it feels like both base and mini should complement each other, and together tell a story.

To build them I use a bunch of different materialsmaterials: Corkboard, two different grits of sand, sprue, paperclips and wires, bits from the bits box and chunks of an old circuit board I had lying around, plus whatever thing that looks interesting enough. The assault squad also includes the scenic bits that come with the new box.

The average base takes up 10 different paints on average, but since it's a lot of drybrushing, washes and weathering the process is quite fast and looks fine.

If you want I can post a WIP picture of the next batch of bases I do.

Well, there's certainly going to be a lot more stuff in here; went to the lgs today for some good ol' Kill Team (lost 1, tied 1) and walked out with an old SM battleforce that the owner let go for the equivalent of a little more than 40 bucks, so that's a bunch more infantry, a rhino and the scout squad I hadn't yet bothered to buy in order to field the Pinion Demi Company!

The old, oop assault and tactical squad bits are certainly going to be a welcome addition to my force, which is now about 1/3 painted models and the rest in various states of work or on the sprue.

Stupid plastic crack addiction.

You know, I could have sworn blind that that part was in the Raven Guard upgrade set but I can't find it in the advertised images anymore. That's a shame. It was a cool helmet. :(

It's part of this one; https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-Space-Marines-Upgrade-Pack

Look closer.

It's still there. Check the full squad pic on the product page...left middle Marine has the sunken cheek face on his helm.

Archived